NFL 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Come on, most of us just went bed and woke up. I called it a night around 2am with the score 17-14. I was looking forward to catching up on the 4th quarter. It's not like we're spending the entire day avoiding spoilers :lol:
Yeah - I’m probably the only weird guy who genuinely avoids this thread and NFL news until end of Wednesday whilst I watch every game during the reg season. It’s a right pain covering the score ticker too at the bottom.

But yeah, in the playoffs, only like 1 or 2 games the next day to catch up on, it’s not a big deal. I’d caught up with the Rams game by 9am on the way to work - although I obviously had the result ruined by this.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Can we also acknowledge how OBJ went over to console Deebo Samuel on the bench right after the game? Classy fella.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
This is probably the happiest I've been for a team that I don't support; very well deserved long-suffering Bengals bros, if there are any on the Café! :)

Fairy-tale season for Burrow (seems destined for Muñoz/Anderson-esque stature within the fandom), Chase, McPherson and company; hope they trounce the yucky Rams at SoFi stadium.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
So fecking satisfying. This match up is so refreshing.

On the one hand you’ve got the Bengals, a proper underdog story. A genuinely nice guy at QB it seems. Plucky as feck. But with some serious quality to match. Knocked off the AFCs best two teams on the road.

On the other a team which is genuinely unique - I can’t recall any other franchise in recent times going so heavily in on winning by trade / FA rather than the draft. They are the ultimate win now team. Would love to see Donald get the ring he clearly deserves. And OBJ who for some reason bizarrely got blamed for Mayfield being shit - would be good for him to give them the big middy fingy. And always had a bit of a soft spot for Stafford.

I also think this gives the best match up.

Gonna be great. And for once not stressed because I don’t really have a team in it that I don’t want to see win - id be happy if either won it. I’ll figure out who I prefer to win as time goes on over the next couple weeks!
Add in my man crush on Von Miller and I’m in full agreement with this.

I’ll be supporting the Rams but will be genuinely happy for whichever team wins.

Such a refreshing change going into a SB :)

Mike Smalling

Would love to see Donald get the ring he clearly deserves. And OBJ who for some reason bizarrely got blamed for Mayfield being shit - would be good for him to give them the big middy fingy. And always had a bit of a soft spot for Stafford.
Totally agree with this. The Rams are not nearly as unlikeable as some people make them out to be.

Will be rooting for Bengals, but totally fine with a Rams win.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Totally agree with this. The Rams are not nearly as unlikeable as some people make them out to be.

Will be rooting for Bengals, but totally fine with a Rams win.
They're the least unlikable out of all the unlikable NFC teams so I can live with them winning the SB, though I'll obviously be rooting for the Bengals too.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Only 2 QBs with a Natty and SB win, that's Joe Namath and Joe Montana. Joe Burrow can become the third one.
He’d be the only one* in history who also has a Heisman.

*pedantic note: only QB that was the main starter at the end of the season for each championship; there have been QBs that were backups for one of them or were the starting QB before an injury…

redpatron

Bengals in the super bowl because Carr, Tannehill, and Mahomes all shite in the bed in their final drives. I don’t how much luck one team can have, but the last team I want is the Rams and the city of LA to buy another championship.

RoadTrip

Bengals in the super bowl because Carr, Tannehill, and Mahomes all shite in the bed in their final drives. I don’t how much luck one team can have, but the last team I want is the Rams and the city of LA to buy another championship.
It’s incredibly unfair to suggest the Bengals have solely been lucky.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Such a well-reasoned and completely level-headed, unbiased post.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Bengals are in the Super Bowl because they did their job better. All three phases of the game count, and their D adapted brilliantly in the second half last night to keep Mahomes at bay. Suggesting they only won due to luck is ridiculous.

Also how have the Rams “bought” anything when they operate under the same rules and cap as every one else?

Basically, great post.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Bengals D stepped up big after HT to basically nullify KC’s offense the entire 2nd half. Whatever adjustments they made, that wasn’t just luck.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Hope the Bengals pull it off. Just don't really like the Rams or McVay. Bengals seem to have rebuilt properly while the Rams just sold out for success.
Really, really can't agree with that take. Every franchise has the same means in order to build a competitor. Rams have gone all-in trading away their first rounders but they are where they wanted to be right now, so it has worked out for them. Why should that be a worse way to contend than building up a contender through the draft?

Bengals also haven't "rebuilt properly" at all then - if you look at it that way, they lucked out because they just happened to suck well enough in the right season in order to get Burrow (and then "lucked out" that Burrow got injured in order for them to draft Chase). Which other aspects have been built properly? They mostly signed FAs for their defense and their O-line is still a complete mess (which has been the case for long before they even drafted Jonah Williams in 2019).

dinostar77

Saw the results this morning by accident before i got to watch the game highlights. To be honest, i was really suprised. I really thought it would have been a kansas v san fran final.

Anyway hope bengals win it now. Tall order if LAs stars all show up and perform in the final.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Didn't realise the bought success arguments had spilled over into the NFL thread.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He got cocky, seemed to think he could just run in circles and zig zag around and it will always work and someone will be open when he looks up.

Was satisfying to watch his hubris cost them.
Has a bit of the Brett Favre in him. He's obviously amazing at improvising but he needs to work a bit more on the fundamentals this off season.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
His running in circles and panicking seemed to be praised by Romo throughout the 2nd half too, which was weird.

Though Romo sounded like he'd been pre-gaming at the tailgate. He kept starting sentences and trailing off, and some of his commentary was just bizarre. I usually like Romo a lot, but he was a bit wild last night.
He was definitely panicking on the final play before OT. He had several guys open and had all day to find one of them. It seemed very unlike Mahomes to have all that time, have pretty open targets and still opt for those weird circle runs that ended in a sack.

RoadTrip

Really, really can't agree with that take. Every franchise has the same means in order to build a competitor. Rams have gone all-in trading away their first rounders but they are where they wanted to be right now, so it has worked out for them. Why should that be a worse way to contend than building up a contender through the draft?

Bengals also haven't "rebuilt properly" at all then - if you look at it that way, they lucked out because they just happened to suck well enough in the right season in order to get Burrow (and then "lucked out" that Burrow got injured in order for them to draft Chase). Which other aspects have been built properly? They mostly signed FAs for their defense and their O-line is still a complete mess (which has been the case for long before they even drafted Jonah Williams in 2019).
I’m fully with you on this one. It’s just a crappy argument which spills over from football, from people who don’t understand how the NFL works.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I’m fully with you on this one. It’s just a crappy argument which spills over from football, from people who don’t understand how the NFL works.
Could understand it if the argument is made in that context yeah, where you'd like to see young (academy) players come through instead of "buying" your way to silverware, but that's not at all how the Rams went about their business. It's just a high risk, high reward strategy and fair fecks to them if it already pays off this season. People usually overestimate the value of a first-round pick as well especially if you're planning on being a contender for the near future. Doubt they care about missing out of let's say a WR at #32 if they can re-sign OBJ instead on a fair deal.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Obviously a great job by Bengals' defence. Burrow did his bit, too. But man the Bengals defence performed some magic there. They managed to stop KC repeatedly. That is not a small feat.

In the final I will be rooting for the Rams - cause Obj basically. So if the Bengals win I will be happy too.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agreed. Given free agency, salary caps etc., there is little to no comparison between the NFL and footyball.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He’d be the only one* in history who also has a Heisman.

*pedantic note: only QB that was the main starter at the end of the season for each championship; there have been QBs that were backups for one of them or were the starting QB before an injury…
Yep. The Snake, Jeff Rutledge, Kosar, Aikman, and Brady all won both but were bit part players and/or injured when their teams won nattys.

Burrow would be the 2nd player behind Marcus Allen to pull off the triple crown, and certainly the first QB to do so. Allen was also a SB MvP, which Burrow will likely be as well if they win.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
If you mean the coolest as in the ambient temperature of their habitat then I disagree. Bengal over Siberian all day.
Sure, why choose the biggest and strongest cat in the world when you could have one that can handle heat pretty well? Siberian Tigers are the real deal.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
The feck you guys on about :lol:
Important stuff.
While the Siberian Tiger is obviously the best tiger, the Bengals still get props for having the best heraldic animal in US-sports.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
As an aside, the outlook of the NFC compared to the AFC is polar opposite.
It has been flipped on on it's head. Not long ago the NFC used to be a bloodbath while the Pats would sleepwalk to the SB.

Jack-C20

The Bengals were one of my options for a second team to follow but now I’ll just look like a glory supporter.

Almost completely unbiased in this match up but I’m leaning ever so slightly towards the Rams. Would be nice to see Stafford win it all. Just hoping for a slugfest which is probably too optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.