Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can always trust the Man Utd board to sign someone 5/10 years too late

- Van Gaal
- Mourinho
- Sanchez
- Schweinstiger
- Ibrahimovic
- Ronaldo

and now Poch…

United in sin

If you're not building to be the very best what's the point. I don't believe for a second a title will come with Poch, unless he sticks around long enough for Pep and Klopp's decline and/or their replacements totally shit the bed, but that seems highly unlikely.

The way he's seemingly coped with PSG's team of big egos is such a massive red flag. Unless we really do rip this squad apart and start again, which we must do.
Which previous PSG manager has coped well with their egocentric players and Leonardo? They routinely feck up in the CL no matter who's in charge. The PSG experience will serve Poch well in my opinion. He'll come back to the PL an even better manager building on his time at Spurs. He's still young too, a few years younger than Ten Hag

Revaulx

Which previous PSG manager has coped well with their egocentric players and Leonardo? They routinely feck up in the CL no matter who's in charge. The PSG experience will serve Poch well in my opinion. He'll come back to the PL an even better manager building on his time at Spurs. He's still young too, a few years younger than Ten Hag
Or the experience will have done a Jose on him and left him jaded and bitter.

I know that what doesn’t kill you is supposed to make you stronger, but these days it doesn’t seem to happen in football that much. Promising managers who have poor or underwhelming stints rarely seem to recover from them.

Tuchel at PSG might be an exception, but he seems to have been sacked for reasons other than poor performance so his case isn’t really comparable.

reddevilz007

Yep, Poch can go back to Spurs, and we take Ten Hag. We need an evolution in the way we play, not the recycling that Poch would bring.

Poch will rely on individual brilliance, something we have been too familiar with in the last years. Whereas Ten Hag would bring collective effort, which is the foundation of all successful big clubs in Europe.

Revaulx

We get Poch and our football and recruitment gets substantially better
Football: if he can wind the clock back and get us playing like his Southampton side I’ll be overjoyed. It seems to have been a while since any of his sides have played consistently decent football though. Spurs were pretty dull and pragmatic in his last couple of seasons, and PSG have been nothing to write home about.

Recruitment: I’m not sure what you’re basing this on? When has he shown that he can be good at recruitment? It seems that he had little say at Spurs while Paul Mitchell was there, and after the latter had left without replacement the players signed under Poch’s watch were two midfielders; one a crock, the other a disaster.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Or the experience will have done a Jose on him and left him jaded and bitter.

I know that what doesn’t kill you is supposed to make you stronger, but these days it doesn’t seem to happen in football that much. Promising managers who have poor or underwhelming stints rarely seem to recover from them.

Tuchel at PSG might be an exception, but he seems to have been sacked for reasons other than poor performance so his case isn’t really comparable.
Has it ever happened in Football? What you describe is the difference between a promising manager and confirmed top manager. It has always been like that or at least I don't remember it being ever different.

Revaulx

Has it ever happened in Football? What you describe is the difference between a promising manager and confirmed top manager. It has always been like that or at least I don't remember it being ever different.
If SAF had been sacked by United following the disappointments of his second and third full seasons I’m sure he’d have bounced back elsewhere. Or maybe by your definition he wasn’t a confirmed top manager at that stage.

saivet

If we get Ten Hag would he be our most popular appointment? I don't think many were clamouring for Moyes, LVG or Ole before it became inevitable.

With Moyes there was Pep, Carlo and Jose, with Ole there was Poch iirc. I can't recall who were the options for LVG but I don't recall him being a fans choice.

Jose was the probably the most popular choice at the time but I think views were somewhat polarised amongst fans whereas I'm not seeing much or weak push back to ETH.

JPRouve

Scout
If SAF had been sacked by United following the disappointments of his second and third full seasons I’m sure he’d have bounced back elsewhere. Or maybe by your definition he wasn’t a confirmed top manager at that stage.
SAF isn't a good example because his mandate was beyond the first team immediate results. If I'm not mistaken you know that perfectly(I'm not calling you old :p). People sometimes make that point where it's a bit dishonest, becasue SAF was hired with the mission of changing the culture and rebuilding the youth structure alongside Harrison, iirc they got rid of former key players too. He wasn't hired with the intention to immediately take the team to a new level.

Also SAF had confirmed his abilities at Aberdeen, he wasn't just a promising manager that may be successful. It was a young top manager.

SER19

Rangnick still deserves a shout. Would love to see who he weeds out.

ShinjiNinja26

Now this may mean feck all in the grand scheme of things and I’m certainly not advocating Poch but I was watching a video on Stretford Paddock yesterday where they had journalist Carl Anka on as a guest.

One section of the video they were discussing Pochettino as potential new Utd manager, now one thing that stood out for me was Howson said that Rio told him he was surprised by the fact Pochettino seemed to have a real aura about him. People at PSG said he had a big presence on the touch line and in the dressing room which he never expected, something that Ten Hag seems to lack according to the people he spoke to when asking about him.

Now like I said it might mean feck all but we all know the sort of pressures that come with being Utd manager and that attribute may be an important one to have for any potential new guy coming in.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Now this may mean feck all in the grand scheme of things and I’m certainly not advocating Poch but I was watching a video on Stretford Paddock yesterday where they had journalist Carl Anka on as a guest.

One section of the video they were discussing Pochettino as potential new Utd manager, now one thing that stood out for me was Howson said that Rio told him he was surprised by the fact Pochettino seemed to have a real aura about him. People at PSG said he had a big presence on the touch line and in the dressing room which he never expected, something that Ten Hag seems to lack according to the people he spoke to when asking about him.

Now like I said it might mean feck all but we all know the sort of pressures that come with being Utd manager and that attribute may be an important one to have for any potential new guy coming in.
You can't say things like that around here. Read your audience! :lol:

JPRouve

Scout

I'm gonna bang that drum again but you don't find it suspiscious that this supposed aura has led to nearly no silverware?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Promising managers who have poor or underwhelming stints rarely seem to recover from them.
Has it ever happened in Football?
To be fair, it’s not at the ‘world class’ level the posters above are referring to, but Marco Silva is doing a sterling job at Fulham after a horrid time at Everton which led to practically everyone writing off the promising work he had previously done with Hull and Watford. Fulham are nailed on to return to the Premier League next season and he has them scoring a boatload every week in the Championship. Mitrovic has broken the Championship’s individual scoring record already and there’s still 11 (eleven!) games to go.

Silva may not ever reach the pinnacle of the managerial game but there’s no shame in that. Kudos to him for salvaging his reputation, and dare I say, enhancing it over the past twelve months. Ditto Moyes with his current West Ham work. Two fantastic managers at their level but somehow people feel the need to belittle their achievements, or lack thereof. Everything is relative, after all.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Maybe they meant odour.

ShinjiNinja26

I'm gonna bang that drum again but you don't find it suspiscious that this supposed aura has led to nearly no silverware?
Like I said it might mean feck all and probably does as you say he’s won practically nothing but I just thought it was an interesting point and something I and I’m sure a lot of people wouldn’t have expected from Poch. It may be the reason he lands and is constantly linked to these big jobs.

AneRu

Those intangibles are great when added to an adequate main dish which is the football. I think most who are pushing for Pochettino are enamored with what he did at So'ton and Spurs up until 2019 but something he hasn't been able to replicate culminating into what will be two sackings.

Ten Hag may not have the charisma that people are looking for but he has shown an ability to imprint an exciting, winning brand of football on multiple teams including the ability to rebuild a decimated side. You have to have some form of above average interpersonal skill to be able to communicate your vision to so many teams and deliver on the biggest stage like the Bernabeu.

Pochettino is the easier appointment, he will come in and give dross like ones we have polluting the dressing room another chance to infect the next team. He won't have the balls to tell the board that they basically threw £400m down the drain investing in vibes and zero grit. The same players he will accommodate will throw him under the bus in 2025.

JPRouve

Scout
Like I said it might mean feck all and probably does as you say he’s won practically nothing but I just thought it was an interesting point and something I and I’m sure a lot of people wouldn’t have expected from Poch. It may be the reason he lands and is constantly linked to these big jobs.
The presence was already mentioned at Spurs, there are been a multitude of stories about how he demands and gets discipline. One of the stories being about players shaking hands every morning and you can find other things. On that point, anyone claiming that Pochettino is a yes man and that it is why the club wants him, is talking through his backside. He has character and is respected as a person.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35739244

Corridor of Uncertainty

These players better pray that Ralf decides against staying on in his consultancy role. He's got every single one of them sussed ahead of this summer's purge.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
These players better pray that Ralf decides against staying on in his consultancy role. He's got every single one of them twigged ahead of this summer's purge.
Think that is exactly what he has been doing. Looking at players deficiencies and character. He won't have been impressed with some. If there are any leaks bet he has a good idea who it is.

OrcaFat

Yep, Poch can go back to Spurs, and we take Ten Hag. We need an evolution in the way we play, not the recycling that Poch would bring.

Poch will rely on individual brilliance, something we have been too familiar with in the last years. Whereas Ten Hag would bring collective effort, which is the foundation of all successful big clubs in Europe.
I’m no Poch fan but what you say about him isn’t true. He has had the benefit of some very good individual players but he is no more reliant on their brilliance than any other manager. Top teams have brilliant players who do brilliant things and nobody can win anything without them.

laughtersassassin

I really hope we don't go Poch. Just feel it's a few years too late.

The rebuild is now too big again. The cash won't be there and I just don't see it working out.

Tuchel or Ten Haag for me.

The midfield situation will be massive in defining us next season. If VDB McT or Fred are starting every week we won't be improving much if at all.

laughtersassassin

You can always trust the Man Utd board to sign someone 5/10 years too late

- Van Gaal
- Mourinho
- Sanchez
- Schweinstiger
- Ibrahimovic
- Ronaldo

and now Poch…
Yeah this is my biggest reason for not wanting Poch as well. We sign managers years too late and come to think of it every striker we sign is also years too late just as their career is in a massive downward spiral.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We aren't winning the league title in the next 3-4 years with Poch or Ten Hag. City are looking at extending Pep's deal and it seems like they are getting Haaland.

We are a top 4 chasing club now. If Poch can get us top 4 consistently the Glazers will be delighted.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
At this point Poch or ETH or whomever it may be, has little bearing on if we will be successful or not. We need to clear out a lot of toxic players, and rebuild midfield. You do that and we're golden.

Revaulx

SAF isn't a good example because his mandate was beyond the first team immediate results. If I'm not mistaken you know that perfectly(I'm not calling you old :p). People sometimes make that point where it's a bit dishonest, becasue SAF was hired with the mission of changing the culture and rebuilding the youth structure alongside Harrison, iirc they got rid of former key players too. He wasn't hired with the intention to immediately take the team to a new level.

Also SAF had confirmed his abilities at Aberdeen, he wasn't just a promising manager that may be successful. It was a young top manager.
Oh I am old!

That wasn’t my point; I wasn’t making it as an excuse for hanging onto underperforming managers. If he’d been sacked for “failing” (and I’m fully aware of the reasons he wasn’t) I don’t think he’d have had any difficulty bouncing back elsewhere, even though his short-term reputation would have been damaged.

laughtersassassin

At this point Poch or ETH or whomever it may be, has little bearing on if we will be successful or not. We need to clear out a lot of toxic players, and rebuild midfield. You do that and we're golden.
I don't see how we can go into next season with a better team to be honest.

Will cost us about 200+ million to do so.

JPRouve

Scout
Oh I am old!

That wasn’t my point; I wasn’t making it as an excuse for hanging onto underperforming managers. If he’d been sacked for “failing” (and I’m fully aware of the reasons he wasn’t) I don’t think he’d have had any difficulty bouncing back elsewhere, even though his short-term reputation would have been damaged.
But SAF wasn't a promising manager. SAF was comparable to Klopp when he left Dortmund.

Revaulx

I’m no Poch fan but what you say about him isn’t true. He has had the benefit of some very good individual players but he is no more reliant on their brilliance than any other manager. Top teams have brilliant players who do brilliant things and nobody can win anything without them.
Absolutely. I’ve always had some reservations about him despite his obvious strengths, and his performance at PSG has given me major doubts about how he would cope at United. Some of the stuff he’s now being accused of makes no sense whatever though.

Another example is people maintaining that his success at Spurs was down to the foundations liad by Tim Sherwood :houllier:

Sviken

I don't know what aura Poch has on the training ground, but in the interviews Ten Hag comes across far better. He speaks with the authority, confidence and style of Pep while maintaning an absolute winning mentality. This is what impressed me the most, even before the amazing football he practices with Ajax. In contrast, Poch appears to be of Ole's mould - he's dour, happy to be around guy but not one that will really push you towards shooting for the stars. Maybe that's why our band of loser players like him. I was shocked when someone here posted an interview inw hich Poch basically said "trophies don't matter, they're just an ego thing" or something. That's straight out of Ole's playbook. That kind of manager is never going to take us anywhere.

OrcaFat

Absolutely. I’ve always had some reservations about him despite his obvious strengths, and his performance at PSG has given me major doubts about how he would cope at United. Some of the stuff he’s now being accused of makes no sense whatever though.

Another example is people maintaining that his success at Spurs was down to the foundations liad by Tim Sherwood :houllier:
Ha ha, yeah that is totally bizarre.

Rolaholic

I really hope we don't go Poch. Just feel it's a few years too late.

The rebuild is now too big again. The cash won't be there and I just don't see it working out.

Tuchel or Ten Haag for me.

The midfield situation will be massive in defining us next season. If VDB McT or Fred are starting every week we won't be improving much if at all.
It is a few years too late, the time to hire him was late 2018/early 2019 after Jose was sacked.

He would've been coming freshly motivated with a point to prove but of course we chose not to only to want to bring him in after another sack and mentally draining tenure at another big club full of pressure.

Knowing Uniteds MO of always looking backwards into the past insteaf of forwards to the future with the decision making, he'll be hired and we'll be right back here in 3 trophyless years discussing who should replace him.

United in sin

If we get Ten Hag would he be our most popular appointment? I don't think many were clamouring for Moyes, LVG or Ole before it became inevitable.

With Moyes there was Pep, Carlo and Jose, with Ole there was Poch iirc. I can't recall who were the options for LVG but I don't recall him being a fans choice.

Jose was the probably the most popular choice at the time but I think views were somewhat polarised amongst fans whereas I'm not seeing much or weak push back to ETH.
There was a lot of excitement for LVG due to his impressive run to the semifinals of the 2014 world cup with the Netherlands.

Crick

Poch wouldn't be a disaster. He's a good quality manager. Top 3/4 will be much easier with him. The issue is he can't beat Pep or Klopp so there will be no title chance until both of them are gone. Once they are gone, who do City and Liverpool replace them with? Probably a manager who is better than Poch. EtH, Nagelsmann, Enrique, Tuchel? One of them might get their next manager wrong, both of them won't. Therefore if we get Poch it's another 3 to 5 years of not winning the PL or CL. Neither City or Liverpool would recruit Poch as their next manager. That's where the disappointment with Poch on here stems from.

United in sin

Where is the evidence supporting this view that Poch relies on individual brilliance? He's not Solskjaer

Status
Not open for further replies.