Next permanent manager | Poll updated

Who should be the next permanent manager?

• Luis Enrique

Votes: 113 7.4%
  • Erik ten Hag

Votes: 1,300 84.7%
  • Julen Lopetegui

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 79 5.1%
  • None of the above

Votes: 32 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not sure how he's the safer bet considering how his last season went. And he hasn't exactly lit up the french league with his galacticos, either.
Mainly from a point if view of knowing the league and what to expect. Assuming he gets a full pre season there's no excuses for him.

As for galacticos I think there's an element of that here for any manager. You aren't going to change the likes of Messi (Ronaldo) at their age and make them pressing machines. This is why player recruitment this summer is so important to get players who fit how we want to play.

Eddy_JukeZ

I don't get how people continue to compare Ten Hag and De Boer when plenty of people here dissected how the 2 aren't similar at all.

It's such a lazy comparison.

Caesar2290

Same nationality, similar profile coming from smaller clubs they won promotion with, similar hype, similar style, close in age. Yes, im drawing those parallels
Playing style wise Potter and Howe are nothing alike. Howie is a more naive version of Moyes. Potter is in a different league playing style wise. Saying he is like Howie is like me saying that Sir Alex is like Gordon Strachan because they share the same nationality.

What limitations is Ten Hag used to? The only 'limitation' at Ajax is maybe their budget when compared to big clubs but they're a fantastically run club that focuses on footballing excellence from the board to the youth set-up. Their conveyor belt of talent produced from within and identified from outside continues to fire on all cylinders.

They spend little and sell big while continuing to be successful on the pitch. It's actually a dream cushy job and the only reason he'd leave is to challenge himself in a more lucrative and competitive league
This fantastically run club hasn't won the Eredevise in 4 seasons prior to Ten Hag's appointment. They've walked it since his appointment.

The core of the his Ajax team at the moment is a Man Utd flop in Blind, a Soton flop in Tadic, a West Ham flop in Haller and Spurs flop in Klassen plus some academy kids. Let's be real, the only reason Ajax look like such a well run club is because of the manager who delivers on pitch. Same with Liverpool and Klopp, and same with us during SAF's reign.

If Overmars leaving has such a profound effect on him then maybe he's not used to/doesn't want to work under less than perfect conditions, something he'd have to get used to at United with it's big name egos and utterly inept board. Maybe City suits him better as they're a much better run club and closer to what he's been treated to at Ajax but on a grander scale that would potentially allow him to compete for every top honor every season
See, posts like this make you sound completely ignorant. Had you taken 30 seconds to browse this board you would have come across this article that I posted 1 page ago. Why you should watch out for FC Utrecht's Erik ten Hag

In it the author tells the story of how Ten Hag inherited a disfunctional Utrecht side, full of prima dona players not willing to pull their weight and downing tools, not even having a groundsman, constantly having to sell players and having almost 0 budget to sign new ones. He transformed that Utrecht side into a well coached and drilled team that went toe to toe with Zenit Saint Petersburg in the EL back when they were a powerhouse.

Completely different from the "he needs a perfect structure to function" narrative that you mentioned. Man was literally manager, DOF and at certain points CEO for Utrecht.

United in sin

Playing style wise Potter and Howe are nothing alike. Howie is a more naive version of Moyes. Potter is in a different league playing style wise. Saying he is like Howie is like me saying that Sir Alex is like Gordon Strachan because they share the same nationality.

This fantastically run club hasn't won the Eredevise in 4 seasons prior to Ten Hag's appointment. They've walked it since his appointment.

The core of the his Ajax team at the moment is a Man Utd flop in Blind, a Soton flop in Tadic, a West Ham flop in Haller and Spurs flop in Klassen plus some academy kids. Let's be real, the only reason Ajax look like such a well run club is because of the manager who delivers on pitch. Same with Liverpool and Klopp, and same with us during SAF's reign.

See, posts like this make you sound completely ignorant. Had you taken 30 seconds to browse this board you would have come across this article that I posted 1 page ago. Why you should watch out for FC Utrecht's Erik ten Hag

In it the author tells the story of how Ten Hag inherited a disfunctional Utrecht side, full of prima dona players not willing to pull their weight and downing tools, not even having a groundsman, constantly having to sell players and having almost 0 budget to sign new ones. He transformed that Utrecht side into a well coached and drilled team that went toe to toe with Zenit Saint Petersburg in the EL back when they were a powerhouse.

Completely different from the "he needs a perfect structure to function" narrative that you mentioned. Man was literally manager, DOF and at certain points CEO for Utrecht.

Howie and Moyes are nothing alike. West Ham are a highly assiduous and disciplined team who's players cover space more effectively than Howie's sides. West Ham counter attack more and make better use of dead balls.

Howie on the other end values possession based play more and his teams press higher than the more compact and defensively resolute West Ham of Moyes. Howie is more attack minded and his profile is more similar to Potter than Moyes. Potter also values attractive possession based football and it's clear to see.

Ajax remains a well run football club that has stuck to it's age-old ethos and methods implemented by the great Johan Cryuff. How different is this squad to those of the recent past under different managers? They added more experience to the squad that made the EL final in 2017 and added more talent from within and outside like Anthony and Alvarez.

Ten Hag in my opinion is the perfect fit for a well established system, and he's adaptable to the clubs methods, flexible enough to impose different approaches as he deems fit. A true student of the game like Cryuff. He hasn't changed Ajax, he's made them dominant without completely deviating from their well known footballing identity.

Thanks for the article, very enlightening. I guess ETH has faced some adversity but I'm not sure how the challenges he faced at little Utrecht compare to the ones he'd face at a mega club in tatters like united. It could possibly be a steep learning curve in a whole new environment abroad for the first time. First the scrutiny would be on an entirely different level, and the sheer difference in magnitude of the daily pressures would be worlds apart. I think Pochettino is already more uniquely suited to handle this better considering his experiences at Spurs and PSG, two notoriously difficult high profile roles.

Blind wasn't a flop at united in my eyes, he was one half of the best center back pairing we've had in the post Ferguson era (Smalling being the other)

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
The way we played yesterday against Watford suggests to me that Ten Hag would be the perfect manager to take over from Rangnick. We played attacking possession football with nice pressing whenever we lost it. It was very similar to the way Ajax play whenever I watch them. We just missed the finishing touch. That style of play we did yesterday had lots of similarities with the way Ajax play.

Mainoldo

The way we played yesterday against Watford suggests to me that Ten Hag would be the perfect manager to take over from Rangnick. We played attacking possession football with nice pressing whenever we lost it. It was very similar to the way Ajax play whenever I watch them. We just missed the finishing touch. That style of play we did yesterday had lots of similarities with the way Ajax play.
Did you not picking up the major factor that these players aren’t good enough for this style?

If we got ETH we would need a whole new attack except for Jadon.

slored1

Did you not picking up the major factor that these players aren’t good enough for this style?

I think Martial and Elanga would work well under ETH. We need 1 striker and 1 winger at most. Pellistri and Amad are still options as well.

Midfield is the bigger concern in my opinion, we need at least one great DM.

Cloud7

I know a lot of people talk about ETH being Pep's successor at city, but I think there's a stronger chance of Enrique ending up with that job. He has his Barcelona connections with the guys already at City, he shares a lot of Pep and Barcelona's philosophy with respect to posession play, albeit more direct than Pep, and after the world cup there will only be a few more months until the time Pep is supposed to leave City.

Telsim

Every time I see this thread bumped, I dread what news I'm going to find inside. :lol:

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.

I actually thought we played well yesterday as a collective using this style. Sure we will need some new players (defensive midfielder, striker etc.) but that will need to happen regardless of which manager we get.

Mainoldo

I actually thought we played well yesterday as a collective using this style. Sure we will need some new players (defensive midfielder, striker etc.) but that will need to happen regardless of which manager we get.
I don’t think we played well. It looked good. But when you compare it to a good team. I.e. Man City… the quality in players is night and day.

We need more than just a striker and DM.

Lee565

We should make a play for tuchel, it sounds like he is morally a little conflicted about being chelsea manager with the situation going on in russia and Abramovich's supposed ties with putin and it's only going to get worse before it comes to some type of resolution

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Would really love it to be Tuchel. Probably not even a slim chance, but that would be great. He is impressive. Both as a coach and as a man.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

In reality we'll pretty much need a whole new attack over the coming season regardless of who the manager is.

Ronaldo and Cavani will be gone soon, ditto Lingard, Martial is already half out the door, Greenwood won't be coming back, even Juan Mata who barely plays will be gone. That's a lot to replace.

All that's really left after that is Rashford, Elanga and Sancho. So I wouldn't see needing a whole new attack as a problem exclusive to ETH.

croadyman

We should make a play for tuchel, it sounds like he is morally a little conflicted about being chelsea manager with the situation going on in russia and Abramovich's supposed ties with putin and it's only going to get worse before it comes to some type of resolution
Roman's henchmen will sort that problem, still firmly in the Ten Hag camp despite that draw on Weds against Benfica

United in sin

Makes sense, but who was the last PL proven manager who won the league? Kenny Dalglish with Blackburn Rovers in 1995?

1 out of 10, the other 9 WERE NOT PL PROVEN.
I didn't make mention of the club needing a PL proven manager. Making sure we're on the same page

CraftySoAndSo

All those saying Ten Hag when Ajax are 2-0 down at half time to Go Ahead Eagles, if he can't beat them how can we expect him to beat the likes of Watford. Waiting for the bait.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
All those saying Ten Hag when Ajax are 2-0 down at half time to Go Ahead Eagles, if he can't beat them how can we expect him to beat the likes of Watford. Waiting for the bait.
Kneejerk reaction. Every manager loses the odd game against the mid-table teams.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
The question people should be asking is, how come he is not walking the league. Eredivesie is one of the easiest league and their standards has dropped significantly over the last few season. I am starting to have more doubts over ten hag and as I stated, he should really go and prove himself in a top league. Aletico Madrid, spurs if conte leave, perhaps Newcastle, and if he does well there then, there will be no doubt that he is an exceptional manager. At the moment there is still a lot of questions mark

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
The question people should be asking is, how come he is not walking the league. Eredivesie is one of the easiest league and their standards has dropped significantly over the last few season. I am starting to have more doubts over ten hag and as I stated, he should really go and prove himself in a top league. Aletico Madrid, spurs if conte leave, perhaps Newcastle, and if he does well there then, there will be no doubt that he is an exceptional manager. At the moment there is still a lot of questions mark
He is basically walking it?

I think it is natural to see a drop off in form in the home league for teams like PSG, Ajax during the CL period. Mentally, it takes much to stay sharp against teams your are expected to beat easily. And even more so when your focus are on the CL.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Only two points clear at the top of the table, certainly not walking it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Only two points clear at the top of the table, certainly not walking it.
Quite a remarakable situation. A +30 goal difference over anyone else, having only conceded 7 goals with the next best defence having conceded 22, yet just two points clear on top.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Quite a remarakable situation. A +30 goal difference over anyone else, having only conceded 7 goals with the next best defence having conceded 22, yet just two points clear on top.
Yeah I think even Feyenoord are only six points behind. I think it says more about how good PSV have been than looking bad on Ajax, both sides have only dropped points in a few matches each.

The Caff Spraff

ETH has dropped points in 6 games

poch has dropped points in 7 games

ligue 1 is a far easier league for psg to win that the eredivisie is for Ajax to win, it’s all relative.
He’s clearly a top manager with a high ceiling, why wait that he achieves elsewhere and miss out, we no longer deserve that entitlement

Mainoldo

I hope PSV win it. All was been my team. United fans can’t really be backing Ajax.

LuckyScout78

At this moment my last 3 were. Hag, Pochettino and Ralph Hasenhüttl.

But i think i will take it down to last 2. Hag vs Hasenhüttl.

+ Ten Hag's Dutch total football VS United old 442 with 2 really good CF upfront

- Ten Hag. The roots back to Rinus Michels total 433 football. A formation that both Liverpool and City are using right now.

So how would United team with Ten Hag look like before summer signinngs?:

Pontential Hag 433 line up:

Bruno/McTom - Fred - DVB/Pobga + Sancho/Rashford - Ronaldo/Cavani - Rashford/Sancho

- Then you have Hasenhüttl United old 442 formation. With Romeu as the defensive Roy Keane type of player and Ward Prowse as the creative playmaker cm a la Scholes. And with 2 really CF upfront in Che Adams and Chelsea loaning CF Broja ( Ings replacement)
Hasenhüttl is definitely playing United football style, just missing pacey skill wide players in Giggs and Beckham. Would look like this:

Beckham - Prowse - Romeu - Giggs + Broja - Adams

And a how would a Hasenhüttls United pontential 442 line up look like? Before summer signings

442: Sancho - Bruno/Pobga - Fred/McTom - Martial/Sancho + Bruno/Rashford - Ronaldo/Cavani

Before back to time. Before 442 became more regular under Sir Alex. Because United didnt had the really good nr.10 playmaker in Cantona anymore. United becamse more out and out CF
After Cantona. The CF pair in Yorke & Cole. Then United got the wonderboy and natural talent in Rooney. A energtic and bulldoser of a CF, who had a energy that moved him all over the place in the attack.
So it was Rooney & Nistelroy/Tevez/Berbatov(more Cantona type player) and the last top CF in Van Persie.

So with Ten Hag or Hasenhüttl. I can see which directions those 2 managers would lead United.

Ten Hag only conceded 7 goals with Ajax in the league. I have never a experience a winning team or football team that only have conceded 7 goals in 24 matches. 24 matches. Its not even 0.5 per matches. On any level of football. Never in my life i have seen it. They only concede average 0.25 goals per match. I am really impressive. But i know and see. He has really good CBs duo and DM to play with. This Ajax XI and squad and superior to the rest of the team in league. But again. 0.25 goals conceding. Its crazy.

Back to Hasenhüttl. His Southampton squad analizing. Its clearly not good as the squad before Liverpool and others clubs came to buy all theirs best players. In Mane, Van Dijk and more. And Pochettino definitely had better players to work with.
I am not sure who made decisions to loan Broja from Chelsea and Livramento. Those 2 boy really strenght Southampton XI.
And what i like most by Hasenhüttl. He demands a lot of his players. Still he has same passion as Klopp and a personality of warmness. Smell of warmness.
His Southampton get a really solid and good Central spine in CM with Romeu & Prowse + Adams & Broja and CB Salisu have been good after a long time injury. So beside his passion, energy, demand to working hard and playing style. Are reasons behind his and Southampton good football style. I always enjoying watching Southampton playing. Because Hasenhüttl is offensive and does have a attacking minded into the game.

Sum up. I think at this moment. They are mine last 2. Down to last 2. Down to the last one. I think i will give me time to keep following those 2. To the start of May month. To decide which one i would go for and vote for.
Dutch 433 tottal football vs United old 442.

We Need Another Rebuild

Can someone explain to me the obsession with Hassenhuttl?

His Southampton team have conceded 9 goals twice under his management

His teams play decent football but it isn't breath taking

Rangnick sacked him at Leipzig as he thought he could get better

Apart from he wears a tracksuit and cap like Klopp what has he shown to warrant the job?

L1nk

Can someone explain to me the obsession with Hassenhuttl?

His Southampton team have conceded 9 goals twice under his management

His teams play decent football but it isn't breath taking

Rangnick sacked him at Leipzig as he thought he could get better

Apart from he wears a tracksuit and cap like Klopp what has he shown to warrant the job?
The most important criteria on here for some people is that he's managed in the league because theirs some notion that the Premier League is some super special league that not many managers from other countries can compete in. Which is nonsense of course

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Pochettino is the favourite to replace Rangnick in the summer and you could argue that the club have done plenty of groundwork to appoint the Argentinian.

Stretching back to 2016, Sir Alex Ferguson went for a meal with the now-Paris Saint-Germain boss, which many thought was to get a feeling for his long-term plans and whether he would be the right fit for United.

John Murtough, the club’s football director and the man responsible for bringing Rangnick to Manchester, will once again lead the pursuit, with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward gone.

Darren Fletcher, who helped with the Rangnick deal, will be supporting Mutrough and Richard Arnold, the new chief executive, will rubber-stamp the appointment.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
In the end whoever is appointed the manager and team will have our support.
It's the right thing to do and it'll happen, but as of now I doubt I'll trust the new one in charge that easily without materialised guarantee of quality control, solid clearout and finally implementing something other than pass & cross garbage we're being fed for so many years. We're in point where It's not even working on bottom table teams.

The upper board keep sending new managers and they're just standing there on a touchline like a statue in disbelief. Would love someone with a clue and ounce of energy for a change, but first we're about to make yet another appointment decision which just doesn't fill me with hurrah-optimism at the moment.

Other than that, you're right.

TheRedHearted

Give Ten Hag this type of free reign. Hire Van Der Sar, change the fitness coaches and nutritionist and start a revolution for this club. Only works when the board realizes their job would be easier if they let the reigns go.
Do what Klopp did and make a culture at the club, not elevating the players as elite but more so contemporaries to the others working for the club.
make a famil!

United in sin

Give Ten Hag this type of free reign. Hire Van Der Sar, change the fitness coaches and nutritionist and start a revolution for this club. Only works when the board realizes their job would be easier if they let the reigns go.
Do what Klopp did and make a culture at the club, not elevating the players as elite but more so contemporaries to the others working for the club.
make a famil!
Offer Van Der Sar a position in what role?

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
It's the right thing to do and it'll happen, but as of now I doubt I'll trust the new one in charge that easily without materialised guarantee of quality control, solid clearout and finally implementing something other than pass & cross garbage we're being fed for so many years. We're in point where It's not even working on bottom table teams.

The upper board keep sending new managers and they're just standing there on a touchline like a statue in disbelief. Would love someone with a clue and ounce of energy for a change, but first we're about to make yet another appointment decision which just doesn't fill me with hurrah-optimism at the moment.

Other than that, you're right.
I forgot to add.

Glazers OUT! though

Status
Not open for further replies.