MUFC are looking at a budget of about £100m, due to FFP (The Athletic)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I dunno, it was stupid 3 months ago. Then again Scholes told us last night that we should have just bought Rice and Kane for £200m like it was that easy.
The more the likes of Scholes and Rio speak about football with their bloke down the pub level analysis the more I realise what a genius SAF was to get them all playing so well tactically for so long.

Castia

I dunno, it was stupid 3 months ago. Then again Scholes told us last night that we should have just bought Rice and Kane for £200m like it was that easy.

We should have stretched to the 100m mark for Rice instead of paying 70m for Casemiro last year in my opinion.

70m for Case who about to turn 32. We never learn

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The more the likes of Scholes and Rio speak about football with their bloke down the pub level analysis the more I realise what a genius SAF was to get them all playing so well tactically for so long.
And that realization should go together with the idea that players, including top players absolutely need competent head coaches. This idea that talented players should just figure things out on their own is totally wrong and yet people often refuse to acknowledge it.

mctrials23

It also makes the idea that ex-players make good pundits or good managers. Being able to do something doesn't mean you are good at adjacent jobs.

We should have stretched to the 100m mark for Rice instead of paying 70m for Casemiro last year in my opinion.

Perhaps but who knows if he would have wanted to join us over Arsenal and people always assume that you can just interchange players from one team to another and expect the same level of performance to follow. United have bought tens of players who completely fall off a cliff once they hit the United squad.

I would wager that Rice would not be having such a nice time in this dysfunctional United team as he is in a well drilled and performing Arsenal side.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yep.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

He wasn't going for the 100m mark last year. everyone was getting quoted 150m+.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's more how good of a communicator he was, he had an innate ability to translate tactical ideas to simple messages. I don't know from what I have read if SAF was the tactical brain later in his tenure, he leant on others for that. He certainly could convey the message and get people motivated and playing in the way him and his whole team plan out.

tomaldinho1

That doesn't make it any better. It's still obscene expenditure on utter shite.
It doesn't make it better but it changes your question considerably as Arteta has had insane spending and then everyone knows about Pep, Ole and I'd imagine Mou is close. I was going to say Klopp but I don't think he's in the same ball park.

InfiniteBoredom

What? This summer was
Onana 60 million
Mount 60 million
Hojland 72 million

the 400 million was over 2 transferwindows.
It was 47, 55 and 64 million sterling respectively. Not saying it’s not underwhelming regardless but can we not follow the media practice of reporting Utd’s transfers with full add-ons and false currency?

Similar to last season, we paid £48m, £60m and £82m in initial fee for Martinez, Casemiro and Antony. So the gross spend is actually £360m or thereabouts. If we are talking net then it’s in the region of £300m. Clearly a lot of money still, but that’s what 7 or 8 other clubs in the league spend the last 2 seasons. It’s pretty much the going rate nowadays if you want to compete, our financial edge has vanished.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
It doesn't make it better but it changes your question considerably as Arteta has had insane spending and then everyone knows about Pep, Ole and I'd imagine Mou is close. I was going to say Klopp but I don't think he's in the same ball park.
ETH has outspent Arteta...

Arsenal
22/23 - €192
23/24 - €235
Total - €427

United
22/23 - €243
23/24 - €203
Total - €446

In fact, while Chelsea have spent more as a club, no individual Manager has spent more then ETH since he arrived at United. He’s literally outspent everyone.

InfiniteBoredom

We don't compete either.
That’s a separate issue, although we did last season (in the sense that we finished where we supposed to finish, give or take a position or two).

The main point is we’ve missed our boat when it comes to spending ourselves out of trouble. Back in 2013, a £300 transfer budget can get you 5 or 6 very good to potentially world class player. In 2023, you are buying potentials with that money, if you aren’t in a position to pick and choose like Madrid, City. We wasted a lot of money by doing it piecemeal over multiple managers and let the other teams catch up in terms of spending power.

InfiniteBoredom

Arsenal
22/23 - €192
23/24 - €235
Total - €427

United
22/23 - €243
23/24 - €203
Total - €446

In fact, while Chelsea have spent more as a club, no individual Manager has spent more then ETH since he arrived at United. He’s literally outspent everyone.
Isn’t the Raya deal a loan only due to FFP’s constraint so you defer the payment until next summer? If you add the outstanding £27m on top then Arteta has spent more.

tomaldinho1

Arsenal
22/23 - €192
23/24 - €235
Total - €427

United
22/23 - €243
23/24 - €203
Total - €446

My friend, when you jump into a thread, please at least read a couple of posts back. Poster was saying ETH spent £400m in a season.

This is slightly besides the point but no one has actually spent that much when you convert it to GBP but I guess our fanbase is so used to journalists doing it we just do the same now.

raind

It was 47, 55 and 64 million sterling respectively. Not saying it’s not underwhelming regardless but can we not follow the media practice of reporting Utd’s transfers with full add-ons and false currency?

Similar to last season, we paid £48m, £60m and £82m in initial fee for Martinez, Casemiro and Antony. So the gross spend is actually £360m or thereabouts. If we are talking net then it’s in the region of £300m. Clearly a lot of money still, but that’s what 7 or 8 other clubs in the league spend the last 2 seasons. It’s pretty much the going rate nowadays if you want to compete, our financial edge has vanished.
What you are saying is the performance levels are a genius tactic to avoid triggering add on clauses in order to leave more room in the FFP budget?

brother ant

Also a little unfair as transfer fees are only getting bigger every season so trying to compare previously is hard. How much would Rooney cost in todays market for example. I’m convinced Fergie would have signed Kane and Rice and most likely at record fees if needed.

Also coming from a position of weakness doesn’t help. Selling clubs know we are desperate and can dictate.

Reactions: Fortitude

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
West Ham wasn’t turning down 100m no way in my opinion
They did this summer, when he had far less on his contract. Arsenal had to have guaranteed 100 + add ons to seal it. With hindsight he's the better choice of player, but the fee at the time would never have been that.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
100M still a good budget. You can get at least two good additions to the squad if you buy outside the EPL clubs.

TheRedHearted

That doesn't make it any better. It's still obscene expenditure on utter shite.
What? You’re referring to a 190 million difference and you’re claiming it doesn’t matter?

Thanks for the correction, so 166 million pound, makes Shane’s claim that it was 400 in one season even more of a stretch.

Arsenal
22/23 - €192
23/24 - €235
Total - €427

United
22/23 - €243
23/24 - €203
Total - €446

We all know and agree United gets charged more than any other club for a transfer. Blaming that on ETH isn’t fair

the_cliff

I'm not talking about January. Even next summer with Ratcliffe's guys in, it seems like they'll be operating in a straight jacket with the mess we've made in the last 2-3 summers.
Well I think it depends. I'm sure new Owners/Investment can inject a certain amount of money into the club to help with FFP. Under the Glazers we're yet to see a penny but with Ratcliffe coming in that might change.

mikeyt

When you consider the money he's spent and the results we're getting, you have to say ETH is on borrowed time. He's wasted so much, I mean Mount for example (injuries aside) was literally a case of throwing money down the drain. Crazy!!

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
My friend, when you jump into a thread, please at least read a couple of posts back. Poster was saying ETH spent £400m in a season.

This is slightly besides the point but no one has actually spent that much when you convert it to GBP but I guess our fanbase is so used to journalists doing it we just do the same now.
I’d read all of the thread before I posted. In fact, the person said that ETH spent £400m in a year, which he actually has, but it was across two seasons as you’ve rightfully pointed out.

None of that is relevant to what I wrote. Arteta’s spending isn’t insane. ETH has outspent him since he arrived. In fact, he’s outspent every other Manager in the league. None of that is opinion, merely facts.

I put ETH’s spending in Euros because I took the figures straight from Transfermarkt. Arteta’s spending is also in Euros, so I really get what the issue is.

Pughnichi

Hargreaves last night on commentary saying we’re missing Rashford and martial…(bizarre statement in its own right) but then to follow it up with ‘who are big players for us.’

I mean what the actual f!!!

EireRed_GS

We are bound to have better luck with injuries in the new year (touch wood).

Ivan Toney would be my preference to get in Jan. Hojlund desperately needs help up front. Theres just too much pressure on him at the minute to lead the line. Toney would a great addition. Plus we really needs goals from somewhere.

Its not like Martial can be relied to do anything. Id rather a youngster brought through than having that donkey Martial to ease the pressure.

tomaldinho1

I’d read all of the thread before I posted. In fact, the person said that ETH spent £400m in a year, which he actually has, but it was across two seasons as you’ve rightfully pointed out.

None of that is relevant to what I wrote. Arteta’s spending isn’t insane. ETH has outspent him since he arrived. In fact, he’s outspent every other Manager in the league. None of that is opinion, merely facts.

I put ETH’s spending in Euros because I took the figures straight from Transfermarkt. Arteta’s spending is also in Euros, so I really get what the issue is.
Arteta's spending is not insane but ETH's is? 427m vs 446m? Where is the insanity mark start - 430m? For the sake of £16m it seems a strange line to draw.

InfiniteBoredom

What you are saying is the performance levels are a genius tactic to avoid triggering add on clauses in order to leave more room in the FFP budget?
No, I’m saying if you or I or anybody want to say ‘manager has spend X’ then we should get the numbers right.

Teja

They're still stuck in the glory days of United and assume any English player would jump at the chance to join United. That's no longer true unfortunately. We could've got Rice though, Ole was pushing for it at one point.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Arteta's spending is not insane but ETH's is? 427m vs 446m? Where is the insanity mark start - 430m? For the sake of £16m it seems a strange line to draw.
We are 9 points off them in the PL. They won their CL group, we came fourth.

Value must be assessed relative to outcomes.

tomaldinho1

We are 9 points off them in the PL. They won their CL group, we came fourth.

Value must be assessed relative to outcomes.
In that case you wait until the end of the season and then also factor in Arteta's tenure and other transfer fees surely?

You don't just say, ETH spent 400m in two windows which is much less than Pep spent last two windows therefore we should win the league? You use context.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
I’m not saying ETH’s spending is insane. In fact, I haven’t said anybody’s spending is insane. My entire point is that it feels like a hyperbolic term in this context.

I don’t think we’re disagreeing as much as you appear to think we are.

EI Beatle

only positive having a small budget is maybe we will sell players like Sancho instead of a loan without even an obligation to buy.

And if things get bad we can always pick up the likes of Mbappe, Williams, Rabiot, Barbosa for free in the summer..hmm