New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 670 49.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 673 50.1%

• Total voters

stevoc

So they're telling me a very large, relatively old building that is used by tens of thousands of people every week needs regular maintenance?

Shocked I am.

It looked like 2-3 bits of loose concrete.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
So they're telling me a very large, relatively old building that is used by tens of thousands of people every week needs regular maintenance?

Shocked I am.

It looked like 2-3 bits of loose concrete.
Isn’t that the ‘newest’ part of the stadium too, in the Sir Alex/north Stand?!

Leaking roofs and flooded toilets are one thing, an embarrassment and minor inconvenience but crumbling cracking concrete is entirely another. Could be structural, or become structural if not addressed.

Feck the Glazers.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's a moot point.

With a limited infrastructure budget it will be a touchup job of OT for the foreseeable future

stevoc

Isn’t that the ‘newest’ part of the stadium too, in the Sir Alex/north Stand?!

Leaking roofs and flooded toilets are one thing, an embarrassment and minor inconvenience but crumbling cracking concrete is entirely another. Could be structural, or become structural if not addressed.

Feck the Glazers.
It definitely will become structural in 100-200 years if not addressed.

PeteReDevil

iPete
Wanted to see how Midjourney could make an expanded south stand. But seems like it missed the 3rd tiers.
(image not posting, so I'll leave a link)

Dan

Wanted to see how Midjourney could make an expanded south stand. But seems like it missed the 3rd tiers.
(image not posting, so I'll leave a link)
Some of the AI versions i’ve seen are crazy.

Maticmaker

With a railway line on the south side (with only pedestrian access /egress via bridge) and a canal on the north side, (with vehicular and pedestrian access and egress over the same route) and surrounding roads which are unable to handle the level of vehicles, buses, coaches, and private cars on match days, it would be unthinkable to build a new stadium on the present OT site.

So, it's either make the current OT stadium 'fit for purpose', with better seating, lines of sight, and upgrading of convenience facilities, or build a new state of the art stadium elsewhere.

Since neither will get done soon, it doesn't matter what the fans think!

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
With a railway line on the south side (with only pedestrian access /egress via bridge) and a canal on the north side, (with vehicular and pedestrian access and egress over the same route) and surrounding roads which are unable to handle the level of vehicles, buses, coaches, and private cars on match days, it would be unthinkable to build a new stadium on the present OT site.
Would it be possible for United to do underground parking?

neon_badger

So, it's either make the current OT stadium 'fit for purpose', with better seating, lines of sight, and upgrading of convenience facilities, or build a new state of the art stadium elsewhere.

Since neither will get done soon, it doesn't matter what the fans think!
Better public transport links would be preferable, Manchester is working on this but the metro is still pretty terrible, a big problem with Old Trafford is there's not much in the area post match, (we've had your money, now feck off home) two of the three pubs are grim (tollgate is ok) at full time its a mass exodus, a new stadium development would perhaps offer some options to stick around (or arrive early) and ease the traffic. It's all down to the owners poor vision, they're like slum landlords that don't care about the property as long as the rent is paid on time. hopefully Ratcliffe/ Ineos has more pride in the place.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Nope - they had to raise the pitch to get the undersoil heating sorted, I assume the water table is too high for anymore than 1 or 2 levels

Maticmaker

The railway line would say feck off I was here first
So would the canal, it was built to service what was then the emerging Trafford Industrial Park complex.

Suppose they thought if the workers in Trafford Park were working Saturday morning overtime, (at time and half rates!) they could go straight to the match and buy their pie for lunch...of course only the Directors had cars.... :lol:

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Why would it need to be on the exact same space? Spurs didn't do that, moved over slightly where there was more room and built from there. Is there seriously no way the ground couldn't be moved and build a modern version of Old Trafford? I simply don't want us going down the route most other clubs are, with big new grounds that are just soulless places. I'd far rather keep the aesthetic of Old Trafford with everything attached to it.
You realise that a) Moving it would be a brand new stadium and b) Spurs counts as a big new soulless ground?

The question is silly cause if we knock all four stands down and rebuild it’s a new stadium and we’re not gonna rebuild in the exact same spot cause that would be redundant so it’s a new stadium again.

It’s either keep OT exactly as is because we’ve hit the limits of the current building or we build a new stadium.

Last edited:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
So would the canal, it was built to service what was then the emerging Trafford Industrial Park complex.

Suppose they thought if the workers in Trafford Park were working Saturday morning overtime, (at time and half rates!) they could go straight to the match and buy their pie for lunch...of course only the Directors had cars.... :lol:
I'm sure the workers drove the Model T's from the production line to the match in 1913, just taking it for a test drive they were telling the foreman

justsomebloke

This is just innate attachment to familiar and meaningful things speaking, but I'm all for revamp. Would hate to no longer have Manchester United playing at Old Trafford.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
This is just innate attachment to familiar and meaningful things speaking, but I'm all for revamp. Would hate to no longer have Manchester United playing at Old Trafford.
There's nothing wrong with that. Tradition and history is everything.

Old Trafford is generally fine. The location is ideal.

It needs amends sure but I've never liked the modern "bowls" that have become so common since the mid 00's.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I voted refurbish.

Where would the new stadium likely be if we did build new?
Where the Old Trafford car park is now.
The problem with that is the area isn't big enough you would likely have to demolish half of the current stadium to do the work, meaning at the very least you would be looking at 1-2 season where your unable to play at old Trafford. So where do we play our home games in the mean time?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
It looks like the architects brought it for the job are recomending a new stadium

Honestly not surprised one bit if that is true. Reading the article its clear they are looking at this from multiple angles and basically saying United can continue to collect full match day revenue at the existing ground while a new one is being built - as well as using the ground for potential other revenue generating ticket items - makes sense. I just hope that if that is the route it will go - that they come up with a design that is a lot more unique than 9/10 other new grounds. No sterile Arse/City/Spurs approach please. And also that they re use more of the old ground than just a silly bird or clock like Arse and Spurs.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
300Million Ratcliffe is investing are clearly not enough to build a new one, so decision has been made - fixing the existing one it is

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
300Million Ratcliffe is investing are clearly not enough to build a new one, so decision has been made - fixing the existing one it is
Good. We don't need a new ground.

All a new ground would mean is even more inflated ticket prices like Spurs and Arsenal or a complete soulless dump like West Ham.

History and tradition are things that should still be respected.

Marcelinho87

Those who so casually wanna tear down old Trafford, I don’t get it.

I’d rather revamp all day every day than even think of demolishing such an iconic footballing ground.

I don’t want another soulless fishbowl of a stadium.

Red00012

Glazers will not be investing in a new stadium and Jim has promised 300 million not a few billion to build a new stadium.

SAF is the GOAT

Glazers will not be investing in a new stadium and Jim has promised 300 million not a few billion to build a new stadium.
Jean Claude Blanc could easily bring in some sponsorship to finance it and give the new stadium's rights name as he did with Juventus stadium.

Cole9

Those who so casually wanna tear down old Trafford, I don’t get it.

I’d rather revamp all day every day than even think of demolishing such an iconic footballing ground.

I don’t want another soulless fishbowl of a stadium.
Same here. Currently I don’t see how we can afford either anyway!

I’d love it if we could revamp it. The Bernabeu looks awesome after its revamp. That cost about 900m Euros apparently. Of course, if we wanted to expand it too, there are lots of challenges that could make that too difficult.

I just hope we don’t end up with something like The Emirates.

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
Same here. Currently I don’t see how we can afford either anyway!

I’d love it if we could revamp it. The Bernabeu looks awesome after its revamp. That cost about 900m Euros apparently. Of course, if we wanted to expand it too, there are lots of challenges that could make that too difficult.

I just hope we don’t end up with something like The Emirates.
The Bernabeu was budgeted at €575M. It then went up €225M to add the retractable floor. At Real Madrid's annual meeting it was announced that, for the time being, expenses had been €893M, €93M more due to cost overruns. And a little over a month ago, at this year's assembly, Florentino announced that he was going to ask for a loan of €370M to finish the stadium.
In total €1.263M.

The stadium inside is wonderful. On the outside, on the other hand, it is receiving a lot of criticism. Even media close to Real Madrid revealed strong arguments between Florentino Perez and the architects/construction company.

https://x.com/gafeblanco/status/1702353947950821579?s=20

Project vs. Reality

Mainoldo

The Bernabeu was budgeted at €575M. It then went up €225M to add the retractable floor. At Real Madrid's annual meeting it was announced that, for the time being, expenses had been €893M, €93M more due to cost overruns. And a little over a month ago, at this year's assembly, Florentino announced that he was going to ask for a loan of €370M to finish the stadium.
In total €1.263M.

The stadium inside is wonderful. On the outside, on the other hand, it is receiving a lot of criticism. Even media close to Real Madrid revealed strong arguments between Florentino Perez and the architects/construction company.

https://x.com/gafeblanco/status/1702353947950821579?s=20

Project vs. Reality
You just put a mortgage on the restructuring or new funding and sponsorship for a new stadium. Maybe Qatar can back up all their talk and give us some funding through sponsorship.

neon_badger

New stadium as big as the current stadium with a stadium smaller than the pitch of current stadium next to it.
How about a new stadium behind the current one, the land owned by United goes far back and is essentially part of the industrial estate so would be easier to build as it's less residential and supplied by roads that currently are used by hgv's etc, then keep the old stadium as a museum/hotel/event venue/ concert venue we get to keep and enjoy our history whilst playing in a state of the art stadium, I guess it's all about money would the cost of keeping two stadiums running be too high? Would the profits made by stadium A reduce the profits from stadium B?

Don_Johan14

Supports
F.C.Barcelona
You just put a mortgage on the restructuring or new funding and sponsorship for a new stadium. Maybe Qatar can back up all their talk and give us some funding through sponsorship.
Barcelona, for example, put the mortgage on the new income from the stadium.

Manchester United's problem, in my opinion, is the high debt they have right now, in addition to having been making losses in recent quarters. First the club must return to economic equilibrium, and then we will see how the stadium can be financed.