New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 670 49.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 673 50.1%

• Total voters

Spoony

The People's President
That's the $64, 000 dollar question, I always thought we would still be able to retain OT whilst a new stadium was being built

Now I'm not so sure, if you look at Spur's stadium and OT on Google Maps, make sure the scale is the same for both, OT has a fraction of the footprint of the new Spurs stadium, obviously they won't be the same but OT we'd hope would about a third bigger capacity wise and it's hard to see where it would fit with OT is still in place if it has anything like the Spur footprint

We'll probably knock down the Stretford End and quadrants whilst continuing playing at OT during construction.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
We'll probably knock down the Stretford End and quadrants whilst continuing playing at OT during construction.
Maybe but seeing the size of the Spurs place makes me think even that might not be doable

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I can understand what SJR is saying about OT. A very good friend of mine has been to Tottenham new stadium and he tells me how fantastic it is.

But in the event that a new stadium is built on the land, where would United play while it is being built.
Or would OT still be able to be used. Pardon my ignorance.
Ive got no idea what’ll happen but we own 40 acres in that area so plenty of room. The issue is the type of land we own and what buildings are already on it. There’s a couple of spots where if we just had a little more, it’d be an option… still could be with a bit of clever thinking… the recent stories about redevelopment include Peel, who are hugely experienced at this type of thing and finding solutions.

As @matherto has said, a rotation is an option but personally, I’m leaning towards a fully new one. Long term planning.
As far as I can see there is room to build a new stadium whilst using all the existing one only if the new is no bigger than what we have now.

However, if only three quarters of the existing stadium is used, ie minus the Stretty, and if a slice of the yards is negotiated, then there would be room for a substantially larger one to built, at 90 degrees to the present, as @matherto first pointed out.

I have no qualifications in this whatsoever mind, just looking at the map.
A la Spurs? The shaping of our owned land (how it curves inwards) does look like that might be an option … shame we don’t own another few acres a bit further back from the Stratford End.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
I'm all for nostalgia but what happened all the dudes that moaned about leaving Newton Heath.
That's what I've been thinking when seeing some of the whingeing about daring to contemplate touching where they've been going for numerous years. It's not as if we've only ever played in Old Trafford in that stadium. It's location and ground number three we have been able to enjoy. If folk can't handle moving a few metres, or should that be yards, over from the existing ground then I'd hate to think the reaction to leaving the ground where the historical trophy count started and they had to traipse miles from one side of the city to the other at a time when transport wasn't exactly at today's standards.

Also seeing Trigger's Broom/Ship of Theseus mentions reminds me of the old Lone Ranger Theme/William Tell Overture situation where whichever you referenced spoke volumes. :D

I didn't know about Peel. They are massive and adept at managing local authorities too. They would want a big fat profit but would also get things done.
They are and they would. John Whittaker is no mug but neither is Ratcliffe… there‘ll be some form of JV arranged (if all goes ahead), but given we own the land, we’re in a decent negotiating position.

Loads about the proposal on the Internet, one link below. You can see if we could buy some of the land a couple of hundred of yards behind the Stratford End (looks like container storage?), that and what we own could be an option.

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/ma...-area-around-manchester-uniteds-old-trafford/

next_number_seven

That's what I've been thinking when seeing some of the whingeing about daring to contemplate touching where they've been going for numerous years. It's not as if we've only ever played in Old Trafford in that stadium. It's location and ground number three we have been able to enjoy. If folk can't handle moving a few metres, or should that be yards, over from the existing ground then I'd hate to think the reaction to leaving the ground where the historical trophy count started and they had to traipse miles from one side of the city to the other at a time when transport wasn't exactly at today's standards.

Also seeing Trigger's Broom/Ship of Theseus mentions reminds me of the old Lone Ranger Theme/William Tell Overture situation where whichever you referenced spoke volumes. :D
I don't see the big deal of building a new stadium. Most sports teams do it. Juventus did it, Arsenal, Everton.

arthurka

I hate the idea of a new stadium but I am also realistic and it makes so much more sense to play at OT while you are building a 100k state of the art stadium that you can move into and close off the old one when they are done. They will do it right and bring homage to OT in the new one no doubt. But my inner kid who went there first 40 years ago screams no. But SJR is making all the right noises and him being 71 might actually work in our favour with him wanting to enjoy the fruits of his investment and work before he has to pack it in.

United Hobbit

Dare I say I hope we do what Liverpool have done with Anfield and redevelop OT, rather than build a whole new stadium. Best of both worlds in keeping the iconic venue, but revamping it to ensure it's modern and fit for purpose.

I went to Tottenham's new stadium the other week and it was very impressive it must be said, but lacked the atmosphere of OT - it could just be because their fans aren't as good as ours!

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
They are and they would. John Whittaker is no mug but neither is Ratcliffe… there‘ll be some form of JV arranged (if all goes ahead), but given we own the land, we’re in a decent negotiating position.

Loads about the proposal on the Internet, one link below. You can see if we could buy some of the land a couple of hundred of yards behind the Stratford End (looks like container storage?), that and what we own could be an option.

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/ma...-area-around-manchester-uniteds-old-trafford/
I gave you a pass first time but this time I feel obliged to correct, it's Stretford End :angel:

berbasloth4

New stadiums I believe are ruining atmospheres, look at West Ham spur Southampton arsenal used to have great atmospheres. Moves grounds maybe the “ultras or louder attendees” are all spread around etc. seems like something been sucked out of them a little.

I try to get 4+ games a season would be at more if funds allowed it with travel prices etc from ireland going up and up. and have been going since I was 3, I still get butterflies travelling to the ground seeing the stadium in skyline, walking through the tunnel etc. the ground is not the same stadium I first visited in 1992 it has changed and been renovated so much but the feelings and the buzz is the same. A brand new stadium I think can kill the connections and feelings.

I gave you a pass first time but this time I feel obliged to correct, it's Stretford End :angel:
Didn’t notice and just typed it in this reply and my IPad is selecting the middle option of three … I type Stretford (had to overrule IPad) and it puts it as Stratford. Now I’ve over ruled it once, it now leaves it alone. Cheers :)

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Didn’t notice and just typed it in this reply and my IPad is selecting the middle option of three … I type Stretford (had to overrule IPad) and it puts it as Stratford. Now I’ve over ruled it once, it now leaves it alone. Cheers :)
I always knew Apple were a bunch of heathens.

Frank Grimes

Dare I say I hope we do what Liverpool have done with Anfield and redevelop OT, rather than build a whole new stadium. Best of both worlds in keeping the iconic venue, but revamping it to ensure it's modern and fit for purpose.

I went to Tottenham's new stadium the other week and it was very impressive it must be said, but lacked the atmosphere of OT - it could just be because their fans aren't as good as ours!
We did do that, 25 years ago. We now have reached a different stage though where more expansion and refurbishment will not add up financially and building a new stadium a few hundred metres away will probably be the answer.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Why is he asking for public money for new stadium?
Well City did get the council house so only fair if we get a hand out !

But ye did seem a bit much to expect that - financing a new stadium is going to be his biggest challenge

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Well City did get the council house so only fair if we get a hand out !

But ye did seem a bit much to expect that - financing a new stadium is going to be his biggest challenge
City do pay for the privilege though

Big Andy

Bloke
Why is he asking for public money for new stadium?
He’s not, he’s asking them to cough up for the surrounding areas and infrastructure, tram stops, public realm areas, retail outlets, etc, alongside the regeneration of the Trafford Park area master plan

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Would most local Utd fans be happy with the new stadium being seen as a Wembley for the north?
Ye sure why not - making Northern football fans trek to London for everything is unnecessary, FA Cup semis used to be all around the country and England should move around the country too

berbasloth4

If a new ground is to be built the likelihood is united would need a temporary home due to safety etc.

Doubt city would be happy sub letting there ground and all other grounds close by are too small.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Ye sure why not - making Northern football fans trek to London for everything is unnecessary, FA Cup semis used to be all around the country and England should move around the country too
The FA's contract for semis at Wembley ends in 2027 so the Ralph Milne Thunderdome should be available not too long after that.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Given the area name would the new stadium if built behind OT just be called Trafford Park? Seems kinda obvious and not as dumb as ‘New Trafford’.
Trafford Park is an industrial park, Old Trafford is the area that contains, amongst other things, the industrial park, the cricket ground, 1000,s of houses, retail parks and office blocks

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
If a new ground is to be built the likelihood is united would need a temporary home due to safety etc.

Doubt city would be happy sub letting there ground and all other grounds close by are too small.
There's only 2 stadiums in England that woudn't be 'too small' and both are 200 miles away

Hal9000

Would most local Utd fans be happy with the new stadium being seen as a Wembley for the north?
The regeneration around Wembley since the new stadium was built is great, so yes. As Ratcliffe says, there is a lack of investment in the North.

Hal9000

I'd tolerate a new stadium if it was in the same location and not based on other stadium's design

would love a single tier stretford end with a prominent standing section

all talk of a 'Northern Wembley' is disappointing. not been to actual Wembley, but nine tenths of people I speak to confirm it is a soulless dome with minimal atmosphere. local area includes investment in Nachos, Carluccios and chain pubs.

Hardly the world class food poisoning we already serve, is it?
I think when he said "Wembley" of the North, i think he means a large capacity stadium that can serve as an area for finals/national games etc. Not a copy and paste of Wembley...

Some of the journo's have said that they want a single tier, similar to what Spurs/Dortmund have.

Charlie Foley

I love seeing cup semis at neutral grounds too. Old Trafford or Villa Park. Looks brilliant I think

LordSpud

He wants the Wembley of the North so sounds like he will push for 80-90k seats.