National team all time XIs

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Pick a country and suggest thier all time best elevens. I'll start us off with England.

Banks
Armfield Wright Moore Hughes
Robson Charlton Scholes
Matthews Greaves Finney​

I think Gazza, Keegan and Edwards are unlucky, the latter because I'v hardly seen much of him. The full backs were difficult to think of too, any alternatives?

Name Changed

weso26
I'll give Ireland a shot.

Given

T.Dunne McGrath Hurley Irwin

Houghton Roy Keane Giles Duff

Brady
Robbie Keane​

Liam Whelan would have been in there for Robbie Keane if he had of had a longer career. Shay Brennan could have been in over Tony Dunne. It was hard to fit all the midfielders without sacrificing a striker.

Fergus' son

Given

Brady
Robbie Keane​

Liam Whelan would have been in there for Robbie Keane if he had of had a longer career. Shay Brennan could have been in over Tony Dunne. It was hard to fit all the midfielders without sacrificing a striker.
Cheers, that's a good effort. No other alternatives to Robbie Keane? I know he does well for Ireland but to think he is the best Irish striker of all time is a bit crazy!

I'd like to see some more of these from the lesser nations, Wales could be interesting. Would like to see how a Portugese fan would construct the Portugal team too.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM

Given

Brady
Robbie Keane​

Breen

Breen Breen Breen Breen

Breen Breen Breen Breen

Breen Breen​

Name Changed

weso26
Cheers, that's a good effort. No other alternatives to Robbie Keane? I know he does well for Ireland but oporto think he is the best Irish striker of all time is a bit crazy!

I'd like to see some more of these from the lesser nations, Wales could be interesting. Would like to see how a Portugese fan would construct the Portugal team too.
I think he has about 54 goals for Ireland at this stage. The next best is 20. Regardless of what I think of him, his record is immense. We were never blessed with too many great strikers. The only alternatives that I can think of would be Stapleton, Quinn or Don Givens. I'll stick with Keane.

Fergus' son

I think he has about 54 goals for Ireland at this stage. The next best is 20. Regardless of what I think of him, his record is immense. We were never blessed with too many great strikers. The only alternatives that I can think of would be Stapleton, Quinn or Don Givens. I'll stick with Keane.
Fair enough, can't argue with that record.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Pick a country and suggest thier all time best elevens. I'll start us off with England.

Banks
Robson Charlton Scholes
Matthews Greaves Finney​

I think Gazza, Keegan and Edwards are unlucky, the latter because I'v hardly seen much of him. The full backs were difficult to think of too, any alternatives?
Errr Red Nev and Ashley Cole!

Personally I would have had Rooney over Finney and Keegan over Robson.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
This will be biased towards more recent times as I don't know for certain how good were some of our more "classic" players.

--------------------------Vitor Baía------------------------------

João Pinto---Ricardo Carvalho---Humberto Coelho---Augusto Inácio

-------------------------António André--------------------------
-----------------------------------------Deco-------------------
---------------------Rui Costa------------------------------------

Figo---------------------------------------------------C. Ronaldo
--------------------------Eusébio--------------------------------

Plenty of debatable things in there, but I gave it a shot. I think João Pinto, Coelho, Rui Costa and the front three are set in stone there though.

Ralaks

Made one in the newbs for the Danish NT some time ago but can't remember exactly what I did, but probably something like this

Schmeichel
Helveg M. Olsen Laursen Heintze
Lerby Mølby
Simonsen M Laudrup B Laudrup
Elkjær​

I'm not too sure on fullbacks and it's hard to decide between Laursen and Lars Olsen for the other CB spot, I've also got very little knowledge of the real old players so not going to pretend to know them and put them in.

Fergus' son

Errr Red Nev and Ashley Cole!

Personally I would have had Rooney over Finney and Keegan over Robson.
Keegan over Robson would unbalance the side don't you think? Perhaps him over Finney would work best.

This will be biased towards more recent times as I don't know for certain how good were some of our more "classic" players.

--------------------------Vitor Baía------------------------------

João Pinto---Ricardo Carvalho---Humberto Coelho---Augusto Inácio

-------------------------António André--------------------------
-----------------------------------------Deco-------------------
---------------------Rui Costa------------------------------------

Figo---------------------------------------------------C. Ronaldo
--------------------------Eusébio--------------------------------

Plenty of debatable things in there, but I gave it a shot. I think João Pinto, Coelho, Rui Costa and the front three are set in stone there though.
Great team, though I must admit having not even heard of the non obvious ones in there. What era was Coelho from?

Made one in the newbs for the Danish NT some time ago but can't remember exactly what I did, but probably something like this

Schmeichel
Helveg M. Olsen Laursen Heintze
Lerby Mølby
Simonsen M Laudrup B Laudrup
Elkjær​

I'm not too sure on fullbacks and it's hard to decide between Laursen and Lars Olsen for the other CB spot, I've also got very little knowledge of the real old players so not going to pretend to know them and put them in.
What a front four, really fantastic.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Great team, though I must admit having not even heard of the non obvious ones in there. What era was Coelho from?
Coelho was from the 70's-80's - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humberto_Coelho

I never saw him play, and didn't know how highly rated he was until Gio questioned me about him for one of those games they make here in the forum with players from a certain era. I read about him then and his record seems to speak for itself.

I chose António André because he was a pure defensive midfielder, in the mould that fits perfectly into this 4-3-3. He was first-choice for Porto for 10 years during a very successful period of ours. I considered including Paulo Sousa in his place, he was very good by all means and has two CL titles (Juventus and Dortmund).

In terms of goalkeeping, any Benfiquista would have selected Manuel Bento, any Sportinguista would have selected Vitor Damas and any Portista would have selected Vitor Baía. It's a toss up, but the later is the only I saw during his active years and he was wonderful for us.

Decotron

Cheers, that's a good effort. No other alternatives to Robbie Keane? I know he does well for Ireland but to think he is the best Irish striker of all time is a bit crazy!

I think he's in the top 25 goalscorers in international football's history :eek: :lol:

Not his biggest fan personally but he's certainly done the busioness for us over the years...

Fergus' son

Coelho was from the 70's-80's - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humberto_Coelho

I never saw him play, and didn't know how highly rated he was until Gio questioned me about him for one of those games they make here in the forum with players from a certain era. I read about him then and his record seems to speak for itself.

I chose António André because he was a pure defensive midfielder, in the mould that fits perfectly into this 4-3-3. He was first-choice for Porto for 10 years during a very successful period of ours. I considered including Paulo Sousa in his place, he was very good by all means and has two CL titles (Juventus and Dortmund).

In terms of goalkeeping, any Benfiquista would have selected Manuel Bento, any Sportinguista would have selected Vitor Damas and any Portista would have selected Vitor Baía. It's a toss up, but the later is the only I saw during his active years and he was wonderful for us.
Ah yes, Sousa is a brilliant player but probably does lack the steel to be the sole defensive midfielder.

How much do you know about Eusebios teammates? Many contenders for this amongst them? I suppose Coluna is unlucky but there's fierce competition for those forward places!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Árni Gautur Arason

Grétar Rafn Steinsson - Guðni Bergsson - Ívar Ingimarsson - Hermann Hreiðarsson

Ásgeir Sigurvinsson - Rúnar Kristinsson - Sigurður Jónsson - Arnór Guðjohnsen

Eiður Smári Guðjohnsen - Albert Guðmundsson​

Slim pickings at the back. Picking Albert on merit and legend. He's the White Pearl after all. Our best players have mostly been central midfielders. Always lacking at the back. Guðni the best by far.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal
Brasil

Gilmar
D.Santos, M.Ramos, Bellini, N.Santos
Didi, Socrates
Garrincha, Zico, Rivelinho
Ronaldo Luis​

Subs: Gerson, Pele, Ronaldinho, Zito, Eder

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"

Banks
Robson Charlton Scholes
Matthews Greaves Finney​

Duncan Edwards has to be in there.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
“He was the only player who made me feel inferior,” he (Bobby Charlton) said. “Duncan was without doubt the best player to ever come out of this place, and there’s been some competition down the years. He was colossal and I wouldn’t use that word to describe anyone else. He had such presence, he dominated every game all over the pitch. Had he lived, he would have been the best player in the world. He was sensational, and it is difficult to convey that. It is sad there isn’t enough film to show today’s youngsters just how good he was.”

Fergus' son

Brasil

Gilmar
Didi, Socrates
Ronaldo Luis​

No Pele in the starting line up is interesting, could replace Zico, Ronaldo or Rivelinho easily for me.

Duncan Edwards has to be in there.
I know but I'v seen little of him so used that as an excuse to get Robson or Scholes in. Could I fit him in in the back line you think?

Árni Gautur Arason

Grétar Rafn Steinsson - Guðni Bergsson - Ívar Ingimarsson - Hermann Hreiðarsson

Ásgeir Sigurvinsson - Rúnar Kristinsson - Sigurður Jónsson - Arnór Guðjohnsen

Eiður Smári Guðjohnsen - Albert Guðmundsson​

Slim pickings at the back. Picking Albert on merit and legend. He's the White Pearl after all. Our best players have mostly been central midfielders. Always lacking at the back. Guðni the best by far.
Cheers, these obscure ones are great. Never heard of most of those payers!

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian

Given

Brady
Robbie Keane​

Sheedy, Stapleton, O'Leary, Givens, Cantwell, Ronnie Whelan all in with a good shout. I wouldn't have Duff, Robbie Keane, and Houghton in at all...

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Ah yes, Sousa is a brilliant player but probably does lack the steel to be the sole defensive midfielder.

How much do you know about Eusebios teammates? Many contenders for this amongst them? I suppose Coluna is unlucky but there's fierce competition for those forward places!
Not much, unfortunately, the only footage I saw from that era is from the '66 World Cup. That was an exception though, and our national team wasn't as successful back then as we were in the 00's, our second WC participation was in 1986 and our first Euro participation was in 1984.

Considering the incredible success of Benfica in the 60's, in a team composed almost exclusively of Portuguese players, It's possible someone with profound knowledge of that era would have selected a far different best XI than what I put above.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Scotland:

1. Jim Leighton
2. Danny McGrain
3. Sandy Jardine
4. Jim Baxter
5. Alan Hansen
6. Martin Buchan
7. Paul McStay
8. Graeme Souness
9. Denis Law
10. Kenny Dalglish
11. Jimmy Johnstone

Subs: take your pick...lots of good midfielders Gemmill, Masson, Bremner and defenders...

Arruda

Supports
Porto
A Yugoslavian best XI would be awesome as well. Hopefully someone can chip in one of those.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I've barely seen any of these players play but...Sweden:

Hellström

R. Nilsson - Mellberg - P. Andersson - Skoglund

Hamrin - Liedholm - Gren

Nordahl - Zlatan - H. Larsson

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Brasil

Gilmar
Didi, Socrates
Ronaldo Luis​

Rivelino over Pelé is like picking Ronaldinho over Ronaldo. With Didi, Socrates and Zico there already Rivelino is just greedy.

Argentina

Fillol
Zanetti Perfumo Passarella Marzolini
Redondo Di Stefano
Messi-------Maradona
Batistuta Moreno

Subs: Carrizo, Ayala, Monti, Orsi, Sivori, Perdernera & Labruna.​

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Norway:

----------------Thorstvedt----------------------
---Berg------Svenssen---Bratseth-------Riise----
--Lund-------Mykland----Harald Berg----Kniksen--
-------------Solskjær------Flo------------------

feck me I'm sure that's quite a shite effort but anyway.

Fergus' son

Barthez
Thuram Blanc Desailly Amoros
Kopa Viera
Zidane Platini
Henry Cantona​

An extremely rushed French XI. Can anyone better it? I suspect people may go with an alternative midfielder/goalkeeper/striker.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Argentina

Fillol
Zanetti Perfumo Passarella Marzolini
Redondo Di Stefano
Messi-------Maradona
Batistuta Moreno

Subs: Carrizo, Ayala, Monti, Orsi, Sivori, Perdernera & Labruna.​
Bit attacking.

Anyone do a good Italian, Dutch or German one?

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Barthez
Kopa Viera
Zidane Platini
Henry Cantona​

An extremely rushed French XI. Can anyone better it? I suspect people may go with an alternative midfielder/goalkeeper/striker.
Fontaine in as a striker is a given I think ahead of Cantona. Lizarazau is an option at left back.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Barthez
Kopa Viera
Zidane Platini
Henry Cantona​

Kopa was an attacking player, so it's quite unbalanced that side.

I'd drop Cantona and bring in Tigana, alternatives would be Makelele or Deschamps. Go for a narrow 4-2-3-1 maybe.

Barthez
Thuram Blanc Desailly Lizarazu
Tigana Viera
Kopa Zidane Platini
Henry​

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Bit attacking.

Anyone do a good Italian, Dutch or German one?
A little but that's a rock-solid defence and Di Stefano realistically would be all over the pitch bring the total footballer that he was. You could get rid of Batistuta and bring Monti in for the more balanced 4231 but who can leave out Batigol?

Italy

Zoff
Burgnich Scirea Baresi Facchetti
Tardelli Rivera
Conti Baggio Donadoni
Riva

Subs: Buffon, Maldini, Gentile, Pirlo, Mazzola, Meazza & Piola.​

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Australia XI:

---------------------------------Mark Bosnich

---------------------Lucas Neill - Craig Moore - Tony Vidmar

------Brett Emerton----------------------------------------Scott Chipperfield

-------------------------Paul Okon-----------Ned Zelic

-----------------------------------Tim Cahill

--------------------------------------Harry Kewell
------------------------------Mark Viduka

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Cheers, these obscure ones are great. Never heard of most of those payers!
Albert Guðmundsson was, I think, the first professional football player from N-Europe. He was the 2nd non-Briton to play for Arsenal. Also played for AC Milan, Rangers and Nancy. Later became a minister and once punched a reporter for asking him a question he didn't like. Great man.

Along with Eiður Guðjonsen and Ásgeir Siguvinsson they're considered the best ever players from Iceland. Ásgeir was voted the best by a host of people, mostly former footballers and pundits. He played the majority of his career with Standard and Stuttgart and a brief spell with Bayern in between.

I'm sure you recognize the back 4. All played a long time in the PL. The goalkeeper spent most of his career in Norway, mostly for Rosenborg. He played one game for City and it was quite a memorable game. Check it out on youtube.

Arnór Guðjohnsen is Eiður's dad. Way ahead of his time, for Icelanders, in technical ability. Great player who felt most at home in Belgium back when their league was good.

I put Siggy Jónsson in there to balance out the midfield. A hard tackler. Played for Arsenal a bit but not much because he was mostly injured whilst there.

Rúnar Kristinsson is our most capped player. Only player to reach 100 caps. Applied his trade in Scandinavia and Belgium like so many other Icelanders.

It's actually a very balanced team that I've picked. Iceland has never had a team balance like this one or a team as good and probably never will until very late in my lifetime. Our current national team is probably the most promising team ever but I reckon none of them would make this team.

Fergus' son

Fontaine in as a striker is a given I think ahead of Cantona. Lizarazau is an option at left back.
Yeah, Amoros was better on the right iirc too?

Kopa was an attacking player, so it's quite unbalanced that side.

I'd drop Cantona and bring in Tigana, alternatives would be Makelele or Deschamps. Go for a narrow 4-2-3-1 maybe.

Barthez
Thuram Blanc Desailly Lizarezu
Tigana Viera
Kopa Zidane Platini
Henry​
True, though everything I'v seen of him for Madrid suggest that he did pay deep on plenty of occasion, they could probably afford to do so being so dominant and him being so good.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Cracking sides from Denmark and Brasil so far.

Uruguay:

Mazurkiewicz
Nasazzi----Santamaria
Andrade-------Varela-------Gambetta
Scarone---Rocha---Schiaffino
Morena---Francescoli

Tells you the whole story when the only player I can realistically pick from the last couple of decades is Enzo :(