NBA 2022-2023

ZDwyr

Wow they’ve really traded him for literally nothing. They should have never signed him to that contract, there were multiple opportunities to trade him for a decent package prior to that.

Great deal for Suns though and Wizards can at least start a rebuild now.
Yeah, Beal needed to be traded 2-3 seasons ago. Terrible organisation.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm surprised that this is the best they could get though the new CBA is supposed to be a pain, so maybe it deterred a bunch of teams.

RORY65

The Suns definitely needed someone who can score in the midrange, that was clearly what they missing. That's such a poor return for the Wizards though, not a single first rounder or a young asset.

Zen

Unless he's instantly bought out, and is that actually as guaranteed as some are making out? - then ouch for Paul. No way he finds motivation for this kind of muddling trade again.

ZDwyr

KD is shameless. The list of all-star teammates he's played with is ridiculous.

sport2793

The Suns definitely needed someone who can score in the midrange, that was clearly what they missing. That's such a poor return for the Wizards though, not a single first rounder or a young asset.
Beal is a great 3 level scorer if you look at the data (actually a slightly better 3P shooter than Book), KD Book and Beal is a deadly trio, the question becomes who they are surrounded by that will make or break them. From the Suns perspective though it really was as good as they could hope for as you are trading a 39 year old player, one of the all time statistically worst playoff performers, and a couple of 2nd round picks for an All NBA player who can score and initiate offense and is not yet 30. They also keep Ayton who could be traded for depth pieces if required. It's a decision that any team would make, especially if money is not a stumbling block (Mat Ishbia).

sport2793

I'm surprised that this is the best they could get though the new CBA is supposed to be a pain, so maybe it deterred a bunch of teams.
It has more to do with the no trade clause the Wizards inexplicably gave Beal with the new contract a couple of seasons ago.

sport2793

Unless he's instantly bought out, and is that actually as guaranteed as some are making out? - then ouch for Paul. No way he finds motivation for this kind of muddling trade again.
Ya he's getting bought out, Wizards want to restart fresh with a young team that can tank.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It has more to do with the no trade clause the Wizards inexplicably gave Beal with the new contract a couple of seasons ago.
Aye. Miami were reportedly very keen on him and they’d have been able to trade first round picks so there certainly were better offers out there but you would need Beal to agree to them.

JPRouve

Scout
I would have believed that if he wasn't linked to the Bucks and Heat. I don't see a scenario where he wouldn't lift it for these teams.

sport2793

I would have believed that if he wasn't linked to the Bucks and Heat. I don't see a scenario where he wouldn't lift it for these teams.
You just made my point though, the Heat could offer better assets yet they traded him to Suns as Beal only agreed to go to PHX.

RORY65

Beal is a great 3 level scorer if you look at the data (actually a slightly better 3P shooter than Book), KD Book and Beal is a deadly trio, the question becomes who they are surrounded by that will make or break them. From the Suns perspective though it really was as good as they could hope for as you are trading a 39 year old player, one of the all time statistically worst playoff performers, and a couple of 2nd round picks for an All NBA player who can score and initiate offense and is not yet 30. They also keep Ayton who could be traded for depth pieces if required. It's a decision that any team would make, especially if money is not a stumbling block (Mat Ishbia).
Oh for the price you have to do it 100% (particularly given it suggests he was pushing to go there), I was just noting the somewhat duplicated skills of the Suns 3 main players (also Paul before him). As you say they also didn't have to give up Ayton as part of the deal which gives them flexibility to make further moves. The one slight concern is that Beal hasn't been quite as good or as reliable the last couple of years but I suspect that's more a case of Washington holding him back rather than being indicative of any major issues with him physically.

SinNombre

Can the Wizards waive Paul after the trade. Despite the history, getting Paul on a minimum would solve half of the Warriors’ issues and the rest can be solved by trading Poole and Kuminga.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Beal had a no-trade clause, so he had a fair bit of say as to who would be going the other way.

I was listening to some show on YouTube and they mentioned that the Suns originally wanted to deal Ayton and Shameet for him, however Beal didn't want Ayton to move do he declined that deal. He wanted Paul moved instead.

I guess that means it comes down to how much The Wizards want Beal moved on or how much they want the contract off the books.

SmallCaine

Can the Wizards waive Paul after the trade. Despite the history, getting Paul on a minimum would solve half of the Warriors’ issues and the rest can be solved by trading Poole and Kuminga.
Never happening, paul would end up a laker if he is waived. They have a starter role for him, warriors don't. I hope clippers get him though, CP3, Kawhi and PG, can't wait to see who starts in playoffs once those 3 get injured.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Beal had a no-trade clause, so he had a fair bit of say as to who would be going the other way.

I was listening to some show on YouTube and they mentioned that the Suns originally wanted to deal Ayton and Shameet for him, however Beal didn't want Ayton to move do he declined that deal. He wanted Paul moved instead.

I guess that means it comes down to how much The Wizards want Beal moved on or how much they want the contract off the books.

Wait, he gets to have a say on who gets included in the deal for him as well? That’s a crazy level of control.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Wait, he gets to have a say on who gets included in the deal for him as well? That’s a crazy level of control.
Well as he can veto any trade there is, he has some say in the matter. That’s what a no trade clause does for you.

JPRouve

Scout
You just made my point though, the Heat could offer better assets yet they traded him to Suns as Beal only agreed to go to PHX.
Fair enough, I would be extremely surprised if he decided to not lift his no trade clause for the Bucks or Heat. I would be less surprised if the Wizard foolishly pushed for a trade to the West or that many teams decided that the cap implications were too big.

Last edited:

Sarni

He got the best contract in the history of the league, while not actually being all that great.

Sarni

Fair enough, I would be extremely surprised if he decided to not lift his no trade clause for the Bucks or Heat. I would be less surprised if the Wizard foolishly pused for a trade to the West or that many teams decided that the cap implications were too big.
He may have wanted Phoenix and nothing else. They are better positioned to win the championship with Durant, Booker and Ayton and they clearly don’t care at all about money given how badly they fecked themselves with this deal. They will be paying like £5billion in taxes.

JPRouve

Scout
He may have wanted Phoenix and nothing else. They are better positioned to win the championship with Durant, Booker and Ayton and they clearly don’t care at all about money given how badly they fecked themselves with this deal. They will be paying like £5billion in taxes.
That's the part that I don't understand.

entropy

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Ayton is definitely not staying, has to be traded for some bench strength and draft picks for the future (I think they only have two first picks till 2028).

If Ayton doesn't go they'd struggle to be title contenders.

Sarni

They haven't really given up much for Beal. Shamet you can replace quite cheaply.

Free agency is coming up in two weeks time, they won't have much trouble filling out the roster with ring chasers and younger players who may fancy spending one year with a contender. They will be fine.

Sarni

Ayton is definitely not staying, has to be traded for some bench strength and draft picks for the future (I think they only have two first picks till 2028).

If Ayton doesn't go they'd struggle to be title contenders.
Yeah rumors that Blazers are interested, hope we don't offer them much for him though. I'd maybe be OK with Simons for Ayton straight swap, or maybe offer them no. 23 pick as a sweetener at most. He definitely won't make us contenders, but no one will (there are some rumors of no. 3 for Porzingis which make me want to puke).

JPRouve

Scout
Why? A team with Booker, Durant, him and Ayton doesn’t look bad. He probably thinks it’s his best shot at a title.
They have a better shot to the point that he would be totally against joining the Heat or Bucks?

sport2793

That's the part that I don't understand.
We should be clear, the Suns took 2 games off the Nuggets with Chris Paul injured for 4.5 games of that series and Ayton injured game 6. The Heat with all of the hype took 1 game, the Lakers were swept aside like roaches. Replace CP3 with Beal and that series goes 7 most likely. Does this trade make them better than the Nuggets currently, no, but with FA still to come and Ayton as an asset if they find a good deal, we don't know what the final roster will look like. I don't think you can say the Heat are a better fit as a result. Maybe the Bucks but they have a lot of question marks with Lopez and Middleton both FAs. So it makes a lot of sense to go to the Suns where Book and KD are under contract for years to come.

sport2793

Yeah rumors that Blazers are interested, hope we don't offer them much for him though. I'd maybe be OK with Simons for Ayton straight swap, or maybe offer them no. 23 pick as a sweetener at most. He definitely won't make us contenders, but no one will (there are some rumors of no. 3 for Porzingis which make me want to puke).
He's not going to the Blazers, I think if a deal gets done, teams like the Magic are likelier. Pacers can't trade for him until July 15th because of their RFA offer sheet last summer I believe, which makes it difficult for them due to new CBA. I don't think the Suns will want to deal with the Blazers and their sinking ship to be honest, Simons isn't enough to replace Ayton, they would probably rather see how he does under Vogel and trade him at the deadline if he doesn't work out if that's the type of offer they get.

sport2793

Mat Ishbia is one of the richest owners in the league, I don't think money is an issue here. He has more money than Lacob for example. Actually the Blazers are even better in this regard, except I get the sense the owner either doesn't want to spend money or doesn't know how to spend it to help an NBA team.

Sarni

He's not going to the Blazers, I think if a deal gets done, teams like the Magic are likelier. Pacers can't trade for him until July 15th because of their RFA offer sheet last summer I believe, which makes it difficult for them due to new CBA. I don't think the Suns will want to deal with the Blazers and their sinking ship to be honest, Simons isn't enough to replace Ayton, they would probably rather see how he does under Vogel and trade him at the deadline if he doesn't work out if that's the type of offer they get.
Magic have no need for a center though, Carter is perfectly adequate - unless they trade Carter and no. 6 for no. 3 which has been rumored as well (with Blazers then shifting no. 6 for another player).

Pacers won't want him anymore I reckon, Turner had a good season.

Sarni

Mat Ishbia is one of the richest owners in the league, I don't think money is an issue here. He has more money than Lacob for example. Actually the Blazers are even better in this regard, except I get the sense the owner either doesn't want to spend money or doesn't know how to spend it to help an NBA team.
Blazers need an ownership change, Phil Knight has wanted to buy a team for a long time and I bet he'd be more committed to the franchise than Jody Allen. But first and foremost they need a change of direction, the blabber about building a contender around Dame by adding average players needs to stop, I'm sick of it already. This week will be quite crucial in indicating what the direction is going to be, if we pick Scoot it's rebuild and we will probably let Dame go, if we start trading our picks and young players (which I expect to happen), it means we are going to give it one more go (which will inevitably fail). I'd feel way more excited about rebuild than another 42-44 win season and a first round exit. Let Dame go to Miami and compete for the championship there (which I actually reckon he might win with Butler, Adebayo and Spoelstra).

JPRouve

Scout
We should be clear, the Suns took 2 games off the Nuggets with Chris Paul injured for 4.5 games of that series and Ayton injured game 6. The Heat with all of the hype took 1 game, the Lakers were swept aside like roaches. Replace CP3 with Beal and that series goes 7 most likely. Does this trade make them better than the Nuggets currently, no, but with FA still to come and Ayton as an asset if they find a good deal, we don't know what the final roster will look like. I don't think you can say the Heat are a better fit as a result. Maybe the Bucks but they have a lot of question marks with Lopez and Middleton both FAs. So it makes a lot of sense to go to the Suns where Book and KD are under contract for years to come.
Does that mean that he was only willing to lift his no trade clause for the Suns?

sport2793

Actually I think you can rest easy, Blazers have moved onto other trade scenarios I think. This reporter has been very reliable for Suns related news and even reported Adrian Griffin going to Bucks before anyone else IIRC.

Sarni

Actually I think you can rest easy, Blazers have moved onto other trade scenarios I think. This reporter has been very reliable for Suns related news and even reported Adrian Griffin going to Bucks before anyone else IIRC.
Yeah Gambo is pretty reliable. I think it's good news for both teams, we don't have anything Suns would really want unless they just start shifting whatever assets they get from us, and Ayton won't move the needle anyway.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
They have a better shot to the point that he would be totally against joining the Heat or Bucks?
He seems to think that way. Maybe he’s friends with some of the players? There’s countless possible reasons really.