NBA 2023-2024

Charlie Foley

Nah, thats bs, actually whole narrative right now going around how everyone outside that franchise is to blame for someone landing on his knee. Dont they have people above him to tell him no if there are red alerts.

The amount of flopping and going to the ground for FT baiting during a season, no wonder he gets injured often with all that stress on his knees with his size and weight, so dumb.
Yeah, no, for a couple of reasons.

(1) I’m not saying anyone outside is to blame? In fact I feel quite the opposite. He’s at fault if he tried to push through an injury, which it was pretty evident he did, because that’s stupid. And the coaching team are as stupid for letting it happen. Whatever external factor are in place, it’s still up to them how they want to react. And he and the people around him allowed the wrong thing to happen

(2) did you watch the game? I’ll presume not, because he looked awful long before Kuminga landed on him with 4 minutes left. There’s a lot more to it than that. He left the first quarter to have his knee checked out in the locker room after going 1-7. Went 5-18 overall. Moved terribly, and tentatively, all night.

R'hllor

Might miss understand you then, either way its sux for him, regardless of other things, what ticks me is that he is not helping himself with his decisions on and off the court.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Another win (not said that too often this season) and another good outing from J.K. Twenty nine points tonight on 11-15 shooting.

Just for comparison since they are both the same age (per 36 minutes)

Paolo Banchero 24/7/5 on 45% shooting

Jonathan Kuminga 22/7/2 on 53% shooting.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Meh, now the whole narrative is going to be about how Embiid lost the MVP because of injury when Jokic should have been the rightful winner anyway.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Meh, now the whole narrative is going to be about how Embiid lost the MVP because of injury when Jokic should have been the rightful winner anyway.
As much as I love Jokic, Embiid was walking away with the MVP title this year. What I know will happen though is the media going for SGA to win one Jokic now though, they are already starting to talk about Brunson.

SinNombre

Klay ruining Steph's 60 point night. I am done.

11 straight OT losses on the road now, 1-4 in OT for the season, something like 3-10 in close games.

As much as I love Jokic, Embiid was walking away with the MVP title this year. What I know will happen though is the media going for SGA to win one Jokic now though, they are already starting to talk about Brunson.
SGA winning the MVP is not a media narrative.

Almost all the advanced stats this season have had Embiid > SGA > Giannis/Jokic.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Klay ruining Steph's 60 point night. I am done.

11 straight OT losses on the road now, 1-4 in OT for the season, something like 3-10 in close games.

SGA winning the MVP is not a media narrative.

Almost all the advanced stats this season have had Embiid > SGA > Giannis/Jokic.
Not true, Jokic has higher PER, same WS/48 (0.307 v 0.306), much higher BPM and VORP.

SGA wouldn't be a ridiculous choice but you'll see overwhelming consensus that he should be the MVP over Jokic. I mean, like I said, they're already talking about Brunson.

EDIT: I can only see SGA above Jokic in RAPTOR ratings.

Last edited:

SinNombre

Not true, Jokic has higher PER, same WS/48 (0.307 v 0.306), much higher BPM and VORP.

SGA wouldn't be a ridiculous choice but you'll see overwhelming consensus that he should be the MVP over Jokic. I mean, like I said, they're already talking about Brunson.

EDIT: I can only see SGA above Jokic in RAPTOR ratings.
Best advanced stats that are still publicly available are EPM, Raptor and Lebron. SGA is ahead of Jokic is in 2 and slightly behind in LEBRON.

EPM (which has always loved Jokic): SGA +9.9 vs Jokic +7.2

PER, WS/48 are just built on basic box score stats without any context. I don't really check those.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Best advanced stats that are still publicly available are EPM, Raptor and Lebron. SGA is ahead of Jokic is in 2 and slightly behind in LEBRON.

PER, WS/48 are just built on basic box score stats without any context. I don't really check those.
This doesn't make any sense. Excluding Giannis, if you look at the 3 metrics you now cite we see:
So SGA is ahead of Jokic in 2, Jokic is ahead of Embiid in 2 and Embiid is ahead of SGA in 2. How does your claim of "almost all advanced stats have Embiid > SGA > Jokic" follow from these results?

Including Giannis makes the relationships even more complex.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

PER, BPM, WS are commonly used by analyst and journalists. Fair point that SGA is ahead of Jokic in 2 of the stats you mentioned above but then you can't ignore the rest that are also regularly used.

SinNombre

This doesn't make any sense. Excluding Giannis, if you look at the 3 metrics you now cite we see:
So SGA is ahead of Jokic in 2, Jokic is ahead of Embiid in 2 and Embiid is ahead of SGA in 2. How does your claim of "almost all advanced stats have Embiid > SGA > Jokic" follow from these results?

Including Giannis makes the relationships even more complex.
Well my original statement was incorrect because I don't check all of them regularly (only check EPM and Raptor) and incorrectly assumed they were going to be similar which they were in last few seasons - Jokic was top in all of them!

In any case, SGA will be well deserved especially if OKC continue to perform - he is a big part of their growth to a regular season contender this season.

PER, BPM, WS are commonly used by analyst and journalists. Fair point that SGA is ahead of Jokic in 2 of the stats you mentioned above but then you can't ignore the rest that are also regularly used.
Agreed but tv pundits and journalists are generally poor. The level of NBA punditry is the same as football; extremely basic, cliched and best ignored.

People like Thinking Basketball (Ben Taylor) would be my recommendation. He is a big Jokic and Steph fan and is great at describing how players evolve (has a good video recently about Wemby's progress).

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Another good win. 29 from Steph, 28 from J.K. That's 3 out of 4 and the 1 loss in OT. If we can just go ahead and trade Wiggs for Giannis before the deadline, we should be golden

Skåre Willoch

Love Bogdanovich to the Knicks. Should be a good aquisition. Hayward to OKC should also be decent. Whatever Dallas is doing I’m not so sure about

SinNombre

If Klay stops chucking and Wiggins continues his renaissance, we might be able to make a run back up the Western standings. Lot of the team is in decent shape with Steph obviously and Kuminga, Draymond and Podz.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Steph hit 11 3s tonight for the 13th time. Next best is 4 (Dame Lillard and Klay). Those 3 along with Zach Lavine (2) are the only players to have done it more than once.

Charlie Foley

If Klay stops chucking and Wiggins continues his renaissance, we might be able to make a run back up the Western standings. Lot of the team is in decent shape with Steph obviously and Kuminga, Draymond and Podz.
Podz has been a great addition and Kuminga is blossoming. We are just a way better team when he’s giving us what he is. Klay’s last game was way more measured (I’ve said that before though) and Wiggs has definitely improved. It’s great seeing so many young guys get good minutes.
Loon is really struggling this season though.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Podz has been a great addition and Kuminga is blossoming. We are just a way better team when he’s giving us what he is. Klay’s last game was way more measured (I’ve said that before though) and Wiggs has definitely improved. It’s great seeing so many young guys get good minutes.
Loon is really struggling this season though.
I keep repeating myself, because it's worth repeating. ;) :eek: Kuminga is going to be a star in this league.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Why the hell is SGA higher than Luka in the MVP race? He’s a good player but Luka is on a completely different level

SinNombre

We needed this. After all the OT and 1/2 point losses this season to finally win a close one with Steph scoring a 3 above KD with 0.7 seconds left. LFG!

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Interesting stat. In the last 10 years nobody has hit more game winners in the last 5 seconds of a game/OT than Steph.

SinNombre

Warriors back to 500 and United back to 0 GD with very important late wins that keep a terrible season alive for both, good weekend.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Warriors back to 500 and United back to 0 GD with very important late wins that keep a terrible season alive for both, good weekend.
People were salivating earlier this season at the prospect of both Lakers and Warriors missing the play-in. Typically it is the inexperienced teams (Rockets and Jazz) who are faltering while Lakers and Warriors look like they're finding their feet again. It would have been nice to get our young core some playoff experience but we might have to start thinking about next season already.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Interesting stat. In the last 10 years nobody has hit more game winners in the last 5 seconds of a game/OT than Steph.
Fate of the universe on the line. I'm taking IGUODOLA!

Why the hell is SGA higher than Luka in the MVP race? He’s a good player but Luka is on a completely different level
One game, that to away to Dallas, shouldn't change the way SGA has been performing the whole season. He's averaging slightly less ppg than Luka but with much higher efficiency, and leading a team to a much better record.

Dallas have suffered from injuries throughout and Luka can have insane one off performances that SGA can't, but over the season there's no doubt that SGA has been better.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Another win. That's 5 in a row and 7 out of 8. The 1 loss being when Steph hit 60 against the Hawks. Talking of Steph, really odd game from him tonight. For 3 and a half quarters it looked like he couldn't be arsed then all of a sudden he hits 5 threes in the space of about 5 minutes in the 4th quarter and the game goes from being reasonably competitive to a blowout.

SinNombre

We just need the Kings to continue struggling and one of Mavs or Pelicans to start dropping games. Suns have the toughest schedule left and the Warriors have the easiest (as per EPM) so some hopes of catching Phoenix as well. Just need to beat the Clippers and Jazz before ASB and keep the vibes intact.

As for Steph, he was playing reasonably well while shooting badly tonight. Lots of assists + 2 steals before his 4th quarter run.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
As for Steph, he was playing reasonably well while shooting badly tonight. Lots of assists + 2 steals before his 4th quarter run.
Yeah, it wasnt that he was playing badly. It just seemed like one of those games where he essentially took the night off and as long as the Jazz didn't get too close he let the others take care of things. Then all of a sudden Utah get the lead down to single figures and he just blows the game wide open.

Pretty amazing really.

Skåre Willoch

I know it's been said before, but Wembanyama is unreal. Triple double with blocks tonight. A few more turnovers and he would've had a quadruple :lol:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Blown another one. Twelve point lead with 8 minutes to go and the defense goes to hell. Steph with 41 and another 9 threes. Should have been enough.

Last edited: