Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
How do people believe such certainties that this or that guy will have us winning the title or playing excellent football? Like Zidane who won nothing last year.

Flytan

How do people believe such certainties that this or that guy will have us winning the title or playing excellent football? Like Zidane who won nothing last year.
I think because we're making top 4 with a bottom of the barrel manager that any respectable manager would have won something with the same time/investment.

Eddy_JukeZ

There are no managerial certainties.

Also, Zidane has a proven resume while he had the toughest job in club football.

Leftback99

I think because we're making top 4 with a bottom of the barrel manager that any respectable manager would have won something with the same time/investment.
And again. Why would they have overcome record breaking Liverpool and City sides in the last two and a half years with an inferior squad?

Leftback99

Also, Zidane has a proven resume while he had the toughest job in club football.
Exactly.

I predict he'd have as as unsuccessful a time here as he did last season. His CL winning Madrid team was on another level to what we have.

Eddy_JukeZ

Exactly.

I predict he'd have as as unsuccessful a time here as he did last season. His CL winning Madrid team was on another level to what we have.
He still had a much better season than Ole's ever accomplished though.

He came back and won La Liga while significantly improving their defensive record, challenged for La Liga again and got to the CL semi-finals.

That is levels above Ole.

TrueRed79

Conte, Simeone get mentions. What in the actual fcuk are you posters on? They would be the biggest anti-utd appointments you could ask for. Absolutely no way would i want either of them near this club. We tried that approach with Jose. Luis Enrique is a good shout, along with Ten Hag. Whatever happens Ole unfortunately isn't the man to take the next step. That is as clear as day now. I don't want this to end badly and i hope he turns it around, but the warning signs have ben there for a good while now.

Flytan

And again. Why would they have overcome record breaking Liverpool and City sides in the last two and a half years with an inferior squad?
My bad, thought you just said trophies, not titles. I do think our squad is better than Liverpool though

Leftback99

He still had a much better season than Ole's ever accomplished though.

He came back and won La Liga while significantly improving their defensive record, challenged for La Liga again and got to the CL semi-finals.

That is levels above Ole.
Doesn't mean he'd replicate it in the PL against superior opposition than La Liga.

Leftback99

My bad, thought you just said trophies, not titles. I do think our squad is better than Liverpool though
Maybe now in attacking depth, but theirs is more balanced. It definitely hasn't been better in the last few years though.

marktan

With one of the best first XIs in modern football.
He won't have that at United.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Conte, Simeone get mentions. What in the actual fcuk are you posters on? They would be the biggest anti-utd appointments you could ask for. Absolutely no way would i want either of them near this club. We tried that approach with Jose. Luis Enrique is a good shout, along with Ten Hag. Whatever happens Ole unfortunately isn't the man to take the next step. That is as clear as day now. I don't want this to end badly and i hope he turns it around, but the warning signs have ben there for a good while now.
I still think Ole should be given credit for doing a lot of good work, but I am slowly coming round to your way of thinking.

It feels like Rodgers at Liverpool - we need to appoint a Klopp.

RUCK4444

People want Zidane and Conte?

Ive always said I’d only consider replacing Ole if we had a perfect fit replacement waiting in the wings (baring us going entirely off the rails) and I don’t describe those two as a perfect fit here.

Zidane did well with one of the best squads in CL history, not sure he even fancies a job away from Madrid. Conte is a good manager but he would come here destroy the rebuild, fall out with everybody and leave us years behind on another rebuild. Both are major risks.

Eddy_JukeZ

With one of the best first XIs in modern football.
He won't have that at United.
Not in his 2nd stint at Real.

And plenty of managers had the Real job in the past decade. None did what Zidane did.

And our first XI is pretty good.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Who are the relevant options? Odds checker has these names, which includes a mix of unrealistic and incredibly poor options:

Pochettino
Rodgers
Zidane
Southgate
Conte
Rangnick
Carrick
Blanc
Enrique
ten Hag
Hasenhuttl
Howe
Lampard
Butt
Low
Deschamps
Wenger
Marsch

Eventually (as soon as possible) we will need someone who has a very good record at top level, whether that's overachieving with certain teams or doing the business at top clubs. Of the latter, you obviously have Zidane and Conte, while Enrique is an interesting option. Of the former there are Rodgers, ten Hag, Bosz, even Hasenhuttl, while Rangnick could be an actual caretaker manager (if he were subsequently employed in another executive capacity).

Nagelsmann obviously gone to the club he was likely to really "come home" to, Rose joining Dortmund, are there other managers missing from that list who have shown they get more out of their teams than what's there on paper? Potter has obviously done that, but nowhere close to the level the other two have, or ten Hag and Bosz.

I'd quite like a new poll on who people want as the next manager, with unrealistic options not included.

Mainoldo

Who are the relevant options? Odds checker has these names, which includes a mix of unrealistic and incredibly poor options:

Pochettino
Rodgers
Zidane
Southgate
Conte
Rangnick
Carrick
Blanc
Enrique
ten Hag
Hasenhuttl
Howe
Lampard
Butt
Low
Deschamps
Wenger
Marsch

Eventually (as soon as possible) we will need someone who has a very good record at top level, whether that's overachieving with certain teams or doing the business at top clubs. Of the latter, you obviously have Zidane and Conte, while Enrique is an interesting option. Of the former there are Rodgers, ten Hag, Bosz, even Hasenhuttl, while Rangnick could be an actual caretaker manager (if he were subsequently employed in another executive capacity).

Nagelsmann obviously gone to the club he was likely to really "come home" to, Rose joining Dortmund, are there other managers missing from that list who have shown they get more out of their teams than what's there on paper? Potter has obviously done that, but nowhere close to the level the other two have, or ten Hag and Bosz.

I'd quite like a new poll on who people want as the next manager, with unrealistic options not included.
All those managers are better than Ole. So who cares. Who’s managing top of League 1? He’s better than Ole.

Would love a new pole. I’m going with Rodgers for now.

The One and Only

How many more excuses are people going to make for Ole.. I suspect it's going to be like after LVG and Jose. Even after they were sacked, there were some people who still believed that they were the right men for the job. It's infuriating.

The truth is that all of us desperately wanted Ole to succeed. Personally, he's responsible for the best footballing moment of my life. Ole is a legend is at this club and will always be. Nothing's going to change that

But the bitter truth is that he is not the best man for the job. It's been 3 years and its clear as day. Most people have accepted it ...some people are still in denial. He will be sacked eventually. Hopefully we get the next appointment right

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Pochettino
Rodgers
Zidane
Southgate
Conte
Rangnick
Carrick
Blanc
Enrique
ten Hag
Hasenhuttl
Howe
Lampard
Butt
Low
Deschamps
Wenger
Marsch

Imagine the meltdown if Nicky Butt from the Odds Checker list is brought in..

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
We need to set sentiment aside. All the other clubs do it and that’s why they are successful. It’s clear Ole isn’t going to improve cause he works with the same rookie staff with same ideas. They can’t think outside the box. They think having top players on the pitch is going to make a difference. That’s not sustainable. We need a clear plan on the pitch and Ole isn’t the manager with a plan.

hobbers

Imagine the meltdown if Nicky Butt from the Odds Checker list is brought in..
Him and Carrick are there because of the chance of either of them being named interim manager.

But then hey, we had an interim no one thought was good enough to be permanent manager here and we gave him a 3 year contract 2 months before his trial period ended, so who even knows any more.

Pochettino
Conte
Enrique
ten Hag

These are the names of the would-be serious contenders. Depending on how happy Poch is in Paris of course.

Leftback99

Pochettino
Rodgers
Zidane
Southgate
Conte
Rangnick
Carrick
Blanc
Enrique
ten Hag
Hasenhuttl
Howe
Lampard
Butt
Low
Deschamps
Wenger
Marsch

Such an uninspiring list with Southgate as 4th favourite. Just shows the problem until someone really stands out from the crowd.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'd be happy with either Ten Hag, Ruben Amorim or even Potter from Brighton due to me liking their approach to the game.

OleGunnar20

Him and Carrick are there because of the chance of either of them being named interim manager.

But then hey, we had an interim no one thought was good enough to be permanent manager here and we gave him a 3 year contract 2 months before his trial period ended, so who even knows any more.

Pochettino
Conte
Enrique
ten Hag

These are the names of the would-be serious contenders. Depending on how happy Poch is in Paris of course.
I'd drop Conte and add Potter to that list personally. I think all four would build on what Ole has started here and have us competing (Ten Hag a bit of an unknown to me though), whereas Conte would tear shite up in his usual manner. Not a good idea I think.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Such an uninspiring list with Southgate as 4th favourite. Just shows the problem until someone really stands out from the crowd.
Some interesting names still:

Personally intrigued by Zidane, Enrique, ten Hag and Hasenhuttl, for different reasons.

I know Hasenhuttl has had some diabolical results, but the way Southampton have been run during his reign is nothing short of asset stripping and gross negligence. I think he's managed to get a team playing better than the sum of its parts, running into the ground for him, and we haven't really seen that at United regularly in the last 8 years.

Enrique I would be very interesting, but whether he'd do it alongside the Spain job (or leave the latter) is doubtful.

Zidane has the charisma and the CV, other than whether he'd fancy it, the question is what kind of a coach is he for a young team needing an identity.

Ten Hag has done a pretty stellar job at Ajax, linked to both Bayern and Barca in the recent past, will likely get a top club (in a top league) in his next job, definitely an interesting profile in terms of style, coaching and developing young players, with a point to prove.

I don't know whom I'd most like, but I'd take every single one of them now, if that was possible. I don't want this season to be a write off, or just a single part in a multi-part rebuild narrative.

passing-wind

The issue is that if Ole (on the premise of this season) continues regressing the team further, it will make his position untenable.

The extent of replacing the manager is not in the relevance of how good the new manager is. I think such a statement gives Solskjaer too much respect as if he is the creme de la creme in top tier management. It's more for the new manager to improve the dynamics of the team, which will inevitably make the club more competitive. I think there are a good selection of managers who can build upon the foundation of players that United has.

There is really and truly no sure bets for management in football. If United waste time waiting for the perfect candidate that opportunity will never come. When you count how many clubs there are in domestic football and fathom the amount of managers there are in the game, the only individual who comes close to such a description in the last decade guaranteeing success is Guardiola. However in between such periods there have been other managers who have also proven their worth.

A risk averse approach to anything in life will always be the equivalent of mediocrity.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I seldom watch football of other league so I can't really comment on who we need to bring in. One thing for sure, I am Ole out camp before covid. His style of play is no style, players are running around like headless chicken and he doesn't instruct them what to do. Managers like Klopp and Pep comes in and impose the style immediately. They are successful in breaking team down with their pattern of play and they will win more than 70% of their games. Most teams hope for a draw even before the game starts. Against Utd, every team thinks they can win. Villa's game will show teams that Utd is beatable. More and more team will come to Old Trafford looking for a win, I won't be surprised that Ole loses few more. If we really want to be successful, Ole and his backroom staffs needs to go. Frankly speaking, they are amateur at winning or creating a winning culture.

frookydinho

Zidane is really underrated.
Yes that Madrid Squad was elite, but to do 3 UCLs in a row is unreal. No great team of the past has managed this feat. Ole has excellent management skills, he's a nice guy, but zero tactical awareness.

Zizou has both. He really is up there with Pep and Klopp etc as one of the best in the world.

With the players in our squad, Zizou would take us to where we should be.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Pochettino
Rodgers
Zidane
Southgate
Conte
Rangnick
Carrick
Blanc
Enrique
ten Hag
Hasenhuttl
Howe
Lampard
Butt
Low
Deschamps
Wenger
Marsch

Why on earth is Southgate so high up on that list, urgh, I’d rather stick with Ole.

Mylock

If Brighton win tomorrow they will go top, and I know it will be a risky appointment for a top 6 sidebar maybe Arsenal, due to their position, but what do people think of Potter?
Potter is an excellent manager who is very clear in his team setup.
He would be an exciting option as he had a fair bit of experience before coming to Brighton. He might not be the fashionable or big-name manager some people would like but he's doing a very good job at Brighton without much publicity.

Last edited:

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I am a bit more calm but having looked at the alternative managers I don't see anything obvious right now so think we may have to grit our teeth and stick this out in the hope a top class manager elsewhere gets sacked (like Tuchel at PSG). Rodgers might get the bullet at Leicester end of the season, but I'm not his biggest fan.

Terry Kelly

I'd give Ole till the end of the year, see where we are. But 3 defeats in 8 games none of the teams we have lost to are BIG clubs. Can't believe they gave Ole a new deal till 2024, obviously the club don't expect trophies anymore.

Womp

idiot
Potter is an excellent manager who is very clear in his team setup.
He would be an exciting option as he had a fair bit of experience before coming to Brighton. He might not be the fashionable or big-name manager some people would like but very good he is very good at his job.
I agree. His Brighton team play some great stuff. Would be so interesting to see what he could do with better players.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If Brighton win tomorrow they will go top and I know it will be a risky appointment for a top 6 side bar maybe Arsenal due too their position but what do people think of Potter ?
Big fan. The way he's got Brighton playing is reminiscent of Pochettino at Southampton. I'd take him over Ole in a heartbeat.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The worry with Ten Haag is that he’s been working at probably the best structured club in Europe. He’s technically a great coach but lacking in some personality and he could get eaten up at United. It’s happened and is happening with similar players at United (Kagawa, Mkhi, VDB, Sancho).

I don’t think Zidane would be right because I think you need someone who’s more training focussed. That brings you to Conte who is one of the best trainers and has the character for the job. Its overplayed that his football is “negative”. Juve and Chelsea were good to watch under him and he has demonstrably improved a lot of forward players in his time. I think he’d be a good hire on a 2 years + 1 contract. He’d bring the level of coaching right up and him falling out with people might not be a bad thing. He‘s only ever fallen out with players in the second season at Chelsea, all his other issues were with owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.