Negative press!

Glorio

As a one-off game their performance was even worse, but the overall situation isn’t comparable. They’ve had a decent transfer window (at least they’ve signed all of their targets, I think), had just won the league and certainly had a lot more in their squad at the moment. We’ve had a disastrous windows where we’ve failed to sign any of our main targets aside from van de Beck and this season was supposed to be a season where we’ve finally stepped up.

United failing makes a great headline, but there are objective factors for the difference in coverage of those games as well. If Liverpool (hopefully, but not highly likely) will continue to lose, they’ll get absolutely battered by the press as well.
When the signings have actually got a chance to show their worth, we'd know whether or not our window was decent.

Btw ... And this is not directed specifically at you - Liverpool haven't been great. Lacazette missed two chances on a plate for Arsenal against Liverpool. As has been said, they scraped past Leeds, beat a 10 man Chelsea, got knocked out of the cup, and got trounced by Aston Villa!

My point? It's not a blip. Or at least, it's not a one-off blip

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
United are practically reliving what Liverpool were in the 90's and early 00's or ,for the more experienced fan, United in the 80's .

They were the ultimate laughing stock. They were getting laughed at-at every opportunity from the press, the fans and eventually their own loyal support.
"This is our year" became a running joke for good reason and it wont be long before we're in a similar deluded position when we've achieved the ultimate in winning a couple of early PL games in a brand new, hopeful yet familiar poor campaign.

Liverpool were a club that seemed trapped in a merry-go-round of bad decisions in the 90's and early 00's.

Bad management in the boardroom, poor recruitment of managers/coaches and wild work in the transfer market. Sound familiar ?

The club needed to accept its state. Be less arrogant. They were no longer the country's top dog.
Everything good was in the past and the moment they started to accept that they started to clean the slate and start afresh. Took a blooming long time, though. (Nelson Muntz "HA HA !")

So, we're receiving sh*t from the media and its depressing for us United fans but, fundamentally, we've gave them and everyone else reason to be so critical of us.
Because we're being run as a joke and until things start to settle down they will continue to laugh and scorn us til their hearts content.

This is on United to get their act together.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think the highest toxicity is coming from the fanzines from youtube. They all seem to believe that we've set Ole to fail because we didn't sanction some 200m in transfers again.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
When the signings have actually got a chance to show their worth, we'd know whether or not our window was decent.

Btw ... And this is not directed specifically at you - Liverpool haven't been great. Lacazette missed two chances on a plate for Arsenal against Liverpool. As has been said, they scraped past Leeds, beat a 10 man Chelsea, got knocked out of the cup, and got trounced by Aston Villa!

My point? It's not a blip. Or at least, it's not a one-off blip
Liverpool had been great in the last few years, not over the course of this season. Don’t get me wrong, I want them to fail more than anyone, but the body of work that they’ve built over the past few seasons surely gives them and their manager a bit of a leeway.

Stretender

In this climate, I've been reading and listening to more about football, the conclusion, I've come to which wasn't a surprise how negative ex pros, pundits in papers online, on radio etc, are towards Man Utd, I know it's been there from way back, but alot of it was jealousy from others because of our success.
But of late it's a blatant way to just stick the knife in, and it's the usual suspects the gutter useless press football writers who were probably given a good feck off when SAF was at OT. Or the mediocre ex pros who won feck all and had a few international caps in non descript games.

Example of negative press on last weekend's games.. ie Utd got a thumping, Utd were hammered Utd are a disgrace, sack the manager, ok we all know it was bad and as fans don't like it but have to except it, we as fans give them more grieve it's when it's deserved.
Utd were not the only team to get pumped at week end . One game ended 7-2. . Comments on that are Liverpool lost just lost it's a blip, there goal keeper is shit, etc . No overreaction by press or pundits in that game, because they beat Gunners and Chelsea, but scraped past Leeds, and went out of the EFL cup again.

I've read and listened to the whole load of crap that comes out of the Talk shite sport Radio station. Look online or turn radio on, in International break, and it's not about the international games, there still looking for stories true or untrue , about Man Utd. No matter what UTD do, it still seems where the biggest draw for everyone even the tosser who can only get a radio job after there mediocre careers are over in whatever sport they choose. Or fat useless football writer who hasn't even kicked a ball of wool.
Contrary to what most of us are thinking, the press do not hate Manchester United per say. The British press actually acknowledge and respect the name of Manchester United.

All the negative stories about us is mainly the media being alarmed at the state of things at the Premier League's biggest club.

The only person who is responsible for all the negativity and shambles at United is Ed Woodward. He should be the first person to admit that he has failed in the past 7 seasons and pave way to a structure that can actually work.

Woodward sets the tone as CEO. He hires managers, gives contracts and buys or sells players albeit through his staff.
For 7 seasons it hasn't worked.

If he cares about the Football club and it's reputation he must leave and give the job to someone like Van Der Sar. The only problem is that he benefits alot financially from United that he doesn't care about the reputation of the club so long as he makes enough money to pay dividends to the Glazers, and himself because he has shares as well.

I don't like the press but Woodward has given them enough reasons to report negatively about United.

Yes Ole is not the man for the job, but sacking him will not change anything as long as Woodward remains in his post. The next guy will face the same problems, it has become a vicious cycle.

Manchester United post Alex Fergusson do not even know how to handle the media, this has been one of their biggest problems so far, an area in which Fergie excelled well and made sure he led the narrative not the media themselves.

Simple example, Jadon Sancho saga. Woodward knew he wasn't prepared to pay what Dortmund wanted. Why couldn't he end speculation earlier by saying United would not be buying Sancho this summer. It's not a crime to admit you have no money to buy a player. Did he expect Dortmund to reduce the price on deadline day?

Most of us including me hated it when before transfer window closed, Fergie would come out and say, there is no value in the market, we won't be buying anyone. That is a classic example of how the master controlled the media. No one was going to write nonsense after that statement.

Why can't Woodward instruct our media team to be ahead of the game and deny or refute damaging stories. Madrid, Bayern or even City do this all the time.

Forget about Ole or even the players, Woodward himself is the biggest problem we have at the club. He is just a shambles of a leader and you don't need people like that leading an organisation in a crisis.

Last edited:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The headlines this morning are relentless in their anti-Ole nature. The way the Athletic, the Mirror and others have simultaneously lined up against him seems coordinated.

roseguy64

As a one-off game their performance was even worse, but the overall situation isn’t comparable. They’ve had a decent transfer window (at least they’ve signed all of their targets, I think), had just won the league and certainly had a lot more in their squad at the moment. We’ve had a disastrous windows where we’ve failed to sign any of our main targets aside from van de Beck and this season was supposed to be a season where we’ve finally stepped up.

United failing makes a great headline, but there are objective factors for the difference in coverage of those games as well. If Liverpool (hopefully, but not highly likely) will continue to lose, they’ll get absolutely battered by the press as well.
No, they didn't sign all of their targets. Werner, Lewis and Sarr were all targets for Liverpool.

Denis' cuff

Well seeing as we’re a huge and global club it’s unlikely that the majority are from Manchester.
I said “supporters” ie: people who actually support as opposed to “attach”

I suppose you’ll enlighten me that global supporters buy merch and pay tv subs. That is supporting the Glazers, not United.

You’ll never know the difference. You’ll never enjoy United, as your local club

cue: outrage

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Other than Rashford who has been lauded by the vast majority for what he’s doing off the pitch, we’re not giving them much to write positively about. I know I struggle on here.

romufc

No, they didn't sign all of their targets. Werner, Lewis and Sarr were all targets for Liverpool.
Yes, they were all targets. But they did sign alternatives in Jota, Tsimiskas and for their main target Thiago.

macheda14

I said “supporters” ie: people who actually support as opposed to “attach”

I suppose you’ll enlighten me that global supporters buy merch and pay tv subs. That is supporting the Glazers, not United.

You’ll never know the difference. You’ll never enjoy United, as your local club

cue: outrage
1, don’t Gate keep supporting man united.
2, I’ve been a season ticket holder in the past so you’re very wrong.
3, no I’ll enlighten you that some global supporters get up at crazy hours to watch the matches. Are part of fan clubs, go watch the matches with other supporters are probably as obsessive if not more obsessive than your or I.
4. You’re just a bit of a twat.

Web of Bissaka

Other than Rashford who has been lauded by the vast majority for what he’s doing off the pitch, we’re not giving them much to write positively about. I know I struggle on here.
1. Rashford the activist
2. Lindelof's heroic

and then uhh...
Vs our previous bad forms, Greenwood's, AWB's, VDB's, Mag's, Pogba's, etc etc. So many. Yeah we're making ourselves easy targets for negative writings.

Easiest solution is really just focus on ourselves behaving sensibly and professionally, and more importantly improve our football.
It'll shut them up.