Newcastle United - 2020/21

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
making some very smart signings.

Wilson will get them enough goals, Fraser is an excellent addition. Lewis is also decent.

A top 10 finish ?

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Nope, can see them finishing around 14th. ASM and Fraser on the wings will be good but the rest of the squad is painfully average.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
My first thought was who is Ashley going to sell to fund this Wilson transfer.

Paul_Scholes18

Wilson will get them enough goals, Fraser is an excellent addition. Lewis is also decent.

A top 10 finish ?
Will be hard for them to get top 10.
We got the big 6 sides. Wolves, Leicester who are strong.
Then Everton who got some quality and now Anchelotti for a full season.
Sheffield will probably drop down a bit in quality, but would not rule them out.
After them it is more open I guess, but I fancy Southampton and even Brighton more than Newcastle.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Nah, not impressed. They'll escape relegation though.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Dubravka, Lacelles, Saint Maximan, Wilson, Fraser and Almiron only players id keep

Bin the rest,

Paul_Scholes18

Nah, not impressed. They'll escape relegation though.
'
Villa, West Brom and Fulham would be my prediction to go down.
Would never rule out Moyes to take West ham down either, but they should have too much quality.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Probably same as last season, some big scalps and many boring games. Really all about Saint Maxim and in fairness Almiron looked brighter from January.

Robbie Boy

They're not really amazing signings to be honest. Wilson is solid but nothing amazing, Fraser looked good in 18/19 but nothing more than that and Lewis is still very raw.

Haddock

A top 10 finish ?
Top 10? Try survival. Lewis was part of the worst backline in the league, Wilson is £20m with a history of bad injuries. It's a gamble at the very least. Oh well, it's better than having to watch Joselu hit it into the Gallowgate. Fraser is decent. Jeff Hendrick is a good player so there's that. There's a very good chance that Newcastle could be staring at relegation again because Bruce is hopeless.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Top 10? Try survival. Lewis was part of the worst backline in the league, Wilson is £20m with a history of bad injuries. It's a gamble at the very least. Oh well, it's better than having to watch Joselu hit it into the Gallowgate. Fraser is decent. Jeff Hendrick is a good player so there's that. There's a very good chance that Newcastle could be staring at relegation again because Bruce is hopeless.
Can't be hopeless when you finished 13th. I don't rate Bruce as manager but what he did last season was unexpected. Although his team form dropped after the lockdown.

Lewis is a good PL left back, Wilson is a good signing for Newcastle level, Fraser is good mid table winger while Hendrick is decent player. Good signings so far. Ironically, I have watched Wilson interview years ago about him mentioned he preferred to play next to target man, and yesterday he played next to Andy Caroll. Looks like the manager is signing the right player there.

Haddock

Can't be hopeless when you finished 13th. I don't rate Bruce as manager but what he did last season was unexpected. Although his team form dropped after the lockdown.

Lewis is a good PL left back, Wilson is a good signing for Newcastle level, Fraser is good mid table winger while Hendrick is decent player. Good signings so far. Ironically, I have watched Wilson interview years ago about him mentioned he preferred to play next to target man, and yesterday he played next to Andy Caroll. Looks like the manager is signing the right player there.
Lewis last night was certainly better than anything we've seen from Danny Rose last season. Carroll, a walking injury, hasn't scored for Newcastle since he rejoined. I rate Wilson but he's only ever scored more than 10 goals once and the injury threat remains.

Let's just say watching Bruce's teams play football is....challenging. Under Benitez it wasn't great but there was some coherence and the defence looked settled. Under Bruce it wasn't till he went back to Benitez's tactics. I'm not sure where Newcastle rank in terms of chances created or shots in the box but it must be near the bottom. The thing is I don't think the players are untalented. If Almiron and Saint-Maximin can find a bit of end product this year Newcastle might do well but there has to be some gameplan to get the best out of the talent. And for once it looks like Newcastle even have something like squad depth!

marktan

Lewis last night was certainly better than anything we've seen from Danny Rose last season. Carroll, a walking injury, hasn't scored for Newcastle since he rejoined. I rate Wilson but he's only ever scored more than 10 goals once and the injury threat remains.

Let's just say watching Bruce's teams play football is....challenging. Under Benitez it wasn't great but there was some coherence and the defence looked settled. Under Bruce it wasn't till he went back to Benitez's tactics. I'm not sure where Newcastle rank in terms of chances created or shots in the box but it must be near the bottom. The thing is I don't think the players are untalented. If Almiron and Saint-Maximin can find a bit of end product this year Newcastle might do well but there has to be some gameplan to get the best out of the talent. And for once it looks like Newcastle even have something like squad depth!
There's this obsession amongst Newcastle fans to rate everything Benitez did and disregard everything Bruce does. It's really bizzare, I watched a lot of Newcastle games last season and it's always the same sort of line on the Newcastle forum I read. Yes they did struggle for goals last season by playing a winger in Joelinton as a CF, but they were always defensively solid and always looked like a PL team.

I don't think Bruce is the dinosaur some make him out either, I remember some of his PL sides from 10 years ago and they were decent and I remember him making good signings. He's not Klopp but he's certainly no Moyes either. They've added some very solid depth to their team, I don't think they have enough for a top 10 push as the teams there are more established and have longer-bought depth, but they'll be nowhere near the relegation places this season. Crucially their best players are still young - an extended stay in the PL and a couple more windows like this summers and they'll continue to get better. If ASM and Almiron can add goals to their game then the could really challenge in the top 10 - because skillwise those 2 are very very good.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Newcastle fans still crediting Benitez for good performances even now, while refusing to give Bruce any credit. Why?

GlasgowCeltic

Benitez called out the ownership, Bruce is essentially a yes man. Think that about sums up why one is loved and the other despised.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Benitez called out the ownership, Bruce is essentially a yes man. Think that about sums up why one is loved and the other despised.
Why would Bruce call him out? Ashley has spent plenty for him.

Josh 76

Lewis was wanted be Klopp. That's something in itself. Robertson and Maguire were signed from a relegated team too. You can't really blame one player for that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I don't get what you are arguing here on my post. I'm trying to against your logic that questioned Bruce's recruitment. I believe he made the right recruitment this summer to make improvement from last season. All the players he signed this summer make sense and compliment with their last season squad.

LucasXXII

The usual snobbishness here against teams that dare to not play a possession-based style :lol:

No reason why they can't finish above the likes of Brighton when the latter can neither score nor defend anyway.