New Jose Interview with Telegraph

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Shaw has proven him wrong if that’s who he is referring to. His injury record isn’t great, but you cannot question his ability or professionalism.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Jose will always rewrite history to suit his own agenda.

He had the same support, the support simply stopped when performances went down the hill and Jose insisted on replacing players he had insisted on signing with even more expensive signings (that were available for feck all a year before when he insisted on Bailly, Lindelof)

VWW

Like how the reporter who interviewed him kept this article for the day after we had a bad day.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
I'd say 'never change, Jose', but there's zero chance of him changing anyway.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Shaw has proven him wrong if that’s who he is referring to. His injury record isn’t great, but you cannot question his ability or professionalism.
Shaws head has gone down when the team doesn't look confident. He's given petulant kicks to bring down players when he can't be bothered to run back, I think in the Liverpool thumping him and Bruno were among the worst.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
There's only Rashford, Martial, mctominay, Shaw, Lindelof and Dalot who played under him. He without a doubt like Dalot and McTominay. Shaw proved him wrong. I always got the impression he liked Rashford and he spoke about Rashford not that negatively in the Rio podcast not long ago. Lindelof he signed and was there for 1 season, nothing wrong with mentality but he just isn't that great.

Martial is the obvious one, he probably is thinking about Shaw but he's wrong about him. But it's irrelevant anyway. Mourinho's problem, like so many other managers, is tactically the game moved on and he couldn't keep up.

Hughes35

Well he 100% didn't want Shaw or Martial so that's pretty obvious.

Say what you like about Jose but he knows what he's talking about when it come to football and being a manager. If he is calling out the club for how they are managed from the top then he's more than likely right.

Andersonson

Has to be Shaw and Martial? They are on huge wages and always buckle under pressure. Can be Rashford too but he was very young at the time

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
Well he 100% didn't want Shaw or Martial so that's pretty obvious.

Say what you like about Jose but he knows what he's talking about when it come to football and being a manager. If he is calling out the club for how they are managed from the top then he's more than likely right.
Jose will say whatever ends up painting Jose in a better light. A bit like Van Gaals list of players he wanted us to sign, which is as fictional as it gets.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Shaws head has gone down when the team doesn't look confident. He's given petulant kicks to bring down players when he can't be bothered to run back, I think in the Liverpool thumping him and Bruno were among the worst.
Agreed. He really isn't that good and his injury record is a shambles

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I mean, he’s not wrong. 50m for Ivan Perisic would probably have been better value as well, compared to 85m for antony.

didz

"My dream job description – because sometimes you have a job title and another thing is the job description – is ‘head coach’,” he says. “That’s my dream. To be the coach. To be the guy who works with the team, focus on developing players, preparing matches.

“Fortunately, I had that in my career. Unfortunately, I had other situations when I had to be much more than that. When you are much more than that you are not as good a coach as you can be. The club puts you in a position where I don’t want to be. Do you think after the Europa League final that we lost, in the circumstances that we lost, I was happy with all the emotion that I felt? Do you think I was happy to be the face of the club that went to the press conference to speak about these events? No, I hated to go.

“If people fear something [about Mourinho], don’t fear. Give me a professional structure where I am only the head coach because this is what I am good at. People say I’m good at communication. Many, many times you say the wrong things. Especially when you communicate three or four times a week. A club’s structure pushes me in the wrong direction.”

I found this bit really interesting as I imagine a lot of coaches feel the same way even though they end up getting criticised for wanting too much control. He's talking about Roma there, but it obviously applies to us as well.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
There's only Rashford, Martial, mctominay, Shaw, Lindelof and Dalot who played under him. He without a doubt like Dalot and McTominay. Shaw proved him wrong. I always got the impression he liked Rashford and he spoke about Rashford not that negatively in the Rio podcast not long ago. Lindelof he signed and was there for 1 season, nothing wrong with mentality but he just isn't that great.

Martial is the obvious one, he probably is thinking about Shaw but he's wrong about him. But it's irrelevant anyway. Mourinho's problem, like so many other managers, is tactically the game moved on and he couldn't keep up.
I think it's fair to say the Rashford Jose got vs the version we have now are two very different players. Jose got the "omg can't believe I have a chance to start for my dream club, need to grab this opportunity with my dear life" Rashford. That couldn't be further away from this current version. Jose would despise this version.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
"My dream job description – because sometimes you have a job title and another thing is the job description – is ‘head coach’,” he says. “That’s my dream. To be the coach. To be the guy who works with the team, focus on developing players, preparing matches.

“Fortunately, I had that in my career. Unfortunately, I had other situations when I had to be much more than that. When you are much more than that you are not as good a coach as you can be. The club puts you in a position where I don’t want to be. Do you think after the Europa League final that we lost, in the circumstances that we lost, I was happy with all the emotion that I felt? Do you think I was happy to be the face of the club that went to the press conference to speak about these events? No, I hated to go.

“If people fear something [about Mourinho], don’t fear. Give me a professional structure where I am only the head coach because this is what I am good at. People say I’m good at communication. Many, many times you say the wrong things. Especially when you communicate three or four times a week. A club’s structure pushes me in the wrong direction.”

I found this bit really interesting as I imagine a lot of coaches feel the same way even though they end up getting criticised for wanting too much control. He's talking about Roma there, but it obviously applies to us as well.
he’s full of shit. He rejected every notion of not being in complete charge of who we signed and sold.

didz

he’s full of shit. He rejected every notion of not being in complete charge of who we signed and sold.
He's a bitter codger who has very much earned his detractors, but it's pretty clear to me that he makes an interesting point there. Every manager we've had has been given 'full control' but I suspect that none of them really wanted it.

Gregawa

The Telegraph need to do their research

Solskjaer finished 2nd in 2020/21

How have they fecked up so bad?
It's in the wording. Solskjaer equalled the second placed achievement, didn't better it.

It's also weird how they use neither to name 3 people. Neither usually refers to just two.

NotChatGPT

Brownfinger
He's a bitter codger who has very much earned his detractors, but it's pretty clear to me that he makes an interesting point there. Every manager we've had has been given 'full control' but I suspect that none of them really wanted it.
Jose has always wanted full control…

SER19

I think Mourinho is always guilty of a bit of revisionism, but there might be an element of truth to some things. For example, Ten Hag was backed to implement his authority and get rid of Ronaldo, remove the captaincy from Maguire, outcast Sancho. Part of the problem is Mourinhos, as his past means there's an air of potential toxicity around him always, but there is definitely no secret that he wanted rid of Martial and Shaw, and Rashford too didnt seem particularly rated by him. Initially we at least an air of authority under him on the pitch, with Ibrahimovic very much being in his mould.

These wouldnt have been revelatory signings but if we're going back to Mourinho's time, lets say the summer of 2017, after his first season. That's almost 7 years ago. It is quite incredible that Martial is still here, and while Shaw is in my opinion a brilliant player, we wouldnt have crumbled without him. The players we were linked with at that time, namely Perisic and Willian:

Perisic went to Inter in summer of 2017. He played 254 games in the next 6 seasons, with Inter, Bayern and Spurs, by which point he was around 33. He also scored 44 goals in that time, played and scored in a world cup final, won 2 domestic leagues and a champions league. He is a consumate professional and a consistent performer, and if I remember rightly almost the entire united fanbase turned their nose up in scorn at the very idea of signing him.

Willian was at Chelsea in summer 2017. He was pretty much ever present, never injured for the next 3 seasons at chelsea, playing 158 times in three seasons (!) and scoring 32. Years later, after a stint in brazil, he still plays PL football week in week out though of course would likely have been moved on from united in that time.

If we compare those 2 players, to shaw and martial in that time - Mourinho is obviously right. There does seem in retrospect to have been a culture under mourinho where he was treated with a certain suspicion, and he should have been backed to bring in these 2 continually fit, experienced model professionals in particular.

SparkedIntoLife

One can see how the club didn't trust his intentions to dispose of certain players when he let Salah and De Bruyne slip through the cracks. History has proven Jose right with Martial and slightly wrong about Shaw I suppose. But history has also proven United right in dispensing with Jose. He's clever at shifting all blame away from himself.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
In almost 200 appearances with Utd, there are some instances where he hasn't been great, and he's had some very bad days. That doesn't reflect his general traits as a player, he's often been a driving force for us and one of our better players, in hard or good times.
Agreed. He really isn't that good and his injury record is a shambles
This is just plain wrong. He's one of the best LBs in the league when he's on form. The issue is obviously the latter part, with his injury record.

Rojofiam

You're correct.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Yeah, perfect summary.

Rojofiam

In almost 200 appearances with Utd, there are some instances where he hasn't been great, and he's had some very bad days. That doesn't reflect his general traits as a player, he's often been a driving force for us and one of our better players, in hard or good times.

This is just plain wrong. He's one of the best LBs in the league when he's on form. The issue is obviously the latter part, with his injury record.
He's the best one on form, probably even in the world. "Really isn't that good" is something you'd hear from someone who's not seen an in-form Shaw actually play.

TsuWave

I hope this doesn’t kick Mourinho revisionism into overdrive

ScholesyTheWise

Revisionist, narcissist, plays not to lose, makes players hate him, beefs with the media.

Yeah yeah he's won some trophies. well done to him and his terrible brand of football.
he's just as shite as Moyes, LVG or anyone who came after himself to date.

He probably has a list of 10 people who are responsible for not being able to elevate Spurs or Roma. Anyone but himself.

Cnut.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Jose loves himself a bit of Jose. Still hasn't had a job since Inter where someone else hasn't come in and immediately done as well or better.

De Rossi is already showing him up at Roma.

pacifictheme

United fans saying Shaw isn't that good is a laughably bad take. He is easily one of our best players and has been for quite a while now but sadly can not stay fit.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Jose loves himself a bit of Jose. Still hasn't had a job since Inter where someone else hasn't come in and immediately done as well or better.

De Rossi is already showing him up at Roma.
One could argue he built the team and then others just needed to guide it correctly.