Next Premier League TV rights estimate

Trizy

According to the Mirror, the next PL TV rights are estimated at around £6bn. Which is up a whopping 17% on the current deal of £5.14bn. Source.

With Amazon also mentioned to join the party I reckon it could be even more than £6.2bn. Especially when you throw BeIN Sport into the mix as they are hoovering up everything.

This will be great for the league in my opinion as more and more teams add more quality as their direct European equivalents cannot compete with them financially. This will lead to even more popularity and even bigger deals in the future not to mention more exposure which in turn will create higher sponsorship deals.

When will the bubble burst (if ever)?

Conclusion:
Make allll the money sign alll the players!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
the more people showing games means having to have more memberships and extra cost. this is getting stupid

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
According to the Mirror, the next PL TV rights are estimated at around £6bn. Which is up a whopping 17% on the current deal of £5.14bn. Source.

With Amazon also mentioned to join the party I reckon it could be even more than £6.2bn. Especially when you throw BeIN Sport into the mix as they are hoovering up everything.

This will be great for the league in my opinion as more and more teams add more quality as their direct European equivalents cannot compete with them financially. This will lead to even more popularity and even bigger deals in the future not to mention more exposure which in turn will create higher sponsorship deals.

Conclusion:
Sky and BT’s recent channel sharing agreement will ensure that they won’t be bidding against each other in the same way they did last time. As for Amazon’s much hyped entry, look at Amazon’s recent sports rights bids, its been at best for 10s of millions. They’re not about to drastically change up their strategy.

I would be surprised if the rights went for the same amount, let alone anything remotely higher.

EDIT: just realised that there'll be more games auctioned this time around. Even so I think on a like to like basis the amount will stay the same if not go down this time around.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
the more people showing games means having to have more memberships and extra cost. this is getting stupid
Pretty much this. It's bad enough having to pay through the nose for 2 platforms, and still having to find a Russian stream for a 3pm kick off.

I'd like to see clubs be able to offer TV season tickets, so you can see every game of your team, like you can get via NFL Game Pass. I only want to watch United games, but I've got to buy the whole lot across 2 providers, and I still can't watch every United game. Fortunately United are on TV more than most. TV Sports is a raw deal if you support anyone outside of the top 6.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Sky and BT’s recent channel sharing agreement will ensure that they won’t be bidding against each other in the same way they did last time. As for Amazon’s much hyped entry, look at Amazon’s recent sports rights bids, its been at best for 10s of millions. They’re not about to drastically change up their strategy.

I would be surprised if the rights went for the same amount, let alone anything remotely higher.
How can you be so sure? What if they are drastically more interested in the rights?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Pretty much this. It's bad enough having to pay through the nose for 2 platforms, and still having to find a Russian stream for a 3pm kick off.

I'd like to see clubs be able to offer TV season tickets, so you can see every game of your team, like you can get via NFL Game Pass. I only want to watch United games, but I've got to buy the whole lot across 2 providers, and I still can't watch every United game. Fortunately United are on TV more than most. TV Sports is a raw deal if you support anyone outside of the top 6.
There are more games available, including a whole new package of games, if i'm not mistaken? Surely the price is going to go up.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
There are more games available, including a whole new package of games, if i'm not mistaken? Surely the price is going to go up.
The price will definitely go up, for certain. Sky Sports went up even though they lost the Champions League, so if there's more games then I dread to think how much it will increase by.

Are they going ahead with the 3 games on Saturdays now? Lunchtime, late afternoon, evening?

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
How can you be so sure? What if they are drastically more interested in the rights?
Even if they were I don't think their bid will offset the loss due to less competition between sky and BT.

I would welcome Amazon doing something insane and getting the bulk of the rights. Would happily pay for Amazon prime sport, would probably still work out cheaper than my current sky plus bt sport subscription anyway.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
The price will definitely go up, for certain. Sky Sports went up even though they lost the Champions League, so if there's more games then I dread to think how much it will increase by.

Are they going ahead with the 3 games on Saturdays now? Lunchtime, late afternoon, evening?
Firstly - Apologies, I didn't mean to quote your tweet! Was after the one above! :lol:

Secondly - I've heard that on midweek/bank holiday fixture dates, that ALL games would be available?

Not sure about Saturdays

buchansleftleg

There is a whiff of decay about Sky these days - Their popularity is dependant on a few shows that are reaching the end of their time and they have not provided good replacements. I can see them calling a truce and agreeing a match-share deal with BT. Whether this is above board or a private under the counter deal i'm not sure.

I'd be surprised if Sky went for a deal with any of the streaming services, as that is what is stealing their business. A younger Rupert Murdoch might have made such a deal happen but not so sure he would be ready for a big step like that now - seems to just be looking to merge and sell their way out of trouble.

The interesting thing will be BT's approach to this . They could go for a truce or they might smell blood and try and kill Sky off.

Last edited:

cyberman

This is the reason UEFA needs to be careful with strict financial regulations etc.
The EPL clubs should and would walk away from any ruling that dilutes the quality of the league. The money involved is too ridiculous to risk just because Madrid etc are feeling the pinch.
Im just waiting on whispers of sharing the tv rights as a bundle throughout the major leagues in Europe.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
Clubs become richer and richer yet ticket prices stay the same or increase... Some of the extra PL money should go towards reducing ticket prices and regenerating areas around the clubs, because without the fans there is no PL. Sadly that won't happen though, instead the players and agents will just pocket much more money

Eire Red United

Yep definitely needs to be some sort of system like this where people who only want to watch their own team only have to pay for that and can see every game.

Bestietom

If both Sky and BT agree to continue to share rights then it will be hard to beat them, unless Amazon share with Bein sport, or someone else. Nice to see competition and loads of money around. Give the smaller clubs a chance to compete.

DanClancy

Conclusion:
Thats only the domestic deal though, would be amazed not to see far more growth in the international deal. I'd expect the overall growth of the TV monies to be at least 25%.

Nanook

Thats only the domestic deal though, would be amazed not to see far more growth in the international deal. I'd expect the overall growth of the TV monies to be at least 25%.
A 40-60% is expected in international TV rights and 10-15% in the domestic rights.

Foreign rights are currently £1.07bn per season so they should increase to £1.5bn - £1.7bn.

UK rights are £1.72bn and under the next TV deal it will probably be £1.85 - £1.95bn.

Danny Roberts

I think there is a long way to go for the PL yet. In US sports almost every game is televised, maybe every game is. If one of the online people does come in for the next round then £6bn+ is certain, possibly even £7bn. My mate's an agent. cnut!

Guy Incognito

Firstly - Apologies, I didn't mean to quote your tweet! Was after the one above! :lol:

Secondly - I've heard that on midweek/bank holiday fixture dates, that ALL games would be available?

Not sure about Saturdays
Yes, all bank holiday/midweek matches to circumvent the issue of moving games to different time slots.

There is a Saturday evening slot, I'm not sure how many games though.

Oscie

I hope the traditional broadcasters have their monopoly broken. If Amazon or Netflix get in on the game it'll be great news for consumers.

DanClancy

I hope the traditional broadcasters have their monopoly broken. If Amazon or Netflix get in on the game it'll be great news for consumers.
Not sure about that, will mean the consumer spending more money on subscriptions.

Oscie

Not sure about that, will mean the consumer spending more money on subscriptions.
The sooner companies that can soak up the cost for purposes of promoting their wider services without batting an eyelid vs channels that have no economic choice but to pass the increasing cost directly onto the consumer, the better the model will be for fans.

doomy20

I hope the screening shifts more and more into streaming platforms/online publisher. Nobody needs a 50 fifty bucks per month sky showing like 3 games on TV. In our country there´s this new streaming platform ("netflix of sports") showing tons of games all across europe + US sports for less than 10 bucks a month.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Clubs become richer and richer yet ticket prices stay the same or increase... Some of the extra PL money should go towards reducing ticket prices and regenerating areas around the clubs, because without the fans there is no PL. Sadly that won't happen though, instead the players and agents will just pocket much more money
It’s a surprise the ticket prices haven’t gone up, to expect them to go down is frankly unrealistic

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
It’s a surprise the ticket prices haven’t gone up, to expect them to go down is frankly unrealistic
Football is entering late stage capitalism, or what I like to call Americanism, where every single possible option will be exhausted to squeeze money out of consumers to the detriment of the game and quality of entertainment

Cal?

CR7 fan
Football is entering late stage capitalism, or what I like to call Americanism, where every single possible option will be exhausted to squeeze money out of consumers to the detriment of the game and quality of entertainment
It really hasn't got anywhere near there yet, there's a LOT more that can be done to profit maximise.

Angry Virginian

Supports
Tottenham
The price will continue to go up. Sports in one of the only few things that people still watch live in the age of Netflix and the likes.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yep definitely needs to be some sort of system like this where people who only want to watch their own team only have to pay for that and can see every game.
Where is the incentive for broadcasters to do that? So long as fans continue to buy packages they're going to continue to go down that route. Why offer a cheaper, 38 game package when people are willing to pay more for a larger one? Ultimately, if you've got access to more football you'll watch more football, and with that comes higher advertising revenues.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Where is the incentive for broadcasters to do that? So long as fans continue to buy packages they're going to continue to go down that route. Why offer a cheaper, 38 game package when people are willing to pay more for a larger one? Ultimately, if you've got access to more football you'll watch more football, and with that comes higher advertising revenues.
I remember when Sky started showing football they had some games that were PPV. thought it worked quite well

Number1

It's a bit shite in Britain, that football fans can't watch 3pm games 'LIVE' in the UK, yet overseas countries can, hence all the streams.

I'm not for Amazon or Netflix getting in on the act, gave my views on this in the past, it's only the consumers who'll suffer. But if they did, why can't the Premier League award the rights to some 3pm kick-off games that Sky or BT don't have the rights to?

Eire Red United

Yep it’s not going to change while people are willing to pay extortionate prices. Say I’m a West Brom fan for example, I’m paying x amount for sky sports, x amount for BT sports and (don’t know exact figures?) but barely any of my teams games are on, surely there’s a market for someone like Amazon or Netflix to come in and offer people the option to watch all the matches they want and to pay for them and not have to pay for matches they couldn’t care less about. And another thing, that Saturday 3pm law needs scrapping too.

Revan

Assumptionman
Supply and demand. If less fans show to watch matches, clubs will decrease their prices. When you have waiting lists for season tickets, the only surprise if how the tickets aren't getting more expensive.

Revan

Assumptionman
A 40-60% is expected in international TV rights and 10-15% in the domestic rights.

Foreign rights are currently £1.07bn per season so they should increase to £1.5bn - £1.7bn.

UK rights are £1.72bn and under the next TV deal it will probably be £1.85 - £1.95bn.
The optimist scenario on this gives the top clubs circa 250m pounds from TV. Suck it, Madrid.

Blue doomer

Supports
Manchester City
Unfortunately you are spot on, They could double that next tv deal but nothing will be fed back down to us, the fans.

Oscie

The reality is, I'd guess, well in excess of 50% of fans who can't attend games that aren't televised, watch it live somehow or other. Many of us pay for the guarantee (warning: not a guarantee) of a good quality stream during match days. Always seemed utterly nonsensical for the actual originator of the content to not be making a penny out of the live rights to those matches for the UK market when there's more than a willingness to pay.

Seems nuts

"Take my money!"
No!

It could actually be a decent way for an Amazon or a Netflix to get into the market. For an additional 'add on' to your subscription you get the 'other' games. All of 170 of them. It won't happen though because people in charge seem to think it's still 2001 and anyone gives a flying monkey's toss about highlights or 'goals to your mobile'. It's lucrative enough now but I don't think it's good in the long-run that the league is seemingly so blind to new technologies.

I know dozens of football fans, I don't know a single one who cares about 'goals to your mobile' to the point that I'd be quite sure barely any of them even know such a service exists and would forget about its existence about 2 minutes after finding out. Yet the Premier League think it's some kind of revolutionary service. As if someone just bought Richard Scudamore a Nokia 3310 and he's mind blown by Snake. Huge risk looking over the next 10 years or so that it could be left behind. Especially with a younger generation that streams everything and isn't as attached to traditional broadcast media as the older ones.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Yep it’s not going to change while people are willing to pay extortionate prices. Say I’m a West Brom fan for example, I’m paying x amount for sky sports, x amount for BT sports and (don’t know exact figures?) but barely any of my teams games are on, surely there’s a market for someone like Amazon or Netflix to come in and offer people the option to watch all the matches they want and to pay for them and not have to pay for matches they couldn’t care less about. And another thing, that Saturday 3pm law needs scrapping too.
The trouble is Amazon will have to win the rights to every game to offer that service, which isn't going to happen. It doesn't make financial sense for TV broadcasters to offer it either.

Agreed about the law. It's outdated. Besides, a hell of a lot of people don't want to to go to the game and are quite happy to watch it from home.

I remember when Sky started showing football they had some games that were PPV. thought it worked quite well
They changed it for a reason though.

NotBrendanRodgers honest

Supports
Liverpool
Supply and demand. If less fans show to watch matches, clubs will decrease their prices. When you have waiting lists for season tickets, the only surprise if how the tickets aren't getting more expensive.
Yeah I agree from a business perspective it does make sense to increase prices, but businesses should be ethical imo and not always focus on maximising profits. I genuinely think the atmosphere at games in the PL has drastically been declining over the past 10-15 years as more tourists or day trip fans are given tickets over the more local fans who have generations of support built up and more likely know all the songs etc

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It was called prem plus. 50 extra games for £50. I used to go half each with my Dad when I still lived at home.