Neville - ‘’no style of play’’

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I also added levels achieved. For Chelsea the manager since taking over is getting more then the sums of its part out of his team.

Considering the quality & type of players have United should be 1) be title challengers (still to see) 2)playing fluid attacking football & actually looking like a technically proficient team.
So you like their champions league win? That’s a good reason to be fair.
what about how they play?

Marwood

drop a CF to Centre mid and its 451. We even had Cantona playing also a SS for years and Scholes as a support striker and it was wildly different. Our wingers under 99 era were actual wingers and not wide forwards hence the likes of Rooney AND Ronaldo could score more than 20 goals a season at the same time. Also our CF in the 2008 era was interchangeable so again nothing like the 99 era. 2008 Carrick and Scholes were vastly different to 99 era Scholes and Keane.
SAF could successfully implement John Oshea as a CM
You drop a centre forward for a midfielder and yeah it can be 451 or 433. We used both around that 08 period. It was a change from SAF but not some epic change of course.

Yep real wingers in 99 but Nani was an actual winger, Ronaldo was until his last year or two, Giggs was still a classic winger in 08. Fergie liking and using real wingers never really changed. Nor was he chained to it in his younger years as Beckham was completely different and he sometimes played Scholes on the left to great effect.

The four centre forwards in 99 were interchangeable and all very different as were the options in 08.

I'm not sure what John Oshea playing in CM proves but Fergie was playing a CD in midfield back in the mid 90's with Johnsen. Again nothing new.

Have to admit it grates a little when people say "you can't do X or Y in modern football."

Yeah some things have changed, the keepers pass it a lot more, teams play in their own halves more but the fundamentals are the same.

In a big club if you can't pass a ball you won't have a style. You'll forever be caught in limbo because you can't play like Burnley either.

That's true now and it was true 20 years ago. That's why mid 90's onwards Fergie had a bunch of players who could really play.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I also added levels achieved. For Chelsea the manager since taking over is getting more then the sums of its part out of his team.

Considering the quality & type of players have United should be 1) be title challengers (still to see) 2)playing fluid attacking football & actually looking like a technically proficient team.
What an absolute load of over exaggerated garbage that is. They fluked a CL win 1-0 because pep ‘lost the fight with his inner smart-Arse’. Oh, they took Villarreal to pens too. There was another team that did that. Forget who. Chelsea play efficient football, they are not greatly entertaining but the amount of money they spent for Lampard and the players they bought in, plus there additions this window you would expect nothing less than being there or thereabouts. Again, there was another club who had a good window, and is up there at the top of the league. The name escapes me.

Godfather

Its about displaying hypocrisy. On the one hand we have quotes from Varane praising our 'very detailed' training sessions. Completely ignored and passed off as PR because its not the message anyone wants. Now on the other hand we have some comments from a guy routinely criticised in his main thread, but now because he says something on message he's completely qualified to comment. Its hypocrisy, plain and simple.

You keep referring to that thread as an echo chamber. Its one thread, so I don't know why it upsets you so much, and it only exists because the entire football forum has become a much bigger example of an echo chamber that's there really nowhere else to go.
Neville has been wrong about many things in the past. On other things he's been right. Those things aren't exclusive and it's fair to point out both. On this occassion he's obviously very right and it's a bit damning for Ole that even Neville who's a close mate is coming out with it publically

BoltonWanderer

Supports
Bolton Wanderers
The most obvious issue for United is the problem created by Bruno/Pogba/LW. You can only have two in the team at once but they're all star players, so someone has to miss out.

If you go with Fernandes in front of McTominay and Fred, it means it's either Pogba or Sancho/Rashford on the left. If you put Pogba alongside McTominay and Fred, you then either push Fernandes wide or drop him.

United have created a problem similar to what Arsenal created when they signed Ozil. They were a better team without him but if you try to shoehorn too many players into a system, it just doesn't click. The following midfields are better in my opinion:

McTominay - Fred
Greenwood - Fernandes - Pogba​

Or...

McTominay - Fred
Greenwood - Pogba - Sancho/Rashford

Godfather

The most obvious issue for United is the problem created by Bruno/Pogba/LW. You can only have two in the team at once but they're all star players, so someone has to miss out.
Bruno and Pogba are the least of our problems. They root far deeper than that. Without Bruno who knows where Ole would be. We looked really bad in the first half of the season last year without him. He brought new life into the club and the team with or without Pogba in the same side.

432JuanMata

Ole was better off when we had a much worse squad and we could counter attack. These where the games that Mcfred looked better as there job was too chase the ball, work hard and energy. But now we have to dominate games Mcfred are useless as they lack the ability on the ball but it’s up too Ole too drop one and be more tactical which he is struggling with

passing-wind

Think Ole's management criteria is best suited out of possession but because of the United perceived way of attacking, he's being forced to adapt in a way where he's either unprepared or unable to organise the team tactically to make good decisions in possession.

I said last season that with newer players the team won't improve in this aspect and it's proving correct. Even with a Rice or Ndidi these additions don't influence patterns, phases of play or off ball movement all of which are down to coaching.

I think the only way for Solskjaer to salvage any kind of consistency in having a team performance is to use the 4-3-3. The best performances were under this shape with Herrera, Pogba and Matic. It wasn't great but was certainly better than what's being offered up presently.

Crashoutcassius

He has said this over and over again over the years in different words. He always parrots what the social media idiots are saying, guaranteed way to be popular and get clicks

OLLY ORANGE

See this is what gets me about people who are militant Ole outters, are we still harping on about his time in Molde or Cardiff as being his only experience and ignoring that he's had consecutive top 4 finishes, has improved his league standing each season, overturned a mish mash of a squad and added world class talent, has gone on some strong cup runs and got us to a European final which we lost on the 11th penalty.

The fact is Ole has set a pretty high bar, one that LVG, Moyes and Mourinho couldn't guarantee during their tenure despite their successful CVs and visions. There's likely only a handful of managers who could guarantee an improvement on what he's delivered and they are employed by our fiercest rivals.

I'm not convinced Ole is the man to take us back to the top (but that's as much to do with the strength of City and Chelsea as Ole's weaknesses) but he deserves a hell of a lot more credit and respect than what a lot of fans are currently giving him.
Do you think Ole has made huge strides from his early management outings?
All i care about is the club and don't really care who is in charge as long as they get us back winning trophies with a style of football we've come to expect.
Previous managers you named were all given the same support and criticism by my self when they deserve it.
Moyes was never ready to run a club like utd, LVG's football was stagnent and was never gonna work out long term and Jose couldn't and wouldn't change and were all the wrong choices by the board
You are not convinced that Ole is the man to take us back to the top.
I wonder why?
I never personally attack Ole but i do call him out on his glaring limitations and mistakes i see with his teams.
I don't see a pretty high bar set by Ole with the squad that he has in front of him.[/QUOTE]

Again, there was another club who had a good window, and is up there at the top of the league. The name escapes me.
Everton & Brighton are up there at this early stage. Whether or not they can stay there is hard to tell, at this early stage I’d be looking at how they are playing

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Everton & Brighton are up there at this early stage. Whether or not they can stay there is hard to tell, at this early stage I’d be looking at who they are playing
Fixed.

Everton have played Leeds, Norwich, Southampton and conceded 2 goals more to Villa than we did.
Brighton have played Burnley Watford and Palace. They were beaten by Everton.
Its not hard to tell, of course they will both fall away when they come up against top half opposition. Ive lost to the point of what you were trying to prove - shall we agree to disagree and move on?

Last edited:

432JuanMata

Everton & Brighton are up there at this early stage. Whether or not they can stay there is hard to tell, at this early stage I’d be looking at how they are playing
Obviously they won’t but the problem for us is Chelsea have played away to Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and at home to City yet are ahead of us.

Fixed.

Everton have played Leeds, Norwich, Southampton and conceded 2 goals more to Villa than we did.
Brighton have played Burnley Watford and Palace. They were beaten by Everton.
Its not hard to tell, of course they will both fall away when they come up against top half opposition. Ive lost to the point of what you were trying to prove - shall we agree to disagree and move on?
I actually agree who they have played should be taken into consideration…. United have played Leeds, Wolves, Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham, Aston Vila.

Pretty similar fixtures to our own, also they scored 2 more against Southampton then we did and they were away to Vila… next we can discuss each clubs transfer spend and how the long the manager has been at each club.

432JuanMata

Totally and the biggest key to molding this together, is that midfield area we know we are severely lacking, which we have been struggling with for years.
That is fair and yes our MF is poor but still we lack a style and Ole has too come up with a plan to minimise the weakness.
The problem I have is people use Klopp at Liverpool due to the similar starts and position in the league but Liverpool under Klopp in the first few years had a style of play and you could tell he just needed the players too challenge with Ole even if we fixed the MF I still wouldn’t be confident we would do much.

JG3001

It would probably help if he sacked off the 4231 in games where we expect to have the majority of the possession.

For those mocking the “patterns of play” line, he doesn’t need to be a tactical genius, but off the top of my head:

- Overlapping fullback and wingers to stretch the pitch
- Pass and move triangles in the midfield/final third, quick one touch
- Forwards occupying the defenders on the shoulder
- Midfielders running through the lines
- Team pressing the opposition when off the ball

Not saying all these things necessarily mesh together in one perfect system for 90 mins every game, but we see maybe one or two of the above for 10/15 minutes in the odd game, and that’s its. Hence it feels like the players are being relied onto click.

The only time we ever look consistently slick in game is on the counter, otherwise it’s quite slow and ponderous, lots of sideways passing in front of defenders, hope/expect Bruno or Pogba to pull a rabbit.

432JuanMata

This season has convinced me more and more that the people who said he only plays counter attack where right.
When he had a poor squad and played on counter it worked but now we are expected to dominate most games we look clueless.
I understand the CM is poor but are people confident if we fixed that we would be a top side ? As everywhere else on paper we are incredibly strong. The MF might be poor but being dominated by Villa, Wolves and Young Boys shouldn’t be happening.

Sviken

Everyone has to remember it is a fact that United fans are spoilt by ridiculous success and, along with the players now pundits who played a part in that success, create a damaging negativity through their lack of perspective.

United are so much better than they were pretty much all of the time under Moyes, LVG and Mouriniho. The Leeds game alone was more goals in a single game than any United team under those 3 managed in 5 years.

But as Ole is finding out with progress and better players comes higher expectations and until we’re at the 1999, 2008 levels United fans won’t be satisfied (not that we should be anywhere near satisfied). But we still need to recognise the progress and not start creating a toxic atmosphere after our first league defeat.
I fail to see how United fans can be considered spoilt. Ole would have NEVER gotten a 3 years job at any top club. Neither would have Van Gaal or Mourinho and Moyes wouldn't have even been hired. The reality is that the United fanbase isn't even vocal enough and willing to put up with too much mediocrity because of some mystical "United way" that most people don't even know what is.

And no, we're not better than during Mourinho's days, this is something people refuse to admit. With Mourinho we've achieved more points with a way worse squad, that's discounting the trophies we won with him. Okay, you don't like his off the field antics, i'll agree to that, but to claim we're better as a football team is ridiculous. Not in terms of results and not in terms of play. Unfortunately, with Ole we're just as negative as we were during Mourinho's tenure, more concerned about avoiding defeat than actually "giving it a go", if I'm to quote one of Ole's favorite phrases.

And furthermore, United fans have a right to be entitled for trophies. This team has spent equal to Guardiola's City with none of the success. But unlike Guardiola's City, the clubs money doesn't come from some sheikh or an oil country, it comes from our pockets - the United fans. And as such we have a right to expect a certain standard considering the amount of money Ole has spent. All United fans like me are asking is that Ole be judged by this season. And no - top 4 doesn't count as a trophy.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Last nights CL was fascinating between the oily teams. Defensively, speed of transition, passing, formation. Not perfect on either side of course. But structured, coherent, disciplined. From this side of the fence, is this the promised land?

croadyman

Last nights CL was fascinating between the oily teams. Defensively, speed of transition, passing, formation. Not perfect on either side of course. But structured, coherent, disciplined. From this side of the fence, is this the promised land?
Don't worry we will see it again one day when we have a coach who understands the importance of ball possession and developing patterns of play on the training ground rather than what we are seeing right now

OLLY ORANGE

It's amazing you can ask such with a straight face. Do you need reminding where he found Cardiff and where he left them? Has United suffered the same back ward trend since he took over?
His time at Cardiff was a nightmare. Living in the area and managing to watch several games under his tenure with my father as a season ticket holder the feeling around the Cardiff fans was that his decisions was mind boggling with awful set up sides from week to week.
I agree the majority of football hasn't gone backwards and that the spirit and the harmony in the camp is greatly improved.
But from winning trophies it has gone backwards from the last previous two managers who had a way of playing which was rightly deemed not acceptable and a camp that was unhappy.
When Klopp first went to Liverpool it started poorly but from the off he had a philosophy on the way the side was going to play.
The side showed signs from the off of this and has improved year on year with this same style. He addressed the weaknesses each transfer window with the signing of a Gk, 2/3 holding midfielders and a key central defender.
I still don't see Oles big vision on how he wants us to play after being heavily backed in each transfer window and not addressing glaring issues in that midfield of a very good squad that should be competing.

wise_old_man

Don't worry we will see it again one day when we have a coach who understands the importance of ball possession and developing patterns of play on the training ground rather than what we are seeing right now
We had Louis Van Gaal. But then we chased him away. Woodward even fired him in an embarrassing manner.

432JuanMata

We had Louis Van Gaal. But then we chased him away. Woodward even fired him in an embarrassing manner.
He was rightfully fired the mistake was then replacing him with a manager who plays totally different instead of a manager that plays close to the same

stw2022

At least you could tell what Van Gaal was trying for. It may have resulted in fairly tumescent football but at least it looked like tactical instructions were more advanced than the shrug and “good luck, lads” our play today looks indistinguishable from

Longlivekeano

Fergie’s teams always evolved and devolved in style.
1. Mid-Late 1980s: tactical experimentation with Fergie fledgings and Atkinson’s boys
2. Early 1990s-1994: pacy wing play, combative midfield and power forwards
3. 1994-1999: dominate midfield possession, nippy/tricky forwards
4. 1999-2004:
5. 2004-2009: 5-4-1 diamond with Ruud alone on top
6. 2009-2012: compact def and mid, interchangeable front 3

Suedesi

That's great and all; I find the whole calling out posts thing pretty sad, but hey, it is what it is. Maybe there's some extreme circumstances that warrant it, and some of it has been amusing. However, in a thread where there's rational debate going on, and someone comes in asking for posters previous on Neville to be called out, then that's a whole other thing. I mean, I've never once looked at a posters previous on a topic when debating with them... If something obvious came to mind, I would bring it up, but that's about it. I think this whole 'accountability' spiel all sounds a tad bit pretentious at this point. I'm sure loads from that General thread have some absolute gems in their post history. You say you want good debate, yet come into a thread with good debate, and post what you posted...

Nah, you don't always have to throw in a caveat, I'm not buying that, sorry. You can be critical in logical, non hyperbolic fashion. It doesn't always have to contain a caveat, that can often be construed as an excuse or blind optimism. Imo, it's no better than an 'out' poster starting a post with feint praise and signing off with Ole out. It's the lack of nuance that makes the Ole debate utterly ridiculous.

You could read a post on here claiming he's doing a fantastic job, only for the next post to call him a League 2 manager. The fact is, neither are true. If he were doing as good a job as some of you make out, then why are we talking about his credentials nearly 3 years in? Conversely, if he were doing a terrible job like some maintain, he would be gone. I mean you're too intelligent to believe that anyone who wants him out is a 'clueless idiot' etc. I know some genuinely hold that view, but it says more about them and their emotional intelligence tbh. The truth obviously lies in the middle, but the harsh reality is that he needs to deliver this season. Repeatedly shouting 2nd place, rebuild, semi finals, cultural reset, just won't cut it anymore. He absolutely needs to deliver now as he's had sufficient time and backing.

My expectations - which can be quoted away - was a title challenge and decent run in Europe this season. I came into the season with a huge air of positivity, but yeah I'm worried now. I'm not screaming for his sacking, as I think barring a major feck up, he should see out the season. However, my initial positivity is waning, as our performances have offered me little encouragement. We can spin the positivity meter to max, and talk about 1 point off the top etc. The reality is, it's only glossing over context and our generally poor performances. Can he still meet the fair expectations that have been placed upon him this season? He absolutely can, and maybe he will. But pretending the early signs aren't great, is being dishonest. As is playing down defeats with excuses or its only the LC etc. At the end of the day, you guarantee the same people saying it's only the LC, would have a very different tune had we won convincingly. The pressure appears to be building so the petty point scoring and micro analysis is well underway.

Regarding what Neville said: I happen to agree with the general premise of it. If you don't, and others don't, that's fair enough. I certainly wouldn't be pushing his opinion onto anyone, but at the same time, I would be bemused if people were hand-on-heart happy with how we play. I've seen some calling it buzzwords etc. but it's no different than the positive buzzwords such as 'rebuild' and 'cultural reset'. Neither side like when the other uses these phrase, but both do it. I've always found the general attitude by some towards the phrases 'patterns' or 'patterns of play' to be ridiculously childish. Yes, some talk through their arse when they say it, but others have posted very good, methodical posts about the phrase and it's definition. Of course, I'm sure they were scoffed at by the ones that have made up their minds that the phrase is for weirdos. That's the nature of this place these days, you can't discuss Ole with certain posters without passive aggression, insults or constant deflection. Despite that, there's good discussions to be had, even though some like to pretend it's all frothing at the mouth posters screaming for him to go. You seem to not like the hyperbole from one side only, but it's actually coming from both sides. If posters from both sides had their bullshit called out, it would make for far more interesting debate.
Good post!

Flexdegea

At least you could tell what Van Gaal was trying for. It may have resulted in fairly tumescent football but at least it looked like tactical instructions were more advanced than the shrug and “good luck, lads” our play today looks indistinguishable from

Aye at least we knew what he was doing if even it was worse football I've ever seen in my life, and brought in worse results and even more wastage on funds with absolute dung players took a age to move on.

But at least we knew he was trying to bore us to death, but was solid with patterns of play, passing backwards and sidewards.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Aye at least we knew what he was doing if even it was worse football I've ever seen in my life, and brought in worse results and even more wastage on funds with absolute dung players took a age to move on.

But at least we knew he was trying to bore us to death, but was solid with patterns of play, passing backwards and sidewards.
I miss the glory days of "shot on target in first half" was like a victory.

Flytan

I think ole is incredibly incompetent but anyone defending van gaals tenure here is just delusional. We played the worst football I had ever seen. Yes he had a style of play unlike ole but he failed at implementing it completely.

Godfather

fecking crap game. Thank God we have enough individual class I sometimes make up for our lack of game plan

PSV

Whatever we started doing after they scored is what we should have done from the kick-off. Was this actual instructions in the first half or do our players need a hit on the chin to actually bother? Villarreal looked absolutely shambles after they had scored.

Flexdegea

I miss the glory days of "shot on target in first half" was like a victory.

Shivers thinking of it......my most grimmest time watching us, and I liked van gaal too that was the worse bit. Like paint drying. Make Moyes Fulham match look swashbuckling :lol:

Thiagoal

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team set up so ridiculously as we did in the first half. Basically McTominay sitting (although not all the time) and Pogba and Bruno playing as number 10’s. Add to that two wide forwards and Ronaldo- it’s no reason they were strolling through us at will! Shambolic!

cyberman

Say what you want but that winner is a fantastic goal when you see Lingard means the pass

Abraxas

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team set up so ridiculously as we did in the first half. Basically McTominay sitting (although not all the time) and Pogba and Bruno playing as number 10’s. Add to that two wide forwards and Ronaldo- it’s no reason they were strolling through us at will! Shambolic!
There was a more ridiculous side just this Sunday - Tottenham. Talk about hyperbole. It was a poor half but no need to go over the top, clearly something different was tried and it didn't work out.