NBA 2022-2023

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Porzingis to Boston so that’s another bullet dodged. Brogdon goes to Clippers.

Siakam move apparently very unlikely as he won’t give Portland any assurances of re-signing next year and will want a max deal. Pointless to offer no. 3 under these circumstances.

Seems Paul George and Zion are left, Zion looking quite possible. I still prefer Scoot.
Yeah that's fair enough, can't be giving up picks for a one year rental unless you're already on the precipice.

SinNombre

KP should fix some of the Celtics’ team defense issues. They should again be there or thereabouts next season.

sport2793

KP should fix some of the Celtics’ team defense issues. They should again be there or thereabouts next season.
They lost their best point of attack defender though (think you made this comment before the trade being changed), someone who was DPOY a season ago. Too early to say how their defense will be affected.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Smart is gone
At that time it looked like Brogdon was the one being moved.

Entering crazy 24 hours leading up to draft and post draft. This time tomorrow I could be happy and I could be sad.

Sarni

Wow, I did not realize Grizzlies were parting with Tyus Jones to execute this trade. So it's Tyus and two firsts for Smart, I think it's an overpay.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I hope to see Jones traded to the Wolves, it seems more feasible now that he isn't with the Grizzlies.

Sarni

I hope to see Jones traded to the Wolves, it seems more feasible now that he isn't with the Grizzlies.
I don't think you'll have any issues dealing with Wizards. They will pretty much sell anybody now.

Do we know whether those picks from Grizzlies are going to Wizards or Celtics?

JPRouve

Scout
I don't think you'll have any issues dealing with Wizards. They will pretty much sell anybody now.

Do we know whether those picks from Grizzlies are going to Wizards or Celtics?
To the Celtics.

JPRouve

Scout
Are Wizards morons? Why would you take Tyus and not the picks?
I don't get it since they facilitated the bigger move. You can't even rationalize it by suggesting that they intend to flip Tyus. Some GMs would have landed both firsts, one for Porzingis to the Celtics and an other one for allowing Smart to the Grizzlies.

ZDwyr

Wizards are a joke. Although, I blame the previous front office more than the current one who have been dealt a crap hand. They're even tanking at the wrong time. They could have been rebuilding with potentially Wemby or Scoot but now will have a high pick in a considerably weaker draft.

Sarni

I don't get it since they facilitated the bigger move. You can't even rationalize it by suggesting that they intend to flip Tyus. Some GMs would have landed both firsts, one for Porzingis to the Celtics and an other one for allowing Smart to the Grizzlies.
Tyus should be easily movable for a first round pick but why would you overcomplicate this deal like that?

JPRouve

Scout

So the cap is going to be slightly higher than anticipated which apparently gives enough room for the Wolves to sign both NAW and Naz Reid. Hopefully they are both extended soone.

Sarni

Scoot apparently gaining some momentum at 2, which would essentially mean Brandon Miller for Portland and a much lower likelihood of trading the pick as the market for no. 3 with Scoot off the table will be limited. Miller probably a better fit both if we keep Dame and if we let him go.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Wow, I did not realize Grizzlies were parting with Tyus Jones to execute this trade. So it's Tyus and two firsts for Smart, I think it's an overpay.
2023 and 2024 picks (which will most likely be low)? I can live with

Tyus was a good bench option but this fills the Dillon Brooks hole in the team. Plus it's only right Marcus Smart follows in the hallowed footsteps of Tony Allen

Sarni

2023 and 2024 picks (which will most likely be low)? I can live with

Tyus was a good bench option but this fills the Dillon Brooks hole in the team. Plus it's only right Marcus Smart follows in the hallowed footsteps of Tony Allen
I don’t love Smart all that much. I think his value to Boston was much higher than it will be to any other team, similar to Draymond at Warriors.

Though indeed it’s no. 25 this year and something in the 20s next year, they hardly ever work out, but for Boston it will be valuable to have two cheap contracts under control as their roster is about to get very expensive.

RORY65

Can the Wizards waive Paul after the trade. Despite the history, getting Paul on a minimum would solve half of the Warriors’ issues and the rest can be solved by trading Poole and Kuminga.
Well, it's not the minimum for sure but you've got your man.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I like this move for the Warriors.
Poole had to go and CP3 gives you a very solid back up PG even at 38 years old.

He will mesh well with this team and should get assists for fun with Klay and Steph.

The next step for golden state if they want to keep the warriors dynasty alive is to trade for a stretch big. Someone like Lauri maarkanin comes to mind. They also need 1-2 more pieces after that.

SportingCP96

Supports
Tingus Pingus to win a chip in Boston and watch Knicks fans implode.

I am here for it.
He is a great fit in Boston.

Knicks fans aren’t worried about him. They are “next”.

They have a really talented young team with a lot of depth and a superstar in Jalen Brunson. Knicks are 2 pieces away in my opinion.

My dream scenario for NY is a trade for KAT who is a Leon rose guy and a NY kid along with getting PG13.

Sarni

I like this move for the Warriors.
Poole had to go and CP3 gives you a very solid back up PG even at 38 years old.

He will mesh well with this team and should get assists for fun with Klay and Steph.

The next step for golden state if they want to keep the warriors dynasty alive is to trade for a stretch big. Someone like Lauri maarkanin comes to mind. They also need 1-2 more pieces after that.
They don’t really have a way to get 3 more expensive players with the new CBA coming up. Their roster is already unbelievably expensive.

SportingCP96

Supports
They don’t really have a way to get 3 more expensive players with the new CBA coming up. Their roster is already unbelievably expensive.
Ahhh that’s right, didn’t even take that into account.

Then Lauri should be the guy they go for. They need a big man and a shooter.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
The Dubs must have wanted to get rid of Poole badly because for all intents and purposes (even though CP3 could be useful) this was a salary dump, especially when you are adding picks to make the deal go through.

SportingCP96

Supports
The Dubs must have wanted to get rid of Poole badly because for all intents and purposes (even though CP3 could be useful) this was a salary dump, especially when you are adding picks to make the deal go through.
After the draymond drama and his gif awful playoff performance I’m not surprised one bit tbh.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don’t love Smart all that much. I think his value to Boston was much higher than it will be to any other team, similar to Draymond at Warriors.

Though indeed it’s no. 25 this year and something in the 20s next year, they hardly ever work out, but for Boston it will be valuable to have two cheap contracts under control as their roster is about to get very expensive.
I think him being at Boston undervalued him. There was too much onus on him being a playmaker as the PG on the starting lineup*, and his deficiencies in that aspect limited his value in Boston's eyes.

(*The Jays in Boston need to improve in that aspect to offer something different when their shots aren't falling but that's another story)

We don't need him for that. He's an elite defender, plus he's not the black hole on offense Dillon tended to be. Plus he's an adequate backfill at PG while Ja is on suspension.

JPRouve

Scout
That's what I was thinking. The Poole situation is a bit strange because before the Draymond incident it was rumoured that he was annoying people behind the scene, people kind of dismissed it after Draymond lost his mind but maybe the rumours were correct?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
After the draymond drama and his gif awful playoff performance I’m not surprised one bit tbh.
If they were/are keeping Draymond, he had to go but a 38 year old who it was thought could possibly be waived as compensation was not my idea of a good return. As I said, the only way it makes sense is a salary dump and I'm not exactly happy about that because I was expecting a better return for a guy who played 82 games last year and averaged 20 ppg. Bad post season or not.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think him being at Boston undervalued him. There was too much onus on him being a playmaker as the PG on the starting lineup*, and his deficiencies in that aspect limited his value in Boston's eyes.

(*The Jays in Boston need to improve in that aspect to offer something different when their shots aren't falling but that's another story)

We don't need him for that. He's an elite defender, plus he's not the black hole on offense Dillon tended to be. Plus he's an adequate backfill at PG while Ja is on suspension.
I think it's a genuine win-win for both Memphis and Boston. The Celtics' frontcourt depth was super limited given Horford's age and they had too many guards - Pritchard is much much better than a 4th guard on a good team and deserves to be in the rotation. Smart makes sense as an adult in the room in Memphis and is a perfect fit culturally - both whilst Ja is out and when he's back as more or less the ideal guard partner skillset-wise.

For me the biggest incompatibility with Smart and the Celtics was Smart with Brown - you can really only have one guy YOLOing it in the half-court in the playoffs. Porzingis is a genuine weapon as a post scorer if/when the offense gets clogged - and the Celtics' offense badly needs an escape valve.

SinNombre

Well, it's not the minimum for sure but you've got your man.
I was hoping for it to be cheaper and to use Poole for a big.

It is a better move than fans are making it out to be. If they can get OPJ back on a vet min and keep him healthy, the team has championship potential.

SinNombre

If they were/are keeping Draymond, he had to go but a 38 year old who it was thought could possibly be waived as compensation was not my idea of a good return. As I said, the only way it makes sense is a salary dump and I'm not exactly happy about that because I was expecting a better return for a guy who played 82 games last year and averaged 20 ppg. Bad post season or not.
20 ppg at 50% true shooting and negative defense.

Poole is a negative player outside of box score watching ppg

SinNombre

The 2030 GSW first-round pick going to Washington is top-20 protected, sources tell ESPN.

Yeah this first is pretty much a second round pick and straight swap of Poole and Rollins for 1 year of CP3