Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Have you been watching them? You've cited three players as if they're building their squad around golden oldies. Two of those players, Alves and Auba, are fulfilling short term needs. Once Barcelona's financial issues get better they'll obviously be upgraded on.

As for Adama, he was signed because Xavi sets up the team to place his widemen in 1v1 duels in wide areas. This is to create opportunities in the half space for underlaps. Adama's pace and power is a weapon that can be used within the context of Xavi's system, especially in Spanish football where his physicality is less easy to cope with than in the Premier League. He was a gettable option for a short term problem. Again, as Barcelona's financial situation improves, he'll likely be replaced.

Nothing Barcelona has done has smacked of opportunism or short sightedness. Xavi knows what type of football he wants to play. He's not just getting Alexis Sanchez because he's getable and then thinking: 'Hm, where can I play him?' As I said the puzzle pieces all fit together and all that will happen, as Barca goes forward, is better pieces will be brought in to replace the ones that went before.
Auba, Alves and Christensen are opportunistic signings. Of course he can find a place for these players and I won't argue they haven't (or won't) improved the team.

But a lot aren't going to be around next season and he'll need to start again on the longer term signings, which is why I'm not going to commit to any firm confidence in Barcelona's direction yet.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Have you been watching them? You've cited three players as if they're building their squad around golden oldies. Two of those players, Alves and Auba, are fulfilling short term needs. Once Barcelona's financial issues get better they'll obviously be upgraded on.

As for Adama, he was signed because Xavi sets up the team to place his widemen in 1v1 duels in wide areas. This is to create opportunities in the half space for underlaps. Adama's pace and power is a weapon that can be used within the context of Xavi's system, especially in Spanish football where his physicality is less easy to cope with than in the Premier League. He was a gettable option for a short term problem. Again, as Barcelona's financial situation improves, he'll likely be replaced.

Nothing Barcelona has done has smacked of opportunism or short sightedness. Xavi knows what type of football he wants to play. He's not just getting Alexis Sanchez because he's getable and then thinking: 'Hm, where can I play him?' As I said the puzzle pieces all fit together and all that will happen, as Barca goes forward, is better pieces will be brought in to replace the ones that went before.

Woodward also wanted to be credited with bringing United back to greatness. Wanting something, knowing how to achieve it and having the ability to do it are all different things.
Which is why they need to listen to somebody like Ralf who has built football teams before, not do it by listening to agents, been too much of that and the media. Listen to your scouts for once.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Which is why they need to listen to somebody like Ralf who has built football teams before, not do it by listening to agents, been too much of that and the media. Listen to your scouts for once.
I agree. I just don't think they will listen to Ralf. Very little of what's happened since Rangnick arrived suggests he has significant influence upstairs. I imagine his 'consultancy' will turn out to be little more than hot air come June.

Roario

If Ten Hag wants the job it's his. Every other manager would be working against the fanbase from the get-go.
All the polls on who fans want have been overwhelmingly in favor of Ten Hag. This will sway the club and managers' decisions.
I doubt Poch will take the job if he knows the fanbase doesn't want him here.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
As far as I'm concerned sell the majority of the first team if it means we can get ETH. Let him build us in his style. Poch would be another Ole, we'll play good in a run of games but still get bizarre results against the lower half teams that will cost us. I reckon the team would down tools with Enrique very quickly.
What makes you think that?

Womp

idiot
Poch will get sacked and we will sign him as he'll be available. Just very unfortunate timing. I have no hope they'll be able to see the bigger picture and will hold off on blowing their load. Poch is a decent manager who has underwhelmed for a few years now. On the other side, you have a coach whose teams are competing with the best in Europe on a much lesser budget today. A coach who has managed to continue being competitive despite his team being decimated and a coach who has a more progressive and identifiable style.

This talk about it would take years with ETH etc. doesn't concern me either tbf. I personally think, regardless of who they sign, it is going to take time for us to be competitive again. I'd rather give that time to a manager who is by all accounts on the up, rather than one who has stagnated or failed to impress for a few years now. We've tried the latter before in LVG and Jose, both times it turned out that the downwards or stagnant trajectories weren't exceptions.

Corridor of Uncertainty

I guess we'll see how much influence Ralf really has at the club soon. There's not a single situation where I see him suggesting Poch to be the right man to take us forward. If we go and appoint him, then it'll show bringing Ralf here under the pretence that we've now moved to a move footballing based structure was more PR and lies to appease the fans.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
If Ten Hag wants the job it's his. Every other manager would be working against the fanbase from the get-go.
All the polls on who fans want have been overwhelmingly in favor of Ten Hag. This will sway the club and managers' decisions.
He may turn out to be a good manager but I find the certainty so bizarre. How many fans here have a genuine knowledge of Dutch football. Very, very few I’d guess, maybe 1%. And even for those who do have a good knowledge, how can you be confident that it would translate via to Prem success? I’m not saying he’d be good OR bad, I’m just so surprised at the amount of airtime he gets on here.

Womp

idiot
He may turn out to be a good manager but I find the certainty so bizarre. How many fans here have a genuine knowledge of Dutch football. Very, very few I’d guess, maybe 1%. And even for those who do have a good knowledge, how can you be confident that it would translate via to Prem success? I’m not saying he’d be good OR bad, I’m just so surprised at the amount of airtime he gets on here.
Nothing is certain, no matter who we end up settling on for the managerial position. The confidence comes from him being the most exciting option due to his approach to the game. He will build a side that are extremely well drilled, play an attacking possession style and will attempt to go head to head with the best of teams. He's also shown he's able to get more out of the sum of his parts as he's regularly able to at least be competitive against teams with far bigger budgets in Europe.

Lastly - his style is very similar to other progressive possession based coaches and from what we've seen - they tend to do alright in the premier league.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I wouldn't be judging Poch on his PSG stint. I think a lot of managers will struggle with the current player set up but more with the people running the club. He should be judged on his Southampton and Spurs tenure until Levy decided he didn't need to back him further. My only worry is if the PSG job has soured his outlook like the Real job did with Jose.

Pearl.Jam

I'm going to say something that people might laugh at -

But if we miss out on the Ten Hag, Zidane's, Pochettino's, Enriques and Tuchels -

Then someone I might be excited to see is the return of Michael Carrick.
Put down that crack pipe and step away from the keyboard!

Last edited:

Roario

All I know is that the united board and owners value public opinion a lot more after the super league fiasco. Given two similar options, they will choose the most popular one. Just look at transfers. How many transfers have we made in recent years that the fans didn't push for?

I’m loving my life

The news that players and the board want Poch is both depressingly predictable and profoundly moronic. They are utter self absorbed idiots and to be honest they only care about the millions of pounds they take home as payment of making our club shit (board and players, to a man)

I would happily go without top 4 / trophies for a couple of years, if ETH came in to change things for the long term.

We will now see what the club is made of.

It is either appointing a short term fix to perpetuate syphoning cash into the Glazers pockets based on the goodwill of the fans, maybe getting top 4, but ultimately ensuring that we remain as shit as we have been for a decade now

OR

Look to the future, put football before revenue, selling shirts and rewarding failure with the highest salaries in world football, and keeping dross on lifelong contract extensions. We need a progressive manager who puts football first and looks forward, and we need Rangnick to stay and offset the gluttony and incompetence of our board, and the other simpletons who direct our club.

Over to you, MUFC, but I don’t hold out any hope.

How sad

Coops73

I hate how the journos are saying Poch is the players' choice.
It should not matter who they want. Bunch of cnuts.
If I was Murtough or Arnold I’d go completely opposite to what these knobheads want.

MUFC OK

I'm going to say something that people might laugh at -

But if we miss out on the Ten Hag, Zidane's, Pochettino's, Enriques and Tuchels -

Then someone I might be excited to see is the return of Michael Carrick.
The team showed more personality in those 3 interim games than they have all season.

I’m with you on this one.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Hmm. I think some top managers are going to become available towards and at the end of this season. I would hold fire.
Don't really see the point in waiting, we decide who we try to convince to stay in the summer, plus who comes in and plan a proper pre-season. Also Ralf could potentially start training things that the new manager will bring into next season now, concepts and drills. The sooner we start that, the shorter the transition time.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Nothing is certain, no matter who we end up settling on for the managerial position. The confidence comes from him being the most exciting option due to his approach to the game. He will build a side that are extremely well drilled, play an attacking possession style and will attempt to go head to head with the best of teams. He's also shown he's able to get more out of the sum of his parts as he's regularly able to at least be competitive against teams with far bigger budgets in Europe.

Lastly - his style is very similar to other progressive possession based coaches and from what we've seen - they tend to do alright in the premier league.
You might well be right, and I’d certainly not bet against it, I just find the level of expectation of what he could do that other managers couldn’t to be a bit over the top. But clearly you have to try something, I’m not saying it’s a bad choice at all.

D. Mungai

What will constitute to a "Prem success" according to you?
A coach who has had success in Premier league before?

Almost all managers who have won premier league, have come from overseas.

We need to believe

BorisManUtd

I'd say club is doing interviews with few candidates and waiting to see how far can Ajax go in the CL. Another semifinals like in 2019 and surely we're going with ten Hag.

L1nk

Simply have a gut feeling some managers will leave unexpectedly. And if the UK Government don't back down, I cannot see Tuchel at Chelsea next season.
I'd be surprised if he up and left them considering they might not be able to hire anyone else - doesn't seem the type, though would welcome Tuchel here

joedirt87

I'd have him before Poch anyway.
I like Ancelotti but the talent here compared to Madrid is worlds apart and I just don’t see him sticking around long enough to build something that turns United into a winner. I see an outcome far more like his time at Everton then his previous winning spells at other clubs.

DanClancy

Most match going fans I know want Poch

mctrials23

Carrick, wow, my mind is blown. I'm genuinely flabbergasted that anyone in their right mind would seriously suggest Carrick.

People have a fantastically low amount of respect for the difficulty of being a manager and how little crossover there is between being a good player and being an elite manager.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Simply have a gut feeling some managers will leave unexpectedly. And if the UK Government don't back down, I cannot see Tuchel at Chelsea next season.
Hmm. I wonder, apart from Tuchel, who else are you thinking? And Tuchel, I can't imagine there won't be some solution that will grant Chelsea more operating freedom again, and I also don't think Tuchel will leave just like that to joing a league rival. Not impossible of course.

DanClancy

Did they say why? Purely anecdotal but the few I've spoken to all have their preferences, but none wanted Poch.

Its fair to say the global fanbase were vehemently against appointing him too.
Not many alternatives, the structure Ten Hag benefits from at Ajax won't be replicated at OT.

Kaos

Hmm. I wonder, apart from Tuchel, who else are you thinking? And Tuchel, I can't imagine there won't be some solution that will grant Chelsea more operating freedom again, and I also don't think Tuchel will leave just like that to joing a league rival. Not impossible of course.
Yeah this is a point that hasn't been discussed tbh. While its feasible that Tuchel could leave Chelsea by the end of the season, why are we so sure he'd willingly join us? He seems to have developed a strong rapport with the Chelsea fans, so it would be a bit of a dick move for him to jump ship and join a domestic rival. Not saying it wouldn't happen, but he strikes me as being a bit more honest than that. And realistically, he is well within his right to think he can get a better job than us - why would he leave the reigning European champions to join what will likely be a Europa team at best with a broken squad and toxic dressing room?

Status
Not open for further replies.