Nathan Ake (Close to signing for Man City, £40m fee)

Posh Red

People, chill! Ole is probably not even looking at Ake as an option, it’s just a nice thing to say to boost the confidence of a still developing defender. He may not even want a left footed CB. I totally see this as Ole being a real people person and extending his man management skills beyond his own team, which is something Sir Alex used to do too (and I bet if we could have heard his conversations, stuff like this would happen all the time, to the most unlikely of candidates).
It’s win win for Ole - Be a nice guy and throw the guy some hope because he does have promise and if he happens to take that and run with it, maybe he’ll remember that if we are in for him at a later date. I actually think it’s pretty masterful from Ole.
Seen Pep doing similar things in the past too to be fair

croadyman

Ake would become a squad option fairly soon after coming here, I rate Lindelof higher. If we managed a swap deal for say Jones, I'd be all for it. But, considering this is highly unlikely, I would rather we take our time to find the ideal player, like with previous signings.

With all the trouble at Barcelona right now, I wouldn't be inclined to try and turn Lenglet's head our way.
Yeah I am coming round to this way of thinking and waiting certainly paid off for that lot down the East Lancs.

Infra-red

On my first listen I also thought it was that but that was because I saw the caption first, weird how your brain tricks you like that.

After listening to it again it's clear - but I think Ole was just being cheeky rather than tapping him up.
Yes, quite possibly. The full exchange is:

Ole: "Good luck on Sunday, against Leicester."
Ake: "Cheers, thanks."
Ole: "We need a left-footed centreback, so just keep going."

In that context, he may well just be trying to motivate the player with a slightly cheeky throwaway comment.

Aré there actually any other top left-footed CBs in world football atm? I know Alaba is playing there for Bayern but can’t think of many others.
Not many top ones. The following are decent left-footed players/prospects, who can both pass and head the ball:

Romagnoli (Milan)
Bastoni (Inter)
Badiashile (Monaco)
Gabriel (Lille)
Torunarigha (Hertha)

Malang Sarr isn't as good in the air, but he's quick, good on the ball and a free transfer this summer.

Gerald G

Yuck. He's not better than Lindelof. If we wanted another CB for depth purposes, then I wouldn't care, but we need a top class CB to partner Maguire and top class he is not!

lysglimt

Scout
Ake is a good defender - and I would love to him as back-up, but not as first choice

croadyman

Ake is a good defender - and I would love to him as back-up, but not as first choice
Yeah I think we should bide our time until the best option comes along,much like we did with Wan Bissaka & hopefully Sancho.

RU Devil

Considering the budgetary constraints, Ake wouldn't be a bad choice as long as it's no more than $25mil. He'd at least improve the squad & provide some competition, but we definitely have to cull the CB room of dead weight. He's been a good CB for what has been a decent team punching above it's monetary weight and I wouldn't be shocked to see a top 6/8 team snaffle him from Bournemouth when they get relegated.

tomaldinho1

We also don't have to buy someone to replace Maguire or Lindelof, we can always sign someone like Ake with the view to him being first choice in a couple of seasons (obviously he can fast-track this himself) because at 25 he's still pretty young for a CB and if Smalling leaves, Bailly's fitness is an issue, not even worth mentioning Jones, Axel has injury issues, Rojo is off then we're actually quite light in the CB department when it comes to reliability.

He can probably get 1st team football elsewhere ad I see him going to Spurs or Everton but he's definitely a solid player, even if not quite in that elite bracket.

H10

Huseyin 10
He isn't much better than what we have, if at all. Need to look elsewhere if we do indeed want to improve at CB.

kidbob

I think if the plan was to offload Rojo, Jones and Smalling and replace them with Ake for a rotational role then that would't be so bad. I'm not keen on the idea of signing him as the long term option beside Maguire.

A bit like if we can get rid of Lingard, Pereira and Mata and just replace them with Grealish but has no bearing on getting Sancho.

Pav1878

Does Ake get much game time for the Netherlands ? Or is it mainly VVD and De Ligt?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Salisu is where it's at.
Trajectory is eerily similar to Bailly. Entire youth football outside of European soil until 19 where he had one season with a Spanish B team before bursting out in the first XI the season later.

Bailly was some talent until the injuries, so I’m not necessarily holding it against Salisu. Just wonder if he has the same inherent flaws that were never ironed out of his game during development (e.g. Bailly’s inability to head a ball successfully).

lsd

The Oracle
Ole clearly said you need a bit of luck and nothing like we need a left sided centre back

croadyman

Haha love it.

I’m assuming you mean Upamecano? I mean the priority after RW is up in the air really but I do think for ~£40m you’re going to struggle to find a better young CB.
This reddit guy is supposed to be tier 2 for transfers so thought it was worth me sharing this information with you in regards to our second priority after RW

Priority: The absolute priority is to get a RW in, secondary seems to be more on the CB front, and then another creative midfielder (Note this info came in BEFORE AkeGate).

MrSingh2002

The same people probably sniffed at Ighalo signing for us. Motivated players with a point to prove can do wonders. He's worth a place in our squad if we're interested.

Jones, Smalling and Rojo to leave gives us atleast two spaces at CB. Why not Ake plus a world class CB.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ole clearly said you need a bit of luck and nothing like we need a left sided centre back
Nah I think he definitely said we need a left sided centre back but the fact people are reading anything into that throw away jokey comment is the problem here.

kirk buttercup

Nah I think he definitely said we need a left sided centre back but the fact people are reading anything into that throw away jokey comment is the problem here.
I think it was probably a throw away comment too . However I wouldn't be against him signing for the right price , he is a good player and better than a few options we have here .

RooneyLegend

Trajectory is eerily similar to Bailly. Entire youth football outside of European soil until 19 where he had one season with a Spanish B team before bursting out in the first XI the season later.

Bailly was some talent until the injuries, so I’m not necessarily holding it against Salisu. Just wonder if he has the same inherent flaws that were never ironed out of his game during development (e.g. Bailly’s inability to head a ball successfully).
Nope, he's dominant in the air. All that matters not one jot, he's better than Bailly ever was in Spain.

lsd

The Oracle

Does adding keep going after saying we need a centre back make any sense though ? I wouldn't offer someone a job by saying "hey we need someone to start work tomorrow keep going "

jamesjimmybyrondean

The only thing I take away from the comment is that it actually reveals we want a left footed centre back. Ole just used that on Ake to encourage him. And it does make sense we are looking for a left footed CB since Rojo and probably Jones are leaving. We've also been linked by reliable sources with left footed CBs - Salisu, Badiashile, Pau Torres and Rodon (right footed but plays LCB)

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Didn't Ake concede 5 goals at the weekend or was I watching a different match?
Yes. Ake was in a side conceding 5 goals and we should infer that he must have been directly responsible for these 5 goals.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
A bit surprised at how many put their nose up to a proven Premier League CB.

Seems like many would prefer us to pay a lot more for potential, with higher upside, than for someone proven. I can understand it from one perspective.

At the same time, very few talents live up to their hype. Specially tall, strong and fast centerbacks. I also think these players tends to get very hyped on forums by fans. Just look at the amount of fans in here who keeps claiming that Smalling is our best defender? Or that we should buy Mings?! No wonder there at, certain points, was a huge hype related to Zouma and Diop. Or even Sakho, Jones and Lovren. Not only are they all quite physical, but they look like the typical CB.

I think Cox in the athletic had a great article about centerbacks where he labelled them as either cat or dogs, and used Evans and Soyuncu as example of each.

«Dogs are impetuous, energetic and desperate for action. They want to get the ball immediately by chasing after it, jumping towards it, scruffily getting it however they possibly can. They’ll hand over the ball and be keen to go again.

Cats are sly, calculating and remain stationary before suddenly pouncing. They get the ball patiently by positioning themselves intelligently and then calmly throwing out a paw. They’ll keep the ball, so they don’t have to bother getting it for a second time.»

(...)

«In this season’s Premier League, the best case study is the Leicester duo of Soyuncu and Evans. The roles barely need explaining, but Soyuncu is all-action and combative, always straying from his position to get involved. Evans is reserved, methodical and neat, holding back and anticipating danger. Together, they make a fine partnership.»

(...)

«Soyuncu is unarguably the more eye-catching defender: he throws himself into dramatic tackles, he scrambles back to make last-ditch blocks and he’s keener to win the ball in the air. When upgraded from Harry Maguire’s back-up to Harry Maguire’s replacement, he excelled, and those who questioned why Leicester hadn’t signed another centre-back were made to look foolish — the best-run clubs replace their stars pre-emptively.

The more you watch Leicester, though, the more you realise Evans is the more impressive defender. Statistics from the campaign, shown below, demonstrate the difference in quality.»

https://theathletic.com/1909441/202...ns-leicester-city/?source=user_shared_article

Lindelof/Maguire too is a typical cat/dog partnership. Lindelof the cat. And as always, the dogs get most of the praise. He also mention Rio/Vidic as an example. In my opinion Ake can be a bit of both. He can be aggressive and quite dominating, but also very sly. I think that makes him deceptive.

My biggest hesitation over him is that he has obviously never played for a side able to defend. He has been apart of that. At the same time, that could make him very underrated. Similar to Robertson at Hull.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You are clearly definitely wrong :lol:

it sounds nothing like luck at all. " we need a left footed centre back" is what he said.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Aside from the Ole statement, Ake could be very good value as Bournemouth are going down. I'm not into their finances but the latest Athletic podcast had mentioned how unlike say, Brighton, they didn't really plan for the future and once they go down it might be a while before they return. They were quite wasteful in the transfer market on top and would be in a position where they will need to let go of influential players without much of a negotiating position.

If Bournemouth go down, Ake I think will be the first to leave with only 2 years on his contract. He can probably be bagged for 15m.

Nick7

I didn't realise he was under 6 foot. Could have sworn he was 6'2 until I read this thread.

Mcking

He's got a good leap, but ideally I'd want a much bigger and dominant CB both in the air and on the ground. Not really sold on stronger and weaker foot stuff for a CB.

Adam-Utd

Aside from the Ole statement, Ake could be very good value as Bournemouth are going down. I'm not into their finances but the latest Athletic podcast had mentioned how unlike say, Brighton, they didn't really plan for the future and once they go down it might be a while before they return. They were quite wasteful in the transfer market on top and would be in a position where they will need to let go of influential players without much of a negotiating position.

If Bournemouth go down, Ake I think will be the first to leave with only 2 years on his contract. He can probably be bagged for 15m.
He will definitely be a bargain for somebody.

I can see all of City/Chelsea/Arsenal/United interested plus plenty of abroad clubs. He could probably choose wherever he likes, doubt Bournemouth will stand in his way either.

El Zoido

You are clearly definitely wrong :lol:

it sounds nothing like luck at all. " we need a left footed centre back" is what he said.
It sounds like both, depending on what you’re listening for. But it’s probably the latter because “you need a bit of a luck as a centre back so keep going” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Adam-Utd

It sounds like both, depending on what you’re listening for. But it’s probably the latter because “you need a bit of a luck as a centre back so keep going” doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.
It really doesn't. Once you ignore the incorrect caption by BT and listen to it as "we need a left footed centre back" it's quite obvious.

As you say the phrase doesn't even make sense in the first place, he was just being cheeky.