Nani | Contract & Transfer talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

POF

I don't understand why we don't keep him. He'd still be our best winger and most creative player if we played him.

4.5m is just robbery, nothing else.
Absolutely abysmal business. Woodward should be ashamed of that. If Real Madrid sold players like Nani and Kagawa in similar situations they'd get £35-40m. Just over £11m for either would be robbery, let alone both combined.

Ekeke

With the form he showed in the champions league group stages last season (4 goals, 2 assists in 5 games, easily one of the best in his position) he's worthy of the high wage

In fact one might say we could very much use a player to play as well as he did, when we even get into the group stages ourself...

ThanksBoss26

The problem I think is some of the contracts we've given out in recent seasons, meaning we're then forced to sell players we don't want for low fees because they're on big wages. Nani is an example of that and I think it's the right time for him to go although generally I'll look back on him as having been a decent enough player for us for the most part.

However, he got a five year contract, probably on about 100k a week, on the back of a pretty poor season by his standards in Ferguson's last year. He did nothing in Moyes' season and last year we loaned him out whilst paying his wages. So we've had nothing out of him really for the last three years. Because of that wage and the length of time left on his contract though, we can't demand a big fee. It was the same with Anderson's contract, though a different situation I suppose in that I thought he was a complete waster.

We've seen now with the problem we've got with De Gea entering the last year of his deal, that contracts are a pretty fine balancing act. I'm just not sure we've made particularly good judgments on them over the last few years.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Absolutely abysmal business. Woodward should be ashamed of that. If Real Madrid sold players like Nani and Kagawa in similar situations they'd get £35-40m. Just over £11m for either would be robbery, let alone both combined.
Fully agree. For me still 2 of the very best creative Players out there.

Sam

Sad way for it all to end really. I still can't believe that all 4 of those summer 2007 signings ended up how they did.

Stadjer

So he is gone. A shame, really liked him and always hoped he would unleash his full potential and become one of the best in the world.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If we could have got more, we would have got more.

The fact that no team bigger than Fenerbache was willing to capture Nani at such a low fee shows exactly what poor value they thought he was on those wages.

It also shows exactly why we were right to sell Nani. If he wasn't good value for them then he certainly wasn't good value for us given he would have just been a squad player here. We can do better.

Super Nani

Damn, we've finally sold him then! I knew I'd regret this user name, if he signs for us next week could I possibly request a change to Super Schneiderlin? Or maybe I should just learn from the Nani error and not have a player name. I do actually think we will announce his signing next week sometime though now it's clear Nani and RvP are both off, before Wednesday I reckon.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Damn, we've finally sold him then! I knew I'd regret this user name, if he signs for us next week could I possibly request a change to Super Schneiderlin? Or maybe I should just learn from the Nani error and not have a player name. I do actually think we will announce his signing next week sometime though now it's clear Nani and RvP are both off, before Wednesday I reckon.
That sounds a bit meh, not nearly as cool as Super Nani.
Super Ramos however :drool:

Super Nani

That sounds a bit meh, not nearly as cool as Super Nani.
Super Ramos however :drool:
Oh it's definitely not as good, it's just going to be weird having Nani now he will be playing at Fenerbahce of all places. Super Ramos would be a very acceptable name change if he joins, only way it could be topped would be Super Schweinsteiger.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Oh it's definitely not as good, it's just going to be weird having Nani now he will be playing at Fenerbahce of all places. Super Ramos would be a very acceptable name change if he joins, only way it could be topped would be Super Schweinsteiger.
Yeah, or Super Schweini.

Btw Super Morgan seems alright, too.

If we fail to sign all three then there's still Super Memphis!

Sam

Super Sammy Ameobi?

stevoc

Sad way for it all to end really. I still can't believe that all 4 of those summer 2007 signings ended up how they did.
Yeah was just thinking the same earlier. They were all great that first year when we won the CL then (bar Nani's two great years) it all pretty much went tits up for us with them.

Hargreaves 3 years of injuries, Tevez turned to shit then left, Anderson turned to shit/got injured a lot/put on a stone and Nani drifted from sensational to frustrating for most of the next 6 years.

Out of the four Nani in hindsight was the only one who proved useful for us and sort of justified his fee.

Devil may care

So Nani's United adventure finally ends, there were some good times where he was magic, shame it didn't last as long as hoped. Now maybe he can tell RvP how lovely the Fenerbache fans are.

Last edited:

RedDevil@84

Couldn't Sporting Lisbon pay this 4.5M or was it that Nani would rather be in Turkey than be in Portugal?

hbgreg

The myth that we are bad at getting rid of players was proven wrong beyond doubt when Anderson left in January.

Gazza

Yeah was just thinking the same earlier. They were all great that first year when we won the CL then (bar Nani's two great years) it all pretty much went tits up for us with them.

Hargreaves 3 years of injuries, Tevez turned to shit then left, Anderson turned to shit/got injured a lot/put on a stone and Nani drifted from sensational to frustrating for most of the next 6 years.

Out of the four Nani in hindsight was the only one who proved useful for us and sort of justified his fee.
Especially weird to think that all 4 of them scored penalties in the shootout in Moscow!

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I guess he will enhoy his time in Istanbul. He will become one of the absolute superstars there and he will receive the respect and love from the fans.

finneh

In either case, the wages are the main reason we got less for him.
Of course. People play up how great some clubs are at selling players and how terrible we are, but the truth is that the market pretty much runs itself.

If there were 4-5 clubs willing to pay Nani over £100k a week and a fee of over £20m then we'd have sold him for over £20m. If there is only one club who will pay up to £6m, then there isn't much the club can do. We could play hardball for an extra £2m, but that risks them pulling out and him potentially costing us another £5m in wages next season. Naturally there are times to play hardball (De Gea) and times where the gamble isn't worth the risk. It's a smart decision by the club.

Likewise people say Chelsea are great at receiving fee's, which isn't really true. What Chelsea are good at is keeping their fringe players on lowish salaries (as well as putting them in the shop window and selling when demand is higher). This lower salary firstly increases the amount of clubs that could get involved in a bidding war and secondly once 4-5 clubs are interested naturally the cost gets driven up. The likes of Bertrand, Lukaku & Salah were all on around £35k per week when sold (or about to be), which even with a decent pay rise would have their salary at around £12m over 5 years, compared to the £25m Nani is on. That £13m differential is the difference between a £19m fee received and a £6m fee received. That's before you take into consideration the bidding war that would take place if dozens more clubs who probably wanted to sign him could afford his salary.

You look at the fees paid for our lower earners and we do quite well. Bebe for £2.5m, Buttner for £4.5m, Keane for £3m, Zaha for £6m. That's all pretty solid business.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

so this one is a done deal then- is there any particular reason that so many Portuguese players end up in Turkey?!

http://www.fenerbahce.org/detay.asp?ContentID=45752
Because they are too shit to play in a better league and too good to play in a worse league also these Turkish clubs love to go for star players that ended up on a side track and they are willing to pay the high wages for them. Nani perfectly fits into that category.

SirAF

Ageist
Of course. People play up how great some clubs are at selling players and how terrible we are, but the truth is that the market pretty much runs itself.

If there were 4-5 clubs willing to pay Nani over £100k a week and a fee of over £20m then we'd have sold him for over £20m. If there is only one club who will pay up to £6m, then there isn't much the club can do. We could play hardball for an extra £2m, but that risks them pulling out and him potentially costing us another £5m in wages next season. Naturally there are times to play hardball (De Gea) and times where the gamble isn't worth the risk. It's a smart decision by the club.

Likewise people say Chelsea are great at receiving fee's, which isn't really true. What Chelsea are good at is keeping their fringe players on lowish salaries (as well as putting them in the shop window and selling when demand is higher). This lower salary firstly increases the amount of clubs that could get involved in a bidding war and secondly once 4-5 clubs are interested naturally the cost gets driven up. The likes of Bertrand, Lukaku & Salah were all on around £35k per week when sold (or about to be), which even with a decent pay rise would have their salary at around £12m over 5 years, compared to the £25m Nani is on. That £13m differential is the difference between a £19m fee received and a £6m fee received. That's before you take into consideration the bidding war that would take place if dozens more clubs who probably wanted to sign him could afford his salary.

You look at the fees paid for our lower earners and we do quite well. Bebe for £2.5m, Buttner for £4.5m, Keane for £3m, Zaha for £6m. That's all pretty solid business.
Finally, some sense!

Mister Ed

No club would've got much more than we did because of his wages.
No club would have kept him on for so long and no club would have given him a 5 year contract on £100k a week when he was in that form.

There was a time (2-3 years ago) Nani was wanted by clubs like Inter, Juve and later also Zenit. If we had sold him then like we should have we could have gotten €20m for him. If we had sold him on his prime under Fergie I think we could have had €35m or something for him.

Mister Ed

Keane and Büttner were solid business.

Bébé and Zaha not considering how much we paid for them in the first place.

finneh

Keane and Büttner were solid business.

Bébé and Zaha not considering how much we paid for them in the first place.
What you pay for a player has no bearing on how good the business in selling them is once they've not worked out. They are two completely independent criteria. We bought them horrendously; but sold them perfectly competently.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
No club would have kept him on for so long and no club would have given him a 5 year contract on £100k a week when he was in that form.

There was a time (2-3 years ago) Nani was wanted by clubs like Inter, Juve and later also Zenit. If we had sold him then like we should have we could have gotten €20m for him. If we had sold him on his prime under Fergie I think we could have had €35m or something for him.
Why would we sell a player in his prime?

Mister Ed

What you pay for a player has no bearing on how good the business in selling them is once they've not worked out. They are two completely independent criteria. We bought them horrendously; but sold them perfectly competently.
Fair enough

Yet point still stands club doesn't deserve big praise for adequatley cleaning up a mess they created in the first place.

It is like managing to set the house on fire and then getting applauded because you managed to save big screen tv

Raoul

Admin
Staff

We could've done that or used him more here. At the end of the day its the clubs money not ours, which makes it all the more bizarre that people are moaning about transfer fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.