Bench:

Henrik Larsson (f)
Agne Simonsson (f)
Jonas Thern (mf)
Tomas Brolin (mf)
Bo Larsson (d/mf/f)
Glenn Hysén (cb)
Thomas Ravelli (g)

This team is pretty amazing except for the fact that I was too lazy to find a decent left-back. I can't believe I have Kåmark on there.

Damn we used to be a lot better as a footballing nation.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
USA... looks very ordinary... especially since the US is still relatively young on the footballing scale.

Friedel; Cherundolo-Balboa-Dooley-Caligiuri; Ramos-Reyna-O'Brien-Stewart; Donovan; McBride

Subs: Howard, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Dempsey, Harkes, Jones, Wynalda

Eriku

Hm. Noggy XI...

Goal: Erik Thorsvedt
RB: Henning Berg
CB: Rune Bratseth
CB: Brede Hangeland
LB: John-Arne Riise
RM: Øyvind Leonhardsen
CM: Erik Mykland
CM: Kjetil Rekdal
LM: Ole-Gunnar Solskjær
FW: John Carew
FW: Tom Lund

Coach: Egil "Drillo" Olsen

Very much a 90s team, but then again I've been priveleged enough to witness the best period of Norwegian national football. Included Tom Lund, despite my not having seen him, seeing as Ajax wanted him to be the next Cruijff, and with Bayern München and Real Madrid having wanted him, I'm going to assume he's good enough. Plus that allows for Ole to be marginalised on the wing, just like for most of his national team career. He still gets in due to having been unparallelled in his club success.

Carew gets in for having shown his talent in Spain, Italy, England, and has at times toyed with world-class opposition. Plainly one of the better Noggy players, IMO... even if he's not the scoring striker.

The rest aren't too hard to justify ;P

Curious as to how much any of the other resident Norwegians disagree with me.

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
Hm. Noggy XI...

Goal: Erik Thorsvedt
RB: Henning Berg
CB: Rune Bratseth
CB: Brede Hangeland
LB: John-Arne Riise
RM: Øyvind Leonhardsen
CM: Erik Mykland
CM: Kjetil Rekdal
LM: Ole-Gunnar Solskjær
FW: John Carew
FW: Tom Lund

Coach: Egil "Drillo" Olsen

Very much a 90s team, but then again I've been priveleged enough to witness the best period of Norwegian national football. Included Tom Lund, despite my not having seen him, seeing as Ajax wanted him to be the next Cruijff, and with Bayern München and Real Madrid having wanted him, I'm going to assume he's good enough. Plus that allows for Ole to be marginalised on the wing, just like for most of his national team career. He still gets in due to having been unparallelled in his club success.

Carew gets in for having shown his talent in Spain, Italy, England, and has at times toyed with world-class opposition. Plainly one of the better Noggy players, IMO... even if he's not the scoring striker.

The rest aren't too hard to justify ;P

Curious as to how much any of the other resident Norwegians disagree with me.
Hangeland and Carew? You're having a laugh. Ronny Johnsen is miles miles ahead of Hangeland for that team and Tore Andre Flo was better that Carew has ever been.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Hmmm... Irish XI would be massively influenced by me knowing feck all about football any further back than the 80s.

.................................Shay Given.................................
Dennis Irwin....Paul McGrath....Richard Dunne.....Steve Staunton
.......Jonny Giles.........Roy Keane.........Liam Brady...................
.......Damien Duff.........Niall Quinn...............Robbie Keane

Yeah, not the best, to be fair....

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Hmmm... Irish XI would be massively influenced by me knowing feck all about football any further back than the 80s.

.................................Shay Given.................................
Dennis Irwin....Paul McGrath....Richard Dunne.....Steve Staunton
.......Jonny Giles.........Roy Keane.........Liam Brady...................
.......Damien Duff.........Niall Quinn...............Robbie Keane

Yeah, not the best, to be fair....
thats a solid side to be fair Pogues...maybe Stapleton over Quinn? That would qualify for most tournaments. Given and Bonner were a close call I bet!

Eriku

Hangeland and Carew? You're having a laugh. Ronny Johnsen is miles miles ahead of Hangeland for that team and Tore Andre Flo was better that Carew has ever been.
Ronny Johnsen's career was VERY fragmented by injuries, so he never got too much of a run for the national side or the club sides... Miles miles ahead? That's just not true, regardless of whether you agree with me about who's better.

Flo was very close, but for me Carew just edged it for me, considering the fact that he's proven his worth in Spain, Italy (as much as a loanee can) and England... Plus he's better as a target man and at setting up others, which was the function I would intend for him in that line-up.

Either way I'm not fussed... both are great additions... but I maintain that Johnsen's career was too fragmented for him to make it... whereas Hangeland is bailing us and Fulham out on a regular basis, and his distribution is top notch.

kietotheworld

Wildly biased towards United and modern players, probably a few glaring omissions as well. Couldn't think of many good English wingers so went with a Diamond.

Banks

Neville Ferdinand Moore A.Cole

Edwards
Robson Scholes
Charlton

Shearer Greaves​

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Another example

A French all-time XI

Barthez
Thuram
Blanc
Desailly
Evra
Viera
Deschamps
Platini
Zidane
Henry
Kopa
I'd drop Vieira and play 4-3-3 with Papin up front. Let's be honest with Deschamps, Zidane and Platini you really don't need Vieira!

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I'd drop Vieira and play 4-3-3 with Papin up front. Let's be honest with Deschamps, Zidane and Platini you really don't need Vieira!
But the team is way stronger with him in it.

Imagine a Diamond like this :

----------Vieira-------

--Deschamps------Platini---

----------Zidane---------

-----Henry------Kopa------

:drool::drool::drool:

Lester Freamon

Aka Caveman
Ronny Johnsen's career was VERY fragmented by injuries, so he never got too much of a run for the national side or the club sides... Miles miles ahead? That's just not true, regardless of whether you agree with me about who's better.

Flo was very close, but for me Carew just edged it for me, considering the fact that he's proven his worth in Spain, Italy (as much as a loanee can) and England... Plus he's better as a target man and at setting up others, which was the function I would intend for him in that line-up.

Either way I'm not fussed... both are great additions... but I maintain that Johnsen's career was too fragmented for him to make it... whereas Hangeland is bailing us and Fulham out on a regular basis, and his distribution is top notch.
I just disagree completely regarding Johnsen. First of all he was just way better than Hangeland, of that there is no doubt whatsoever. Secondly, for all his injuries he racked up 62 caps for Norway, incidentally the exact same number as Hangeland has today. Of course Hangeland will get more than that in the next few years but with 62 caps it's not as if Johnsen's injuries prevented him from getting a significant number of appearences. Lastly, Ronny Johnsen played at the very top level of world football, won three Premier League titles and an FA Cup
(that's only his English trophies counted) while Brede Hangeland has played for Viking, FC København and Fulham. And although I respect Hangeland's abilities, it's a fair fecking distance between two good seasons for Fulham and partnering Jaap Stam in the latter stages of the Champions League. Miles in fact.

Diablodave

Northern Ireland

GK: Pat Jennings

LB: Nigel Worthington
CB:Aaron Hughes
CB: Mal Donaghy
RB: Jimmy Nicholl

RM: Billy Bingham
CM: Danny Blanchflower
CM: Jimmy McIlroy
LM: Keith Gillespie

FW:George Best
ST: David Healy

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
David Healy over Whiteside? Aaron Hughes? Billy Bingham? :lol:
How can you dispute David Healy being in our all time 11 :lol: :lol:

He's our all time record goalscorer with 35 goals. The next highest is 13!

Hughes has every right to be in it also. Already in our top 10 in terms of number of caps, with many of those being as captain. We've had few centre halfs better.

davisjw

USA... looks very ordinary... especially since the US is still relatively young on the footballing scale.

Friedel; Cherundolo-Balboa-Dooley-Caligiuri; Ramos-Reyna-O'Brien-Stewart; Donovan; McBride

Subs: Howard, Bocanegra, Onyewu, Dempsey, Harkes, Jones, Wynalda
I'd take Pope instead of Balboa. And Agoos in for Cherundolo.

Think Beasley in his prime was one of the better players to put on the shirt. Tempting to put in Keller too instead of Howard - think Keller is a big game keeper whereas Howard tends to get a bit lost in them. Wyanlda would be worth looking into as well.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think i'll leave the scotland one up to Gio.
How generous. Any thoughts on this selection?

---------------Goram----------------

Jardine---Hansen---Miller-----McGrain

Johnstone--Souness--Bremner--Baxter

---------Dalglish-----Law-----------

Pretty tasty. STV did this recently and the only differences were Cooper instead of Baxter and Big Eck in place of Hansen. It was strange that Miller and Hansen didn't seem to have the best partnership in defence given that they appeared to have complementary qualities. Ferguson has called Miller the best penalty-box defender he has ever worked with which is high praise indeed. The strikers pick themselves.

By all accounts, Alex James (Arsenal) and Alan Morton (Rangers) were amongst the best players in the world at the 1920/1930s and would probably have made the team had they been born in the video age.

Polaroid

Brazilian XI

Gilmar
Cafu
Nilton
Aldair
Lucio
Rivelino
Zico
Zizinho
Garrincha
Ronaldo
Pele

Polaroid

Spanish XI

Casillas
Ramos
Camacho
Hierro
Puyol
Alonso
Xavi
Iniesta
Gento
Raul
Villa

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I'd take Pope instead of Balboa. And Agoos in for Cherundolo.

Think Beasley in his prime was one of the better players to put on the shirt. Tempting to put in Keller too instead of Howard - think Keller is a big game keeper whereas Howard tends to get a bit lost in them. Wyanlda would be worth looking into as well.
I forgot about Pope. Agoos is crap IMO. I'd put Pope next to Balboa and either stick Dooley in midfield to allow Reyna freedom to roam, or put Dooley on the subs bench. I picked Howard as a backup as Keller and Friedel often clashed due to each thinking they were better than the other. For me, Howard has surpassed Keller on both club and national level.

Polaroid

English XI

Shilton
Neville
Cole
Moore
Ferdinand
Edwards
Robson
Scholes
Gascoigne
Charlton