Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

I think the star power we now possess will count against OGS this season. Ronaldo and Varane wouldnt want to be caught dead being relegated to Europa League, on top of a highly ambitious Bruno and an equally ambitious Pogba who’s currently on the fence about leaving. I imagine a bunch of the younger guys look up to Ronaldo and will probably follow his lead too.

It may fecked up but it’s the way it goes. Managers are easier to replace than players, especially when you’ve got players like we have. I also think people are really overegging this notion that the players enjoy playing for OGS and him leaving would throw everything out of proportion. There are times I think that’s it’s a bad thing that he seemingly has fallen into the easy trap of any manager in any working environment falls into, in that they become best mates with their workers. Managers are meant to stand apart from their workers, not buddy up with them to that degree.

Its becoming a running joke on here now that we say words like Rashy, Greeny, Varaney, Scotty etc to poke fun at OGS.

soapythecat

Get Pochettino when he inevitably gets sacked from PSG. Tuchel has shown maximising his coaching ability at PSG was very difficult for obvious reasons. He looks a totally different coach now at Chelsea and more like what we saw at Dortmund.

Pochettino comes with his own issues of course but I reckon his experience of now managing a big club and big egos he'd be more ready for a club like us now.
What has Poch done to justify the United job if he gets sacked for not getting a brilliant PSG side to run away with the French league? Surely, he would have the same issues motivating/cultivating big players together at United as he does at PSG? Too big a risk if you ask me.

lloyd2wayne

If we are going with underdogs like Potter then I will suggest Thomas Frank. I love how he talks about the game. His tactical analysis is wonderful to listen and he gets his team to play good football.

He has really bid his time starting from coaching few Danish U 16-18’s all the way to being the assistant at Brentford. He’s now managed to promote Brentford to premier league and are doing alright.

I’m not saying he’s even in my top 8 coaches to go for but a manager to look out for in the future because he will be making the big step up if he continues doing great.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Whoever manages us in the near future will need to revamp our CM anyways so we’ll have to buy either way.

I’ve only seen a few clips explaining Ten Hags system but from what I’ve gathered his setup would not be too far from what we’ve had.

I think Potters 3-5-2 system should suit our squad fantastically well too.
3-5-2 would be superb for Pogba, as I'd see some Juve vibes here. AWB is too weak for being a great wingback and Shaw would be cool as an LCB, Telles as an LB and when necessary, Shaw can go to LWB and Lindelöf-Varane-Maguire as a back 3.

Everybody would rave about playing without wingers and what about our attackers then? We can rotate between different striker styles depending on the opponent - Cavani/Greenwood/Rashford/Ronaldo/Sancho can swap constantly. I'd sell Martial and use Bruno with Pogba in a mid 3. Pogba-Bruno-Donny or when Pogba leaves, Bruno-Donny-McTominay.

I'd love to see a coach who is willing to change the formation more frequently - 3 at the back/front 3, wide players/midfield overload etc.

choccy77

So true. I swear we are the only fans who blame assistant managers for the failure of the manager
I didn't blame the assistant manager, I was simply saying, we need someone who can tactically manage and just let Ole manage the players on a personal level.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Ffs no one said that Ole is equal to SAF, just saying there are some parallels that’s all……all this ‘ how dare you mention anyone else in the same sentence ….’ adds nothing to the debate and is just a lazy no value response that adds nothing, zero to the debate. There have been plenty of clever thought out reasonable responses bit this is just lazy meaningless waste
of space reply.
Your parallels were lazy, Matt. There’s literally no reason to mention SAF. Lots of other valid and reasoned out responses for showing more patience with Ole, outside of bringing SAF, and 6 years, into the discussion.

Flytan

I didn't blame the assistant manager, I was simply saying, we need someone who can tactically manage and just let Ole manage the players on a personal level.
So Ole's job is to be a team psychologist? Come on dude, no other squads operate like that.

JohnnyLaw

3-5-2 would be superb for Pogba, as I'd see some Juve vibes here. AWB is too weak for being a great wingback and Shaw would be cool as an LCB, Telles as an LB and when necessary, Shaw can go to LWB and Lindelöf-Varane-Maguire as a back 3.

Everybody would rave about playing without wingers and what about our attackers then? We can rotate between different striker styles depending on the opponent - Cavani/Greenwood/Rashford/Ronaldo/Sancho can swap constantly. I'd sell Martial and use Bruno with Pogba in a mid 3. Pogba-Bruno-Donny or when Pogba leaves, Bruno-Donny-McTominay.

I'd love to see a coach who is willing to change the formation more frequently - 3 at the back/front 3, wide players/midfield overload etc.
Yes AWB would probably be the biggest loser from the group if we were to go ahead with a system that operates with wing-backs. But he’s almost the only one in our squad who’s likely to struggle due to it IMO. Considering we have the likes of Laird coming through we should be fine though. I also think Elanga could make a damn fine wing-back à la Alphonso Davies, if he can’t fight his way into the forward positions of the squad. He’s got the athleticism and mentality to make that role his own in my eyes.

With Laird and potentially Elanga bursting up the wings and Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho ahead of them, no one should need to complain about our wing-play.

Revan

Assumptionman
Thomas Frank but in truth until we get owners that are actually going to back our managers in the transfer market none of this matters
We have a higher net spent than any other club since Ole was appointed. We have a higher net spent than any other club in the last 5 years. We also have the higher wage bill in any sports team.

Matt851

Thomas Frank but in truth until we get owners that are actually going to back our managers in the transfer market none of this matters
I disagree with this. Without the glazers the club could be spending more, no doubt. However the general consensus is that we have a squad good enough to challenge for the title. There is no doubt we are less than the sum of our parts at the moment. The reason there is a clamour for potter and frank is because through good coaching they are achieving much more than could be expected.

You also have to question the fact the club prioritised a number of positions over cm this summer. I really dont believe ole had nothing to do eith this

choccy77

Re Ole, whatever manager was to come in, they would still have same problems in that we have a huge hole in midfield which at present, no one in the squad is good enough to fix.

We need to buy someone in January (which we won't) in order to resolve and save rest of season.

Instead, United board will be looking at Haaland and Mbappe and trying to sign them instead for Summer leaving an even bigger hole in midfield.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Pep's quitting City in a few years isn't he? We should be all over that.

choccy77

Ronaldo, I came here to win Titles.

Board, we signed Ronaldo to make money.

MrBest

Risky option but Graham Potter is on my list, i think he has done a cracking job and I like his style. Ten Hag, also a good shout, less of a risk, hopefully Barca don't grab him.

I'd stay away from Zidane personally, i dont like his style of football, 100% no to Conte and Rodgers, i don't want no ex Liverpool person leading us.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If they were hypothetically available i would go with Ten Hag. Please not the English Ole.

MrSingh2002

I don't know whose in game management and substitution decisions are worse. Oles or Southgates.

Both very good off the pitch in a setup but shite in game decision makers.

Director of football types maybe but not great readers of a game and what it calls for.

Sviken

I rather Ole stay than have a go at Southgate. They're both the same caliber of managers, only difference is that Ole is at least a United legend. Hope there is zero truth to that but I'm fecking scared. This club is so incompetently run it's unreal.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just my opinion, but I think they will be consulted and a while back I read a report that United were monitoring several coaches which included Nagelsmann, with Bout and data analyst Mick Court compiling the list. Bout in particular is someone that has vast knowledge of the game and was even a coach and match analyst under the great Jupp Heynckes at Bayern.

I think our fans have become paranoid since Fergie retired and due to a broken structure/outdated scouting and a non existent data analytics department, we as a club were left behind. So that meant the managers we brought in post Fergie, were given control of the recruitment and they made a very poor job of it. So with each managerial change the squad kept getting culled and the football side of the club became more and more destabilised until Murtough (Sports Scientist) finally created the mechanisms to modernise the club and create numerous roles which oversaw the work of around 50 to 60 scouts which included a analytics department who are reported to be a team of 5 working under Mick Court. And when all that came to fruition, the club created a transfer committee which gave the likes of Bout, Court and Lawlor significant power when it comes to the recruitment side and Mourinho had a breakdown.

I think it's very important the people who head the recruitment side are given the opportunity to select a potential incoming head coach. Because the new head coach will have to work with them, and bringing someone in (head coach) who is accustomed to working with a club's existing structure is very important imo. And I honestly believe with the current setup we will go very close to winning the league, if not win it with a new coach who is comfortable working as a head coach rather than a manager. We need to see training ground drills manifest themselves on match days which we haven't seen for too long.
Thanks for the informative reply. I agree that the hope is footballing people making footballing decisions. Would be interested to know what they think of our general level of performance over the last year or two. Would also be quite intriguing to know whether any of them have tried to put forth the case to address midfield, which is clearly an enormous issue for Ole.

While I agree with you that the most important feature of a new manager should be positive entertaining football, they'll still have to be able to handle the pressure that comes with this job. Which makes it quite tricky. As is, Ole is doing neither. He's dealt with the pressure well up until this season when expectations were finally externally enforced upon us (thankfully) due to the signings made.

What do you think will come of the coaching staff if a new manager comes in? I've not seen any interviews with (or articles on) Carrick and McKenna, other than early days on Mckenna when he was making the grade as a youth coach.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Zidane is who I think they will try and get should Ole get the boot. Not necessarily my first choice but he's somebody the club might think can handle these stellar names we have as he was arguably the most stellar name in his generation and has proven to be a good coach too.

I can't emphasize how bad of a fit that Conte is for our club and anyone who think he's right for our club in particular must have been living on cloud cuckoo land for years. That has car crash quicker than Jose written all over it. He would clash with all our execs it would be a circus.

I'd quite like to see Ten Haag or Marco Rose given the job in the summer if Ole doesn't kick on but I reckon it will be Zidane. Poch possibly if PSG pull the trigger on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.