Nexlions Cup

jb8521

United name provisional squad for Nexlions Cup in Singapore 14-16 December

Goalkeepers: Pierluigi Gollini, Jonathan Sutherland.

Defenders: Liam Grimshaw, Nicholas Ioannou, Luke McCullough, Tyler Blackett.

Midfielders: Charni Ekangamene, Luke Hendrie, Mats Moller Daehli, Jack Rudge, Andreas Pereira, Benjamin Pearson, James Weir, Thomas Lawrence.

Forwards: Jack Barmby, James Wilson, Angelo Henriquez

http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3880...ted-reveal-provisional-squad-for-nexlions-cup

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Great to see Ioannou is fit again.

We'll be competing against Sporting U19, Liverpool U19 and SingaporeU19.

Brightonian

Excellent squad. 17 doesn't seem like very many, though - what happens if a defender gets injured?

I wouldn't have many complaints if the U21s looked a bit more like this. Less dead wood.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Unless there's an injury, I think Donald Love is very unlucky to miss out. Been very good this season.

lysglimt

Scout
Excellent squad. 17 doesn't seem like very many, though - what happens if a defender gets injured?

I wouldn't have many complaints if the U21s looked a bit more like this. Less dead wood.
Both Weir and Hendrie have played right back before - which is probably why Love has been omitted (unless it's injuries involved)

Drainy

Wrong thread for this but whats the story with Ekangamene? For some reason I thought he left, I take it he was out with a serious injury?
nah, if he was injured I think it was only a minor one. It looks like he was in the same position as Barmby, not really benefiting from u-18s football but too much competition for places in the u-21s to get a regular start until people left on loan.

jb8521

nah, if he was injured I think it was only a minor one. It looks like he was in the same position as Barmby, not really benefiting from u-18s football but too much competition for places in the u-21s to get a regular start until people left on loan.
Hes not eligible for under 18s. As far as I know he was playing in the under 21s behind closed doors games along with the likes of McCullough and Hendrie. Hes only really getting games with the under 21s full team with people going out on loan. I thought he had a good game the other night

Drainy

Still only 18 isn't he? have they changed the eligibility rules?

Yeah, he did well in the last game. Hopefully he can use the opportunity to establish himself at that level. Fingers crossed for Barmby that a couple more leave on loan so he can get a shot too.

Brightonian

Both Weir and Hendrie have played right back before - which is probably why Love has been omitted (unless it's injuries involved)
True, and Hendrie's ok there. Not been confident with the idea of Weir as a defender for a while though. I'd have brought Love, just to be safe. Plus KM's right, he's more than earned a chance like this.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I imagine he will be the only full international at the tournament.

Still, might do him some good to play in a team that can actually pass the ball to him
Hopefully he will get this loan at Wigan.

jb8521

Still only 18 isn't he? have they changed the eligibility rules?

Yeah, he did well in the last game. Hopefully he can use the opportunity to establish himself at that level. Fingers crossed for Barmby that a couple more leave on loan so he can get a shot too.
Yeah the rules are that the player has to be under 18 on the 1st of September. Yeah I wouldnt mind seeing Barmby replace Bebe in the starting line up for the under 21s but it seems like theyre trying to get the under 18s used to playing together before the youth cup so he and Januzaj have played the last 2 games for the under 18s

lysglimt

Scout
True, and Hendrie's ok there. Not been confident with the idea of Weir as a defender for a while though. I'd have brought Love, just to be safe. Plus KM's right, he's more than earned a chance like this.
IMO Hendrie was awful at right back. It was during his time at right back our defense was at its worst last season. It didn't really improve until we started using Grimshaw and Love as I recall.

He can play there - but it's not a good solution

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Goalkeepers: Pierluigi Gollini, Jonathan Sutherland.

Defenders: Liam Grimshaw, Nicholas Ioannou, Luke McCullough, Tyler Blackett.

Midfielders: Charni Ekangamene, Luke Hendrie, Mats Moller Daehli, Jack Rudge, Andreas Pereira, Benjamin Pearson, James Weir, Thomas Lawrence.

Forwards: Jack Barmby, James Wilson, Angelo Henriquez
I'd imagine this isn't far from what our squad would be if we had entered the U19 NextGen series, plus Januzaj, Rothwell, Love and maybe a couple of others.

Forevergiggs

Good to see Blackett in there. He hasn't played much this season, I am guessing he was injured till now. Surprised to see that Januzaj is missing from the provisional squad.

Widnes

Yeah the rules are that the player has to be under 18 on the 1st of September. Yeah I wouldnt mind seeing Barmby replace Bebe in the starting line up for the under 21s but it seems like theyre trying to get the under 18s used to playing together before the youth cup so he and Januzaj have played the last 2 games for the under 18s
Might be one of the reasons they are taking Henriquez, is he able to play in the youth cup this season? I know he is a U21 player usually but if he can play in the youth cup then it maybe a good idea to have him playing games with the likes of Daelhi and Januzaj from a young age as they all have a very good chance of making it.

Assuming that Henriquez doesn't go out on loan in January window.

SkeppyRed

First game Vs Sporting Lisbon on Friday 14th December. Its on MUTV at 10am.

Next game will be on Sunday and time depends on the result of our first game.

SkeppyRed

The whole game is being shown but its not clear whether its Live or not yet.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Photos from the airport arrival show Rowley, Daehli, Weir, Ioannou, Love, Gollini, Barmby, Grimshaw, Gorre and Rudge along with Brian McClair.

Obviously there are others.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'm asuming the times listed are local Singapore times, GMT +8 if I'm reading google correctly.

14 December 2012

First Match
Manchester United vs Sporting Lisbon
Kick - Off: 6.15pm (10.15 am GMT)

Second Match
Liverpool vs Singapore
Kick - Off: 8.45pm (12.45 am GMT)

16 December 2012

3rd/4th Placing
Kick - Off: 4.45pm (8.45 am GMT)

Final
Kick - Off: 7.15pm (11.15 am GMT)

Note:
Each ticket is valid for both matches in a day

http://www.ticketbooth.com.sg/EventDetail.ntuc?EventId=307

https://www.facebook.com/nexlions

mo0

Yusuf Mersin, Ryan Fulton, Lloyd Jones, Ryan McLaughlin, Brad Smith, Jordan Lussey, Daniel Trickett-Smith, Jack Dunn, Kristoffer Peterson, Marc Pelosi, Adam Morgan, Samed Yesil, Jerome Sinclair, Yalany Baio, Jordon Ibe, Niall Heaton, Joe Maguire.

Liverpool squad.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Can't seem to find an updated United roster. But adding those Mr. Mujac listed to the first list gives us:

Goalkeepers: Gollini, Sutherland.
Defenders: Grimshaw, Ioannou, McCullough, Blackett, Love, Rowley
Midfielders: Ekangamene, Hendrie, Daehli, Rudge, A. Pereira, Pearson, Weir, Gorre, Rothwell
Forwards: Barmby, Wilson, Henriquez, Lawrence

I moved Lawrence to the forwards list as well.

If we give preference to the players that have gotten the most time at U21 level we'd have something like:

Gollini
Love McCullough Grimshaw Blackett
A. Pereira Ekangamene Hendrie Daehli
Lawrence Hendriquez​

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Will be interesting to see our players handle playing over in Singapore.

The pitch will give most players some issue as it's artificial grass and the humidity level is ridiculous at times, and it's monsoon season right now, so if it rains, as i expect it to, it won't help our passing game too.

jb8521

Official squad
Pierluigi Gollini, Jonathan Sutherland
Declan Dalley, Donald Love, Callum Evans, Louis Rowley, Liam Grimshaw, Nicholas Ioannou
James Weir, Jack Rudge, Patrick McNair, Joe Rothwell, Jack Barmby, Ben Pearson, Mats Daehli
Sam Byrne, Kenji Gorré, James Wilson

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Can't seem to find an updated United roster. But adding those Mr. Mujac listed to the first list gives us:

Goalkeepers: Gollini, Sutherland.
Defenders: Grimshaw, Ioannou, McCullough, Blackett, Love, Rowley
Midfielders: Ekangamene, Hendrie, Daehli, Rudge, A. Pereira, Pearson, Weir, Gorre, Rothwell
Forwards: Barmby, Wilson, Henriquez, Lawrence

I moved Lawrence to the forwards list as well.

If we give preference to the players that have gotten the most time at U21 level we'd have something like:

Gollini
Love McCullough Grimshaw Blackett
A. Pereira Ekangamene Hendrie Daehli
Lawrence Hendriquez​
I haven't seen any pics of the above players as yet...add Callum Evans and Declan Dalley