New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 730 51.7%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 683 48.3%

• Total voters

AFC NimbleThumb

Initially. Please don’t make out that the investment will stop there. It clearly won’t.

Fans need to have some patience and allow ineos to get through the door before declaring them failures.
Anything concrete to back up this initial point or is this just your usual ‘I know better’ rhetoric?

I happen to think more investment will come but right now on paper they are committed to £300mil. There’s nothing concrete to say the further investment you have an inside track on will go on the stadium anyway.

As you says, ‘Fans need to have some patience and allow ineos to get through the door before declaring’ they’re going to be putting in untold fortunes.

Dan_F

Agree with some elements of what you say here.

Despite what the media say though, Old Trafford has one of the better atmospheres in the league. Away fans have a good spot. For all its faults, it is still a decent stadium that has been designed for football fans. It certainly needs a bit of a revamp to be brought into 2023 but nowhere near the levels spoken about on here.

If we moved into some new stadium, locals would be even more priced out and we'd probably move into a soulless three tier bowl that would be designed to suit sponsors.

In addition, what's also interesting is aside from City, who were basically given their ground by the council in 2003, very few English teams have actually improved on the pitch once they have moved grounds. In fact, in most cases, clubs have suffered. It's taken Arsenal the best part of a decade to get close to challenging again. The finances we'd have to commit to a new ground would clearly have a negative impact in the short to medium term.
I agree that the faults are exaggerated. There’s still tickets that are brilliant value compared to other Premier League clubs, and other sports too. Hopefully this would be become even more accessible with more capacity, although I’m not naive, this is a best case scenario. I don’t think the atmosphere is great compared to other stadiums I’ve been at though. Certain nights will still be great for the fans in the stadium, but overall, the acoustics don’t travel well to other parts of the stadium.

New stadiums are never about the short term. Arsenal and Spurs may have struggled in the short term, but I’d argue both are now punching above their weight. Arsenal would never have been competing if they had stayed at Highbury, and Spurs will be reaping the rewards of that stadium for years to come.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Anything concrete to back up this initial point or is this just your usual ‘I know better’ rhetoric?

I happen to think more investment will come but right now on paper they are committed to £300mil. There’s nothing concrete to say the further investment you have an inside track on will go on the stadium anyway.

As you says, ‘Fans need to have some patience and allow ineos to get through the door before declaring’ they’re going to be putting in untold fortunes.
I’m not reading that. Do me a favour and put me on ignore will you?

AFC NimbleThumb

I’m not reading that. Do me a favour and put me on ignore will you?
Don’t believe in it. You can always put me on ignore though.

Me: Where do you get your information from?

Plant: I’m not reading that. * cough * cause I made it up * cough *

Plant0x84

Don’t believe in it. You can always put me on ignore though.

Me: Where do you get your information from?

Plant: I’m not reading that. * cough * cause I made it up * cough *
You may have missed the irony in my response.:wenger:

If you want to discuss the ineos investment, or the stadium revamp/rebuild then go ahead. But, as is your form, you want to get personal and throw insults around jog on because I’m not here for it.

AFC NimbleThumb

Your post I wasn’t reading. . .
Why aggressive/defensive?

There is no narrative, I speak as I find and at the time credible sources were reporting the plan involved a roadmap to a majority and subsequent possibility of 100% and taking the club off the stock exchange. It was reasonable to assume this was the plan given Sir Jim’s desire to buy a majority from the get go. I still hope this is the end goal, although I’m willing to admit it seems a whole lot more sketchy now. We are all just gonna have to suck it and see.

Maybe I got a little carried away, after all we had months of Jassim this and Jassim that and it was only a matter of time. To find out that it was actually Sir Jim getting a deal done was a blessed relief, but generally yeah - don’t hang your hat on what journos looking for clicks are saying. You can consider this example a cautionary tale!! ;)

For what it’s worth, Sir Jim and INEOS have never been a perfect scenario. Even purchasing the Glazers whole 69% and having majority control as per the first bid was fraught with complications and compromises. But I have favoured this bid because I believe it to be the best for the club going forward.

The whole mystique and subterfuge of the Qatar bid was a huge turn off. Just put your cards on the table and play it straight. Are you a front for a state bid or a private citizen? How are you funding the bid? If you want 100% then why won’t you pay the asking price? Why didn’t you turn up in person? Do you understand that it’s the Glazers you have to impress, not the fans? I understood the whole allure of endless cash and glitzy transfers, state of the art stadiums and training centres but at the end of the day their bid was only about money, and without wanting to sound corny United means more to me than that. That’s before we get into the whole state ownership/sportwashing thing that has been done to death. :boring:

If their was a third credible way, which appealed more I would have backed it, indeed if Jassim didn’t seem too good to be true I could have backed him, but in the end it was a straight choice between Qatar and ineos and the rest is history now.

I’ve never claimed to be ITK either, I’m certainly definitely no better informed than any caftard, but I do get my hair off with all the opinion, half truths and lies that gather traction and get banded around as fact which is why Ive banged on in the thread as much as I have. I only ever wanted fellow fans to have correct information to make their judgement on, and if they have a different opinion to me then so be it. I hope you’d agree with the little information and misleading reports we’ve all had to go on in the last 12 months that there has been a fair amount of arse-chat on both sides of the debate.

I too hope this goes well and we start to see attractive winning football because ultimately hope is all we have as fans. I’d like to think now we have an outcome the fan base can unite behind a new way, but I’m not naive or deluded enough to think we actually will.

Merry Christmas to you too mate, I hope you’re having a better day than it seems from the tone of your posts! :devil:
I count 8 paragraphs & a foreword by J.K. Rowling. The irony in your comparison fades completely by the 5th paragraph. Not a chance I’m ready that crap then or now.

I do hope you had a good Christmas though. Feel free to tell us all where you get your United intel from whenever you’re ready.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Your post I wasn’t reading. . .

I count 8 paragraphs & a foreword by J.K. Rowling. The irony in your comparison fades completely by the 5th paragraph. Not a chance I’m ready that crap then or now.

I do hope you had a good Christmas though. Feel free to tell us all where you get your United intel from whenever you’re ready.
I think @Plant0x84 points, as with many of us, is an educated guess. SJR isn’t going to spend this long and be this dedicated to making the club better to *just* put in $300M - he’s clearly going to put in more. Especially because the wording was an “initial” investment of $200m now and $100m later.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
Having spent 10 years refurbishing a 130 year old house, I’d now go for a new build anyday of the week.

AFC NimbleThumb

I think @Plant0x84 points, as with many of us, is an educated guess. SJR isn’t going to spend this long and be this dedicated to making the club better to *just* put in $300M - he’s clearly going to put in more. Especially because the wording was an “initial” investment of $200m now and $100m later.
If you read my initial post I’ve said I think SjR will invest more so that isn’t the point.

What I am saying is we don’t know how much & more importantly where that money will go so to shut down another posters reservations because ‘SjR will invest more’ as if this will definitely go to the stadium is ridiculous.

As you point out we know there will be an “initial” investment of $300mil, so you or Plant have anything concrete to show that further investment will be of similar size &/or for the stadium?

Let’s say this is a long play from the Glazers & SjR isn’t going to grow what will become 29%ish, will he invest similarly? The premise of the ‘SjR will invest’ argument your making only looks at it if things go to plan. Knowing the Glazers, SjR isn’t going to get the club easily even at this point.

Mainoonited

Idk if Its possible to develop the existing stadium to modern standards. I'd say knock it down and build a modern stadium in the same place.

Maybe buy the warehouses across the road and encompass that land into a stadium complex.

astracrazy

Team of experts will always say need a new stadium haha if you asked a builder should
i get you to fix up my house and extend it or do you think I shud pay you to build a new one and pay you to demolish and tidy up the old site etc what do you think these ‘experts’ will come up with?!?!
A bit of a childish reply really - which is hardly a suprise seeing your other posts.

Do you even know what you are talking about? You realise in the real world thats not how things work? :lol:

Last edited:

Plant0x84

Ratcliffe will pledge an initial $300m towards club infrastructure. This will come from his personal funds and, if all goes to plan, be injected between now and the end of the year.
But this number is only the start of long-term pledged investment from INEOS. The group are well aware they need far more than $300m to improve Carrington, renovate Old Trafford, grow the Academy and help fund the men’s and women’s teams.
It’s understandable, with an initial 25%, that Ratcliffe would stagger his pledged investment. But there remains a commitment to $2bn on top of the $1.7bn paid for the shares. This is consistent, and even slightly higher than, Ratcliffe’s pledged investment for Chelsea when he made a late move to try and buy the club in May 2022.
The number has been calculated during due diligence, including a day-long meeting of presentations in Manchester in March. Ratcliffe attended in person believing it was important for relationships. It’s also why he’s been directly engaged throughout the process – something that’s typical in all his major business deals.
@AFC NimbleThumb from OneFootball / CaughtOffside.
Im sure there was a Ben Jacobs tweet along these lines too. I specifically remember somebody stating that INEOS were happy/planned to match Jassims pledge to invest in OT and surrounding area but did not see it as necessary to mention it during the bidding rounds.
I know you struggle with reading and comprehension so I’ve highlighted the key parts for you.

Loon

:lol:
That architect suggesting it would be cheaper to spend £2B on a new stadium within the land owned by United rather than upgrading OT.

Guess he knows more than I do, but it doesn’t sound right

Oscar Bonavena

I guess it's one of those head versus heart decisions. No "right" or "wrong" answer, just differences of opinion. I hate the idea of United not playing in OT anymore but at the same time I'd love United to have a modern state of the art stadium.

If a brand new stadium could be built on the site of the current OT, and the name retained, that would be the best of both worlds.

Out of interest, where would we play if OT was knocked down, the council house?

Loon

It is estimated that redevelopment and expansion of Old Trafford in its current form would cost upwards of £800 million and has been cited internally as an eight-year project. A new stadium could cost as much as £2 billion.

So basically near enough half the outlay for a redevelopment to a new stadium. Makes more financial sense to build a new one for the amount you spend on redevelopment.
Bloody hell, that report on the old lady is even worse than I imagined, even as someone who has been there recently I never noticed how bad it was.

stubie

A revamp just puts back 10 years on the inevitable

Just bite the bullet spend 2 billion on a new stadium, saddens me we have wasted half that amount of poor recruitment the last 10 years!

Coops73

If that quote from the CEO of Populous is correct then from a financial point of view it seems a new ground and facilities would be more cost effective in the long run.

I would rather something like what Real has done to the Bernabeau, looks amazing but I think if you’re looking at spending 800mill now on a renovation that’s taking 8 years? that 800 becomes 1-1.3 billion easily. Get a new stadium built on land we own now around the ground, still take a healthy match day revenue until the new build is complete and I think United has that unique opportunity to something really different and groundbreaking with the land around Old Trafford.

Loon

I’ve changed my vote. Perhaps it is time to see OT join the likes of legendary grounds such as Highbury and pass into history. OT would always remain part of the magnificent story of our club and I’m sure the people in charge would ensure the history and foundations (and perhaps construction) of the new stadium would respect and reflect Old Trafford in some part. I fully expect there to be a Bobby Charlton and Alex Ferguson stand and perhaps a new Matt Busby one too (obvs MBW is still outside).

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

That architect suggesting it would be cheaper to spend £2B on a new stadium within the land owned by United rather than upgrading OT.

Guess he knows more than I do, but it doesn’t sound right
Personally, I have learned to not trust architects this much since the late Zaha Hadid came up with that weird weird for the new Tokyo Olympic Stadium and then had to see her project binned after only one year because of rising costs. The design by Kengo Kuma that came later is great with a reduced environmental impact, a design built with modular pieces of timber that can be replaced when the timber deteriorates, and no encroachment with the nearby green spaces.

My point is that you have to be very mindful of what an architect wants because his/her desired designs might well be something that does not match what most people can absorb. And besides, the football fan in me has seen how many old stadiums can find ways to stay where they are with timely revamps. Real Madrid ain't leaving the Bernabeu anytime soon, idem for Barcelona with the Nou Camp, idem for Borussia Dortmund with the Westfalenstadion (now called Signal Iduna Park), and lastly you can forget Liverpool leaving Anfield for at least 30 years.

As for Old Trafford, I already made my feelings clear about it. Revamp is the way forward.

Coincidence or not, Arsenal lost its identity completely after they left Highbury. The last thing United needs is to endure the same when there actually ARE ways to revamp the existing structure.

Before anyone gets started on the fact that the railway track is a problem for any revamp of Old Trafford, know the following: 1) the Bernabeu was revamped with an active metro line running right underneath it, 2) the Johan Cruyff Arena was built right over a boulevard (Burgemeester Stramanweg) where cars are still running today, 3) the Vicente Calderón's main stand was built over the M-30 motorway in Madrid, 4) the old Lansdowne Road Stadium in Dublin had a public transit railway running underneath a stand for several years, and so on.

AFC NimbleThumb

I know you struggle with reading and comprehension so I’ve highlighted the key parts for you.
. . .
If you want to discuss the ineos investment, or the stadium revamp/rebuild then go ahead. But, as is your form, you want to get personal and throw insults around jog on because I’m not here for it.
Moving on.

With sources like Caughtoffside, ‘Im sure there was a Ben Jacobs tweet along these lines’ & ‘I specifically remember somebody stating’ I won’t be hanging bunting on the new stadium just yet.

For what it’s worth I think we will get a new/renovated stadium, however it will be funded via a loan per most good business practice. If you think SjR will be spending £2bil out of his/Ineos’ pockets [insert personal insult here].

You’ve been told to jog on multiple times by myself, yet continued to interact. Do better.

Loon

Personally, I have learned to not trust architects this much since the late Zaha Hadid came up with that weird weird for the new Tokyo Olympic Stadium and then had to see her project binned after only one year because of rising costs. The design by Kengo Kuma that came later is great with a reduced environmental impact, a design built with modular pieces of timber that can be replaced when the timber deteriorates, and no encroachment with the nearby green spaces.

My point is that you have to be very mindful of what an architect wants because his/her desired designs might well be something that does not match what most people can absorb. And besides, the football fan in me has seen how many old stadiums can find ways to stay where they are with timely revamps. Real Madrid ain't leaving the Bernabeu anytime soon, idem for Barcelona with the Nou Camp, idem for Borussia Dortmund with the Westfalenstadion (now called Signal Iduna Park), and lastly you can forget Liverpool leaving Anfield for at least 30 years.

As for Old Trafford, I already made my feelings clear about it. Revamp is the way forward.

Coincidence or not, Arsenal lost its identity completely after they left Highbury. The last thing United needs is to endure the same when there actually ARE ways to revamp the existing structure.

Before anyone gets started on the fact that the railway track is a problem for any revamp of Old Trafford, know the following: 1) the Bernabeu was revamped with an active metro line running right underneath it, 2) the Johan Cruyff Arena was built right over a boulevard (Burgemeester Stramanweg) where cars are still running today, 3) the Vicente Calderón's main stand was built over the M-30 motorway in Madrid, 4) the old Lansdowne Road Stadium in Dublin had a public transit railway running underneath a stand for several years, and so on.
Odd way of quoting me, fella, but fair enough.

JediSith

Ratcliffe had a Put Call option to buy the club in 3 years. Anyone who disagrees knows nothing. ;)

AFC NimbleThumb

Ratcliffe had a Put Call option to buy the club in 3 years. Anyone who disagrees knows nothing. ;)
A call option is a contract between a buyer and a seller to purchase a certain stock at a certain price up until a defined expiration date. The buyer of a call has the right, not the obligation, to exercise the call and purchase the stocks.

Did you read the part of my post where I said I believe more investment is coming or have you just heard the term Call Option for the first time in the last 72 hours & started throwing it into conversations?

Where did I disagree with the Call Option? That’s right I didn’t but we’d yourself to an SjR narrative that means any questioning of this deal means you throw around terms that aren’t being discussed & you’ve only just grasped over Christmas dinner.

stevoc

It is estimated that redevelopment and expansion of Old Trafford in its current form would cost upwards of £800 million and has been cited internally as an eight-year project. A new stadium could cost as much as £2 billion.

So basically near enough half the outlay for a redevelopment to a new stadium. Makes more financial sense to build a new one for the amount you spend on redevelopment.
I suspect that's the option they'll go for if bringing the stadium up to date and expanding it will cost less than half of a new build.

“The building is reaching the end of its natural life - the cabling, electricity supplies, everything is nearing its sell by date
It's such a pity that buildings cannot be rewired and new mains supplies ran in. Seen it a thousand times where we've had to tell people, ''Sorry mate/love your wirings past it's use by date and not up to scratch so you'll just have to get your house demolished and build a new one.''

Spoony

The People's President
I suspect that's the option they'll go for if bringing the stadium up to date and expanding it will cost less than half of a new build.

It's such a pity that buildings cannot be rewired and new mains supplies ran in. Seen it a thousand times where we've had to tell people, ''Sorry mate/love your wirings past it's use by date and not up to scratch so you'll just have to get your house demolished and build a new one.''

They clearly are putting pressure on United to build a new stadium. I don't see the issue with knocking OT down stand by stand and rebuilding it.

stevoc

Having spent 10 years refurbishing a 130 year old house, I’d now go for a new build anyday of the week.
I've done two now, helped my brother with his Victorian renovation which took 2 years, complete gutting. And I've nearly finished my own house which is from the 50's also about 2 years. I also regularly work on Victorian renovations for a living, and to be honest they're an absolute ball ache, they take longer than everyone estimates and they cost more than people imagine.

But in the end when done right they're infinitely better than the vast majority of new builds I've seen.

stevoc

They clearly are putting pressure on United to build a new stadium. I don't see the issue with knocking OT down stand by stand and rebuilding it.
Question is why though?

If they were knocking OT down stand by stand they may as well move it away from the tracks while they are at it. But once you get to that stage it wouldn't be the same stadium so you might as well just move somewhere else with better infrastructure around the stadium and no railroads/freight terminal adjacent.

stevoc

Just adds a physical representation to the fallen empire narrative they know sells stories.
True they've been dining out on that one for years now, like the other week ''Breaking News! - Small bits of concrete fall from ceiling at Old Trafford''.

I doubt they actually care if Jimbo demolishes OT or not though.

Spoony

The People's President
Question is why though?

If they were knocking OT down stand by stand they may as well move it away from the tracks while they are at it. But once you get to that stage it wouldn't be the same stadium so you might as well just move somewhere else with better infrastructure around the stadium and no railroads/freight terminal adjacent.

It's not been the same stadium since the early 1900s. Its not the stadium I first watched a game at. We shouldn't stop improvements.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
I know building over the train line isn't such an issue these days but isn't part of the problem the houses facing the South stand?

Not just their proximity causing problems but also I'm sure we'd be facing objections from the owners during the planning stage. I doubt many would want that structure to be any bigger than it already is.