New Champion's League Format

Ted Lasso

Didn't realize there was a new format planned for the 24-25 Champions League season. (Mods please delete if there's another thread, which I couldn't find on quick search).

What do we think? It will lead to more interesting matchups in the group stages for sure. Is this a sort of response to the super league attempt?

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/new...nal-format-and-access-list-for-its-club-comp/

Format Summary
Taking the total number of teams from 32 to 36 in the UEFA Champions League, the biggest change will see a transformation from the traditional group stage to a single league phase including all participating teams. Every club will now be guaranteed a minimum of 8 league stage games against 8 different opponents (four home games, four away) rather than the previous six matches against three teams, played on a home-and-away basis.

The top eight sides in the league will qualify automatically for the knockout stage, while the teams finishing in ninth to 24th place will compete in a two-legged play-off to secure their path to the last 16 of the competition.

Similar format changes will also be applied to the UEFA Europa League (8 matches in the league stage) and UEFA Europa Conference League (6 matches in the league stage) and both will also include 36 teams in the league phase.
Essentially an increase to 36 teams (up from 32), with each playing 7 different teams home and away (up from 3), with rankings that send the top 8 teams into knockouts and the teams ranked 9-24 into a playoff for 8 spots.

Knockout stages remain the same.

Red Star One

I was surprised when I played Football Manager and this came up, think it’s worth giving a try as there have just been too many irrelevant group stage games in the current format.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
It's a really really stupid format. The European giants will put in their B teams.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
How do they decide which 8 teams you play?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It's a really really stupid format. The European giants will put in their B teams.
You’d want to make it to top 8 though to avoid having to play an extra tie. This approach should actually be favored over resting your players.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I don’t think it will be bad as the group stage has gone stale. I don’t want games in Saudi Arabia or the USA anytime soon though.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Terrible format.

If I'm not mistaken, it pretty much guarantees broadcasters a cracker every match-day. That's all that matters in today's game.
But they won't be crackers cause there's no jeopardy.

Pronewbie

Peep
Terrible format.

But they won't be crackers cause there's no jeopardy.
Well the group stage didn't offer any real jeopardy in its first 3 games either. At least this format offers more opportunities for big clubs to clash every week. And correct me if I'm mistaken there is still the jeopardy of not qualifying past the halfway mark.

Pintu

How do they decide which 8 teams you play?
This I’m curious to know too
same way, they decided it currently. A full draw. Teams are allocated to 4 levels/pots based on their ranking. Currently you have your level and you play three teams from the other 3 levels… In the future, you will play two teams from each of the four levels (including yours).

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
same way, they decided it currently. A full draw. Teams are allocated to 4 levels/pots based on their ranking. Currently you have your level and you play three teams from the other 3 levels… In the future, you will play two teams from each of the four levels (including yours).
Thanks.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I was surprised when I played Football Manager and this came up, think it’s worth giving a try as there have just been too many irrelevant group stage games in the current format.
If the teams finishing between 9th and 24th will qualify for the playoffs, surely that increases the likelihood of more irrelevant games for those who are sat comfortably between 13th and 20th with a few games spare?

Pintu

If the teams finishing between 9th and 24th will qualify for the playoffs, surely that increases the likelihood of more irrelevant games for those who are sat comfortably between 13th and 20th with a few games spare?
If they make the playoff a one leg that the seeded team (ranked 9th to 16 th) gets to play at home, maybe that makes it quite competitive.

NLunited

To me this looks like an improvement. Sporting merit has become a bit more important, instead of less important as was previously under discussion.

The super league attempt was a blessing in disguise.

How the ‚group‘ stage is going to work out remains to be seen.

More games is bad, the calendar for top teams us too full.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
It's a bit confusing, but then I'm easily confused.

Not a fan of more games.

Would have been nice if the extra places went to lower ranked countries but I believe that's not the case? Premier League getting 5 spots for example.

Somewhat novel that you get to see your team play against a different opponent every match, that's good in a way. If you've already beaten a team 3-0 away are you that excited about the home game in the group stage currently? The downside for the smaller clubs is that they won't get to play you at home if they get you away. They will get different big clubs at home though.

padr81

Supports
Man City
To me this looks like an improvement. Sporting merit has become a bit more important, instead of less important as was previously under discussion.

The super league attempt was a blessing in disguise.

How the ‚group‘ stage is going to work out remains to be seen.

Looks like two games less to play during the ‚group‘ stage. That is also a positive.
Its an extra 2 games minimum. Teams play 8 now and a potential extra 2 in the ko's. So for some its an extra 4 games (teams finishing 9-24th).

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
You’d want to make it to top 8 though to avoid having to play an extra tie. This approach should actually be favored over resting your players.
It will certainly favor the usual suspects.

padr81

Supports
Man City
It will certainly favor the usual suspects.
Absolutely, more games added the less likely the big guns miss out.
Very likely the only way it works for smaller clubs is a guarantee'd extra home game for income and gate receipts and maybe a last 24 ko match.

Sarni

Like United, this season?
We actually have a pretty large squad, we just don’t use it.

What we definitely do have as well is resources to build a 25-man roster of players capable of playing in all competitions.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It doesn't matter because under Dim RAT I'mgoingtodriveunitedoffaCliffe, we won't be playing in the champions league. Qatari Liverpool and Abu Dhabi Manchester City will be playing in the final every season with their 60 man squad of world class talent.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Is this just a champions league thing? Is the Europa still the same? From what I’ve just read it’s 4 matches at home and 4 away instead of the 6 that usually get played. That’s 2 more games in what’s already a busy season for the top teams.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Wait? so it's like the NFL - you don't all pay the same teams. Ludicrous. only the brain dead fruit loops at EUFA could dream this up

Pintu

Absolutely, more games added the less likely the big guns miss out.
Exactly… Barcelona missed the Ro16 twice because they had Bayern and another strong (relative to pot 3) team in the group both times and it became death battle with the other team (Benfica last year and Inter this year)… This can’t be the case with the new format.

If you are like Barça and in pot 2 you’ll have maximum 1 game against the strongest side of pot 3 (supposedly Inter). And your overall performance will be measured against the entire CL, not against one single group. So you don’t need to outperform that strong side from pot 3 in a 6 games group. You only need to outperform enough teams from the entire competition.. This will inevitably make Bruges much less likely to make R’16 and Barça much more likely to make it..

dove

I think it's fine. Group stages have been boring for years now, surely the new format cannot be worse.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Will teams be dropping down from one competition to the other or does this put an end to it?

Is this just a champions league thing? Is the Europa still the same? From what I’ve just read it’s 4 matches at home and 4 away instead of the 6 that usually get played. That’s 2 more games in what’s already a busy season for the top teams.
Same format for Europa, 8 games in the league stage.

Conference League is doing it too, but they will only play 6.

Sarni

That's your take, is it?
Yeah, it’s not really a huge task to build a reliable squad when you have resources of a top Premier League player. We arguably already have 20-22 solid players who can give us minutes, plus some young ones coming up.

NLunited

Yeah, it’s not really a huge task to build a reliable squad when you have resources of a top Premier League player. We arguably already have 20-22 solid players who can give us minutes, plus some young ones coming up.
And when they don‘t perform, more pissing and moaning in the match and manager threads. Building a competitive 22 man roster is not so easy.