g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas

Open to offers
I think we ought to seriously look at tempting Diego Simeone away from Atletico Madrid if we can.

He's proved his ability to build teams, and maintain a high level of performance over a long period of time. And lord knows a bunch of our players need kicks up their backsides - which he is not afraid to provide.
Id rather Poch. That’s how little I want Simeone anywhere near our club.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Flick is not a good example, generally speaking, because he's an exception, his complete lack of previous team management jobs is somewhat misleading when you realize that he's worked closely with most of Bayern's spine during the NT's most successful years.

But the age thing is nonsense anyway.
I'm using Flick as a example due to his age and his perceived lack of experience as a head coach at a big club.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I'm using Flick as a example due to his age and his perceived lack of experience as a head coach at a big club.
I get that.
Think the argument is pointless though in that it's based on a comment which I think was not even serious. Of course Ten Hag is not too old, and he does have the experience too. I think the poster was joking.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I get that.
Think the argument is pointless though in that it's based on a comment which I think was not even serious. Of course Ten Hag is not too old, and he does have the experience too. I think the poster was joking.
It's hard to tell if someone's joking on here in the current climate.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I think we ought to seriously look at tempting Diego Simeone away from Atletico Madrid if we can.

He's proved his ability to build teams, and maintain a high level of performance over a long period of time. And lord knows a bunch of our players need kicks up their backsides - which he is not afraid to provide.
I wouldn't be too upset if he came in but I know lots of people think he is too defensive - boy, could we do with being able to defend

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
ManUtd DNA - what even is that after Fergie left? A figment of our collective nostalgia?
We had a manager who supposedly knew everything about the club's DNA - turned out to resemble smoke and mirrors in my opinion

lumeyes

Ten Hag or bust.

Enrique won't leave Spain, but he'd be a fine choice as well.

I'd rather take the risk on Potter than employ Poch. His time at PSG has been heavily uninspiring.
Feel the same way about Poch, after watching his team twice. With the talent available to him, it seemed he was just happy to play against the big boys, with no desire to win.

SER19

66% now wanting ten-hag. Has there ever been such a popular candidate?

SER19

Poch before Ole got the permanent job?
Ya, maybe. I like Pochettino, don't watch PSG enough to know for sure, but the accusations that they at times look aimless and rely on individuals is all a bit too familiar.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
66% now wanting ten-hag. Has there ever been such a popular candidate?
If I remember correctly around 80 % in here wanted Mourinho. There was at least a poll who gave him 80 % approval before we hired him. Sounds insane, maybe someone could correct me?

People in here really loved Mourinho before he was hired.

Greck

If it's ETH hope United fans are ready for what his football actually entails. Total football 2.0. The aren't the same but of all our previous managers LVG is the closest. Dutch philosophies that are both offshoots of Cruyffian football. Simple football that's difficult as they put it. Read he also says he tried to emulate Pep so that's probably a better comparison. Could take a solid 2-3 years to look potent because of how our current team is built around minimal build up and over-directness. I don't doubt some of our players don't want him because they know they won't fit in to this style.

ti vu

If I remember correctly around 80 % in here wanted Mourinho. There was at least a poll who gave him 80 % approval before we hired him. Sounds insane, maybe someone could correct me?

People in here really loved Mourinho before he was hired.
Because Mourinho was a sole runner by that time. Ancelotti was my choice. He was named as Bayern manager for the following season some time in December 2015. Later Pep arrival at Man City was announced around this time of the year already. Very few people on here knew about Conte. Chelsea appointed him a couple months before EURO IIRC.

People getting behind Mourinho appointment then because they saw the challenge from our rivals appointing good coaches for the coming season, and he's best leftover choice.

Now we have more choices. 60% is really something.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If it's ETH hope United fans are ready for what his football actually entails. Total football 2.0. The aren't the same but of all our previous managers LVG is the closest. Dutch philosophies that are both offshoots of Cruyffian football. Simple football that's difficult as they put it. Read he also says he tried to emulate Pep so that's probably a better comparison. Could take a solid 2-3 years to look potent because of how our current team is built around minimal build up and over-directness. I don't doubt some of our players don't want him because they know they won't fit in to this style.
The 3 best coaches in the EPL are directly or indirectly influenced by the total football concepts of the 1970s. Klopp in his own words implemented many of Arrigo Sacchi's ideas into his thinking and Sacchi in-turn was influenced by Rinus Michel's and the Dutch total football concept.

Erik ten Hag isn't wedded to the total football concept and has implemented ideas into his team from other cultures. The only similarity between LVG and ten Hag is that they both follow the positional play principles. But LVG was risk averse in comparison to ten Hag, who not only looks to implement a high risk vertical style in possession but does that with a view to playing the game in the opponents half in a compact high block, along with creating conditions to implement controlled chaos off the ball.(counter pressure off the ball). That's a big difference to the LVG we saw at United.

I do agree with you that it could take longer for ten Hag to implement his ideas compared to Poch. Ten Hag's ideas both in offensive and defensive transitions are of a higher level in comparison. But teaching that type of football could take longer to implement, but if he gets it right, then the football is gonna be devastating.

Arrigo Sacchi once said in a interview, 'that I haven't arrived at Milan to conform to the Italian reality of playing defensive football, but I've arrived to attack that mindset'. And he did just that by implementing a brand of football that would influence a generation of coaches, similar to how he was influenced by Rinus Michels. I feel we should adopt that mentality.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
The 3 best coaches in the EPL are directly or indirectly influenced by the total football concepts of the 1970s. Klopp in his own words implemented many of Arrigo Sacchi's ideas into his thinking and Sacchi in-turn was influenced by Rinus Michel's and the Dutch total football concept.

Erik ten Hag isn't wedded to the total football concept and has implemented ideas into his team from other cultures. The only similarity between LVG and ten Hag is that they both follow the positional play principles. But LVG was risk averse in comparison to ten Hag, who not only looks to implement a high risk vertical style in possession but does that with a view to playing the game in the opponents half in a compact high block, along with creating conditions to implement controlled chaos off the ball.(counter pressure off the ball). That's a big difference to the LVG we saw at United.

I do agree with you that it could take longer for ten Hag to implement his ideas compared to Poch. Ten Hag's ideas both in offensive and defensive transitions are of a higher level in comparison. But teaching that type of football could take longer to implement, but if he gets it right, then the football is gonna be devastating.

Arrigo Sacchi once said in a interview, 'that I haven't arrived at Milan to conform to the Italian reality of playing defensive football, but I've arrived to attack that mindset'. And he did just that by implementing a brand of football that would influence a generation of coaches, similar to how he was influenced by Rinus Michels. I feel we should adopt that mentality.
Also well worth to note that Ten Hag plays zonal marking. LvG actually played man-marking, something that shows how outdated he was in some aspects.

redcorner

Say what you want but Mourinho actually got the best out of all our Rebellious players. We should of backed him that season /transfer window. How clear is it now than ever that indeed the players were the virus. It says a lot that even after how much we rubbished him, hes still our best manager post Fergie

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Because Mourinho was a sole runner by that time. Ancelotti was my choice. He was named as Bayern manager for the following season some time in December 2015. Later Pep arrival at Man City was announced around this time of the year already. Very few people on here knew about Conte. Chelsea appointed him a couple months before EURO IIRC.

People getting behind Mourinho appointment then because they saw the challenge from our rivals appointing good coaches for the coming season, and he's best leftover choice.

Now we have more choices. 60% is really something.
Well, Conte was my choice back then. I was really surprised back then by how highly rated Mourinho was in England. Felt like people had not been paying much attention.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Also well worth to note that Ten Hag plays zonal marking. LvG actually played man-marking, something that shows how outdated he was in some aspects.
That's correct and it'll be interesting to see if LVG will attempt to implement some of the modern concepts for Holland. He did say in a interview recently that he was learning from Coaches like Tuchel.

Greck

No I said the closest football to our managers is LVG not that they play the same cos duh it sure as hell isn't Jose's football. That rather they are evolutions of Cruyffian tactics. The dutch managers took inspiration from him. Also said Pep is a more similar comparison because of the freedoms he gives his players. ETH actually said he tried to play like Pep. However make no mistake despite the evolution it is Cruyffian football as in the same way church denominations are a branch of the same religion.

In terms of freedoms LVG tells the players what passes to make where the likes of Pep and ETH allow them to decide however the individuals are still expected to get the goal under those principles not to go totally off script and wing it. Everyone has to be on the same rhythm for any possession style to be effective. Those players with poor discipline and low intelligence could be looking for a new club in 18-24 months. The aptitude for this style cannot simply be taught, there must be a strong foundation in the first place. A player like AWB has no chance, even Rashford might struggle.

I also didn't think about Poch. I'm not trying to get sucked into that blackhole. People need'nt treat these managers like that where one's statement always comes at the cost of the other. That format of posting is tiring in the thread. Personally not into manager wars.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No I said the closest football to our managers is LVG not that they play the same cos duh it sure as hell isn't Jose's football. That rather they are evolutions of Cruyffian tactics. The dutch managers took inspiration from him. Also said Pep is a more similar comparison because of the freedoms he gives his players. ETH actually said he tried to play like Pep. However make no mistake despite the evolution it is Cruyffian football as in the same way church denominations are a branch of the same religion.

In terms of freedoms LVG tells the players what passes to make where the likes of Pep and ETH allow them to decide however the individuals are still expected to get the goal under those principles not to go totally off script and wing it. Everyone has to be on the same rhythm for any possession style to be effective. Those players with poor discipline and low intelligence could be looking for a new club in 18-24 months. The aptitude for this style cannot simply be taught, there must be a strong foundation in the first place. A player like AWB has no chance, even Rashford might struggle.

I also didn't think about Poch. I'm not trying to get sucked into that blackhole. People need'nt treat these managers like that where one's statement always comes at the cost of the other. That format of posting is tiring in the thread. Personally not into manager wars.
Van Gaal never took inspiration from Cruyff but rather both LVG and Cruyff built upon the ideas of Rinus Michel's. Cruyff and Van Gaal were at loggerheads on many things and weren't on talking terms.

Like I said previously, the only comparison between LVG and ten Hag is the positional play principles. Everything else is very different and the comparison doesn't make sense imo. All our managerial appointments post Fergie have been managers, who adopted a reactive approach to the game and had far more in common with one another than they did with ten Hag, who looks to implement a imposing game in a high defensive line. It's a big difference imo.

Whether it's ten Hag or Poch or anyone else,it looks like we'll finally get a head coach who implements modern day principles, and that can only be a good thing.

Greck

Van Gaal never took inspiration from Cruyff but rather both LVG and Cruyff built upon the ideas of Rinus Michel's. Cruyff and Van Gaal were at loggerheads on many things and weren't on talking terms.

Like I said previously, the only comparison between LVG and ten Hag is the positional play principles. Everything else is very different and the comparison doesn't make sense imo. All our managerial appointments post Fergie have been managers, who adopted a reactive approach to the game and had far more in common with one another than they did with ten Hag, who looks to implement a imposing game in a high defensive line. It's a big difference imo.

Whether it's ten Hag or Poch or anyone else,it looks like we'll finally get a head coach who implements modern day principles, and that can only be a good thing.
Wait wait, this one is a very unnecessary issue to litigate. "Of the managers we have sacked the closest football to ETH is LVG" doesn't mean "LVG and ETH are the same.". First post already said they are different and Pep's football is a more suitable comparison to ETH than LVG because of how different they are. So for the 4th time I have to reiterate I know they aren't the same, it doesn't have to keep coming up because I am acknowledging that. This is an interpretation issue. I don't care about LVG also didn't know whose brainchild it was, however his name is only relevant here as a loose comparison reference point. Eg the closest manager we've had to Simeone is Jose doesn't say they are the same. It simply exists as a loose comparison.

Also focused on Ten Haag since the reports are Arnold is leaning towards him so the Poch debates can go by the wayside. In my head me ETH is now our top candidate.

Last edited:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
What I prefer with Klopp, compared to Pep, is how direct and fast they attack. That was something I really enjoyed with Man Utds good sides. I also think Klopp would be better suited to our squad than Pep.

In that regard, I think ETH is more similar to Pep. So, while I do think ETH would be great, I’m not sure he would be a «perfect» match for us currently.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Wait wait, this one is a very unnecessary issue to litigate. "Of the managers we have sacked the closest football to ETH is LVG" doesn't mean "LVG and ETH are the same.". First post already said they are different and Pep's football is a more suitable comparison to ETH than LVG because of how different they are. So for the 4th time I have to reiterate I know they aren't the same, it doesn't have to keep coming up because I keep telling you that. This is an interpretation issue. I don't care about LVG but also didn't know whose brainchild it was, however his name is only relevant here as a reference point.
I'll say you're still wrong and the football played under Ole was closest to the football ten Hag implements due to the pace of the game and attempting to apply pressure. Rangnick's way of playing is even closer, due to Rangnick like ten Hag wanting to adopt a compact high block in a vertical axis with high pressing capabilities.

Greck

I'll say you're still wrong and the football played under Ole was closest to the football ten Hag implements due to the pace of the game and attempting to apply pressure. Rangnick's way of playing is even closer, due to Rangnick like ten Hag wanting to adopt a compact high block in a vertical axis with high pressing capabilities.
Ole closest to ETH? I don't know about that but alright, thumbs up. Good take. Look forward to our next interaction.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I would still rather have Zidane oddly, someone who is bigger than all of our ego's and that's because this board won't hand control over to someone like RR & ETH, who would have been my first choice but if they don't get the power to make the changes then they won't have the impact you want. ETH has a brilliant setup at Ajax and I don't think he will be afforded the same power here, someone like Poch will just be happy to get the job and be the next fall guy whereas someone like Zidane would instantly earn the players respect at least..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ole similar to ETH? I don't know anything about that but alright, thumbs up. Good take. Look forward to our next interaction.
Closest to ten Hag out of LVG, Mourinho and Ole? It's definitely Ole for me because the prominent coach under Ole was McKenna and if you watch ten Hag's team play, they're a mix of zone control and fast transitions. Ten Hag has even setup to counter attack and isn't wedded to possession play as some think. I'd describe him as a cross between Guardiola/Klopp. LVG's football was based around positional play with a low risk horizontal mindset in possession, which was far removed from the uber vertical approach we see from the likes of ten Hag and Enrique.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
As much as some on here want him now, pitchforks will be out within that timeframe if he doesn't have some sort of immediate success/impact. They'll claim otherwise but it'll be a lie.

Judas

Open to offers
As much as some on here want him now, pitchforks will be out within that timeframe if he doesn't have some sort of immediate success/impact. They'll claim otherwise but it'll be a lie.
Yep. The amount of abuse Carrick got when he had what two games in charge? It was embarrassing, and those same people are probably the ones now saying we should have stuck with him for the rest of the season.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yep. The amount of abuse Carrick got when he had what two games in charge? It was embarrassing, and those same people are probably the ones now saying we should have stuck with him for the rest of the season.
It felt like people actively wanted Carrick to fail because they were worried about another Ole situation. :lol:

wolvored

If that was guaranteed and you could see after 2 summer windows we were going in that direction then we would all be patient with that

Cloud7

Possession football is my favorite type of football so for me the patience will always be there.

For The fanbase as a whole, I think once we can see a sense of direction then the patience will be there. With Pep for example, even if he looked shaky at first, you could see what he was building towards. The only manager who’s been here who actually looked like building towards anything was Vangle. The big issue for him was his scattergun approach to transfers which resulted in his almost finished project looking quite impotent.

I agree that a fair few of our players now won’t be able to fit into an approach like that, and I am okay with that. Let them seek their futures elsewhere.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Ole closest to ETH? I don't know about that but alright, thumbs up. Good take. Look forward to our next interaction.
I think Ajax current style is quite close to what Ole wanted to play, but did not have a clue how to implement, so in that way it fits.

What we could see on the pitch obviously was quite different.

Status
Not open for further replies.