Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
People need to stop the LVG and Mourinho rhetoric. They were both past it by the time they came to United - which is clear as day for anyone to see based on their career since then.

They were both shite experienced managers. Ole is a shit inexperienced manager.

Just get a good manager. Experienced or not.
The problem is your fanbase is so risk averse.

RepardReece

He plays a 3 2 3 2 or 3 5 2 so its Maguire Varane and Lindelof at CB, Shaw and AWB/ Dalot at FB. Pogba Bruno and Mctominay in a 3 and Ronaldo and Rashfors up top, rotate Greenwood Sancho and Cavani. We can play Shae at LCB or AWB at RCB and have so many options. Conte is a tactician and would love this squad, it has the perfect balance for him.
yeah not convinced with that, but Conte is an exceptional manager so wouldn't question it.

FatTails

Massive wanker, though. He's even more short term than Mourinho. It'll be all fine and dandy for about a season and a half, and then he'll flip his lid and be out of here.
His main complaint has always been clubs not spending enough basically. We are (in)famous for overspending if anything. He’ll love it here.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Conte is a brilliant brilliant manager but i am not sold on his style. I want to see attacking football where we pass the ball into the net like City do.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Can we not get Luis Enrique?

I liked his Barcelona side - though I'm not sure if that's a bit post Pep effect.

Still great side.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Rogers or Ten Hag.
Ex Liverpool and serial bottler? No Ty. Try for ten hag, even though I doubt we have the players for his style. Try for for one of the up and coming Germans. My main focus would be tempting Zidane, I think his style would be perfect.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
As good a managers Zidane and Conte both are I personally hope we steer clear and instead bring in a coach with a attack minded approach to the game that has the potential to excite the fans. Nagelsmann and Rose don't look like viable options as things stand due to only joining Bayern and Dortmund recently. So I'm personally hoping we go for a coach who understands the requirements for the modern game and would hope we look at Ten Hag, who I believe coaches a exciting brand of football which in it's nature looks to exert control over the opposition. He's also someone that has shown he can develop youth and help a team punch above their weight whilst competing against the best in Europe. And contrary to what's been said about him in here, I believe he would have the tools already at the club to implement his style of play.

And I firmly believe if we were to win the league or UCL under Ten Hag it would live long in the memory due to the exciting brand of football he would likely have us playing imo.

Hughie77

No one out there to take over and do any better I think. Unless you want to go get after Another unproven manger, the likes of G Potter, but haven't utd done that, it hasn't worked. Maybe Conte? Now Tuchel was the only one for me after PSG. Zidane doesn't want the job. So I think we have to stick with the inconsistent last 2 seasons . Up down up down. Nearly there oh maybe next season . That's it I think been there through the 80s , but we did get a few cups. Looks like we get nothing forever and ever now just a well supported club hoping every year.

Flytan

As good a managers Zidane and Conte both are I personally hope we steer clear and instead bring in a coach with a attack minded approach to the game that has the potential to excite the fans. Nagelsmann and Rose don't look like viable options as things stand due to only joining Bayern and Dortmund recently. So I'm personally hoping we go for a coach who understands the requirements for the modern game and would hope we look at Ten Hag, who I believe coaches a exciting brand of football which in it's nature looks to exert control over the opposition. He's also someone that has shown he can develop youth and help a team punch above their weight whilst competing against the best in Europe. And contrary to what's been said about him in here, I believe he would have the tools already at the club to implement his style of play.

And I firmly believe if we were to win the league or UCL under Ten Hag it would live long in the memory due to the exciting brand of football he would likely have us playing imo.
I think most people feel similar to you but I don't think anyone wants to wait until the off season which is what it would take for someone like Ten Hag. Conte and Zidane are both available now and could immediately slot in as an upgrade and command the respect from the players that Ole doesn't. Maybe they don't work long term but there's no reason to believe that their appointments have to be long term if it doesn't work out. All I know is that Ole isn't a good manager and we need a change ASAP to salvage a season. Maybe it backfires more, but I'm tired of the club taking the long approach and always playing it safe.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I think there's a 0% chance of Ole being sacked before the season is out unless things to catastrophically wrong- I.e. us struggling to get into the Top 4.
This. The Glazers only ever sacked one manager outside the 'failed to make Champions League' clause and that was only because Jose baited them into it to get more money.

lsd

The Oracle
I have to say I'm coming round to wishing someone like Conte running the club and being allowed to pick his own background staff.

Ole has done a good job but if he doesn't win a trophy this season and maintain a top two position then there is no reason to keep the faith in him

Bertie 2 Hats

Now is the time for Ole to stand aside.. The time is right for me and lad's from my local to step in as manager and coaching staff to save our season.. :devil:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His Spanish team played good football at the euros.
I'd rather go for him than letting City go for Enrique.

I can imagine city going for him a bit like how Enrique managed Barcelona well after Pep.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We are not going to make a change until CL football looks impossible to get, we have seen this story for last eight years. We've only sacked managers when CL football is in question, two of them were let go at the end/after the season and Mourinho basically made it impossible to retain.

I don't think there's a top manager out there who would suit us, honestly. Conte style is just too abrasive, and I just don't see how he'll mesh here. Same goes for Zidane, did a tremendous job at Real Madrid but the quality at his disposal was unreal, and they had a habit of crossing repeatedly aiming for Ronaldo's head. All top managers have been snapped up in past few years, we'll have to wait for one of them to be free. But, question remains, will we be proactive enough to make a change? I don't think so. Our board is quite risk-averse so it'd take a mixture of a very poor run of form plus good timing of a top manager being available for this to work out.

Note, this is not me saying, there's no manager who would be an upgrade on Ole. Far from it, just saying there aren't any top managers available, who'd suit us, right now.

He showed it when he bottled top 4 in his first season, but we are all romantics and just have new hope after every false dawn.

But he's clearly not fit for the job and can't hide behind the squad quality.
I have always said, giving him permanent job in March was a major mistake. We should have waited until end of season to make that call. Our end to the season was abysmal, and there were already questions back then, if he has it in him to turn things around and arrest a decline. We went for a full squad clear out and backed him to the hilt.

AshRK

The problem is your fanbase is so risk averse.
Our fans are too blinded by "United way". United way is about to win and not just passion. The biggest myth in last 2 years have been acting like sir alex was just some passion merchant.

Sviken

Potter, Zidane, Conte, take your pick. Rodgers is also a good shout. We missed our chance for Nagelsmann and Rose would seem hard to get currently, we'd probably have to wait at the end of the season for that one.

Unfortunately, this is pipedreams. Our club is run by useless idiots. As long as Ole manages to get top 4 with this squad (I could probably do that), he's never gonna get sacked.

The Hilton

This. The Glazers only ever sacked one manager outside the 'failed to make Champions League' clause and that was only because Jose baited them into it to get more money.
This is a really weird way to get around the truth, which is that the Glazers have fired every manager that isn't Fergie.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Ten Hag or Luis Enrique!!!

Feel like our board will mess up anyway.

ray24

Supports
Arsenal
Our fans are too blinded by "United way". United way is about to win and not just passion. The biggest myth in last 2 years have been acting like sir alex was just some passion merchant.
Your United way is outdated. Half of your fanbase mocks modern managers for being too hipster and have issues with modern progressive football.

RoyH1

His Spanish team played good football at the euros.
Good manager, he’d have us playing good football. But he’s very thin skinned and would be perpetually at war with the press

dinostar77

I think there's a 0% chance of Ole being sacked before the season is out unless things to catastrophically wrong- I.e. us struggling to get into the Top 4.

For what it's worth, I've like the look of Ten Haag at Ajax.
I agree unless we finish outside top 4 he wont be sacked. However how long before Ronaldo and his camp become disillusioned with Ole and his limited ways? Then Mendes starts to have conversations with senior utd figures and suggests a change of manager?.....

el3mel

We won't go wrong with either Conte or Zidane. Both will win the league here I have no doubt about it.

marktan

I think Conte and Zidane are risks too. It's the Liverpool post 80s approach - sign coaches based on their name rather than the actual football they play. We tried it with Van Gaal and Mourinho already. Conte can be a winner, but he signed loads of old players for Inter and the competition in the PL is a lot harder than it is in Serie A. Are we really willing to let him spend hundreds of millions on old players, for a not particularly great brand of football with no guarantee of success?

I think we should go back to the basics approach and appoint someone like Potter for two reasons
1) Brighton some great football. They give even the best teams in the league a game with inferior players
2) He's built a very good squad at Brighton. We could use someone who can identify players with potential and not simply go for every exotic sounding £70m player. We need to build a team.

Zidane's even more of a risk, he had a prime Real Madrid squad with basically a world class player in every position given to him. No one knows if he can build a squad or not.

AshRK

Your United way is outdated. Half of your fanbase mocks modern managers for being too hipster and have issues with modern progressive football.
I don't think they have issues with progressive manager. Almost all United fans will acknowledge Ole is nowhere near Klopp or Pep or Tuchel. The fact is too hung up on not changing a manager. Happened when Jose was in charge as well.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
We are not going to make a change until CL football looks impossible to get, we have seen this story for last eight years. We've only sacked managers when CL football is in question, two of them were let go at the end/after the season and Mourinho basically made it impossible to retain.

I don't think there's a top manager out there who would suit us, honestly. Conte style is just too abrasive, and I just don't see how he'll mesh here. Same goes for Zidane, did a tremendous job at Real Madrid but the quality at his disposal was unreal, and they had a habit of crossing repeatedly aiming for Ronaldo's head. All top managers have been snapped up in past few years, we'll have to wait for one of them to be free. But, question remains, will we be proactive enough to make a change? I don't think so. Our board is quite risk-averse so it'd take a mixture of a very poor run of form plus good timing of a top manager being available for this to work out.

Note, this is not me saying, there's no manager who would be an upgrade on Ole. Far from it, just saying there aren't any top managers available, who'd suit us, right now.

I have always said, giving him permanent job in March was a major mistake. We should have waited until end of season to make that call. Our end to the season was abysmal, and there were already questions back then, if he has it in him to turn things around and arrest a decline. We went for a full squad clear out and backed him to the hilt.
It was a huge mistake, and just laughable why we couldnt wait. Similar to his new contracts where the inners have completely made up the concept of what happens when a manager's contract is running down. Another terrible mistake.

He should be fighting for an extension now, but he's rather safe for life now on a ridiculous wage far above his ability.

daveskimufc

Ole is going nowhere. He would have to be struggling come the end of the season, out of all cups for it to even be considered.

he will be here for years to come

passing-wind

The problem isn't just the manager, it's the style of play (or lack of it). A decent proper coach would want to retool the squad into a shape to his liking and that will cost an awful lot. So the Glazers will stick with Ole unless he misses top 4. And then they will not replace him with an elite hungry coach because those people know they will fail and trash their reputations if they come here. That's the reality.
I'm unsure where people get this idea, if Ole misses the top 4 it's almost a guarantee that he will be dismissed especially if the glazers have this as a clause in his contract.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We'd be bat shit insane to not go for Conte.
Not sure this is true. We would need to change the shape of the team quite substantially, his style is awful and he is an extremely short term option anyway. There are much better options out there.

The Hilton

We won't go wrong with either Conte or Zidane. Both will win the league here I have no doubt about it.
Sorry, this isn't just aimed at you, but Conte would be a disaster.

We've seen with Moyes, LvG, and Mou how damaging it is to bring in managers with vastly differing philosophies/styles, bringing in Conte would result in another reset.

el3mel

I don't think they have issues with progressive manager. Almost all United fans will acknowledge Ole is nowhere near Klopp or Pep or Tuchel. The fact is too hung up on not changing a manager. Happened when Jose was in charge as well.
No it's true. Some here mock anyone who dares to talk about patterns of play, modern football and systems in order to defend Ole's haphazard football. Some here were mocking Nagelsmann all the time because some were convinced he's a better manager than Ole.

There're indeed fans here who think modern football doesn't exist, something invented by young football fans and Ole's way is the real football way.

Teja

Ole is going nowhere. He would have to be struggling come the end of the season, out of all cups for it to even be considered.

he will be here for years to come
We have by far the highest wage budget in the league. So not even competing for the title this year will force the board to reconsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.