NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Thanks for this insight. I didn’t consider that the losses had all been close.

If you look at the stats, they’re top 5 or top 10 in total offense and defense and scoring offense and defense. I just couldn’t figure out why their record wasn’t better given those numbers. There can’t be many teams that are statistically that good across the board. It’s a good sign for them re the playoffs though.
Despite what one would think being a cold weather team with a famously blue-collar fan base, they don’t actually have the running offense to control games. They’re around 23rd in rushing; everything flows through Josh Allen. If he has an off day or runs into a great DC their offense can be contained.

Also their ‘no-name’ defense lost one of their biggest names, the pro-bowl CB. Short of QB that’s one of the last positions you want to lose down the stretch.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I have Missouri links so I want them to win it all again but I have grave doubts, just from looking at Super Bowl history…..
I think it's probably a toss-up between them and the Titans to reach the Super Bowl from AFC. Much can depend on if Derrick Henry comes back strong for Tennessee. As it stands right now, I would have them as underdogs if they were to reach Super Bowl against the Packers. The biggest concern for the Chiefs is their inability to defend the passing game. It was ugly against the Bengals and Rodgers and Adams could probably pick them apart in their current state.
To my mind the NFC is Packers’ to lose. I think they can be beaten if the likes of the Rams or Cardinals or Cowboys have a great game, but I think GB would and should be very disappointed if they don’t make LA.

The AFC is really anyones to win if they can hit fork at the right time. All teams have some big question marks.

Chiefs - offence is playing better finally. But teams who go 2 high are still stifling them. Their defence is the key here - how much of their form is weaker opposition vs genuine quality. Also, they struggle vs the pass.
Titans - all about staying and getting healthy. They are a dark horse if they can.
Bengals - inexperienced at this level. Might count against them. And they won recently with Burrow playing all out. Can he maintain that level? Their D still has Q marks. Not sure on their run game at the moment either.
Bills - very inconsistent. Don’t know who is gonna turn up. And spends so much on Allen. They have no run game outside of him. Their D is good but can it keep up if Allen has a bad game?
Colts - can we trust Wentz when it counts? And they’ll be on the road.
Patriots and Raiders / Chargers I’d probably write off now. But Chargers, who knows if Herbert can consistently be elite.

For the SB, the interesting thing is the Titans probably have the best bet against GB. Exploit their run D weakness. Chiefs don’t match up well. But in the AFC it’s only really the Chiefs that have recent experience I for the big games. Bills too I guess. Patriots with BillB but quality gap is too far.

Theb also feck knows what Covid will do.

RoadTrip

Also just read that TJ Watt has his 21.5 sacks in 13.5 games this year due to injury. That is mental. Even if he takes the record with 1.5 sacks needed in the last game, it renders the 17 game thing moot since he missed games. That’s an incredible rate of sackage.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Despite what one would think being a cold weather team with a famously blue-collar fan base, they don’t actually have the running offense to control games. They’re around 23rd in rushing; everything flows through Josh Allen. If he has an off day or runs into a great DC their offense can be contained.

Also their ‘no-name’ defense lost one of their biggest names, the pro-bowl CB. Short of QB that’s one of the last positions you want to lose down the stretch.
Fair. Isn’t Allen their second leading rusher? I know he’s big and strong but he sure gets put in harm’s way a lot. That’s not a recipe for a long career.

RoadTrip

I can see the Titans as a legit one-and-done playoff side. They do not impress and can be sloppy on offense.
You think? I really think if they get Henry back healthy and have Julio and AJ available, that changes their whole dynamic. With any one of them out it really makes them one dimensional i think in that you know which 2 you gotta focus on. But they are dangerous if they’re all fit and healthy. There is obvs question marks - even if Henry comes back will he be full go and rust free? Can you trust Tannehill? Is their D good enough? But they should get the bye which will help them big time. They’ve got a good HC in my view.

For me it really comes down to their health. Get everyone healthy and I think they will fair ok. If not, I can also fully see them as one and done.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I think it's probably a toss-up between them and the Titans to reach the Super Bowl from AFC. Much can depend on if Derrick Henry comes back strong for Tennessee. As it stands right now, I would have them as underdogs if they were to reach Super Bowl against the Packers. The biggest concern for the Chiefs is their inability to defend the passing game. It was ugly against the Bengals and Rodgers and Adams could probably pick them apart in their current state.
Mathieu is good but I wonder if he’s carrying a bit of a knock. The corners (Sneed, Ward, Fenton etc.) are OK but not spectacular. Ward was horribly exposed by Chase in the Bengals game, but part of the blame must be on the DC Spagnuolo for not doubling Chase.

I was thinking more of the history rather than the the specific playoff matchups though. Getting to 3 straight Super Bowls is very hard. If KC can do it, t’would be a major major achievement.

RoadTrip

Fair. Isn’t Allen their second leading rusher? I know he’s big and strong but he sure gets put in harm’s way a lot. That’s not a recipe for a long career.
He doesn’t slide much either. He aggressively pursues extra yards and takes a lot of hits. But in the play offs he just can’t be the focus of their run game without it causing problems. And that in turn puts a lot of pressure on his arm. He is very good - and so can win games all by himself. But the moment he isn’t playing out of his skin, it’ll become very difficult for the Bills - I think. And by all accounts it looks like they will be up against us. A team that knows them well. It’s the only team I see us playing and having a chance to progress past wildcard as I would trust BB to overcome the quality gap against them but don’t think it’d be enough vs the other teams.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
He doesn’t slide much either. He aggressively pursues extra yards and takes a lot of hits. But in the play offs he just can’t be the focus of their run game without it causing problems. And that in turn puts a lot of pressure on his arm. He is very good - and so can win games all by himself. But the moment he isn’t playing out of his skin, it’ll become very difficult for the Bills - I think. And by all accounts it looks like they will be up against us. A team that knows them well. It’s the only team I see us playing and having a chance to progress past wildcard as I would trust BB to overcome the quality gap against them but don’t think it’d be enough vs the other teams.
The big running QBs tend to do that, don’t they? They think they’re Supermen. Look at Cam. It’s only guys like Russell Wilson that do the cowardly slide :lol:

I’m gonna annoy you but I think that the Bills will beat the Pats if they face each other. Jones has been solid but I can’t pick a rookie over Allen in a playoff game. Even though you did beat them in one of the regular season games.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The big running QBs tend to do that, don’t they? They think they’re Supermen. Look at Cam. It’s only guys like Russell Wilson that do the cowardly slide :lol:

I’m gonna annoy you but I think that the Bills will beat the Pats if they face each other. Jones has been solid but I can’t pick a rookie over Allen in a playoff game. Even though you did beat them in one of the regular season games.
The dual-sport baseball guys (Russ, Kyler, etc) seem to be the best sliders. I don’t know if Lamar has gotten wiser about it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I have the Bengals as a serious threat out of the AFC, depending on who they face. They can literally put any defense to the sword (especially the Titans who are weak against the pass) and their defense is passable enough to keep them in games.

Hopefully Joey B's knee is fine by next week.

RoadTrip

Doesn’t annoy me at all! I’m definitely of the view that we are a wild card team at best. Still very much building. And probably the weakest or second weakest team in the play offs on the AFC side. I think we lose in the wild card round, but I have us with a good shot vs the Bills (no shot vs Chiefs, Bengals or Titans). I think the coaching teams know-how in these games will play a big role. I could be wrong! And the Bills are the better team overall for sure. But I think it’s games like these, especially against division rivals, where I think having that coaching team and experience is more valuable than other games.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

Just so you know, computers don't know the weather. Or the score.

edcunited1878

Just so you know, computers don't know the weather. Or the score.
He went on a bit of a rant, but it is sage (and fair) advice from him. You look at what Joe Brady did with LSU and then he immediately got a job with Carolina where they have been horrific, which leads to his termination as OC.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Doesn’t annoy me at all! I’m definitely of the view that we are a wild card team at best. Still very much building. And probably the weakest or second weakest team in the play offs on the AFC side. I think we lose in the wild card round, but I have us with a good shot vs the Bills (no shot vs Chiefs, Bengals or Titans). I think the coaching teams know-how in these games will play a big role. I could be wrong! And the Bills are the better team overall for sure. But I think it’s games like these, especially against division rivals, where I think having that coaching team and experience is more valuable than other games.
Yes true. You can’t write of Belichick’s experience and know-how. The defense is gonna show up. It’s just tough with a rookie QB, no matter how good they are. I’m pretty sure that no rookie (real rookie, not a second year player that sat his first year) has ever led a team to the SB. They could win a playoff game though.

edcunited1878

Hahaha! Need to win a couple of playoff games first before talking about SB plans. Would be one of the most selfish things a player could do, yet his team will plan accordingly without him. Would be hilarious if Jordan Love leads the team to a SB victory, obviously heavily leaning on the run game and overall WR talent led by Adams. And their defense has been good enough the entire year.

edcunited1878

Going to predict that the Chargers do not get it done against the Raiders this weekend. I just believe that the Chargers are pretty much cursed by Dean Spanos/Spanos Family. Not knowing who is injured or in Covid protocol for either team, but usually, whenever the Chargers are in a must-win situation or given the benefit of the doubt, they continue to find a way to come up short.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Going to predict that the Chargers do not get it done against the Raiders this weekend. I just believe that the Chargers are pretty much cursed by Dean Spanos/Spanos Family. Not knowing who is injured or in Covid protocol for either team, but usually, whenever the Chargers are in a must-win situation or given the benefit of the doubt, they continue to find a way to come up short.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Hmmm… It’s Harbaugh to the Raiders if you’re wondering what she’s hinting at. I don’t know if they’ve already satisfied the Rooney Rule yet. In a round about sort of way, I like this (but that’s related to NCAAF).

chetan

Hahaha! Need to win a couple of playoff games first before talking about SB plans. Would be one of the most selfish things a player could do, yet his team will plan accordingly without him. Would be hilarious if Jordan Love leads the team to a SB victory, obviously heavily leaning on the run game and overall WR talent led by Adams. And their defense has been good enough the entire year.
I can't believe some people are taking this seriosuly.

Mike Smalling

Chiefs have beaten the Broncos 12 times straight before today. Surely, that must be close to a record.

Status
Not open for further replies.