NBA 2022-2023

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Let me day dream in peace man. Get back to your Jordan arguments that’s going in circles :lol:
:lol:

Come on, I know you want to join the Jordan conversation of chaotic takes by people saying the same thing while getting angry at each other. It might be my finest contribution to this site (other than @calodo2003 's tagline, that will always be my Mona Lisa)

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
:lol:

Come on, I know you want to join the Jordan conversation of chaotic takes by people saying the same thing while getting angry at each other. It might be my finest contribution to this site (other than @calodo2003 's tagline, that will always be my Mona Lisa)
You were the one behind my tagline? :lol: Bravo!

I never went back to reread all the posts that were made during my sabbatical, there were just too many. Think I missed you finally going to sleep as well.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Yo, Deuce… Get your dad’s iPad redirected on this exact tweet before he warms up… thanks! :wenger:

Revan

Assumptionman
Jimmy is weird. He is not a top 10 player during the regular season, but he is right there with the best players (if not the best) during the playoffs. This has been happening for many years now.

I do not think it is likely that he continues playing at this level on the rest of the playoffs though. This was one of the best performances in a series ever. He was essentially Michael Jordan in these few matches.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's probably the best head coach behind Spoelstra and Kerr, sacking him would be surprising. Especially when your best player and only superstar missed 11 out of 20 quarters in that first round.
They have a fantastic roster. Their ring came when they were losing 0-2 against Nets (without Harden) and then Irving got injured while Harden was barely able to run. Still were 1 inch close to losing the tie.

Good coach but I think he has send them as far as he can. With this roster and with the best player in the world, they should have been reaching finals every year, not needing other teams to get depleted for them to do so.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
They have a fantastic roster. Their ring came when they were losing 0-2 against Nets (without Harden) and then Irving got injured while Harden was barely able to run. Still were 1 inch close to losing the tie.

Good coach but I think he has send them as far as he can. With this roster and with the best player in the world, they should have been reaching finals every year, not needing other teams to get depleted for them to do so.
They have a fantastic roster if Giannis and Middleton are playing and in form otherwise they don't. They didn't had the best player in the world for the majority of those games, they also didn't had the best version of Middleton.

I don't even know how anyone can try to argue that the Bucks have a fantastic roster without Giannis, their third option is Jrue Holiday who is an amazing defender but not a reliable high scoring player after that it's Grayson Allen and Lopez neither can create shot for themselves on a consistent basis. Without Giannis their roster is no better than Toronto, those are fantastic rosters if they have an MVP candidate leading them and play-in rosters without that player.

With Giannis and Middleton they have probably the best roster. With Giannis but no Middleton they are great but not better than a handful of other teams, with Middleton and no Giannis they are at the end of the top 10 and without both they are a play-in team at best.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To win at this level you every little thing counts. And Bud, he has repeatedly shown an inability to give them an edge. When you have Giannis, you can't just be happy to win a single title as an organization

If Lue is available the Bucks should jump on that

As for Jimmy, him not being a top 10 player in the RS kinda points out how the regular season really is too many games. Jimmy isn't a top 10 player in the RS because he doesn't need to be a dominant scorer in the RS. Those all in one advanced metrics generally tend to rate him among the very best RS performers

TheBest

SPNTBP
It's not just awards and accomplishments though. Jordan was just better. You all have probably realized over the years that I'm a huge Steph Curry fan (favorite player and all that). But even if Steph won another couple of chips and FMVPs, even 3 or 4, he still wouldn't be better than Jordan. If you didn't see MJ, people just don't get it. He had this aura about him. At his peak, other players just didn't believe they could beat him.

.....and they couldn't
I didnt watch the jordan era basketball and I am not disagreeing with jordan being goat and all but other than those 6 championship seasons did he not get beaten other times? Most of them being even before the finals. So surely other players did believe they can beat him. Maybe they didnt believe that they can beat the jordan bulls, I guess.

JPRouve

Scout
I didnt watch the jordan era basketball and I am not disagreeing with jordan being goat and all but other than those 6 championship seasons did he not get beaten other times? Most of them being even before the finals. So surely other players did believe they can beat him. Maybe they didnt believe that they can beat the jordan bulls, I guess.
To be fair he specifically mentioned Jordan's peak, he didn't suggest that Jordan in his early years or retirement years had that aura.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Those early Bulls teams were really, really, really bad. The only player I remember other than Jordan was Orlando Woolridge (sp?) from those first few seasons. Plus, I think Jordan was hurt in season 2 or 3. Around 88 or 89 Pippen and Grant got drafted and once they had a year or two to mature it was game over for the league.

The Wizard years do not count and will not be spoken of.

TheBest

SPNTBP
To be fair he specifically mentioned Jordan's peak, he didn't suggest that Jordan in his early years or retirement years had that aura.
But than we are judging him by only 6 years? Isn't that too short of a peak? I think at the end of the day having a good team matters. He had that for those 6 years.

TheBest

SPNTBP
Those early Bulls teams were really, really, really bad. The only player I remember other than Jordan was Orlando Woolridge (sp?) from those first few seasons. Plus, I think Jordan was hurt in season 2 or 3. Around 88 or 89 Pippen and Grant got drafted and once they had a year or two to mature it was game over for the league.

All I mean is that player probably didnt think they can beat peak jordan bulls but they would fancy beating him on some other teams.

JPRouve

Scout
But than we are judging him by only 6 years? Isn't that too short of a peak? I think at the end of the day having a good team matters. He had that for those 6 years.
No 6 years isn't a short peak and his peak started a bit earlier, it's roughly 10 years. For nearly half of it, he had a genuinely bad team around him but was still unplayable. Now I don't fully agree with @WI_Red simply because during his peak Isiah Thomas and the Pistons definitely thought that they had a chance, Bird definitely thought that he had a chance and the Lakers definitely thought that they had a chance.

Jordan peak was largely played while competing with all time greats and all time great teams.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
No 6 years isn't a short peak and his peak started a bit earlier, it's roughly 10 years. For nearly half of it, he had a genuinely bad team around him but was still unplayable. Now I don't fully agree with @WI_Red simply because during his peak Isiah Thomas and the Pistons definitely thought that they had a chance, Bird definitely thought that he had a chance and the Lakers definitely thought that they had a chance.

Jordan peak was largely played while competing with all time greats and all time great teams.
Not to quibble :), but @charlton66 was the one who made the comment that other players did not think they could beat MJ. However, I do agree that was the case in some of the finals (especially the Jazz series. MJ consumed Malone's basketball soul). It was a big deal in 91 when MJ and the Bulls swept the Pistons, with Jordan completely dominating that series. That said, I remember the Piston's looking absolutely shattered.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
To be entirely accurate Jordan's athletic peak probably came in the late 80s but at that time the Bulls were just a bad team and in all honesty they just never really had a chance. The Bull's peak however, as a team, probably came around their 72-10 season in 1996 and Jordan although perhaps not quite as athletic as those early years, by that time had honed himself into a basketball killer. He had experience, that aura that I keep mentioning :) and a will to win greater than any athlete I have ever seen. In those Championship years he just ripped your heart out. As @WI_Red put it, he stole your soul. I said it before, and I'll say it again. In those years, other players just didn't think they could beat him and they couldn't.

JPRouve

Scout
Not to quibble :), but @charlton66 was the one who made the comment that other players did not think they could beat MJ. However, I do agree that was the case in some of the finals (especially the Jazz series. MJ consumed Malone's basketball soul). It was a big deal in 91 when MJ and the Bulls swept the Pistons, with Jordan completely dominating that series. That said, I remember the Piston's looking absolutely shattered.
True, my apologies. :lol:

SinNombre

Bucks have a pretty strong roster for this era - I don’t see how anyone can argue otherwise.

They have an all-time top 25 player at his peak, and three other top-50 players in the league in Jrue, Brook and Middleton.

Most other contenders don’t have that except Denver. There are more balanced rosters like Celtics and Memphis but then without the genuine superstar.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It was a big deal in 91 when MJ and the Bulls swept the Pistons, with Jordan completely dominating that series. That said, I remember the Piston's looking absolutely shattered.
When the bulls took them to game 7 in '90 the pistons knew that would be the last time they had a chance against them
Most other contenders don’t have that except Denver. There are more balanced rosters like Celtics and Memphis but then without the genuine superstar.
Tatum and Ja are chopped liver?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Bucks have a pretty strong roster for this era - I don’t see how anyone can argue otherwise.

They have an all-time top 25 player at his peak, and three other top-50 players in the league in Jrue, Brook and Middleton.

While the Bucks have a great roster, I don't agree with it being unique.

I would say that both Tatum and Ja would count as superstars.
Phoenix runs out 2 hall of famers and another almost superstar
Philly has the likely MVP and Maxey/Harden/Harris is at least as potent as Middleton/Jrue/Brook
The Lakers have 2 top 10-15 guys and a bunch of really good role players.

I know I'm missing some, but my lunch break is up and no time to ponder further :)

JPRouve

Scout

Philly has the likely MVP and Maxey/Harden/Harris is at least as potent as Middleton/Jrue/Brook

I know I'm missing some, but my lunch break is up and no time to ponder further :)
Today Philly has the better trio, if Middleton regain his past form then the Bucks are on an other level largely due to being better defensively.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

And a certain guy named Phil Jackson was hired.

SinNombre

Tatum and especially Ja are not yet at the elite level of superstars that win Championships. The Mavs in 2011 are the only team in recent history to win without a clear top-5 player and an all-time top-30 player from DWade, Kobe, Duncan, Lebron, Steph, Giannis, Kawhi.

SinNombre

Today Philly has the better trio, if Middleton regain his past form then the Bucks are on an other level largely due to being better defensively.
Tobias Harris is barely a positive player, and Maxey had a good season but until recently, he was compared with Simons, Poole, Herro who are all flawed young players.

Let’s not forget that the Bucks comfortably had the best record in the regular season.

JPRouve

Scout
Tobias Harris is barely a positive player, and Maxey had a good season but until recently, he was compared with Simons, Poole, Herro who are all flawed young players.

Let’s not forget that the Bucks comfortably had the best record in the regular season.
Was Giannis out during the regular season?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Tatum and especially Ja are not yet at the elite level of superstars that win Championships. The Mavs in 2011 are the only team in recent history to win without a clear top-5 player and an all-time top-30 player from DWade, Kobe, Duncan, Lebron, Steph, Giannis, Kawhi.
That's Dirk erasure

sport2793

Who is the almost superstar that Phoenix has? Because if you are referring to the one who is currently 2nd in PPG in the playoffs, he was first team All-NBA last season and a superstar already. He would be All-NBA again if he didn't miss a ton of games this season too.

One can also include the Warriors too, especially now that they are healthy. The Bucks are great and should not have lost but they aren't far and away better than others. No team can make that argument at this moment.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Who is the almost superstar that Phoenix has? Because if you are referring to the one who is currently 2nd in PPG in the playoffs, he was first team All-NBA last season and a superstar already. He would be All-NBA again if he didn't miss a ton of games this season too.

One can also include the Warriors too, especially now that they are healthy. The Bucks are great and should not have lost but they aren't far and away better than others. No team can make that argument at this moment.
Yeah, I'm talking about Booker. He has only made one all NBA team in his career (21-22), and maybe a second one this year? That is why I said almost superstar, he is on the cusp, but for me "Superstar" means top 10-15 in the league. He's close, and maybe he's in it, but maybe not. Hence "almost".

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Yeah, I'm talking about Booker. He has only made one all NBA team in his career (21-22), and maybe a second one this year? That is why I said almost superstar, he is on the cusp, but for me "Superstar" means top 10-15 in the league. He's close, and maybe he's in it, but maybe not. Hence "almost".
Of course a ring would make the “almost” pass through the cusp and validate their status as superstars, but Booker and Tatum are there already, in the general wisdom and, more importantly at that level, in their peers’ consideration. It’s people like Brown who would get the biggest leap and a max or super-max contract, for example in Houston.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Not officially over yet but it's done. Kings just wanted it more on the night.

Back to Sacramento.