Neil Lennon sack watch

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Hes on a string of poor results now and rangers can open a decent gap should they win today which is odds on.

Lennon has to be in trouble at this point.

harrington

Supports
Aston Villa
Thinking about it, alarm bells should've been going off after he made that statement about Celtic being more popular than Christ (and Rangers).

Last edited:

Wayne's World

He's set Celtic back about 10 years since he was appointed again. Should have continued on and looked for a progressive coach like Rodgers was.

Always wondered why they didn't try for Marco Rose when he was at Salzburg

padzilla

Hipster
Lennon is a good lad but I was never convinced he was the right man to replace Rodgers.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I thought Duffy would be a good signing for him. He's having an absolute mare. They're all over the place defensively at the moment and without Edouard, seem to have no cutting edge in the big games. It's a bad time for them alright.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Duffy is terrible. Lennon has taken them backwards. Rangers outperformed them in Europe last season and probably will this season despite Celtic having a near decade head start on them. I still fancy them to win the league, because I don't think Rangers can sustain their performances along with playing in Europe.

padzilla

Hipster
The Celtic board have backed themselves into a corner now. Bringing in a new coach could set them back months in terms of getting the squad integrated to his methods. But then Lennon was not exactly seen as a progressive coach by many. Celtic are probably the only club in the world who would see replacing Rodgers with Lennon as a good move.

Castia

Imagine being the manager that gets overtaken by Rangers after 9-10 years of easy league wins.

Jaxa

There Is mutters on the grapeline that Eddie Howe is in contention to replace Lennon, nothing solid in terms of sources yet but seems to split opinions amongst the fans, not sure how well an appointment that would be tbh

padzilla

Hipster
Eddie Howe would be too progressive a choice for the Celtic board sadly. They will probably go for Martin O’Neill again.

Paul_Scholes18

Is he not doing well. League wins every season and in the Europa league.
That is way above expectations even for Celtic.

Paul_Scholes18

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you're not a Glaswegian.
They are effectivly 3 points behind with many games to go though.
I don't think it justify being sacked.
I am not watching them much of course, but they played well against Ac Milan I thought.
Being in the europa league is great for them and they could even reach the knockout rounds.

Still ill

I just mean the title and participation in the Europa represents the very bottom rung of ambition for Celtic. Anything less is pretty disastrous.

Aretak

Being in the europa league is great for them
It really isn't, especially from a financial perspective. This season was their earliest exit from the Champions League for 15 years, losing at home to the mighty Ferencvaros. That's one qualifying round earlier than last year, when Lennon guided them to another home defeat and exit at the hands of the world-famous CFR Cluj. Granted, Rodgers also failed to get them to the group stage in his final season, but at least they lost out to AEK Athens in a tight away leg. And he got them to the group stage the two previous seasons. Lennon sure hasn't improved anything.

Paul_Scholes18

I just mean the title and participation in the Europa represents the very bottom rung of ambition for Celtic. Anything less is pretty disastrous.
Then they have got pretty big headed then. When was the last time Celtic did something great in europe?
Usually when in CL they have been easy points for other teams.
I guess at home with the fans they have been good before and got results not expected. Probably miss them more than many other sides in europe.

Still ill

Then they have got pretty big headed then. When was the last time Celtic did something great in europe?
Usually when in CL they have been easy points for other teams.
I guess at home with the fans they have been good before and got results not expected. Probably miss them more than many other sides in europe.
Just see the above post by Aretak. Participation in the group stages of the Champions league brings financial rewards, status, pulling power in the transfer market. They had grown to count on it. It seems a long way away at the moment.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Despite the current dip, his domestic record remains impressive. Last year under Lennon Celtic were on course for 15 points more than in Rodgers' last full season. They've barely dropped any points since he took over. And they've had some decent results in Europe too, last year being their best in terms of coefficients in a long time.

My take is that Rodgers was far better in coaching build-up play and attacking overloads. Lennon's strength is in defensive organisation and as such Celtic no longer look very cohesive going forward and have had to rely more on individual moments from their better players. They've wobbled at both ends this season and are fortunate they're still within touching distance of Rangers.

Paul_Scholes18

Just see the above post by Aretak. Participation in the group stages of the Champions league brings financial rewards, status, pulling power in the transfer market. They had grown to count on it. It seems a long way away at the moment.
Yeah true I guess reaching CL is the goal for them. Feel like without the fans they suffer in those games though. Not sure it is about the manager.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It feels like rangers are on the cusp of winning titles again. Disaster for Celtic but good for Scottish football. It might generate a bit more competition and interest in the league.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah true I guess reaching CL is the goal for them. Feel like without the fans they suffer in those games though. Not sure it is about the manager.
They suffered last season too. They went out at home (with fans) to Copenhagen in the Europa. Rangers have been better in Europe too which makes Celtic look even worse

Deery

Dreary
They badly miss Edouard up front scoring goals, they were pretty toothless until Griffiths came on the other day and never really troubled Milan either although played some good football.
I agree with people saying Duffy is shocking not the same player at all since he moved to Celtic.
I don’t think Lennon however will lose his job just yet even though he didn’t look to bothered on the bench. Who they going to get in now to replace him?

Tiber

Second place in a one team league is pretty embarrassing

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
The problem they have is that their transfer business over the past couple off years has been a bit strange, which in my opinion has led to a bit of a regress.

They went from peak Scott Sinclair, Rogic, Dembele, Griffiths, Brown, Tierney, Roberts, Gordon / Forster with millions in the bank & a settled strong team / squad, to a squad that seems unsettled, relying on a few loan players in their first XI, with players who Lennon admitted after the Euro defeat that they don't want to be there, and bar maybe Edouard, & perhaps Frimpong, I don't see any improvement in any of the last say dozen players they have bought.

This seems to have coincided with Rangers getting a more settled team / squad after Gerrard basically had to buy a full new squad the past couple of windows. And I think you can now see that in European games & games between the 2. If the board / manager / players fail to capture the 10 after the position of strength they have been in the fans will see it as a disaster, no matter the fact they'll have won 12 trophies in a row beforehand.

GlasgowCeltic

I expected the tenth title this year and the collapse under Lennon to occur next year with Rangers winning the league, so basically Lennon and Gerrard are both ahead of schedule

lsd

The Oracle
Eddie Howe being tipped to take over as Celtic manager

poleglass red

Rodgers team had started to wobble a bit prior to his leaving. Major surgery wasn't needed, maybe a few tweaks in players here and there, but there was system set up that worked and had served them well. Rodgers was a big name that Celtic were lucky to pull of, and he knew that and called the shots. After him, they wanted a yes man, bit like Utd with Ole, ex club legend, can identify with the fans, but almost, that he's glad to be here and board knows it. Lennon changed the style of the team , some recruitment hasn't been great, plus Rangers are and have been progressing. I think a more progressive manager might help them. Lennon has the passion alright, but a bit like Keano, maybe too much to be a club manager.