Nemanja Matic| BBC says deal agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

If we could get him for the same deal Everton got Rooney for I guess it would be ok for a stop gap 4th place season.

red thru&thru

I think this will happen, and I won't enjoy it.

He's always been slow, he's gonna get slower with each season. He's pushing 30. He's no longer wanted at Chelsea. Just feels like such a flat, downer of a signing.

Why do we have scouts? Why are we paying a scouting team if we're gonna splash £50m on a player Jose knows inside-out, and a Chelsea squad player at that.

A scouting team should be getting paid to PREVENT us from having to resort to this kind of signing. Y'know, to scout a player in a different league (or ours, i guess) flying under the radar with a similar skillset and potential impact.
I wonder how we signed...

Martial
Baily
Lindelof
Mikhi
Shaw
Herrera...

Without scouts? We should never have signed, Romero, Blind, Zlatan, Lukaku, Pogba etc as our previous managers had worked with these players, or they were at the club one time.

prtk0811

I wonder how we signed...

Martial
Baily
Lindelof
Mikhi
Shaw
Herrera...

Without scouts? We should never have signed, Romero, Blind, Zlatan, Lukaku, Pogba etc as our previous managers had worked with these players, or they were at the club one time.
Herrera was scouted by Fergie a lot since his role in sending us out of uel in 2012 . and Shaw was pretty much known all over england.

red thru&thru

Herrera was scouted by Fergie a lot since his role in sending us out of uel in 2012 . and Shaw was pretty much known all over england.
My point being, scouting has been done. Whoever the scout, they have been scouting dome on these players.

Scouting isn't only about the players playing ability, it's about his attitude, life style, his mentality etc...

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I don't think so but then opinion varies massively on it.
More like the delusion surrounding last season for him at Chelsea is strong on here. So strong that it is believed a take no prisoners, no nonsense task master like Conte used a 'passenger' as first choice all season, keeping an inform Fabregas on the bench all season long, to win him a league title.

Last edited:

Robertd0803

More like the delusion surrounding last season for him at Chelsea is strong on here. So strong that it is believed a take no prisoners, no nonsense task master like Conte used a 'passenger' as first choice all season keeping an inform Fabregas all season long, to win him a league title.
Don't forget he was terrible in at Old Trafford and in the FA Cup Final as well so the opinion of the whole season is based on those 2 games.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
More like the delusion surrounding last season for him at Chelsea is strong on here. So strong that it is believed a take no prisoners, no nonsense task master like Conte used a 'passenger' as first choice all season keeping an inform Fabregas all season long, to win him a league title.
Not a passenger, but his performances have declined year on year over the past three years, and he was clearly not in the top 6-7 players in that Chelsea team last season. No cause for concern?

Devil may care

For 30 - 35 m it would be a Win win Deal. I rate him better than dier for big ucl games in tight spaces .
£35M for a player past his best is not a good deal, and I don't think tight spaces will ever do a tanker like Matic any favours.

prtk0811

£35M for a player past his best is not a good deal, and I don't think tight spaces will ever do a tanker like Matic any favours.
Sisoko went for 30 m. And sigurdson is quoted 45 and he might even move. It'll be a good deal. Dont care too much about the fee if the player decent. These are crazy times.

Devil may care

Sisoko went for 30 m. And sigurdson is quoted 45 and he might even move. It'll be a good deal. Dont care too much about the fee if the player decent. These are crazy times.
None of those players are worth anywhere near the money quoted, I'd rather we stepped away from the stupid fees for mediocre players.

Devil may care

We need to Fix certain things in our team if we have to give a decisive shot at the title.
Matic doesn't fix anything though, he's just another lumbering pair of legs for Herrera to do all the running for, and the title challenge won't happen regardless as the attack is well off being good enough right now.

Mainoldo

Matic doesn't fix anything though, he's just another lumbering pair of legs for Herrera to do all the running for, and the title challenge won't happen regardless as the attack is well off being good enough right now.
Well it worked for Chelsea didn't it.

prtk0811

A better transition = more space = more goals = better attack. We are fine as long as we score 1 or 2 goals and dominate the midfeild and be resolute defensively.

We can dominate any midfeild with proper balance and matic is closest available and upgrade on fellani.

Devil may care

A better transition = more space = more goals = better attack. We are fine as long as we score 1 or 2 goals and dominate the midfeild and be resolute defensively.

We can dominate any midfeild with proper balance and matic is closest available and upgrade on fellani.
This transition isn't going to magically happen nor is it going to be aided by a DM that can barely get turned around, which also makes any midifield dominating hard to do as Matic vs the press is a liability.

We have Herrara and Lukaku so we are just a player short really.
We have lukaku and herrera. Martial wil be a good player again.
Costa and Hazard are comfortably better than any attackers we currently have IMO.

prtk0811

This transition isn't going to magically happen nor is it going to be aided by a DM that can barely get turned around, which also makes any midifield dominating hard to do as Matic vs the press is a liability.

Transition happens with better Passing range and better control. It Will happen.

Costa and Hazard are comfortably better than any attackers we currently have IMO.
Hazard 's in hererra 's pocket:D, Till we buy griezmann we'l be equal.

Alabaster Codify7

Squad player? he played 35 games in the league last year. He's an unequivocal starter.

Yeah, I'm being a bit harsh on Matic to be honest, I'd just prefer a quicker, younger option but obviously it's slim pickings out there.

I think this will happen by the weekend, personally. I'll def get behind him and stuff, but it just doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm.

Mainoldo

Yeah, I'm being a bit harsh on Matic to be honest, I'd just prefer a quicker, younger option but obviously it's slim pickings out there.

I think this will happen by the weekend, personally. I'll def get behind him and stuff, but it just doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm.
Define quick? I don't remember Toni Kroos and Sergi being that fast. Infact except for Spurs who are these quick midfielders.

Alabaster Codify7

Define quick? I don't remember Toni Kroos and Sergi being that fast. Infact except for Spurs who are these quick midfielders.

No idea - I'm not a paid football scout. They're out there, guaranteed. Other teams seem to find them, albeit those other teams are in a different position to us - ie - they can afford to take a gamble on a relative unknown, whereas we're under too much pressure to take that sort of chance, which I understand.

Put it this way, Matic is one of the slowest CM's I've seen in recent memory and therefore it's a given there are many much quicker players out there.

I don't think he's a bad player by any means though, just for the record.

Mainoldo

No idea - I'm not a paid football scout. They're out there, guaranteed. Other teams seem to find them, albeit those other teams are in a different position to us - ie - they can afford to take a gamble on a relative unknown, whereas we're under too much pressure to take that sort of chance, which I understand.

Put it this way, Matic is one of the slowest CM's I've seen in recent memory and therefore it's a given there are many much quicker players out there.

I don't think he's a bad player by any means though, just for the record.
Thank god your not a scout. He might be Fellaini like in size but he's not Fellaini like in pace. I think it's just lazy opinions when it comes to Matic. I'm not saying he is quick but he's quick enough for CM.

Ban

Prosinečki wasn't quick at all and he was a great player.

I'm not a scout, just to add.

Not a passenger, but his performances have declined year on year over the past three years, and he was clearly not in the top 6-7 players in that Chelsea team last season. No cause for concern?
I strongly disagree about him not being in their top 6 last year. Without the balance he and Kante provided there is no way they'd have won the league. No one will convince me that the Matic Chelsea had last season would add no value what so ever to United. That particular line of thought does not compute in my head. Especially when an obviously declining Carrick who is an inferior player than last seasons Matic, was repeatedly crucial for us time and again on his day. Chelsea will rue the day they ever make the mistake of selling Matic to us. Matic even without improving on last seasomln's form will give us a faster version of what Carrick at 36 offers us: a calm resasduromg defensive presence protecting our defence and recycling possession, not to mention that added physical presence and bite he brings defensively, and above all, the fact he'd let Pogba and Herrera off the leash to bully teams in the final third of the field.

Last edited:

sincher

I strongly disagree about him not being in their top 6 last year. Without the balance he and Kante provided there is no way they'd have won the league. No one will convince me that the Matic Chelsea had last season would add no value what so ever to United. That particular line of thought does not compute in my head. Especially when an obviously declining Carrick who is an inferior player than last seasons Matic, was repeatedly crucial for us time and again on his day. Chelsea will rue the day they ever make the mistake of selling Matic to us. Matic even without improving on last seasomln's form will give us a faster version of what Carrick at 36 offers us: a calm resasduromg defensive presence protecting our defence and recycling possession, not to mention that added physical presence and bite he brings defensively, and above all, the fact he'd let Pogba and Herrera off the leash to bully teams in the final third of the field.
Kante, Hazard, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Costa, Cahill and Alonso were all more important than and played better than Matic last season. Courtois, Moses and Pedro about the same.

AKDevil

Remember his debut against City? He didn't just nullify Toure he ran all over him. Bullied him. Shame he's lost that mobility or will to play like that now and looks like more of a 'sitter' just spraying the call around and making the odd interception.

My point being, scouting has been done. Whoever the scout, they have been scouting dome on these players.

Scouting isn't only about the players playing ability, it's about his attitude, life style, his mentality etc...
Prosinečki wasn't quick at all and he was a great player.

I'm not a scout, just to add.
Kante, Hazard, Azpilicueta, Luiz, Costa, Cahill and Alonso were all more important than and played better than Matic last season. Courtois, Moses and Pedro about the same.
For me there is no way Cahill had a more crucial role to Chelsea last season than Matic. Neither did Courtois. I don't believe Pedro had a superior season either. The key players to Chelsea win IMO were Azpicuelta, Luiz, Moses and Alonso in defence, Costa and Hazard up top. And the 3 center midfielders Kante, Matic and Fabregas. And for me Kante, Hazard, Costa, Luiz, Matic, Moses & Alonso (together) plus Fabregas were their top 7 crucial performers last season. Those 7 IMO determined their title win.

sincher

For me there is no way Cahill had a more crucial role to Chelsea last season than Matic. Neither did Courtois. I don't believe Pedro had a superior season either. The key players to Chelsea win IMO were Azpicuelta, Luiz, Moses and Alonso in defence, Costa and Hazard up top. And the 3 center midfielders Kante, Matic and Fabregas. And for me Kante, Hazard, Costa, Luiz, Matic, Moses & Alonso (together) plus Fabregas were their top 7 crucial performers last season. Those 7 IMO determined their title win.
Cahill was very important and consistent, was named in the PFA team of the year. Matic did not have a good season. If he came here for 40m and had the same kind of season it would not be a significant upgrade on what we have and he would be a failure. At very least we would have to hope he can still play like he did 3 years ago.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
After Barca made Carrick look like an OAP earlier today, is it right to get Matic who isnt exactly fast himself?

edcunited1878

Matic had about 10 assists in the league last year and has consistently covered a lot of ground in central midfield. He can pick a pass and move around well enough. He would bring the necessary balance to Pogba and Herrera in a midfield 3.

I think too many on here are conflating Chelsea's need to upgrade their players to suit their playing system better, with the players being replaced being useless. Conte tends to like mobile, dynamic players for his 3-4-3. Hence attempting to add the dynamism and legs of Bakayoko, and the back from loan Pasalic in place of Matic, plus squad men like Challobah and Loftus Cheek, kinda makes tactical sense. But just because a Matic suits their needs less, doesn't mean that is the case for other teams with different needs.

Mourinho as compared to a Conte prefers a rather regimented structure. His midfield and attack tends to have its players sticking to their roles and spheres of play, with them then being given freedom in those areas, rather than freedom to roam. Thus, for a side like United under a Mourinho, were dynamism and speed is not a requirement in center midfield for the holding role, but tactical understanding, positioning and ball recycling and retention is essential, a player of Matic's type and skill set would thrive. Especially when paired with more dynamic partners like a Herrera and a Pogba. To illustrate this further, Bakayoko for example is the perfect fit for Conte's preffered structure of play, but under Mourinho, employed in a Carrick role, he'd be an utter liability.

Godfather

After Barca made Carrick look like an OAP earlier today, is it right to get Matic who isnt exactly fast himself?
Yes. After seeing Carrick struggle again in a game like this a player like Matic that can finally fill his boots is even more important

MrSingh2002

After Carricks performance today I think we definately need a more mobile CDM and don't think Matic is enough of an improvement.

el3mel

Matic isn't the best DMF to stand against Barca attack either but at the same time, he would have been better than Carrick by a mile. I don't want to see Carrick this season except in the cup games tbh.

Last edited:

Hawks2008

Really hope we avoid a lumbering sack of shit like Matic but I guess the aim is to make Tony Pulis jealous of all our big sweaty men...

Status
Not open for further replies.