Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy_JukeZ

Wonder if Ten Hag would be poachable mid-season or if he's someone you'd have to wait until the summer for.
I just hope we've made some contact or inquired/planned on it.

Clearly Ole isn't the man to lead us to trophies.

We need to have a successor already in the works.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Feck it. Get rid of him now. I love the guy but this isn't the time to let sentimentality get in the way. If we want to start winning stuff again we have to be ruthless. We need a top quality manager. The problem is i don't know who that guy is. Every manager since Fergie has been a dud. We need to get it right this time.
History repeats itself. How many managers did we go through after Busby? Five I think.
You would think they would learn . Apparently not.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
This is absolutely depressing :lol:

Varane, Ronaldo and Sancho added to a squad that just finished 2nd. And the fans are worried about top 4.
I agree. Ronaldo is a great player obviously, but his signing was not needed and just showed United’s obsession with recreating the past.

And if we do decide to bring in a new Head Coach, then it will be the first time post Fergie that we'll be appointing a Head Coach with the likes of Murtough, Bout, Court etc in key positions when it comes to recruitment.
I imagine that Murtough, Bout, and Court wouldn’t have wanted Ronaldo as it shows a complete lack of planning. Are they really in charge of recruitment, and would they have influence over the next managerial choice?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I just hope we've made some contact or inquired/planned on it.

Clearly Ole isn't the man to lead us to trophies.

We need to have a successor already in the works.
In regards to Ten Hag specifically, he's being linked to Barca as well so we'd probably need to be decisive if we wanted him.

I have very little faith in the club's ability to make a call on Ole before results force their hand though. Or indeed their ability to identify the right successor.

Eddy_JukeZ

In regards to Ten Hag specifically, he's being linked to Barca as well so we'd probably need to be decisive if we wanted him.

I have very little faith in the club's ability to make a call on Ole before results force their hand though. Or indeed their ability to identify the right successor.
I would be surprised if Ten Hag went to that train-wreck.

We're a much more enticing option than Barcelona(who need a serious rebuild).

But I also have no faith in who we hire after Ole. I'm like 90% convinced it'll be Poch after PSG fail to win the CL.

The Purley King

Ronaldo did not look happy after the game walking down the tunnel on his own.
With a bit of luck he’ll pull some strings and we can get someone decent in.

Ralph1386

What would you do for the rest of this season? Just leave Ole at it? Hire a caretaker manager? If so, who?
Laurent Blanc as a caretaker? He’s not the very best but surely much better and more proven than what we have.

There must be someone decent we could give a contract until the end of the season before it becomes a write-off.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Laurent Blanc as a caretaker? He’s not the very best but surely much better and more proven than what we have.

There must be someone decent we could give a contract until the end of the season before it becomes a write-off.
Whatever happened to Larry White? He was really highly rated when he started, seems to have disappeared.

Ralph1386

Whatever happened to Larry White? He was really highly rated when he started, seems to have disappeared.
I think he was in Qatar the last I heard. Anyways it was just a suggestion to say there are more decent options.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I agree. Ronaldo is a great player obviously, but his signing was not needed and just showed United’s obsession with recreating the past.
He didn't cost much and I bet his shirt sales justify the salary. He's not a big capital expenditure so different spreadsheet column.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
His team finished 15th last season and currently have 4 points from their first 7 games this time.
Yeah as I said, interesting. But in all seriousness he does have a tough job there, constantly losing his best players, Ings the most recent case.

There isn’t exactly a glut of good names out there though.

wolvored

Sacking Ole won't make McFred any better. Or make VDB into a DM or make Matic's legs work again.

And if you plan to fix that by buying, then why sack Ole anyway since you've fixed the actual problem?

It's not that I rate him, I just don't see the point of changing him for someone who will face the exact same problem.
The thing with that is Ole doesnt see McFred as a problem. He says he trusts them and he reckons he has final say on transfers, so keeping Ole would still have us using McFred and thats why you need to sack Ole in this instance at least.

Foxbatt

He didn't cost much and I bet his shirt sales justify the salary. He's not a big capital expenditure so different spreadsheet column.
The question should be did we need to buy Sancho? We could have spent that money on a quality midfield player. That shows the idiocy of the whole thing. Buffoons the lot of them.

Foxbatt

Yeah as I said, interesting. But in all seriousness he does have a tough job there, constantly losing his best players, Ings the most recent case.

If it is about Hussenhutl, his problem is not their playing but a lack of a goal scorer. It was the same last year too. Lack of quality players. It was the same with B&H. Lack of quality players up front.

2 man midfield

Knowing our luck Blanc would do just enough to get the job permanently and then we’d be in the same spot as we are now 3 years down the line.

The club said after Jose that a long, hard search was underway for a permanent successor. Turns out they didn’t even look outside the stadium.

Caesar2290

His team finished 15th last season and currently have 4 points from their first 7 games this time.
I'm in the Hassenhutl camp. I know stats don't paint a pretty picture, but he always plays proactive football with a Soton side that has no business being in the PL, yet every time we played them(bar that 9-0 win) he went toe to toe with our side and we needed some injury time goals to just to take points of them. One of his biggest hiccups was his defensive naivite. He seems to address that this season. His side is a lot more defensively pragmatic as seen in the games they played against us and City. The man is very similar to Potter in a lot of ways.

But I'm a bit of a realist. He needs to manage a team with bigger resources like Spurs, Everton, Leicester or even Arsenal before he'd be considered a serious candidate here. As of right now he's a really big gamble, but the potential is there. Hell the man went full on Sir Alex when he roasted our dressing room for celebrating an injury time winner against his team and said: "They were celebrating so hard you'd think they'd won a trophy". This to me is a clear indicator that his mentality is top notch and he could handle the transition to a bigger club.

Wonder if Ten Hag would be poachable mid-season or if he's someone you'd have to wait until the summer for.
He'd probably be reluctant to leave Ajax when they are still in the middle of their CL campaign. Also we're not proactive when it comes to managers. So the best bet would be to simply secure his signing and appoint him at the end of the season.

glazed

The question should be did we need to buy Sancho? We could have spent that money on a quality midfield player. That shows the idiocy of the whole thing. Buffoons the lot of them.
I don't think it was stupidity, It was valuefor money. KId has a big resale value and not long left on his contract. I'm sure they will try and buy Bellingham when his contract is a year out too.

Transfer policy is run by spreadsheets at Old Trafford., Tactical need is just one factor among many.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Would be interesting to have a poll about this as well. Options could be Potter, Zidane, Conte, Ten Haag and Eboue

2 man midfield

If it is about Hussenhutl, his problem is not their playing but a lack of a goal scorer. It was the same last year too. Lack of quality players. It was the same with B&H. Lack of quality players up front.
I like the way they play, and he clearly knows how to coach a team as Southampton picked up his style almost instantly if i remember rightly. If he could replicate that here but with better players then who knows where it might take us?

That said, he hasn’t exactly won anything to shout about. He was up against Bayern Munich, mind you.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Meh, I'm not so sure. Zidane, Conte, Ten Hag and Potter are (by different criteria) good choices I think and two of them happen to be unemployed. That's a relatively good selection I think. We've certainly changed managers before at times when worse options were available

Also worth remembering the impact Tuchel had at Chelsea without having been that highly rated beforehand. A German cup win, two Ligue 1 titles and a CL run with PSG are decent but it's not exactly a CV of guaranteed success, yet he still ended up being able to win a CL with Chelsea almost immediately. Whoever we hire doesn't need to be a generational talent to get good results.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

I'm just baffled as to why him not any of the other Premier League managers with similarly dismal records in their tough jobs.
I'm in the Hassenhutl camp. I know stats don't paint a pretty picture, but he always plays proactive football with a Soton side that has no business being in the PL, yet every time we played them(bar that 9-0 win) he went toe to toe with our side and we needed some injury time goals to just to take points of them. One of his biggest hiccups was his defensive naivite. He seems to address that this season. His side is a lot more defensively pragmatic as seen in the games they played against us and City. The man is very similar to Potter in a lot of ways.

But I'm a bit of a realist. He needs to manage a team with bigger resources like Spurs, Everton, Leicester or even Arsenal before he'd be considered a serious candidate here. As of right now he's a really big gamble, but the potential is there. Hell the man went full on Sir Alex when he roasted our dressing room for celebrating an injury time winner against his team and said: "They were celebrating so hard you'd think they'd won a trophy". This to me is a clear indicator that his mentality is top notch and he could handle the transition to a bigger club.
We're not talking xG or something here and teams like Spurs would be mad to look at the guy who on current form is taking Southampton down.

2 man midfield

Meh, I'm not so sure. Zidane, Conte, Ten Hag and Potter are (by different criteria) good choices I think and two of them happen to be unemployed. That's a relatively good selection I think. We've certainly changed managers before at times when worse options were available

Also worth remembering the impact Tuchel had at Chelsea without having been that highly rated beforehand. A German cup win, two Ligue 1 titles and a CL run with PSG are decent but it's not exactly a CV of guaranteed success, yet he still ended up being able to win a CL with Chelsea almost immediately. Whoever we hire doesn't need to be a generational talent to get good results.
All fair points. Who would you go for?

wolvored

Knowing our luck Blanc would do just enough to get the job permanently and then we’d be in the same spot as we are now 3 years down the line.

The club said after Jose that a long, hard search was underway for a permanent successor. Turns out they didn’t even look outside the stadium.
Well 2 things will be different. Woodward will be gone end of the year, and surely they will have learned their lesson being rash handing out the job just because he was an ex player, although Blanc has managed and won at a higher level according to wiki this is his achievements.

Bordeaux
Paris Saint-Germain
Individual

Caesar2290

I'm just baffled as to why him not any of the other Premier League managers with similarly dismal records in their tough jobs.
We're not talking xG or something here and teams like Spurs would be mad to look at the guy who on current form is taking Southampton down.
Because of the way he plays football. He always plays on the front foot and unlike other managers he makes it work especially against the big teams. Aside from the 9-0 hammering, all of our previous encounters have been either draws or wins by a single goal. Here is the interesting thing about the wins: In both cases the winners were scored in the dying minutes of the match indicating that the game was a lot closer that it looked.

So the logic here is simple. If you can make a team like Soton go toe to toe with teams like United or City, what can he do with a team like Manchester United?

2 man midfield

The other managers in the premier league are all unattainable (Pep, Klopp, Tuchel), unthinkable (Rafa, Moyes, Rodgers) uninspiring (Bruce, Dyche) or unhinged (Bielsa).

He’s got the right attitude to attacking football and the sort of energy that Old Trafford wants to see from its teams.

glazed

Well 2 things will be different. Woodward will be gone end of the year, and surely they will have learned their lesson being rash handing out the job just because he was an ex player
You don't get it. Ole's job was to absorb the hate while the Glazers chase money instead of silverware. And he's been a huge success afa they're concerned.

wolvored

You don't get it. Ole's job was to absorb the hate while the Glazers chase money instead of silverware. And he's been a huge success afa they're concerned.
I was on about if Blanc comes in. I was answering another post.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
All fair points. Who would you go for?
I'd tend to lean towards a Ten Hag or Potter type appointment rather than the bigger names like Zidane or Conte.

Basically I want someone who could come in and quickly get us playing a clear, structured, attacking style of football, which means a detail-focused and coaching-orientated appointment. If someone promises that then I'd take the risk on them being able to make the step up from a smaller club and translate that type of football across. And of those types I'm aware of, Ten Hag is probably the best bet having not only won those couple of Dutch titles but also having got that young Ajax side to the CL semi-finals while playing very smart football. He's was/is being linked with jobs like Bayern and Barca for good reason.

Whereas someone like Zidane's strengths seem to lie less in the technical details of how his side actually play and more in his ability to man-manage players, while I'm not sure Conte's set-up and style suit our current players.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The other managers in the premier league are all unattainable (Pep, Klopp, Tuchel), unthinkable (Rafa, Moyes, Rodgers) uninspiring (Bruce, Dyche) or unhinged (Bielsa).

He’s got the right attitude to attacking football and the sort of energy that Old Trafford wants to see from its teams.
:lol:

Has anyone suggested him yet? Given some of the line ups we saw suggested on here after we first signed Ronaldo he'd be the perfect manager for some.

Caesar2290

I'd tend to lean towards a Ten Hag or Potter type appointment rather than the bigger names like Zidane or Conte.

Basically I want someone who could come in and quickly get us playing a clear, structured, attacking style of football, which means a detail-focused and coaching-orientated appointment. If someone promises that then I'd take the risk on them being able to make the step up from a smaller club and translate that type of football across. And of those types I'm aware of, Ten Hag is probably the best bet having not only won those couple of Dutch titles but also having got that young Ajax side to the CL semi-finals while playing very smart football. He's was/is being linked with jobs like Bayern and Barca for good reason.

Whereas someone like Zidane's strengths seem to lie less in the technical details of how his side actually play and more in his ability to man-manage players, while I'm not sure Conte's set-up and style suit our current players.
I second Ten Hag for all the reasons above and simply because we would finally see Donny play and we would probably be able to poach De Jong of Barcelona.

Has anyone suggested him yet? Given some of the line ups we saw suggested on here after we first signed Ronaldo he'd be the perfect manager for some.
They did. Scroll a few pages back to see people seriously discussing Bielsa.

FatTails

Bielsa is insane. He might actually bench Ronaldo because he doesn’t press.

2 man midfield

Totally agree with all of what you’ve said there. I don’t want Zidane for the same reason, i.e he’s basically what we have now in Ole. Possibly harsh on a 3 time CL winner, but we need more than a man manager. We need someone to actually do some coaching, because watching us lately it’s clear we need it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You think they'll be consulted? Are you clued up on what sort of footballing vision any of these hold? I get you're referring to the structure of the club being better than when Ole came into "a fantastically well run club" :wenger: so it will make things smoother in theory.
Just my opinion, but I think they will be consulted and a while back I read a report that United were monitoring several coaches which included Nagelsmann, with Bout and data analyst Mick Court compiling the list. Bout in particular is someone that has vast knowledge of the game and was even a coach and match analyst under the great Jupp Heynckes at Bayern.

I think our fans have become paranoid since Fergie retired and due to a broken structure/outdated scouting and a non existent data analytics department, we as a club were left behind. So that meant the managers we brought in post Fergie, were given control of the recruitment and they made a very poor job of it. So with each managerial change the squad kept getting culled and the football side of the club became more and more destabilised until Murtough (Sports Scientist) finally created the mechanisms to modernise the club and create numerous roles which oversaw the work of around 50 to 60 scouts which included a analytics department who are reported to be a team of 5 working under Mick Court. And when all that came to fruition, the club created a transfer committee which gave the likes of Bout, Court and Lawlor significant power when it comes to the recruitment side and Mourinho had a breakdown.

I think it's very important the people who head the recruitment side are given the opportunity to select a potential incoming head coach. Because the new head coach will have to work with them, and bringing someone in (head coach) who is accustomed to working with a club's existing structure is very important imo. And I honestly believe with the current setup we will go very close to winning the league, if not win it with a new coach who is comfortable working as a head coach rather than a manager. We need to see training ground drills manifest themselves on match days which we haven't seen for too long.

2 man midfield

I remember a fair few on here wanting him after his Bilbao side schooled us in Europe, so it wouldn’t surprise me. But it’s clear he’d be a car crash of an appointment. Also isn’t this the first time in his career he’s stayed longer than a single season at any club he’s been at? He makes Conte look like Mr reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.