New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 670 49.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 673 50.1%

• Total voters

stevoc

Admittedly, I am not an engineer but I don't think you would need the whole area of the terminal. Between W3 and W2, some of the freight terminal and the United road area, you probably have to mainly destroy buildings in the terminal rather than the lines. You could even switch some warehousing to W3 if there's space.

If you build horizontal to the canal, and use the most modern techniques, you should be able to build a new stadium. Admittedly it won't look anything like Old Trafford does now, probably have to go for the generic domed egg to maximise the space.

Even if the Stretford End needed to be demolished, it's not unprecedented. As you know, it was unavailable during the early 90s during the last major development. The other three stands could continue to be used until the new stadium is complete.

I think the only alternative would be to find a solution that effectively involves 'lifting' Old Trafford and moving it away from the railway line. I think any idea of building over the railway line is far fetched.
This is basically what the club would be working with here. Though they own the freight terminal there's probably a long lease on it and it's not something that could be easily relocated.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This is basically what the club would be working with here. Though they own the freight terminal there's probably a long lease on it and it's not something that could be easily relocated.

I didn't think about the lease issue. I guess they'd have to buy that out to make this work. I am guessing that's part of the £2bn estimate that's been floated for the new stadium.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Old Trafford is historic. Everything the ground has been through, the teams and players it's been home to, and everything that goes with it, it's where United belong. Rebuild it, should absolutely not be a new stadium.

decorativeed

Old Trafford is historic. Everything the ground has been through, the teams and players it's been home to, and everything that goes with it, it's where United belong. Rebuild it, should absolutely not be a new stadium.
What would rebuilding it in the same location acheive? The whole reason we're talking about it is because that site has reached the maximum capacity for its footprint and it was designed with much less space per person than modern grounds. So we could spend billions on making a new stadium in the same place that would hold fewer people. How many businesses do you see doing that?

stevoc

I didn't think about the lease issue. I guess they'd have to buy that out to make this work. I am guessing that's part of the £2bn estimate that's been floated for the new stadium.
If that's even possible in the contract as I said there's not many places that freight terminal could move to.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What would rebuilding it in the same location acheive? The whole reason we're talking about it is because that site has reached the maximum capacity for its footprint and it was designed with much less space per person than modern grounds. So we could spend billions on making a new stadium in the same place that would hold fewer people. How many businesses do you see doing that?
Why would it need to be on the exact same space? Spurs didn't do that, moved over slightly where there was more room and built from there. Is there seriously no way the ground couldn't be moved and build a modern version of Old Trafford? I simply don't want us going down the route most other clubs are, with big new grounds that are just soulless places. I'd far rather keep the aesthetic of Old Trafford with everything attached to it.

JPB

Spoken like a true sheikh supporter. I bet you're one of them who wanted a Sugar Daddy right? Sure just throw all history and everything else out of the window and become a soulless piece of shit oil club.

Pscholes18

I know it's not in Rattys plans, but if a new stadium were to be built, what features/fluff would yoy like to see?

decorativeed

Spoken like a true sheikh supporter. I bet you're one of them who wanted a Sugar Daddy right? Sure just throw all history and everything else out of the window and become a soulless piece of shit oil club.
How did you infer that from a post about the capacity of a stadium? I'm not even saying I'm in favour of a new stadium, just discussing the actual physical properties of a given space.

Very weird post. A real waste of your handful. I'm very much anti-oligarch involvement in football and pro fan ownership, by the way. Not that it matters, or is ever going to happen, sadly. We're way past the point of no return on that.

decorativeed

Why would it need to be on the exact same space? Spurs didn't do that, moved over slightly where there was more room and built from there. Is there seriously no way the ground couldn't be moved and build a modern version of Old Trafford? I simply don't want us going down the route most other clubs are, with big new grounds that are just soulless places. I'd far rather keep the aesthetic of Old Trafford with everything attached to it.
Rebuilding by the very nature of the word means it would have the be on the same space. Anything other than that is a new stadium.

next_number_seven

An option but you have to remember United just don't have the owners or the money to build the best stadium in the world. And even if you did 15-20 years down the line it will become dated anyway and need redeveloped. With where the club is right now with the Glazer cnuts still in charge I just don't see a new stadium happening.
If Spurs can do it, then we can. It's just a big loan. We don't need Qatar money.

It won't be dated in 20 years, more like 50.

It's shitty that Everton will have a better stadium than us. No disrespect to Everton but we're much bigger and our stadium should reflect that.

I'm happy with the alternative of just incremental improvements also but the South Stand and railway line will always be a problem.

Todd

There aren't many iconic football stadiums left, so losing one of the most famous would be a damn shame. It'd be like the Cubs tearing down Wrigley or the Red Sox tearing down Fenway.

stevoc

If Spurs can do it, then we can. It's just a big loan. We don't need Qatar money.

It won't be dated in 20 years, more like 50.

It's shitty that Everton will have a better stadium than us. No disrespect to Everton but we're much bigger and our stadium should reflect that.

I'm happy with the alternative of just incremental improvements also but the South Stand and railway line will always be a problem.
We have the Glazers and we're already £1 Billion in debt. And at a time when it's a really bad time to borrow. We won't be getting a new stadium plas the guy taking over has said he'd prefer to redevelop OT.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Rebuild the Sir Bobby stand, retain the Munich tunnel but add that second or third tier, space the seats out a bit, give it a class leading concourse and hold it up as a a fitting tribute to the great man. You could even have a statue of Sir Bobby looking down from the roof like the skinny chicken on spurs stadium.
Then redesign the roof and add some screens.

lex talionis

True, which makes it the site of historic events, but not neccessarily a building of historic interest. It's a essentially a bunch of different buildings that has been in constant flux since the 1940s with hardly an original brick to be found.
I’m not opposed to a demo and rebuild, but the structure itself truly is of historic value. Of course in the UK even buildings that are a only a century old are considered pikers but so much lived history was lived in the physical building known as Old Trafford that it seems pedantic to consider it as having little historic value, even if it is true that the current structure bears no resemblance to the original structure.

decorativeed

Rebuild the Sir Bobby stand, retain the Munich tunnel but add that second or third tier, space the seats out a bit, give it a class leading concourse and hold it up as a a fitting tribute to the great man. You could even have a statue of Sir Bobby looking down from the roof like the skinny chicken on spurs stadium.
Then redesign the roof and add some screens.
The trouble with that is the Munich Tunnel is absolutely the worst part of the ground in terms of accessing and exiting on a match day. And adding another tier without simultaneously extending to the south of the stand can't be done to the same extent as the rest of the ground.

bazza3727

As much as we'd all like to see a 100K (or thereabouts) seater stadium, the main stumbling block will be getting planning permission for such an expansion - since the police will have a major say in the process. And they are not happy about parking arrangements at present! Another 10k cars requiring spaces are not likely to be tolerated by residents of the surrounding area, and we're currently talking about a couple of miles around the ground! So unless we can come up with additional parking or alternative travel arrangements, we're screwed.

Oranges038

Juventus did it. But mostly because they couldn't fill the Delli Alpi.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
We would rebuild on the car park but overlap the footprint partially with the existing stadium. Final quadrant would be delivered once old Trafford had been demolished making most efficient use of space whilst minimising down time.

gaffs

The trouble with that is the Munich Tunnel is absolutely the worst part of the ground in terms of accessing and exiting on a match day. And adding another tier without simultaneously extending to the south of the stand can't be done to the same extent as the rest of the ground.
Can the train track issues, as well as the homes in close proximity be overcome?

decorativeed

Can the train track issues, as well as the homes in close proximity be overcome?
I wouldn't have thought so without spending hundreds of millions more. People used to say the club was buying up any houses that became available on Railway Road, but that doesn't appear to be true.

neon_badger

The south stand is the issue, to extend it it's not just the railway lines to build over, you have residential housing to consider, I'm under the impression united bought up lots of the homes parallel to the south stand but I'd imagine some if not most are still privately owned including some new build properties, I'd be interested to see how the club could tackle this, I'd imagine throwing money at people but if one person doesn't want to budge, what happens? then there's all the side streets to factor in and the disruption caused by such a huge amount of building work.

gaffs

I wouldn't have thought so without spending hundreds of millions more. People used to say the club was buying up any houses that became available on Railway Road, but that doesn't appear to be true.
It would seem like a logistical nightmare to build over a railway track and compulsory purchase peoples homes, if that is even possible.

It feels like South stand development is the only thing worth doing. And even then, what is the value in adding a second, or even third tier to the South stand, when the rest of the stadium is old and lacking in facilities and space?

gaffs

The south stand is the issue, to extend it it's not just the railway lines to build over, you have residential housing to consider, I'm under the impression united bought up lots of the homes parallel to the south stand but I'd imagine some if not most are still privately owned including some new build properties, I'd be interested to see how the club could tackle this, I'd imagine throwing money at people but if one person doesn't want to budge, what happens? then there's all the side streets to factor in and the disruption caused by such a huge amount of building work.
You would think they would need to buy both sides of the street. Just doesn't seem worth it when the rest of the stadium is also dated.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
True, which makes it the site of historic events, but not neccessarily a building of historic interest. It's a essentially a bunch of different buildings that has been in constant flux since the 1940s with hardly an original brick to be found.
Triggers broom

Michael T

There aren't many iconic football stadiums left, so losing one of the most famous would be a damn shame. It'd be like the Cubs tearing down Wrigley or the Red Sox tearing down Fenway.
But isn't that like insisting on driving your old rusting Ford Cortina for nostalgia's sake whilst everyone else is upgrading to the latest BMW or Mercedes?

arthurka

Just watching the ladies Derby and the lights and pyro at OT are very impressive. Have we done that kind of thing before?
Life in the old ground yet! Renovation and modernisation is the way forward!
250m only buys paint and plaster.