New Copa del Rey Format

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I do not like that it's just a match and in the stadium of the smaller team.
It favors surprises, but the competition should be based on who is the best (even if it is always the same team) on equal terms.
I would have preferred another way to revitalize it, like a final four in a different city each year, for example

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
2 legs in every round was a ridiculous and tedious format, so it’s positive news that the rounds before the semis will be played over one leg instead, to make things more exciting.

I’m not sure if I agree with expanding the Spanish Super Cup to 4 teams, and allowing them to enter the Copa Del Rey later though.

Cal?

CR7 fan
How do they decide on which is the "smaller club"? :confused:

Should just go the FA cup route with random draws to ensure fairness.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Imagine Barca v Real before the semis.

Good luck telling either they're the smaller team :lol:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It’s similar in Germany, isn’t it? They always seem to play at the grounds of unknown teams.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

It’s probably going to be based on standings from the previous season.

Smudge

Assuming teams in the same division will be drawn home or away rather than determining who is the ‘smaller team’

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It’s funny how La Liga has the top players in the world, albeit always concentrated in two clubs; yet they continue to struggle for global appeal. People will watch Barca and Madrid all day long. But don’t give two hoots about the rest of the league or cups in that country. Hence the appalling league game in Miami idea, and now this.

The premier league has been absolutely masterful in marketing itself. Even when half the teams are really, really shite.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m guessing in the current format, the smaller teams don’t share gate receipts like they do in the English FA Cup, otherwise it will be a terrible loss for them.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Good idea with dropping the two legged shit, not a fan of the 'the smaller team' stuff though.
Why?

If the FA were smart, they would seed the FA Cup and ensure that the Premier League teams cannot go up against one another when they enter the FA Cup and all games in that round are played away from home. The Premier League generates enough money for the clubs, but for some of the smaller clubs that make it to that third round, its a massive incentive and boost for them.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Why?

If the FA were smart, they would seed the FA Cup and ensure that the Premier League teams cannot go up against one another when they enter the FA Cup and all games in that round are played away from home. The Premier League generates enough money for the clubs, but for some of the smaller clubs that make it to that third round, its a massive incentive and boost for them.
It favors surprises, but the competition should be based on who is the best (even if it is always the same team) on equal terms.
I would have preferred another way to revitalize it, like a final four in a different city each year, for example
Carvajal put it perfectly.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
That's what the league is for. Cups live for the randomness factors.

It’s similar in Germany, isn’t it? They always seem to play at the grounds of unknown teams.
In Germany, if teams from the third division or lower have always home advantage. I think this was mostly done to maximize the amateurs earnings from the tie (playing at home generates more income), teams are generally happy with the rule. I think they should even extend it so that second division teams also have home advantage when facing first division teams.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Agreed. Stadiums should be decided by draw.

This way, you remove the chance for the cultural leonesa to get their big day at the bernabeu

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
They should do the same with the League Cup - games to be played at stadium of the lower division (if same division then whoever is drawn first) and then have a one legged semi-final at a neutral venue.

deadrevelz

Stadium thing is rubbish, should be decided by whoever is drawn first. Just have single ties all the way to the final. Final to be played at neutral venue. Do the same with the FA Cup and League Cup.

I would also stop PL teams from competing in the League Cup in the future.

flappyjay

I was just thinking that:lol:. They should use league position for la Liga teams to save themselves from this scenario

RochaRoja

It’s funny how La Liga has the top players in the world, albeit always concentrated in two clubs; yet they continue to struggle for global appeal. People will watch Barca and Madrid all day long. But don’t give two hoots about the rest of the league or cups in that country. Hence the appalling league game in Miami idea, and now this.

The premier league has been absolutely masterful in marketing itself. Even when half the teams are really, really shite.
Nobody’s actually interested in watching the shite teams in the PL either to be fair.

RochaRoja

Why?

Would obviously be miles better if they did this but “tradition” and “magic” means they never will.

Vadim

When was the last time neither Real Madrid, Barcelona or Atletico won the Copa Del Rey?

Do the small clubs ever win it?

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
When was the last time neither Real Madrid, Barcelona or Atletico won the Copa Del Rey?

Do the small clubs ever win it?
2000s was full of random winners. No-one bar those 3 won it though since Sevilla in 09. This is partly due to the 2 legged ties but also just because Barcelona and Real have comfortably been the best sides in Europe so no real surprise.

Vadim

2000s was full of random winners. No-one bar those 3 won it though since Sevilla in 09. This is partly due to the 2 legged ties but also just because Barcelona and Real have comfortably been the best sides in Europe so no real surprise.
It’s a shame. Football is so fecking predictable in Spain, it’s annoying.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a shame. Football is so fecking predictable in Spain, it’s annoying.
Would be the same in any league that those teams played in though. Look how dominant City are currently and I think Barca are better than them still. The competition in Spain is still strong, Villareal (bar this season), Sevilla and Valencia would all be very strong in England. It is literally just predictable due to how strong the top 3 are, as opposed to the opposition being poor.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Turning the cup games into single fixtures would be a massive improvement. It increases the chances of a shock much more. Although I'm intrigued by this new Super Copa chat, since they already JUST changed it to a single game this season.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Single legged ties is the best thing to happen to this competition. 4 out of 4 upsets this midweek. If they still had two legs throughout then the usual suspects would have been in the semis.

Shame the semis are two legs.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mirandes been wonderful, completly outplayed Sevilla and Villareal on home turf.

Hopefully they get Granada as suspect the two legs against either Basque team would be too much.

Blackwidow

I like the different kind of competition you have with the one legged Cups (without any replays) as in this format the underdogs from the minor leagues might not get far, too - but they usually throw out the one or other team from the bigger leagues in the first or second round.

In Germany the first round is played a week before the Bundesliga start - a big advantage to the lower leagues as their leagues usually start earlier into the season as they have longer winter breaks.

The cup character is really different to league matches and it needs different tactics and mentality.

In Germany the teams usually play with the best teams or do not rotate that much even in the first rounds (it is the last match before league start).

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Mirandes been wonderful, completly outplayed Sevilla and Villareal on home turf.

Hopefully they get Granada as suspect the two legs against either Basque team would be too much.
They are managed by Bilbao former legend Andoni Iraola, and many reports say he is the #1 in the line-up to become next Bilbao manager.

His work at Cyprus was good IMHO, despite being sacked mid-season mainly. He was the first manager ever to qualify AEK Larnaca to the Europa league groups stage, but the excess of games and lack of squad depth took it's toll, because he was sacked due to a string of bad results, since his average PPG was actually a good one for the club standards.

Chief123

Couldn’t find an appropriate thread.

Madrid v Barca 2nd leg semi final should be a good watch tonight! 0-0 from the first leg.