NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
One of the best games I've watched. Always hated that overtime rule, it's so dumb, typical american mentality to it. Feel bad for the boys in blue.

Mike Smalling

Disgusted with that finish though. Really feel for Josh Allen. Feck the Chiefs, please not them again.
The Rams are our best hope I feel, but yesterday they seemed determined not to win :lol: That won't do in the SB. But if they can get after Mahomes like they did Brady yesterday, they have a good chance. Just need Stafford to play well again.

In terms of the OT rules they are not ideal, but they have to decide the game somehow without delaying it too much. It's the same for both teams, and as far as I remember the win percentage isn't that high for whoever wins the coin toss. But in these shootout type games, it's of course a big advantage. In terms of the fairness of deciding a winner, it isn't much worse than a penalty shootout in football.

the_cliff

I just find it quite amazing that Mahomes got the ball with 13 seconds left and somehow got to fg range when he started at his own 25.

Against the number 1 pass defence in the league as well.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
In terms of the OT rules they are not ideal, but they have to decide the game somehow without delaying it too much. It's the same for both teams, and as far as I remember the win percentage isn't that high for whoever wins the coin toss. But in these shootout type games, it's of course a big advantage. In terms of the fairness of deciding a winner, it isn't much worse than a penalty shootout in football.
Both teams get a chance in a penalty shootout

Mike Smalling

Both teams get a chance in a penalty shootout
I know, it was more in terms of actually being a good indicator of who deserves to win the game. And hasn't it also been proven that the team that goes first in a penalty shootout wins like 60% of the time?

The OT rules in the NFL can certainly be improved, but I don't think they are outrageously unfair.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
The Rams are our best hope I feel, but yesterday they seemed determined not to win :lol: That won't do in the SB. But if they can get after Mahomes like they did Brady yesterday, they have a good chance. Just need Stafford to play well again.
One thing that struck me yesterday was how well Mahomes was escaping pressure, I thought the Bills harrassed him quite a bit but he always found a way to get a pass off or scramble, was seriously impressed with that. You forget sometimes that he can run too because his arm is so good.

My fear is that the Chiefs are the most experienced and least mistake-prone team remaining right now.

- Bengals are still young and inexperienced, obviously can't ever count them out but it's one thing winning a regular season game, another going into Arrowhead for the AFC Championship game and beating Mahomes there;
- Rams have stellar defensive play at the moment but are suspect to a monumental collapse at any point, and Stafford has some brain farts if it's not his night. Can't be making those against the Chiefs;
- The Niners just don't have enough consistent offense in them to win against the Chiefs imo, they heavily rely on Deebo, their running scheme and Kittle to just magically make stuff happen. Jimmy G can't be trusted, he can't keep up with Mahomes and their D, however crazily good they were against the Packers, might tire against the Chiefs.

Mathieu potentially out with a concussion / head injury could be big for the Chiefs, as their one weakness at the moment is their defense. Their HC is up there with McVay and Shanahan as the best remaining and their QB is the most experienced and most talented one left.

A Rams-Chiefs SB would also be so intriguing, but it'd be easy on the mind not to have the Chiefs there just to be able to relax and enjoy the SB without having to be afraid that they win it. Hell, all those potential SB matchups are intriguing one way or another. Setting up to be an epic ending to the season.

Mike Smalling

One thing that struck me yesterday was how well Mahomes was escaping pressure, I thought the Bills harrassed him quite a bit but he always found a way to get a pass off or scramble, was seriously impressed with that. You forget sometimes that he can run too because his arm is so good.

My fear is that the Chiefs are the most experienced and least mistake-prone team remaining right now.

- Bengals are still young and inexperienced, obviously can't ever count them out but it's one thing winning a regular season game, another going into Arrowhead for the AFC Championship game and beating Mahomes there;
- Rams have stellar defensive play at the moment but are suspect to a monumental collapse at any point, and Stafford has some brain farts if it's not his night. Can't be making those against the Chiefs;
- The Niners just don't have enough consistent offense in them to win against the Chiefs imo, they heavily rely on Deebo, their running scheme and Kittle to just magically make stuff happen. Jimmy G can't be trusted, he can't keep up with Mahomes and their D, however crazily good they were against the Packers, might tire against the Chiefs.

Mathieu potentially out with a concussion / head injury could be big for the Chiefs, as their one weakness at the moment is their defense. Their HC is up there with McVay and Shanahan as the best remaining and their QB is the most experienced and most talented one left.

A Rams-Chiefs SB would also be so intriguing, but it'd be easy on the mind not to have the Chiefs there just to be able to relax and enjoy the SB without having to be afraid that they win it. Hell, all those potential SB matchups are intriguing one way or another. Setting up to be an epic ending to the season.
Yeah, those points you outline for each team is exactly why I'm worried the Chiefs will win the Super Bowl. The one thing you didn't include for the Bengals is their horrendous O-line. It's a killer for a offense relying heavily on the pass.

RedDevilRoshi

So glad I stayed up last night to watch that Bills@Chiefs game. Absolutely incredible game to watch!

Not a fan of how OT works though.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Watched the game just now, what an absolute belter. Playoffs had been disappointing so far (and even the close games were only so because of drama caused by stupidity), but this was a classic. A close game not because of idiocy, but because of two teams playing amazing football. It just goes to show, when you’ve got a top tier QB, it doesn’t matter how good your defence is when they’re in the zone. I feel like Allen and Mahomes would have exchanged TDs all day once they hit their stride.

I don’t really like the OT rules. I understand that the team that wins the toss still has to go down and score. I know the rules are the same for all and well known. Not saying it takes away from the Chiefs victory at all either. But, to win an NFL game you need an offence, defence and special teams. To me, any team having the chance to win the game without one of those phases not even entering the game, seems a bit bullshit.

the_cliff

Watched the game just now, what an absolute belter. Playoffs had been disappointing so far (and even the close games were only so because of drama caused by stupidity), but this was a classic. A close game not because of idiocy, but because of two teams playing amazing football. It just goes to show, when you’ve got a top tier QB, it doesn’t matter how good your defence is when they’re in the zone. I feel like Allen and Mahomes would have exchanged TDs all day once they hit their stride.

I don’t really like the OT rules. I understand that the team that wins the toss still has to go down and score. I know the rules are the same for all and well known. Not saying it takes away from the Chiefs victory at all either. But, to win an NFL game you need an offence, defence and special teams. To me, any team having the chance to win the game without one of those phases not even entering the game, seems a bit bullshit.
100 %

The way the 2 QBs were in the zone you knew whoever wins the toss will win the game. (similar to the Pats-Chiefs 2018 game) I feel like NFL missed a big opportunity here, another 15 mins of Mahomes and Allen going at it would've been good for the game. I reckon it's only a matter of time till they do change it.

RoadTrip

Also, I think the key lesson for the Bills is realising that If they want to come through the AFC, they can’t have slip ups like the Jags and Steelers games in the regular season.

Mahomes is so good, and the Chiefs are so good at Arrowhead that it’s just going to be very rare for any team no matter how good to march in there and win in the playoffs. The way these Bills get it done is to outperform them in the regular season so that when this big matchup happens, the Chiefs have to come to their turf. If this game yesterday was in Buffalo, I think the Bills would have won.

The Chiefs really are sensational though. At some point they’ll need to go through a rebuild on positional players. I wonder how they’ll cope then. But for now, they are just incredible.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Also, I think the key lesson for the Bills is realising that If they want to come through the AFC, they can’t have slip ups like the Jags and Steelers games in the regular season.

Mahomes is so good, and the Chiefs are so good at Arrowhead that it’s just going to be very rare for any team no matter how good to march in there and win in the playoffs. The way these Bills get it done is to outperform them in the regular season so that when this big matchup happens, the Chiefs have to come to their turf. If this game yesterday was in Buffalo, I think the Bills would have won.

The Chiefs really are sensational though. At some point they’ll need to go through a rebuild on positional players. I wonder how they’ll cope then. But for now, they are just incredible.
I don’t even this it’s that deep. If you play that game 10 times the Bills win their fair share and arguably had it entirely in their own hands last night. It’s just bad luck/some poor last ditch defence.

For me their takeaway is just, we are right there with KC on all fronts. Don’t see this as a failure in the 4th year of the build but keep the good building going.

Tough as they may lose a few coaches and have a very middling cap situation, but the core of the team is right there to go again.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

They really had that opportunity this season, the Chiefs were 3-4 at one point and there was talk of them having lost their offensive mojo and potentially even missing the playoffs. Don't think that'll happen very often under Reid/Mahomes. One advantage for the Bills might be that the Chiefs will have to play 2 games against Rodgers/Wilson and 2 games against Herbert next season. A man can dream :D

As for the last sentence: I've seen several mocks now that project Jameson Williams to the Chiefs at the end of the 1st, he'll potentially fall because of his injury but the Chiefs won't mind. Adding him to this offense would just be unfair.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I don’t even this it’s that deep. If you play that game 10 times the Bills win their fair share and arguably had it entirely in their own hands last night. It’s just bad luck/some poor last ditch defence.

For me their takeaway is just, we are right there with KC on all fronts. Don’t see this as a failure in the 4th year of the build but keep the good building going.

Tough as they may lose a few coaches and have a very middling cap situation, but the core of the team is right there to go again.
You definitely are, but for the second time in a row it's Mahomes who gets the W when it matters. Would've been an excellent chance to get the monkey off your back, the Week 5 win counts for far less in the grand scheme of things.

But yeah these are two evenly matched teams imo, just hope the momentum swings from time to time, a one-sided rivalry cannot reach the same heights as one where it's genuinely up in the air who'll come out on top.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Oh and one last thing: Tyreek Hill, as if he isn't detestable enough on his own, not getting a taunting penalty for that fecking piece sign of him was an absolute joke. The level of consistency is a joke. Some players just get away with a lot more than others. Remember that "taunting" penalty of that Lions practice squad player in the beginning of the season? FFS.

RoadTrip

Also as an aside, the QB outlook for the NFC vs AFC is so vastly different.

If thinking about good quality starters, NFC is all veterans really. Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Ryan, Cousins, Stafford. The only exceptions are Murray, Prescott, and perhaps Hurts. There is Lance and Fields but neither showed anything yet.

Conversely, the AFC has such great young talent coming through. Herbert, Lamar, Allen, Mahomes, Burrow. All young. The likes of Lawrence and Wilson and Tua and Mac are also all young albeit haven’t showed top quality yet.

RoadTrip

I’m not at all suggesting this is some kind of failure. It’s not at all. But at the same time this is a top quality Bills team. They should look at everything and anything which would improve their chances to getting to and winning a Superbowl because they have the quality right now. I kinda disagree with your outlook of “had some bad luck / some poor defending” though.

The best thing I can think of to explain it is Fergie time. Teams knew when it got near the end we would be coming. And part of the reason we scored so often was because our players believed it from the past, but part of it is how the other team felt the inevitability of it coming. And then when you combine that with being at home, the fans feel it coming, and together it creates that aura of inevitability. We saw this type of thing in this thread yesterday - no one was ever sure if the game was over in Tampa cos of the “Brady effect”. Yes the only reason it came close is because of stupidity, but I pose the question - is it possible that part of the reason coaches make weird decisions and players make stupid plays, is because players and coaches have it in their mind that shit, it’s Brady, and that just causes them to panic / question / get nervous themselves too?

The Bills would I’m sure win on the odd occasion at arrowhead, but the above effect in my view means that for the Bills to win in Arrowhead they’d need to play a breathtaking game - and even that might not be enough. If they just do a bit better in the regular season and get this game in your back yard, you negate this at least to some degree.

RoadTrip

Oh and one last thing: Tyreek Hill, as if he isn't detestable enough on his own, not getting a taunting penalty for that fecking piece sign of him was an absolute joke. The level of consistency is a joke. Some players just get away with a lot more than others. Remember that "taunting" penalty of that Lions practice squad player in the beginning of the season? FFS.
What happened? Missed that

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
What happened? Missed that
On KC's last TD of the regulation, he went past a few defenders and did his peace sign thing. That thing he did to one of the Bucs defenders in the regular season last season and then the defender did it back to him in the Super Bowl :lol:

That's an insta taunting penalty, yet nothing was called. Ridiculous.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
One other underrated aspect of that game was the very low number of penalties which is a credit to both the teams for their discipline and to the zebras

RoadTrip

On KC's last TD of the regulation, he went past a few defenders and did his peace sign thing. That thing he did to one of the Bucs defenders in the regular season last season and then the defender did it back to him in the Super Bowl :lol:

What a mugsy malone. The inconsistency of the calling, especially on taunting, is really irritating.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

There's been some really soft taunting calls this season as well, yet that was a clear and blatant one.

Honestly I'd rather things like that weren't called for taunting at all, I like the theatrical aspect of it, but if they're gonna call it, they've got to be consistent.

altodevil

It’s literally the only major American sport that doesn’t give the other team possession of the ball… so no, no it isn’t. What is typical is that it’s some folks knee jerk response to learning about the rule.
What do you mean learning about the rule?

redpatron

Rams limiting ticket sales to residents of the greater LA area, worried mostly 49er fans will show up.

I expect a sea of red next week, regardless.
Not like its going to stop one of the wealthiest fan bases in the league to pay overpriced scalper tickets.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It’s literally the only major American sport that doesn’t give the other team possession of the ball… so no, no it isn’t. What is typical is that it’s some folks knee jerk response to learning about the rule.
When you say knee jerk reaction I assume you mean the “typical American” bit? Because the dislike of the OT rules is nothing new.

altodevil

josh Allen really finished the playoffs with a 149 passer rating. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.