Murtough, Fletcher & "Manager" dynamic

Greck

Honestly sickens me all these Solsjkaer cronies are ahead of Rangnick. Phelan has no business here, Fletcher and Murtough are appointments made to support the previous regime. Had Carrick and Mckenna chosen to stay it would literally be the same structure except without Ole. Arnold, Woodward and the Glazers need to fix this.

Rangnick should report only to the CEO equivalent not the rest of these ceremonial hires planted to streamline OGS's tenure. We've already seen their disastrous transfer policies. Literally the same unimaginative galactico nonsense with a heavy sprinkling of overrated british talent.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The Athletic did a good article last year explaining how the set up would work at United

https://theathletic.com/2440726/2021/03/10/john-murtough-darren-fletcher-manchester-united/

If you're not a member the key bits are here
I know that's the version they sell to the public via the media. However, in practice, I'm sceptical if it actually works like this. Does Matt Judge really report into Murtough when he's doing negotiations? He should. I'd love to know if that really happens though.

So the board made Murtough meet up with Rangnick years ago just for this long con?

It's likely a process where Woodward was still involved and had the final word. While allowing Arnold and Murtough to take over more of their roles.

Also, remember that Joel Glazer is the ultimate and can veto anything/make his own suggestions.
How is that relevant to Murtough's powers, or lack of these? It would make sense that Murtough would have gone to speak to Rangnick back then. If you want to be a Football Director there are fewer people in world football better to take tips off of than Ralf Rangnick.

Just because he respects Rangnick it doesn't mean he has any real power or influence over club affairs. Let's say, for arguments sake, Murtough really pushed for Rangnick when Solskjaer got sacked. It doesn't mean it was ultimately his decision to bring him in. He may have been Rangnick's biggest cheerleader. It doesn't mean he would've had the power to do anything if Woodward or Arnold said: 'no thanks.'

Was there any player available that was guaranteed to improve our team? January is always difficult to get the right player in and I don’t know that it makes any sense for Murtough to buy a player just to prove he can.

We have a number of questions marks regarding what the team will look like next season. Will Pogba stay or go? Will VDB acclimate to the PL at Everton. Will Ronaldo want out? I am hoping that the new manager will be backed and we sign players they want that also fits our overall plans for the future.
Yes, actually. There are plenty of midfielders I would rather see play as anchor man in midfield above Nemanja Matic. People can say we have Scott McTominay. However, we've already seen several instances where our midfield falls to pieces when McTominay is unavailable. Most recently at Villa Park. I struggle to believe our scouts couldn't find a single player who could come in and fill that gap for us. Nobody was campaigning to try and get Kimmich out of Bayern. However, these are the same scouts who went through 800 right backs to find Wan-Bissaka so you never know...

Also, this idea that January is a difficult market is made a mockery off by Bruno Fernandes, Virgil Van Dijk, Luis Suarez and others in recent years who have come into their team's halfway through the season and utterly smashed it. I won't even mention Evra and Vidic.

First and I think quite obviously we didn't want to spend money in Jan. We got linked to loads of players but nothing was anywhere close to official and it seems as though we weren't really in the market at all.

Second, I genuinely think we've realised how little hands on elite coaching has happened at the club since LVG left and there's a genuine hope we will see continued improvements in the younger players and more debuts. If we can get top four and have a number of youngsters have good bit-part seasons I will be very happy. Then summer is about getting the right guy in and getting him his top 2 or 3 targets.
This is true. I hope for the right reasons. I fear for all the wrong ones though.

Equally, I pray you're right about the youngsters. I would've recalled Garner if we knew we weren't going to buy. Jimmy can certainly get around the pitch better than old man Matic these days.

Yeah I agree with your idea, but you're painting it a bit simpler than it is.

Say for example we want Ten Hag, but he's a bit different than Ralf who's here till summer and maybe even longer.
You have few possible players that you can buy now, who do you buy? Ralf's type of player who may be super energetic and defensive but lack playmaking and on ball abilities or go for more of a Ten Hag controlling midfielder who may not shine under Ralf.
Buying players for the sake of it is just throwing shit at the wall hoping it sticks.

You said Football Director should know what kind of coach he wants and what type of players would suit that kind of coach, while I agree with that you too have to understand that the man just stepped on into the job and we don't even know if he has the power to pull the strings as he sees fit, he may as well be just another yes man...

Anyway now that he stands where he stands I think he won't be in rush to make rash decisions. As a matter of fact he didn't succumb to the pressure of panic buying which is good. I don't know shit about Murtough but I'd give him benefit of the doubt and wait a bit more time before I judge.
Some sensible points here. However, this just throws into question the decision to appoint Rangnick in the first place. Why bring in a coach who's so wedded to a particular style of football if you have no intent of building on it?

I'm worried too. It looks like we have no real plan. Just look at our supposed targets. Ten Hag loves pressing but he also likes possession. Poch was closer to Ralf when he was at Southampton and early in his stint at Spurs, but he became much more pragmatic after that.

It looks like the club wants to hire a big name manager who is associated with pressing in any way because it's modern even though their tactics when it comes to attacking are different. One of them will want players who have excellent close control and can play quick passing game and the other will want quick and direct players.

That is why the brief says the club doesn't want to sign players because what if the new manager doesn't like the players. It's shocking planning in my opinion. If we can't hire Ten Hag or Poch well we should hire someone else who fits one of those styles of football.
Absolutely @Mr. Ant and this is ultimately where I fall down.

As I said to @MileStolar hiring Rangnick and then pivoting to coaches who have little in common with him screams that we have no plan.

What you said about looking for a big name vaguely connected to pressing rings true. It goes back to what many of us feared about Ole early in the season. When we were hearing about playing on the front foot, being aggressive. Its just buzzwords. Someone at the club has decided they want to do that. However, they have no idea how to achieve that or what it even looks like. Hence we've appointed a coach from the German school of pressing and now we're looking at a coach from the Dutch school of pressing and another, as you say, whose sides haven't pressed for long before he got sacked at Spurs.

Its a mess that shows that either a) Murtough hasn't got a clue or b) He does but he doesn't have any power to implement that consistent idea across the club.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am hoping that Rangnick is made sporting director and he would end up pushing those two (alongside Judge) out. None of them have experience in their job and Judge/Murtough has been in this mess for years.

roseguy64

How is that relevant to Murtough's powers, or lack of these? It would make sense that Murtough would have gone to speak to Rangnick back then. If you want to be a Football Director there are fewer people in world football better to take tips off of than Ralf Rangnick.

Just because he respects Rangnick it doesn't mean he has any real power or influence over club affairs. Let's say, for arguments sake, Murtough really pushed for Rangnick when Solskjaer got sacked. It doesn't mean it was ultimately his decision to bring him in. He may have been Rangnick's biggest cheerleader. It doesn't mean he would've had the power to do anything if Woodward or Arnold said: 'no thanks.'
That would be the case regardless of whether he has power or not. Any DoF who has autonomy still reports to someone else. No DoF owns the club or has more power than the President/CEO

roseguy64

I am hoping that Rangnick is made sporting director and he would end up pushing those two (alongside Judge) out. None of them have experience in their job and Judge/Murtough has been in this mess for years.
Murtough has had no power at the club except in a youth role. Bit rich blaming him for Woodward, Judge and various managers.

That would be the case regardless of whether he has power or not. Any DoF who has autonomy still reports to someone else. No DoF owns the club or has more power than the President/CEO
The best Football Director's are granted autonomy and trusted to implement the football strategy, choose the coach, choose the players, because they are the best.

While, on paper, technically Monchi reports to Sevilla's President everyone knows when Sevilla sign players or appoint managers it will be Monchi's decision.

Maybe Murtough lacks that cache. However, if he does then that's the fault of the people above him. They should've got a best in class Football Director. Not another guy learning on the job. Who, much like our new CEO, got the job cos he was known to the powers that be. Not because he was known to be the best in class.

TheReligion

Abusive
Honestly, what's going to change? Are people really expecting Richard Arnold to be massively different?

We have Murtough as Football Director. Yet, we're briefing we can't make moves in the market because we don't know who the manager will be. I mean, I thought the whole point of having a Football Director was that he chose the players for a certain style and chose a coach to suit that. Obviously Murtough isn't doing that so what is he doing?

Deckchairs. Titanic. Nothing has changed.
I’d say the changes are positive moving forward and much needed. Unless you think we’ve been going in the right direction all along?

If anything you could argue that the club is being more measured and taking its time to get this structure correct. It’s all pretty new when you consider Woodward has just actually left and Rangnicks only been here several weeks.

Judge it over the summer.

Is Arnold not basically Woody’s bitch?
Yes it’s very similar to the set up at Spurs with Levy and that useless bag of spanners you brought in

tomaldinho1

Murtough has had no power at the club except in a youth role. Bit rich blaming him for Woodward, Judge and various managers.
Also Judge doesn't really have any power either, he knows how much we can spend but he's not involved in anything other than scouting i.e. picking players. He is seen as an issue because he's friends with Woodward, there's zero evidence of him doing anything other than his job to be honest when you think of all the big names we've signed.

Murtough should have much more power now but the club did make a point about how he's not actually a DoF when he got his role. I think they assumed Football Director was close enough to Director of Football it would appease fans.

Greck

We're a tale of two sets of old boy's clubs with little skill. First is the Woodward-Judge gang, second is the Phelan-Fletcher gang. Carrick and mckenna had the decency to leave. what is Phelan still doing at the club? How does a manager get sacked and his assistant be allowed to not only stay but influence the board? Desperate for Rangnick to break this up. The likes of Phelan need to be pushed out. They aren't that much better than Woodward.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I’d say the changes are positive moving forward and much needed. Unless you think we’ve been going in the right direction all along?

If anything you could argue that the club is being more measured and taking its time to get this structure correct. It’s all pretty new when you consider Woodward has just actually left and Rangnicks only been here several weeks.

Judge it over the summer.

Yes it’s very similar to the set up at Spurs with Levy and that useless bag of spanners you brought in
You are singing to the choir mate :lol:.

marktan

Also Judge doesn't really have any power either, he knows how much we can spend but he's not involved in anything other than scouting i.e. picking players. He is seen as an issue because he's friends with Woodward, there's zero evidence of him doing anything other than his job to be honest when you think of all the big names we've signed.

Murtough should have much more power now but the club did make a point about how he's not actually a DoF when he got his role. I think they assumed Football Director was close enough to Director of Football it would appease fans.
Well clearly Judge has a lot of power then, especially when our signings over the last 5 years have been abysmal.

roseguy64

We're a tale of two sets of old boy's clubs with little skill. First is the Woodward-Judge gang, second is the Phelan-Fletcher gang. Carrick and mckenna had the decency to leave. what is Phelan still doing at the club? How does a manager get sacked and his assistant be allowed to not only stay but influence the board? Desperate for Rangnick to break this up. The likes of Phelan need to be pushed out. They aren't that much better than Woodward.
Impressive that you're able to judge how good Phelan and Fletcher are at their jobs while nowhere near them. It's not like they're in charge of the results or of signing players.

Well done you. Great at picking out scapegoats.

Greck

Impressive that you're able to judge how good Phelan and Fletcher are at their jobs while nowhere near them. It's not like they're in charge of the results or of signing players.

Well done you. Great at picking out scapegoats.
You're nowhere near Woodward and the rest either but I'm sure that doesn't stop you from commenting about him. Is he also a scapegoat? Why stop at fletcher and murtough and not deem everyone innocent. Don't want to scapegoat anyone after all.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I am confused by what John Murtough's job actually consists of.

When the press release accompanying Rangnick's hire came with a quote from him, I thought the club was serious about his role as Football Director.

However, throughout the transfer window we've seen reports that the club did not want to buy players that the next coach may not want.

Personally, that baffles me. If you have a Football Director aren't they responsible for picking the coach? If so, wouldn't they know (based on the reasons they're picking the coach) what type of player will work will with that coach?

For example, I'm fairly sure that if Ten Hag leaves Ajax in the summer, Marc Overmars will pick a new coach who suits the Ajax style. Also, as Football Director, he will recruit players that fit that style. So there won't be any disconnection between the coach and the players.

So what exactly is Murtough's job if its not identifying what style he wants United to play and a coach and players to make that happen? We've seen stuff in the Athletic about what coaches United are looking at. None of them have much in common with Rangnick or with each other. So, again, is our Football Director actually presenting some plan for the future and advising the Board to recruit in line of that? Or is his role, what a lot of people feared, just a PR move from the Board?

We went for an internal appointment when there were proven, world-class Football Directors on the market. Is that cos we knew a proper Football Director would want proper power, which our Board just isn't willing to surrender?
So the coaches we've been linked to, have nothing in common with Rangnick? Can you explain how they have nothing in common?

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Well clearly Judge has a lot of power then, especially when our signings over the last 5 years have been abysmal.
That makes no sense when you think of the transfer committee makeup but ok, he's basically been a "yes" man on fees and contracts.

So the coaches we've been linked to, have nothing in common with Rangnick? Can you explain how they have nothing in common?
I think @Mr. Ant did a good job showing how Ranginck is different to Ten Hag and Pochettino.

Lopetegui is a possession based coach, very much in the Spanish style. If your hope is for counter pressing Lopetegui is coming from the opposite direction.

Luis Enrique is not as extreme as Lopetegui in terms of control of the ball. He can play more direct. However, it's very much about dominating through possession and position. Very much like Ten Hag, showing the overlap between the Ajax and Barcelona styles of play deriving from Michels and Cruyff.

Just because coaches like to press it doesn't mean they are similar. Klopp and Guardiola like to press. But nobody with eyes would say they coach the same type of football. A Klopp midfield can't do what a Pep midfield needs to and vice versa.

The coaches we've been linked with see football very different to Rangnick. Ralf is not about hogging the ball. He's about vertical passes, luring people into different parts of the field and counter pressing to score on transitions. None of Pochettino, Ten Hag, Lopetegui or Luis Enrique sets up to do that.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Honestly sickens me all these Solsjkaer cronies are ahead of Rangnick. Phelan has no business here, Fletcher and Murtough are appointments made to support the previous regime. Had Carrick and Mckenna chosen to stay it would literally be the same structure except without Ole. Arnold, Woodward and the Glazers need to fix this.

Rangnick should report only to the CEO equivalent not the rest of these ceremonial hires planted to streamline OGS's tenure. We've already seen their disastrous transfer policies. Literally the same unimaginative galactico nonsense with a heavy sprinkling of overrated british talent.
What? No they wasn't, that's not the case at all. The same Fletcher and Murtough who are now in charge of finding his replacement? Some support that is.
Fletch and Murtough are effectively our DOF's.

Ralf will not become some all powerful person once he leaves his position. He will report to NO ONE. He will be a third party contractor. NO ONE will be his boss. He is simply there to advise the club whilst having some voting power on key decisions.

Well no because Judge simply just negotiated the contracts, he didn't get a say in who we do or do not sign.

tomaldinho1

Who is the transfer committee made up of?
The Manager, Bout, Murtough, Judge. If you want to blame people for the players we target it's on the first two in particular who have been awful. (Edit) although I believe Bout, in fairness, might have been in a less senior scouting role previously.

What? No they wasn't, that's not the case at all. The same Fletcher and Murtough who are now in charge of finding his replacement? Some support that is.

Ralf will not become some all powerful person once he leaves his position. He will report to NO ONE. He will be a third party contractor. NO ONE will be his boss. He is simply there to advise the club whilst having some voting power on key decisions.

Well no because Judge simply just negotiated the contracts, he didn't get a say in who we do or do not sign.
Judge agreeing to hand out £300k a week contracts to players who haven't won anything for five years is an indictment of his abilities. As well as the guys above him. Someone should have vetoed that.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Judge agreeing to hand out £300k a week contracts to players who haven't won anything for five years is an indictment of his abilities. As well as the guys above him. Someone should have vetoed that.
I'm sure it would've all been vetoed by the chairman. No one gives free reign to an employee of their football clubs money. Not unless you want to become bankrupt

Castia

Seeing Fletcher on the touchline dishing out instructions is infuriating I have no clue how he's wormed himself into a top position he has zero experience and hasn't been at United for about almost 10 years

Jobs for the boys as usual

devilish

John will have overall leadership and responsibility for operations and strategy across all football functions, reinforcing the strong foundations already in place. This appointment builds on the work John has already undertaken in recent years, working closely with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the rest of the football staff to create the structures, processes and culture to deliver sustained success on the pitch. This has included successful overhauls of the club’s Academy and recruitment department.

Matt Judge will also report to John, with a new title of Director of Football Negotiations.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...t-of-football-director-and-technical-director

John will have overall leadership and responsibility for operations and strategy across all football functions, reinforcing the strong foundations already in place. This appointment builds on the work John has already undertaken in recent years, working closely with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the rest of the football staff to create the structures, processes and culture to deliver sustained success on the pitch. This has included successful overhauls of the club’s Academy and recruitment department.

Matt Judge will also report to John, with a new title of Director of Football Negotiations.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...t-of-football-director-and-technical-director
Hence my scepticism and suspicion that it's all PR. Either he's a real Football Director but doesn't have a clue. Or, in reality, the Bristol University crew are running things and using him as a human shield.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Seeing Fletcher on the touchline dishing out instructions is infuriating I have no clue how he's wormed himself into a top position he has zero experience and hasn't been at United for about almost 10 years

Greck

Yeah, no, I don't think you read that post to the end because I didn't mean a single thing you implied about the full scope of Fletch and murotigh's powers, saying one thing doesnt mean one thing alone. You misread it top to bottom. The relevant bit of information in your post is Rangnick will be independent/external which I disagree with as it hasn't yet been determined the nature of his role beyond the 6 months. It sounds like he's under the impression he will have exec powers but it is yet to be properly defined.

Last edited:

devilish

Hence my scepticism and suspicion that it's all PR. Either he's a real Football Director but doesn't have a clue. Or, in reality, the Bristol University crew are running things and using him as a human shield.
or maybe both. United has built quite a reputation of giving jobs to people with little to no real experience in that specific job (Fletcher, Ole, Murtough, Clegg, Pert, Carrick, Ramsay etc).

roseguy64

You're nowhere near Woodward and the rest either but I'm sure that doesn't stop you from commenting about him. Is he also a scapegoat? Why stop at fletcher and murtough and not deem everyone innocent. Don't want to scapegoat anyone after all.
You realise I qualified about quantifiable results. Woodward and the managers have actual visible proof of how well or not they're doing.

tomaldinho1

I actually agree with this. I've no doubt he's a great guy but him on the touchline makes me think we still haven't learned our lesson.

Castia

Yeah my point is why is he even there in the first place? in what world is Darren Fletcher giving advice to other coaches/team? Not been at United for 10 years and was playing for Stoke in 2019 in the Championship

Massive club with an unlimited budget why aren't we getting best-in class in these positions it's no wonder we're shite.

I believe Ole would still be in the job if he would have hired 2 top class coaches to help himself and Carrick.

Skills

Snitch
I am confused by what John Murtough's job actually consists of.

When the press release accompanying Rangnick's hire came with a quote from him, I thought the club was serious about his role as Football Director.

However, throughout the transfer window we've seen reports that the club did not want to buy players that the next coach may not want.

Personally, that baffles me. If you have a Football Director aren't they responsible for picking the coach? If so, wouldn't they know (based on the reasons they're picking the coach) what type of player will work will with that coach?

For example, I'm fairly sure that if Ten Hag leaves Ajax in the summer, Marc Overmars will pick a new coach who suits the Ajax style. Also, as Football Director, he will recruit players that fit that style. So there won't be any disconnection between the coach and the players.

So what exactly is Murtough's job if its not identifying what style he wants United to play and a coach and players to make that happen? We've seen stuff in the Athletic about what coaches United are looking at. None of them have much in common with Rangnick or with each other. So, again, is our Football Director actually presenting some plan for the future and advising the Board to recruit in line of that? Or is his role, what a lot of people feared, just a PR move from the Board?

We went for an internal appointment when there were proven, world-class Football Directors on the market. Is that cos we knew a proper Football Director would want proper power, which our Board just isn't willing to surrender?
Good post. It's all quite baffling.

The entire purpose behind going to a DOF + Head Coach approach is to actually strip away most of the transfer influence from the manager. Murtough's job should be to match the players at the club (and the type of players the club intends to sign) with the right manager in the summer.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Good post. It's all quite baffling.

The entire purpose behind going to a DOF + Head Coach approach is to actually strip away most of the transfer influence from the manager. Murtough's job should be to match the players at the club (and the type of players the club intends to sign) with the right manager in the summer.
But Ole/Mou didn't have any sort of over-riding influence anyway. We have a transfer committee which they were a part of, if most of the committee wanted a player and Ole wasn't too keen. They'd still sign him anyway.

Greck

You realise I qualified about quantifiable results. Woodward and the managers have actual visible proof of how well or not they're doing.
Of course Fletcher has no proof. What quantifiable sample size of results can Fletcher even have when he starts the year as U16 coach? He didn't even have his coaching badges when he joined as U16 coach. He didn't even have proof of being a qualified coach. Murtough meanwhile was already part of the club. He isn't some new face that bears no responsibility for where we were prior to being made director.

roseguy64

What's that meant to prove? It clearly says there he had no say in first team operations before being promoted. Which was my whole point.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think @Mr. Ant did a good job showing how Ranginck is different to Ten Hag and Pochettino.

Lopetegui is a possession based coach, very much in the Spanish style. If your hope is for counter pressing Lopetegui is coming from the opposite direction.

Luis Enrique is not as extreme as Lopetegui in terms of control of the ball. He can play more direct. However, it's very much about dominating through possession and position. Very much like Ten Hag, showing the overlap between the Ajax and Barcelona styles of play deriving from Michels and Cruyff.

Just because coaches like to press it doesn't mean they are similar. Klopp and Guardiola like to press. But nobody with eyes would say they coach the same type of football. A Klopp midfield can't do what a Pep midfield needs to and vice versa.

The coaches we've been linked with see football very different to Rangnick. Ralf is not about hogging the ball. He's about vertical passes, luring people into different parts of the field and counter pressing to score on transitions. None of Pochettino, Ten Hag, Lopetegui or Luis Enrique sets up to do that.
Whether a prospective coach wants to exert zonal/positional control via ball possession, using the Michels/Cruyff blueprint, or wants to implement a fast transition play style with heavy emphasis on quick,incisive vertical passes. What they have in common is that both approaches look to press high and play the game in the opponents half. Applying pressure high up the pitch isn't something we should define a coach by imo, because in the game today the coaches who look to play the game in the opponents half with and without the ball, will have their teams applying high pressure by default.

Rangnick and ten Hag have more in common than most people realise imo. Of course there's subtle differences, which I've explained above. But both coaches look to play the game in the opponents half with emphasis on verticality. Ten Hag isn't wedded to the Michels/Cruyff blueprint and his Ajax team is like a hybrid version of a Jurgen Klopp and a Guardiola team imo, that has the ability to control possession, which gives them a controlled rest phase or to explode on the turn over with heavy emphasis on verticality.

Also clubs like Bayern, Dortmund and even RB Leipzig have changed head coaches, who were different in their approaches to the game. Rangnick brought in Nagelsmann to replace Hassenhuttl at Leipzig, and Hassenhuttl's football was more in line with Rangnick's approach. Bayern replaced Guardiola with Ancelotti and Dortmund went from Jurgen Klopp, who is a fast transition coach to Thomas Tuchel who is a possession coach. They also fired possession coach Favre and replaced him with fast transition coach Marco Rose.

Last edited:

roseguy64

But Ole/Mou didn't have any sort of over-riding influence anyway. We have a transfer committee which they were a part of, if most of the committee wanted a player and Ole wasn't too keen. They'd still sign him anyway.
Which looks like the case with Donny.

roseguy64

Of course Fletcher has no proof. What quantifiable sample size of results can Fletcher even have when he starts the year as U16 coach? He didn't even have his coaching badges when he joined as U16 coach. He didn't even have proof of being a qualified coach. Murtough meanwhile was already part of the club. He isn't some new face that bears no responsibility for where we were prior to being made director.
Okay?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What's that meant to prove? It clearly says there he had no say in first team operations before being promoted. Which was my whole point.
That basically means he modernised the club and created the structures which enabled the club to have a functioning recruitment department which didn't exist before . And he's been doing that work for nearly two decades. And when he completed the job he went back to working with the youth and also developing the sports science department at the club, which didn't exist.

roseguy64

That basically means he modernised the club and created the structures which enabled the club to have a functioning recruitment department which didn't exist before . And he's been doing that work for nearly two decades. And when he completed the job he went back to working with the youth and also developing the sports science department at the club, which didn't exist.
I understand that and knew that already.