New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 670 49.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 673 50.1%

• Total voters

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
New Wembley is not even 20 years old yet...

I'm still concerned that the people in charge will go down the route of designing a stadium that might be aesthetically pleasing but won't be built with matchgoing fans in mind.

Also, given that any "new" stadium is expected to cost around a billion pounds, it will be again matchgoing fans that pay the price.

What's the point in a new stadium if it simply becomes a magnet for sponsors and execs and nobody local can afford to go (even more so than now...)
It doesn't have to be that way, Spurs look to have done it right from the videos I've seen, it looks pretty impressive

Demon Barber

I was in the scoreboard end before it had a roof. Old Trafford is Old Trafford. Do one.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I'm guessing most of them? Governments don't fund stadium refurbs do they?

I don't mean literally with their own cash, they use loans etc.

But taxpayers funding Old Trafford? That shouldn't be a thing.
I see you aren't familiar with America, where that is exactly what they do here. Literally billions being funneled to developers of stadiums on an annual basis. Don't become like us.

diarm

I only want a new stadium if it’s something unique. It needs to encapture some of what Old Trafford was, as well as the traditional architecture of Manchester, while obviously being beyond state of the art.

If the choice is between something like Spurs or Arsenal have and renovating/redeveloping OT then I’d prefer the latter to be honest.

Toblerone92

If a renovation on par with Madrid’s was possible then I would be all for it, but it’s not, so we should be going with the next best thing which is a new build, and the biggest club capacity in the world with facilities to match.

Phil

I think it has to be new. Retain parts of OT, style it similarly or do what you have to do but I think a refurb would be too big of a task

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I'm guessing most of them? Governments don't fund stadium refurbs do they?

I don't mean literally with their own cash, they use loans etc.

But taxpayers funding Old Trafford? That shouldn't be a thing.
In the past they did. But not in more recent times.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...3/liverpool-hillsborough-disaster-anniversary

That changed with Taylor's report, with all teams in the top two divisions required to convert to all-seat stadiums and given £31m a year of public money to do so through the levy on the pools that was channelled into the Football Trust.

davidmichael

Naming rights deal would be a massive help towards paying for a new stadium, can very easily see The Ineos Arena as a thing with Ineos paying £1 billion to promote their brand to the sports world properly.

WirralRed

Always thought I was against a new stadium but I must admit I got excited at the news today. It would be great to be going to a brand new state of the art stadium if done right.

IrishRedDevil

Watch the video of the Bernabeu construction and it’s instant excitement at the thought of a new stadium.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Its funny that a stadium that was built a year later than it was supposed to and came in miles over budget is an appropriate symbol. Or maybe, given the last 19 years since the Glazers came in, it's the perfect comparison.
Again not the point. Keep ranting, though.

WirralRed

Watch the video of the Bernabeu construction and it’s instant excitement at the thought of a new stadium.
Yeah that looks pretty special. I’m going to Madrid later in the year so I will have to check it out.

stevoc

Sir Jim absolutely needs to build a new ground. Every single stand of the current Old Trafford has been rebuilt hasn't it? Its not the same stadium as it was in the early 90s. Start over and build something cutting edge that will last us for the next few decades.
No I believe only the Stretford End was demolished in 1992 and the North Stand in 1995. Much of the lower tier of the East Stand is older than that and parts of the South Stand are original from when the stadium was first built in 1910, the Munich Tunnel survived the bombing during WW2 which destroyed a lot of the stadium.

If we're building a new stadium then we should just build it somewhere else and name it something else. Either on the land next to OT or elsewhere. Renovate and repurpose the current OT, retaining the historical parts as a Museum/Youth Stadium/Fan Zone etc.

stevoc

Don't like Wembley but its almost what? 30 years old? Anyway I suspect it's not a literal thing. More like OT will be the cock of the North. Although I suspect we'll have the best stadium in the world. (And yeah Southerners can do one! Cock of the school and all that...)
The opening game was 2007, United vs Chelsea FA Cup Final.

Revaulx

I am guessing here that newer fans, and those who have never been to Old Trafford, are supporting the new build? Well sod that. Old Trafford is where we grew up. It is our home and should remain so.
Old Trafford has been rebuilt twice since I started going to games in 1970, so it doesn’t bother me if I see it get rebuilt a third time.

Dies that make me a “newer fan”?

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
I have got to say I was always more of a rebuild OT guy, but I was watching Sam People's show where he overlaid a new stadium build right beside OT on that fairly clear area beside where the car parks are. It makes a lot of sense, especially if the club can keep selling out the existing stadium during building the new one.

stevoc

Naming rights deal would be a massive help towards paying for a new stadium, can very easily see The Ineos Arena as a thing with Ineos paying £1 billion to promote their brand to the sports world properly.
Yep any new stadium would never be Old Trafford anyway so might as well make some money off naming it.

stevoc

Old Trafford has been rebuilt twice since I started going to games in 1970, so it doesn’t bother me if I see it get rebuilt a third time.

Dies that make me a “newer fan”?
Which years was it rebuilt?

Revaulx

No I believe only the Stretford End was demolished in 1992 and the North Stand in 1995. Much of the lower tier of the East Stand is older than that and parts of the South Stand are original from when the stadium was first built in 1910, the Munich Tunnel survived the bombing during WW2 which destroyed a lot of the stadium.

If we're building a new stadium then we should just build it somewhere else and name it something else. Either on the land next to OT or elsewhere. Renovate and repurpose the current OT, retaining the historical parts as a Museum/Youth Stadium/Fan Zone etc.
The Scoreboard End / East Stand was completely rebuilt about a year before we got relegated, so probably 1973. Somewhere there’s a photo of a 16 year old me pointing at the hole in the ground :)

Revaulx

Which years was it rebuilt?
A pretty much continuous process from 1965 to the mid-2000s. The Scoreboard End (now East Stand) was still unroofed terracing when I started going; it was completely rebuilt in 1973 and again in 2000. The rest of the ground underwent a similar transformation at different times.

Because the rebuilds have all been done gradually, it’s never felt like a totally new ground. Which is nice.

sparx99

I’ve always generally lent towards a new build for a variety of reasons.

1. We can build adjacent to the current stadium meaning no loss in revenue during the build or rent paid to City or the Manchester council.

2. You could keep the South stand and Munich tunnel as a one stand Reserve/Womens stadium. The East/West and North stands are so new anyway that retains the history and the original pitch.

3. A new stadium would have a better atmosphere, bigger capacity, more opportunity to be earn additional revenue, better facilities for both players and guests, better legroom. Renovating doesn’t solve all of the issues with Old Trafford.

4. A lot of cost that gets thrown in with other builds is the land cost. We’ve already got ahead of that so should save us some money. We also don’t have to face London land prices.

5. Naming rights. While I don’t love the idea of naming the stadium it is less annoying on a new stadium. If the old stadium was retained as a reserve/women’s ground then that could keep the Old Trafford moniker. The new stadium could be the ‘Ineos Theatre of Dreams’ or whatever. Barcelona got $310m for their Spotify deal so it’s not unfeasible we could cover a good chunk of the build by selling the rights.

stevoc

A pretty much continuous process from 1965 to the mid-2000s. The Scoreboard End (now East Stand) was still unroofed terracing when I started going; it was completely rebuilt in 1973 and again in 2000. The rest of the ground underwent a similar transformation at different times.

Because the rebuilds have all been done gradually, it’s never felt like a totally new ground. Which is nice.
It wasn't rebuilt in 1999-2000 though, it was just expanded.

I misinterpreted your post, I thought you were trying to say the stadium has been rebuilt twice since the 70's. The only stands that have been rebuilt since the 70's were the North Stand in 95 and the Stretford end in 92. Though I'm open to being corrected.

stevoc

The Scoreboard End / East Stand was completely rebuilt about a year before we got relegated, so probably 1973. Somewhere there’s a photo of a 16 year old me pointing at the hole in the ground :)
Yes I believe you are correct.

The post I was replying to though was asking it they'd all been rebuilt since the early 90's.

Revaulx

It wasn't rebuilt in 1999-2000 though, it was just expanded.

I misinterpreted your post, I thought you were trying to say the stadium has been rebuilt twice since the 70's. The only stands that have been rebuilt since the 70's were the North Stand in 95 and the Stretford end in 92. Though I'm open to being corrected.
That’s a great photo! I’d forgotten how much of the original 1973 stand had survived; the additions completely transformed its appearance.

RoyH1

I think it has to be new. Retain parts of OT, style it similarly or do what you have to do but I think a refurb would be too big of a task
As far as I can read, the foundations and structure are too old and banged to do a refurb from the outside in like Madrid have done. It will have to be new. But for gods sake don't do one of those generic steel/glass stadiums that everyone does nowadays. Do something with character and that will stand the test of time.

Toblerone92

It’s unlikely we can refurb, but if we can it should be along these lines. A new build must be all of this and more, not a generic, uninspiring Sim City stadium like Emirates/Wembley.

GoldanoGraham

A new stadium would have all the benefits everyone’s already mentioned and the biggest issue is that it will be far less disruptive - we will still have the existing stadium in use while the new one is built. A build from scratch is also normally far easier to achieve than trying to accommodate existing antiquated building structures.

Will be interested to see what the actual cost proposals are as if we already own the land then that is a massive cost saving already.

ROFLUTION

If we do a new one, please take the time and spend the money to make it look unique and like actual art and not a superficial one. We fans have to look at it for the next 100 years.

If you replace something unique, the replacement has to be unique.

Strats

Starting to warm up to the idea of building a new ground, have always felt a resistance to the thought of moving from Old Trafford.

I do hope we keep the stands close to the pitch, just like the stadium Spurs have and unlike the City and Arsenal ones.

When you are watching from the telly, it has always added something extra to see reactions from the fans. Having a fecking mile to the pitch has killed the vibe a bit for me.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Starting to warm up to the idea of building a new ground, have always felt a resistance to the thought of moving from Old Trafford.

I do hope we keep the stands close to the pitch, just like the stadium Spurs have and unlike the City and Arsenal ones.

When you are watching from the telly, it has always added something extra to see reactions from the fans. Having a fecking mile to the pitch has killed the vibe a bit for me.
They need to go down the Spurs route with the roof and keeping the atmosphere in and would love a one tier stand.

ROFLUTION

I’ve always generally lent towards a new build for a variety of reasons.

1. We can build adjacent to the current stadium meaning no loss in revenue during the build or rent paid to City or the Manchester council.

2. You could keep the South stand and Munich tunnel as a one stand Reserve/Womens stadium. The East/West and North stands are so new anyway that retains the history and the original pitch.

3. A new stadium would have a better atmosphere, bigger capacity, more opportunity to be earn additional revenue, better facilities for both players and guests, better legroom. Renovating doesn’t solve all of the issues with Old Trafford.

4. A lot of cost that gets thrown in with other builds is the land cost. We’ve already got ahead of that so should save us some money. We also don’t have to face London land prices.

5. Naming rights. While I don’t love the idea of naming the stadium it is less annoying on a new stadium. If the old stadium was retained as a reserve/women’s ground then that could keep the Old Trafford moniker. The new stadium could be the ‘Ineos Theatre of Dreams’ or whatever. Barcelona got $310m for their Spotify deal so it’s not unfeasible we could cover a good chunk of the build by selling the rights.
Maybe I'm not that modern, but eugh. I almost vomit by just the thought of Theatre of dreams being so obvious connected to a sponsor and also a name that is connected to Old Trafford, where the dreams and history was actually made.

But unfortunately a new stadium probably comes with a price like naming, unless Jim choose to be noble about it.

For FFP reasons, I guess naming rights makes you able to spend more too, right? Bad incentive really, but it is what it is.

RoyH1

It’s unlikely we can refurb, but if we can it should be along these lines. A new build must be all of this and more, not a generic, uninspiring Sim City stadium like Emirates/Wembley.
The technological solutions for that stadium were astonishing. Densely urbanized location, metro lines running underneath. Just crazy. I shudder to think what that would have cost in the UK with the higher construction costs.