NBA 2020-2021

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I doubt they get much interest for Westbrook considering his contract runs for 3 more years at $41m, $44m and $47m respectively. Likely Houston should have to add something to the deal to get it done but they don’t really have anything worthwhile that they could attach.

CP3 has better value because he expires a year earlier and was a better player last season. Could see him going to Suns, Bucks or Knicks which all have been rumored to be interested. Value will not be high but OKC may at least get a protected first rounder back.

Jrue Holiday seems to be on the market and is a far more valuable asset than either of them, especially for contending teams with assets like Warriors, Heat and Brooklyn.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Let's not kid ourselves. CP3 and Westbrick are only good for burning money.
CP3 just had a great season, but I doubt he can repeat it. He won't become better after that.
Westbrick is terrible, maybe not so much on an individual level, but it must be brutal for the team culture and cohesion to have him on board.

ZDwyr

Quite the fall from grace for Houston. A hamstring injury away from a championship and just a few years later: Harden forces out Paul for Westbrook (against GM's wishes but with support from owner), owner refuses to pay luxury tax despite clearly needing to, D'antoni walks, Morey walks citing a desire to spend time with family - only to take a new GM job immediately, and now Westbrook requests a trade citing lack of accountability and poor team culture.

Zen

CP3 just had a great season, but I doubt he can repeat it. He won't become better after that.
But he won't drop off a great deal either say like Wade who was a similar level player. Somehow he miraculously played like 95% of the season last year, but other than that, his actual game is perfect to age well, even with the modern game alterations.

It's a question of whether he wants to prove people wrong and make the others around him better for the rest of his, at worst, contract. I'm almost certain his pal LeBron will snap him up for a ring chase in 2 years if he doesn't get him earlier.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
But he won't drop off a great deal either say like Wade who was a similar level player. Somehow he miraculously played like 95% of the season last year, but other than that, his actual game is perfect to age well, even with the modern game alterations.

It's a question of whether he wants to prove people wrong and make the others around him better for the rest of his, at worst, contract. I'm almost certain his pal LeBron will snap him up for a ring chase in 2 years if he doesn't get him earlier.
Okay, but will he stay healthy? Given his injury record....
Let's wait and see if the move happens first.

Zen

Did you do the classic stop reading after you tried to get a point in? Because......

covered that, and you quoted it.

Zen

Schroder what a man. Deserves that free ring.

UweBein

Supports
Chelsea
Did you do the classic stop reading after you tried to get a point in? Because......

covered that, and you quoted it.
No, I am just not confident with your arguments and the conclusion. There is the danger of the decline and also his injury proneness. Even if I go with your first argument and agree with it, it would be too much of a risk to go for a player that might face some kind of decline and injury problems - not for the money he is earning.

ZDwyr

@ZDwyr how has he been the last few seasons?
Pretty solid. Has stretches where he can't make anything, takes bad shots, and is too selfish. They can sometimes last up to a few months in the worst case scenario.

But he was good for us. Improved his spot-up shooting and when he tries he's a capable on ball defender despite size limitations. I think he'll do well in LA. One advantage is that he's capable of playing off-ball so he should be able to fit well with LeBron. He played off both CP3 and SGA at times with no issue.

Sarni

They are lifting moratorium tomorrow, draft is on Wednesday and free agents will be able to sign at Friday midnight. Going to be some crazy 7-10 days now. I expect some big trades. Thankfully free agents are rather weak this year so I won’t have to stay up all night to follow that on Friday.

Rooney1987

Pretty solid. Has stretches where he can't make anything, takes bad shots, and is too selfish. They can sometimes last up to a few months in the worst case scenario.

But he was good for us. Improved his spot-up shooting and when he tries he's a capable on ball defender despite size limitations. I think he'll do well in LA. One advantage is that he's capable of playing off-ball so he should be able to fit well with LeBron. He played off both CP3 and SGA at times with no issue.
Unless rumours have changed Danny Green and the 28th pick is a little light isn't it? The 1 year deal is similar to Green so this will still set the Lakers up for a big free agent next year.

Does rule out Rondo for the Lakers.

ZDwyr

Unless rumours have changed Danny Green and the 28th pick is a little light isn't it? The 1 year deal is similar to Green so this will still set the Lakers up for a big free agent next year.

Maybe a little light but then again maybe not. If there are no better offers out there then OKC will take what they can get. Schroder is an expiring contract so getting him for pick 28 in a draft that is relatively decent in the 10-30 range isn't too bad. Hopefully Green can be flipped to a contender for something as well. So, in the end it might be fine.

The Harden rumours are interesting.

Sarni

Lakers will not be in position to sign a big free agent next year anyway unless LeBron/AD take a discount, which I doubt is going to happen anyway.

Sarni

Maybe a little light but then again maybe not. If there are no better offers out there then OKC will take what they can get. Schroder is an expiring contract so getting him for pick 28 in a draft that is relatively decent in the 10-30 range isn't too bad. Hopefully Green can be flipped to a contender for something as well. So, in the end it might be fine.

The Harden rumours are interesting.
Green I see more as a buyout candidate to be honest. His contract is too high for a contender to take it, unless OKC are taking bad deals back, e.g. Horford and a pick for Green. To be fair I'd be all over that if I were OKC, Phila have some good second rounders this year or they can simply return Thunder's pick that Mike Muscala has conceded to them in the bubble.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Lakers will not be in position to sign a big free agent next year anyway unless LeBron/AD take a discount, which I doubt is going to happen anyway.
Yeah indeed. I wonder if the DeRozan deal can still happen now, haven't looked into that.

Sarni

Yeah indeed. I wonder if the DeRozan deal can still happen now, haven't looked into that.
DeRozan would probably take a discount to join Lakers, could see him signing somewhere next year for like $60million / 3 years or $80million / 4 years to go to a contender. How he's going to progress with his career from now is interesting. I could see him going two ways: become a star player at a fringe playoffs team getting close to a max or become a role player for a contender, possibly even coming off bench as a strong sixth man, at a lower salary. The latter is what I'd definitely prefer to see. Hayward is similar, he can still be a lead player at a .500 team but also potentially a key rotation player at a contender for less money.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
DeRozan would probably take a discount to join Lakers, could see him signing somewhere next year for like $60million / 3 years or $80million / 4 years to go to a contender. How he's going to progress with his career from now is interesting. I could see him going two ways: become a star player at a fringe playoffs team getting close to a max or become a role player for a contender, possibly even coming off bench as a strong sixth man, at a lower salary. The latter is what I'd definitely prefer to see. Hayward is similar, he can still be a lead player at a .500 team but also potentially a key rotation player at a contender for less money.
Yep, will be interesting to see.

DeRozan said:
Speaking with Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson in the All the Smoke podcast, DeRozan said, “Without a doubt. You always have them dreams of doing it, you know what I mean? For me it’s just I’ve learned being in the league so long that you always want to be wanted.

“So when you see things about teams wanting you, you can’t feel a certain type of way. You’d better feel good about it because there’s some motherf—ers that’s not wanted. You don’t want to be that person.
“So to be wanted by a championship team that just came off a championship, to see that, how could you not feel some type of way? Especially me, being from L.A., it’s like ‘damn, my hometown team want me? They just came off a championship and they want me?’
“It’s definitely crazy to be able to see that, but anybody knows that whatever jersey I got on, I’m gonna lay it out there on the line and represent in the best way I can.”
Read those comments last weekend, if true it sounds like he might be willing to take the paycut.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
No more chat on Harden to the Nets? That would be extremely interesting.
That team would be All time great offense and all time worst defense. I would league pass them for sure. The score line would look like the Bo Kimble LMU teams!

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Yup. Guess they don't wanna miss out on another playoffs. Doesn't he have a terrible contract though?

RORY65

Yup. Guess they don't wanna miss out on another playoffs. Doesn't he have a terrible contract though?
$41m this year and then he's got a $44m player option next year, it's not good but suddenly the Westbrook contract, which the Rockets traded it for, looks worse. I love the idea of CP3 and Booker in the back court and a developing Ayton at the 5, that team should be a play off team now if we assume that OKC and probably Houston are going into rebuilding mode.

ZDwyr

Presti trades what people thought were negative or untradeable contracts for positive value. The master.

Sarni

Good trades for both teams. Phoenix get a player who is an improvement over Rubio and should get them closer to the playoffs, OKC get two serviceable players on good contracts that they will probably flip for some more assets in the future, and they remain decent. Wondering what are the protections on that 2022 first round pick too.

Sarni

Presti trades what people thought were negative or untradeable contracts for positive value. The master.
He got three picks, two of which are looking quite premium now, for Westbrook, and may get another couple of he flips Oubre or Rubio. I think OKC can easily get a late first rounder for Oubre.

ZDwyr

He got three picks, two of which are looking quite premium now, for Westbrook, and may get another couple of he flips Oubre or Rubio. I think OKC can easily get a late first rounder for Oubre.
Just thinking about some wild trade ideas, what do you think Minnesota would want from OKC for the #1 pick? The younger Ball signed with OKC's G-league team last season and while I initially thought nothing of it, there's been some whispers about OKC moving up for LaMelo. Rubio and Oubre would both help the Timberwolves I think. I guess it's just a matter of what future picks (and how many) they would also want.

ZDwyr

Jrue Holiday to the Bucks for Bledsloe, Hill and three first round picks. The three picks seems like over-kill to me but maybe I just don't rate Jrue as high as some. Griffin and Presti will soon own all future draft picks.

EDIT: AND pick swaps? That is crazy.

Also, Covington to Portland for Ariza and picks. @Sarni I like the Covington fit. Portland to be a sneaky chance for the WCF next season?

Last edited: