NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
US posters. How's Mahomes viewed in the US? Speaking to my mates in UK who follow NFL, he seems to create a mix of feelings in terms of how good he is and personality.
Only Allen and Herbert are near the same stratosphere of guaranteed future greatness (Burrow is working his way in (or maybe is already there)).

Personality is meh. He’s not that charismatic and wearing ripped-up skinny jeans in commercials won’t endear you to the old school crowd - which is a large portion of the US audience, whether they’re old or young in age.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
US posters. How's Mahomes viewed in the US? Speaking to my mates in UK who follow NFL, he seems to create a mix of feelings in terms of how good he is and personality.

He's obviously very good and has a slightly higher ceiling that he can still achieve. Seems to be a good guy with an easy going personality as well (at least when compared to weirdos like Rodgers et al). Stylistically, I prefer Burrow, but Mahomes is right up there as well.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Herbie is so ridiculously popular that I wouldn't be surprised if they are demoing this due for NFL games next year.
They did an early game last year iirc. I think they could easily slide into NFL full time, they could supplant the current MNF crew easily.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I had no idea the chiefs were playing tonight until I saw it was 4th quarter at 24 - 28 with the Broncos at our 10. Looks like I missed a decent game.

chetan

He is destined for greatness. He generates mixed emotions because the media has hyped him as the best thing since sliced bread. I would prefer someone like Justin Herbert more than him. Mahomes, Herbert and Burrows can be next generations Manning, Brady, Rodgers.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Also, are there any Kansas City fans here? Does anyone think they can win the Super Bowl again?
I think there are a couple - @P-Ro Chelsea Yo! (who has changed is name unles I’ve just tagged someone totally unrelated) comes to mind.
I think we can win the Super Bowl but it's got to be said that our current team is weaker than our teams in our last 3 years. Our depth at offensive guard was our undoing last year at the Super Bowl (along with Mahomes not being as mobile with a toe injury) and injuries to key personel like Chris Jones or any of our offensive linemen will cost us. We also have this weird habbit of our offense just completely breaking down for large portions of the game (tends to happen in the 2nd and 3rd quarters of matches) and our games often go to the wire due to the opponents eventually catching up with us by the 4th quarter. We have been able to get wins despite this all season but I do fear what happens when we come against a team who can limit our explosiveness. If the chips line up like they are supposed to we'll probably have to beat the Titans in the AFC game and the Packers in the Super Bowl, and in those games if we aren't able to play well for 40+ minutes then we'll end up trophyless. Also if Kelce isn't 100% then we aren't winning anything.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

I’m sure coaching and play calling has nothing to do with it. feck off already Vic.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I think we can win the Super Bowl but it's got to be said that our current team is weaker than our teams in our last 3 years. Our depth at offensive guard was our undoing last year at the Super Bowl (along with Mahomes not being as mobile with a toe injury) and injuries to key personel like Chris Jones or any of our offensive linemen will cost us. We also have this weird habbit of our offense just completely breaking down for large portions of the game (tends to happen in the 2nd and 3rd quarters of matches) and our games often go to the wire due to the opponents eventually catching up with us by the 4th quarter. We have been able to get wins despite this all season but I do fear what happens when we come against a team who can limit our explosiveness. If the chips line up like they are supposed to we'll probably have to beat the Titans in the AFC game and the Packers in the Super Bowl, and in those games if we aren't able to play well for 40+ minutes then we'll end up trophyless. Also if Kelce isn't 100% then we aren't winning anything.
I really hope they can do it. It’s gonna be very tough. They’ve played a lot of football over the past 3 years.

But Mahomes is special, there’s always a chance with him. KC are 13-0 in ROAD division games since he took over. 13-0!

A bye week would help a lot……..

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.

I’m not in the US but I spend a lot of time there. To my mind he’s the best QB in the NFL, though he hasn’t always played like it this season.

This has probably been his worst year and yet he still has stats that are almost exactly the same as guys who have supposedly had fantastic, breakout years.

Mike Smalling

Dolphins won 20 straight against Buffalo in the 70s.
Wow, so not even close. I guess that was a slightly different era, though, since it was way before the introduction of the salary cap. Would be interested to see the number in modern times. The Patriots may also have a couple of pretty good streaks against the Jets and Bills.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Who believes the Cowboys can legitimately make noise in the postseason?

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Please can someone explain to me why the Eagles pretty much threw the game last night when they're not guaranteed a playoff spot? Or are they..?

@Ayush_reddevil

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Who believes the Cowboys can legitimately make noise in the postseason?
They have a very good chance imo. Important bits are they are firing on all cylinders on offense going into the playoffs and its that sort of momentum that often propels teams into deeper rounds and into Super Bowls.

Carl

They have a very good chance imo. Important bits are they are firing on all cylinders on offense going into the playoffs and its that sort of momentum that often propels teams into deeper rounds and into Super Bowls.
We really, really aren't. Dallas offence has looked bang average against every decent side it's come up against.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We really, really aren't. Dallas offence has looked bang average against every decent side it's come up against.
I wouldn't discount winning 5 out of their final 6, putting up 50 points twice in three weeks (can't recall the last time that's ever happened) and having the #1 offense in the NFL as insignificant. Dak is playing very well and Moore's playcalling has been solid, which is not coincidentally why he's being tipped for a HC job. Lamb/Cooper are pretty good together and having the league's best CB and potential defensive MVP in Parsons wont hurt either.

Right now imo, the Cowboys one step ahead of the Bucs and Rams just one step behind the Packers in the NFC.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
They could definitely make noise. Anyone with gamechangers on D and a QB can.

They could just as easily be out in round one though, as they didn’t seem to match up well against the Cards for whatever reasons.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I go back to my thoughts in a previous post. Cowboys are one of those teams who can make a big run but need to put together great games. But that’s the same for every team in the NFC - including the Rams Bucs and the wildcard teams. Perhaps they could cope a bit better than some of those if they don’t play at peak, but the only real team in the NFC who has headroom to win and not have their best game is Green Bay.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I go back to my thoughts in a previous post. Cowboys are one of those teams who can make a big run but need to put together great games. But that’s the same for every team in the NFC - including the Rams Bucs and the wildcard teams. Perhaps they could cope a bit better than some of those if they don’t play at peak, but the only real team in the NFC who has headroom to win and not have their best game is Green Bay.
Ultimately, its all about momentum and how well a team is executing as it goes into the playoffs. The Cowboys are probably executing as well as any team in the league at the moment, which is a good sign for them. The Packers, for all their hype, have had two incredibly close calls over the past two weeks in winning their games against the Ravens and Browns by a grand total of 3 points. This is probably Dallas' best shot at making the SB in 27 years.

Carl

I wouldn't discount winning 5 out of their final 6, putting up 50 points twice in three weeks (can't recall the last time that's ever happened) and having the #1 offense in the NFL as insignificant. Dak is playing very well and Moore's playcalling has been solid, which is not coincidentally why he's being tipped for a HC job. Lamb/Cooper are pretty good together and having the league's best CB and potential defensive MVP in Parsons wont hurt either.

Right now imo, the Cowboys one step ahead of the Bucs and Rams just one step behind the Packers in the NFC.
Yeh I just can't agree. Not sure what your allegiances are, and I get the numbers make Dallas look great, but actually watching them against decent opposition paints a different picture, and we've only been kept in games by our very aggressive defence.

If you look at the teams we've faced, it doesn't make good reading. The only half decent side we've beat is New England. Whenever else we've played anyone half decent we've been beaten and, with the exception of the Tampa game, been absolutely awful on offence. Including against Arizona last week, who we will have in the WC round next week.

I'd certainly prefer to subscribe to your point of view though!

Status
Not open for further replies.