MUFC are looking at a budget of about £100m, due to FFP (The Athletic)

tomaldinho1

The pool of the past couple of years yes, look at nunez, Gapko, Diaz, VVD and Allison to see those were top dollar signings, they’ve seemed to go backwards but winning CL and the league will do that.
Nunez is the big one with question marks still. I don't think Gakpo's great but he wasn't that expensive. They generally get good deals, think he was 35m with add ons, Mac Allister £35m, Diaz was £37m - only yesterday some poster was on here telling me how when we signed Matic and Varane (both more expensive than the above) they weren't expensive signings!

I agree they don't look as great as previously but then their front line was much better (Mane - Firmino - Salah) and VVD post injury is still good but not as amazing as he was. It's an interesting season, if only we weren't so crap.

Hammondo

Not sure I agree - I think there are still good players in the team: Shaw, Licha, Bruno although I don't think he's right for us, Rashford surely can't just have fallen off a cliff so badly? Then a lot of solid PL players like Maguire, AWB, McT (i..e they will easily get transfers to teams around the lower/mid table) & some younger guys who could have great futures, Mainoo, Amad, Garnahco. Issue is we have too many of these good but not great players in the team and it makes us what we are today - a good but not great team who will probably challenge for somewhere between 9th and 7th unless we address the goals issues.
Shaw is good, Martinez is good, Bruno is decent, Maguire and AWB are good enough to be squad players, McT not even close, not good enough to be a squad player. Mainoo looks top class, Amad and Garnacho are unsure. Rashford was never that good to begin with, he was massively overrated and limited.

That is it, that squad, when looking at the massive holes we have, in the most important areas, we have more holes then we do good enough players, and some of them are often injured. This is a terrible situation.

tomaldinho1

Shaw is good, Martinez is good, Bruno is decent, Maguire and AWB are good enough to be squad players, McT not even close, not good enough to be a squad player. Mainoo looks top class, Amad and Garnacho are unsure. Rashford was never that good to begin with, he was massively overrated and limited.

That is it, that squad, when looking at the massive holes we have, in the most important areas, we have more holes then we do good enough players, and some of them are often injured. This is a terrible situation.
Depends what you mean by terrible - I think within a summer window you can address some key areas and elevate us to where we should be - top 4 team - it's about sensible transfers and younger players though and having a much more athletic and aggressive type of player by default. A lot depends on moving on some of the older names and failed big wage signings.

My point on McT and the others in that category is they would get offers for midtable PL teams - West Ham wanted him for example - but our issue is we don't have one or two of these players, we have the bulk of the team made up of them. Therefore, it's logical we'd be closer to those mid table teams than those at the top no matter who was in charge.

I'm quite hopeful for this summer, the situation is so obvious now it can't be ignored and the fix is actually quite simple.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The question should be posed to you, or have you not completed your rehab? Do you really believe we should routinely pass up on going after top players and settle for the likes of Antony, Mount and Onana?
I mean, it's hard to take your post seriously when your first point was that we could offer much higher wages than Bayern, maybe even double. In reality Bayern are paying Kane almost 20% more than our highest earner, and their overall wage bill is higher than ours. To put it in context, we have three players earning more than £250k a week (maybe four depending on what source you use for Sancho), while they have nine players.

The only thing that we could offer that Bayern couldn't is the PL scoring record. Our only hope was that he was so fixated on that that he'd be desperate to stay in the PL. Even then we would have had to pay Spurs far far far more than what Bayern were offering, which would have meant we would have not been able to buy other players that we needed and, while we may be a bit better than what we have been so far this season, we still wouldn't have been close to winning anything.

ROFLUTION

So. If we decide to revamp Old Trafford, there's some FFP benefits, right?

What would it mean for what Sir Jim can chip in/what we can spend? And does the benefit start from when the rebuilding starts or when it has finished? (Could take years)

Wheato

100m kitty.

Ivan Toney = Goals
Joao Palhinha = A midfielder who controls games. Likes a tackle. At his peak right now. Casamir-who

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The question should be posed to you, or have you not completed your rehab? Do you really believe we should routinely pass up on going after top players and settle for the likes of Antony, Mount and Onana?
There’s no way Kane was coming to us, levy was willing to sell him abroad but that was it. No chance in hell he was coming to United, so let’s stop beating ourselves up about

golden_blunder

Staff
So. If we decide to revamp Old Trafford, there's some FFP benefits, right?

What would it mean for what Sir Jim can chip in/what we can spend? And does the benefit start from when the rebuilding starts or when it has finished? (Could take years)
Only if they add extra capacity to bring in extra sales for home matches.even then I can’t see it making a huge difference to FFP

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
There’s no way Kane was coming to us, levy was willing to sell him abroad but that was it. No chance in hell he was coming to United, so let’s stop beating ourselves up about
This needs to be pinned somewhere so I don't have to roll my eyes every time I read, "Should have spent the entire budget on Kane!"

roseguy64

Nunez is the big one with question marks still. I don't think Gakpo's great but he wasn't that expensive. They generally get good deals, think he was 35m with add ons, Mac Allister £35m, Diaz was £37m - only yesterday some poster was on here telling me how when we signed Matic and Varane (both more expensive than the above) they weren't expensive signings!

I agree they don't look as great as previously but then their front line was much better (Mane - Firmino - Salah) and VVD post injury is still good but not as amazing as he was. It's an interesting season, if only we weren't so crap.
You're quoting incorrect transfer prices for the Liverpool players. 41m for a 28 year old Varane is not expensive. Matic was 10m too much.

lex talionis

There was a "way". We would have had to spend 100-120m, and there is a fair case to be made that such a sum would not have been worth it (worries about his age, essentially, and whether he was finished as a footballer) but there was a chance in hell if we were willing to cave in to Levy's demands.

And as well as Kane is playing now, perhaps he will be finished as a footballer starting the rest of the Bundesliga season but based on his form so far this season it's pretty hard to reach the conclusion that he will collapse any time soon.

In past years Ferguson paid Levy what was required to bring in top top footballers -- Berbatov and Carrick. He also spent what was then huge sums for players like Rio and Rooney. Ronaldo was a steal, but he did pay what was then a ridiculously massive sum for an promising but very raw and of course unproven teenager.

Think about it for even just a tenth of a second. Was Hojlund really a better buy at 74m than Kane at 120? Not a chance. There was a way to break Levy into accepting 120m and if he squeezed us for 125m Harry would still have been a steal, unless you believe his collapse is imminent. Perhaps his collapse is imminent, but based on what we've seen so far this season there isn't a shred of evidence to back up that claim.

golden_blunder

Staff
There was a "way". We would have had to spend 100-120m, and there is a fair case to be made that such a sum would not have been worth it (worries about his age, essentially, and whether he was finished as a footballer) but there was a chance in hell if we were willing to cave in to Levy's demands.

And as well as Kane is playing now, perhaps he will be finished as a footballer starting the rest of the Bundesliga season but based on his form so far this season it's pretty hard to reach the conclusion that he will collapse any time soon.

In past years Ferguson paid Levy what was required to bring in top top footballers -- Berbatov and Carrick. He also spent what was then huge sums for players like Rio and Rooney. Ronaldo was a steal, but he did pay what was then a ridiculously massive sum for an promising but very raw and of course unproven teenager.

Think about it for even just a tenth of a second. Was Hojlund really a better buy at 74m than Kane at 120? Not a chance. There was a way to break Levy into accepting 120m and if he squeezed us for 125m Harry would still have been a steal, unless you believe his collapse is imminent. Perhaps his collapse is imminent, but based on what we've seen so far this season there isn't a shred of evidence to back up that claim.
We overpaid for Hojlund but he’s at the start of his career. I have no doubt he will become excellent for us with time.
With levy he would have seen us as rivals to spurs for a CL spot so no doubt we wouldn’t have seen any change from 120m If he had agreed.
I personally don’t think that 120m for a 30 year old striker plus I’d imagine very high wages would be the best idea. Imagine trying to get him off the books should his legs go.
we’re having a naff season so people are always gonna wonder what if, but for me it’s pointless looking back like that. It’s more important to look how we fix it not where we went wrong

InfiniteBoredom

Not a chance Levy sells Kane for us for anything less than £150m.

Then if you take the wage he’s earning at Bayern into account and the fact that we would also have to pay more, maybe £500k/week minimum, that’s at least £250m committed over a 4+1 year contract for a player over 30 and would likely have no resale value by the final year of the contract.

Don’t know about you, but a quarter of a billion pound is still a lot of money, for 1 player.

lex talionis

Then if you take the wage he’s earning at Bayern into account and the fact that we would also have to pay more, maybe £500k/week minimum, that’s at least £250m committed over a 4+1 year contract for a player over 30 and would likely have no resale value by the final year of the contract.

Don’t know about you, but a quarter of a billion pound is still a lot of money, for 1 player.
Interesting how the number always goes up in hindsight. Not 120m…150m! We might both be wrong, maybe Levy would have demanded 250m?

Don’t know about you, but United have become a laughingstock of a club that didn’t 72m on a striker who without a doubt is a very likeable guy but is worth nowhere near what half of Harry Kane is worth.

lex talionis

We overpaid for Hojlund but he’s at the start of his career. I have no doubt he will become excellent for us with time.
With levy he would have seen us as rivals to spurs for a CL spot so no doubt we wouldn’t have seen any change from 120m If he had agreed.
I personally don’t think that 120m for a 30 year old striker plus I’d imagine very high wages would be the best idea. Imagine trying to get him off the books should his legs go.
we’re having a naff season so people are always gonna wonder what if, but for me it’s pointless looking back like that. It’s more important to look how we fix it not where we went wrong
I respect the imminent collapse argument, as imminent collapse can happen to any footballer. But in evaluating Kane’s performances this season so far there is no indication of imminent collapse whatsoever. On the other hand, we brought in much younger players who actually collapsed as footballers who allow our rivals to slap their thighs while laughing out loud at our idiotic buys this summer.

InfiniteBoredom

Interesting how the number always goes up in hindsight. Not 120m…150m! We might both be wrong, maybe Levy would have demanded 250m?

Don’t know about you, but United have become a laughingstock of a club that didn’t 72m on a striker who without a doubt is a very likeable guy but is worth nowhere near what half of Harry Kane is worth.
There’s literally 0 report that says an offer of £120m would be enough for Levy, if you think an extra £20m is enough for him to sell their greatest ever player to a top 4 rival then I have a bridge to sell you.

Us overpaying for Hojlund has no bearing on the fact that the financial package to get Kane here would be astronomical. At that price point we will get him (even if we could) and nobody else and it was simply not financially prudent, nor responsible squad building.

lex talionis

There’s literally 0 report that says an offer of £120m would be enough for Levy, if you think an extra £20m is enough for him to sell their greatest ever player to a top 4 rival then I have a bridge to sell you.

Us overpaying for Hojlund has no bearing on the fact that the financial package to get Kane here would be astronomical. At that price point we will get him (even if we could) and nobody else and it was simply not financially prudent, nor responsible squad building.
All fair speculation, but then what you’re really saying is that United can no longer compete for top talent and must reduce itself to bringing in unproven, raw players like Antony and Hojlund and mediocre talent like Mount and Onana. And you may well be right about that.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

If we accept that the minimum Kane would move to United for is £500k p/w and the minimum Spurs would accept is £150m, then yes, you’re right. But seeing as those are numbers you’ve invented… you may not be.

If Kane desperately wanted to play for United, he would do so for the wages Bayern are paying him. And Levy would extract a premium for selling to an EPL rival, but with 12 months left on Kanes contract, it’s highly unlikely to be to the tune of £150m.

The reason Kane isn’t at United is because one or both of him and your club didn’t have sufficient desire to get the deal done.

If the reticence was more from Kane’s side, then that may be an indication of United’s pulling power at moment.

And if United preferred Hojland to Kane, then that raises questions about the judgement of whoever has the final say on recruitment.

InfiniteBoredom

If we accept that the minimum Kane would move to United for is £500k p/w and the minimum Spurs would accept is £150m, then yes, you’re right. But seeing as those are numbers you’ve invented… you may not be.

If Kane desperately wanted to play for United, he would do so for the wages Bayern are paying him. And Levy would extract a premium for selling to an EPL rival, but with 12 months left on Kanes contract, it’s highly unlikely to be to the tune of £150m.

The reason Kane isn’t at United is because one or both of him and your club didn’t have sufficient desire to get the deal done.

If the reticence was more from Kane’s side, then that may be an indication of United’s pulling power at moment.

And if United preferred Hojland to Kane, then that raises questions about the judgement of whoever has the final say on recruitment.
Bayern paid £82m for him with a year left, bunch of tight arse as they are, and Kane already is making £480k/week (hence the 500k minimum comment).

And in case you haven’t noticed, we paid the same amount of money for Antony a year prior, without double that amount forget about broaching the subject, Rice wanted you and how much you forked out again?

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Bayern paid £82m for him with a year left, bunch of tight arse as they are, and Kane already is making £480k/week (hence the 500k minimum comment).

And in case you haven’t noticed, we paid the same amount of money for Antony a year prior, without double that amount forget about broaching the subject, Rice wanted you and how much you forked out again?
It’s 480k in Euros p/w according to multiple sources. So more like £400k. Which is pretty standard for a player who is one of the best in his position in the planet (I’d personally only prefer Haaland / Mbappe / Lewandowski over him).

You could have had Anthony for far less, but somehow managed to both drag your heels (by waiting too long to make an acceptable bid) and dig your heels in (by not moving on to another target). It’s not really a relevant example - there was no real reason for United to overpay like they did.

Rice is an example of a deal getting done because both the player and his new club really wanted to make it happen. In fact, we had less leverage, because although Rice had a year left on his contract, there was an option for a further year. So there was 24 months to go, rather than Kane’s 12.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I respect the imminent collapse argument, as imminent collapse can happen to any footballer. But in evaluating Kane’s performances this season so far there is no indication of imminent collapse whatsoever. On the other hand, we brought in much younger players who actually collapsed as footballers who allow our rivals to slap their thighs while laughing out loud at our idiotic buys this summer.
We'll end up buying Kane in 2 or 3 years for 100m, then he'll drop off a cliff. It's inevitable.

Overhaul FC

Sell Rashford, Sancho, Amad, Shaw and Maguire.

Hire Xabi Alonso and tell him to bring Frimpong and Tapsoba with him. He'll know enough about Guirassi to use him too.

We bring Greenwood back and Xabi gets him to be a model professional.

First 11:

Hojlund
Garnacho Fernandes Greenwood
Amrabat Mainoo
New LB Martinez Tapsoba Frimpong
Onana​

Overhaul the 11 with only 3 new signings and a new manager who knows two of the signings inside out from Leverkusen.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Sell Rashford, Sancho, Amad, Shaw and Maguire.

Hire Xabi Alonso and tell him to bring Frimpong and Tapsoba with him. He'll know enough about Guirassi to use him too.

We bring Greenwood back and Xabi gets him to be a model professional.

First 11:

Hojlund
Garnacho Fernandes Greenwood
Amrabat Mainoo
New LB Martinez Tapsoba Frimpong
Onana​

Overhaul the 11 with only 3 new signings and a new manager who knows two of the signings inside out from Leverkusen.
That 11 is terrible. Greenwood isn't and never should be coming back, there's no way we should be keeping Amrabat and above all why would we want to repeat the same mistake we've made with Ten Hag by letting a new manager 'bring the players he knows'?

Offsideagain

This window will be pants just like all the others when we've well and truly had our hat nailed to our heads. Massive fees for bang average players or worse. Selling players for bugger all. It will all stop once Ratcliffe has sorted out the Board and the backroom staff. All clubs know we are desperate to offload players and will only offer buttons for them and have us pay all or part of their wages for a period, and we'll probably agree. Antony, Sancho and Casemiro will be hard to shift.

tomaldinho1

I wonder would anyone give us 40-50m for Antony. Probably not but maybe there's some nutter Euro club out there who would fancy him.
He’ll definitely hold good value with his age. Issue is we just overpay for players - he’ll sell for about £40m I reckon if we do try and offload him.

Overhaul FC

That 11 is terrible. Greenwood isn't and never should be coming back, there's no way we should be keeping Amrabat and above all why would we want to repeat the same mistake we've made with Ten Hag by letting a new manager 'bring the players he knows'?

Because..... We know them to be good players BEFORE the manager is appointed....

And as for writing off Amrabat already, I don't think you've seen him play live once to feel that way.