New Youth Policy?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I asked this question in the Daniel Åslund thread, but since there's been little interest I figured I'd give it a thread of it's own:

Are we checking out a lot more kids from all over the place these days, or is it just a coincidence that so many of these trials have ended up in the papers?

Are we pursuing young players more aggressively because of the proposed minimum requirement of academy players in the first team squad? I thought that rule was just another one of Platini's castles in the air..

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Yes. Dunno if it is a rule implemented yet, or one about to. But clubs are hoovering nations for players younger than 16 because of new rules.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I asked this question in the Daniel Åslund thread, but since there's been little interest I figured I'd give it a thread of it's own:

Are we checking out a lot more kids from all over the place these days, or is it just a coincidence that so many of these trials have ended up in the papers?

Are we pursuing young players more aggressively because of the proposed minimum requirement of academy players in the first team squad? I thought that rule was just another one of Platini's castles in the air..
Nothing to do with the proposals about academy players in the first-team.

Everything to do with the FA's insane ruling that all Academy players, based in England, must live within 90 minutes of our training ground. Hence, we're forced to look overseas.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
The 90 min rule is old news. I'm talking about a seemigly increased interest in kids from all over the world this season and to a lesser extent last season. Is it a concidence, or is there something there? And if there is - exactly what is it? My guess would be a smart reaction to the noises Paltini has been making..

oskarutd

The 90 min rule is old news. I'm talking about a seemigly increased interest in kids from all over the world this season and to a lesser extent last season. Is it a concidence, or is there something there? And if there is - exactly what is it? My guess would be a smart reaction to the noises Paltini has been making..
Don´t forget that McClair is now the new Academy manager and it does takes time to make changes, maybe this is fruits from his changes. Most likly it is though only more in the news but has been going on for years.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
United have always drafted in kids at 15.......ever since the 1940's......so this is definitely not new at all...

With the advent of greater communication, a clamouring from the press for new stories and the ease of getting young lads from Europe..this is just a natural progression.

In our 1952/53 youth team.......Clayton and Edwards were from Stafford.....Pegg from Doncaster....Cope from Crewe...Billy Whelan from Dublin....

In last year's team.....Galbraith from Edinburgh...Cathcart and Evans from Belfast....Fagan from Dublin....Strickland from Liverpool...

Both teams had the majority of players from the Manchester area.....

Getting Alund, King, the Brazilian twins is just the same these days as getting Irish and Scottish lads fifty years ago.....

I don't read too much into this.....and remember....when lads were on trial at United fifty years ago.....it was sensational news locally....we just didn't have the internet, radio and TV coverage to tell us about it!