NFL 2024 | Post Draft Panic

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Delighted with Worthy. Also pretty funny that we got him by trading with the Bills. I somehow don't think their fans will be very happy with that.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The Falcons GM talking to his boss about drafting a QB who will be 27 by the time Kirk’s guaranteed money ends…
In other news, the Chiefs signed like the fastest NFL player ever so that’s great.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I can understand the Bills trade with the Chiefs. But what I don't get is the trade down from 32 to 33 for a 4th/5th round swap. Not only are they trading to a team who's picking a WR but they're also losing the 5th year option on their pick.

Maybe they're going to try and trade pick 33 and other draft capital for a receiver like Aiyuk in the 18 hours before day 2 kicks off?

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Not a great day 1 for the niners. Seattle gets a great DT, Arizona and Detroit get better. Mitchell to the Eagles as well. And we get a marginal wr who might end up being a Aiyuk or Deebo replacement so a net negative.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm quite happy with Turner and McCarthy. I didn't think that someone like Turner would be possible.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Well this is underwhelming from a Bills perspective :lol: Curious what we will see on day 2...

GlasgowRedz

I'm quite happy with Turner and McCarthy. I didn't think that someone like Turner would be possible.
I'm also very happy, especially as we managed to keep our 1st for next year.

A lot of the talk was that we'd have to part with the 11, 23 and a 1st next year to be in a position to draft McCarthy. The only criticism is that we probably could have stuck at 23 and been able to draft one of Turner, Verse or Chop Robinson rather than giving up more picks but you've got to assume that the coaching team wanted him specifically.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm also very happy, especially as we managed to keep our 1st for next year.

A lot of the talk was that we'd have to part with the 11, 23 and a 1st next year to be in a position to draft McCarthy. The only criticism is that we probably could have stuck at 23 and been able to draft one of Turner, Verse or Chop Robinson rather than giving up more picks but you've got to assume that the coaching team wanted him specifically.
I don't really care about 2025 picks, it's a young team that doesn't actually need to add many rookies and they will lots of cap space next season. To me it's best to get elite potential that can be franchise cornerstones than a bunch of mid round talent. Now Verse and Robinson would have been nice if Turner wasn't available.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Minnesota nailed the draft so far. And the Bills are outright stupid for trading down a few spots and letting KC get Worthy.

Raiders, Falcons, ... the usual suspects shitting the bed.

Also love that the Bears picked Odunze. That's gotta be the best WR trio for a #1 QB pick to throw to in his rookie year.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
How does this affect their cap situation going forward? Just kicking the can down the road?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40025710/eagles-aj-brown-agrees-3-year-96-million-extension
It looks that way, and that's a lot of guaranteed money. I like AJ but I think he's a few notches off being worthy of the highest paid WR in the league (though when that extension actually kicks in he likely won't be by then). I don't know if they've restructured the current deal along with it, as it's due to skyrocket in 2026.

whitbyviking

At least the Bills get to find out what picking #32 feels like.
Nevermind.
Was going to quote your first post to say what your second did :lol:

Not a great day 1 for the niners. Seattle gets a great DT, Arizona and Detroit get better. Mitchell to the Eagles as well. And we get a marginal wr who might end up being a Aiyuk or Deebo replacement so a net negative.
Proper head scratcher that, although Belichick called it on the McAfee show so people clearly knew something we didn't.

Think the Chiefs trading up surprised them and took the player they were after as the pick took a long time.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Minny lost a lot of value by the modern draft calculators - about a 2nd - but if Turner, who in some years goes top 10, turns out to be good it and they blocked a team from stealing their guy at QB will probably be worth it.

Interesting note that it was probably Vegas that would’ve been that team and not Denver.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Penix might turn out to be great but even without the cousins move this was a bad pick imo for the falcons but once you put the Kirk Cousins piece with it, it’s a completely mindless pick. How can this team keep picking offensive players with top 10 picks every year.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Some awful landing spots in fantasy terms. Glad I don't have a high pick.

GlasgowRedz

I don't really care about 2025 picks, it's a young team that doesn't actually need to add many rookies and they will lots of cap space next season. To me it's best to get elite potential that can be franchise cornerstones than a bunch of mid round talent. Now Verse and Robinson would have been nice if Turner wasn't available.
Yeah the cap space next year gave us a lot of bargaining power this year to go and get what we really needed now.

Will be interesting to see where our 1st pick is next year and how the team has played. Could be that we trade down next year depending on what's available.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The whole G/T flex is overrated. Unless we get DeJean in R2, I'd be pissed!

But then I was the same with Gary pick and now it's brilliant. So will have to see in future.
I wasn't unhappy about going online tbf, just seemed rich with the players on the board. Optimistic about round 2 anyway!

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Some awful landing spots in fantasy terms. Glad I don't have a high pick.
Really only Nabers but he'll get 125 targets in that team and can have an OBJ rookie like impact, and Bowers but I guess he'll be used more as a hybrid / out of the backfield with Mayer there.

Brian Thomas Jr. is nice, Worthy couldn't have asked for a better landing spot, and both Legette and Pearsall jump up because of 1st round pedigree. It's actually the ones some expected (Coleman, Franklin, Mitchell) who didn't get drafted at all which have taken a drop.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Raiders and Falcons yuck

Jagga7

Alot of speed in the Chiefs offense now.

Hollywood Brown 4.27 40 yard dash
Xavier Worthy 4.21 40 yard dash
Rashee Rice 119 mph

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah the cap space next year gave us a lot of bargaining power this year to go and get what we really needed now.

Will be interesting to see where our 1st pick is next year and how the team has played. Could be that we trade down next year depending on what's available.
If nothing changes. The team could need at least one starting guard, one starting center, a very good NT and a starting outside CB or a very good slot CB that justifies pushing Murphy outside. But that depends a lot on how Roy, Griffin and Bradbury do, I like the little I have seen from Roy but I dream of a new Linval Joseph, according to PFF Griffin has been pretty good outside of his season with Jaguars and he is "only" 29 while Bradbury was largely good last season but I still don't trust him in pass protection.

I should add a WR3 to the short term needs even though Powell has been pretty good and Nailor is still developing.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I should add a WR3 to the short term needs even though Powell has been pretty good and Nailor is still developing.
What the feck, I completely missed that KJ Osborn isn't with you anymore :lol:

Will KOC's philosophy change now that he's working with a rookie QB instead of Kirk? Only 15 QBs in history have attempted more than 500 passes in their rookie season and McCarthy wasn't exactly high volume in college. JJ, Addison and Hock should get close to ~400 targets next season if they stay healthy.

GlasgowRedz

If nothing changes. The team could need at least one starting guard, one starting center, a very good NT and a starting outside CB or a very good slot CB that justifies pushing Murphy outside. But that depends a lot on how Roy, Griffin and Bradbury do, I like the little I have seen from Roy but I dream of a new Linval Joseph, according to PFF Griffin has been pretty good outside of his season with Jaguars and he is "only" 29 while Bradbury was largely good last season but I still don't trust him in pass protection.

Bradbury also seems to have an issue with his back, time will tell if that's something that is going to get worse.

You'd imagine that as a centre it's doing his back no favours!

JPRouve

Scout
What the feck, I completely missed that KJ Osborn isn't with you anymore :lol:

Will KOC's philosophy change now that he's working with a rookie QB instead of Kirk? Only 15 QBs in history have attempted more than 500 passes in their rookie season and McCarthy wasn't exactly high volume in college. JJ, Addison and Hock should get close to ~400 targets next season if they stay healthy.
I don't think that he is going to play during his rookie season, I'm almost sure that Darnold is the favored starter. And how much of Michigan gameplan was based on the fact that they didn't have elite or even above average receivers? Conversely the Vikings running game was subpar in the last couple of years, so we will have to see how Jones and Chandler do compared to Cook and Mattison.

GlasgowRedz

I don't think that he is going to play during his rookie season, I'm almost sure that Darnold is the favored starter. And how much of Michigan gameplan was based on the fact that they didn't have elite or even above average receivers? Conversely the Vikings running game was subpar in the last couple of years, so we will have to see how Jones and Chandler do compared to Cook and Mattison.
I think the only way he plays during this season is if right off the mark he blows Darnold away in training camp and KOC can't not start him or if Darnold is massively struggling and he gets a chance that way.

I think KOC should be able to get a tune out of Darnold though, enough to be competitive anyway.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Love the landing spot for JJ. Love Drake Maye for the Patriots, although I don't think either will be starters early in their rookie years.

Nabers going to Giants is what I least wanted but expected for dynasty fantasy purposes and I hope the Raiders trade Mayer

Balljy

The Dolphins have prioritised getting a pass rusher 3 times in the past 4 years. To be fair Chubb and Phillips are both injured and have been for a while so it does make some sense.

Chop Robinson does appear to have the physical side down, so it could be a good pick.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Read that about 400k+ were in Detroit yesterday with many turned away with the capacity at about 270k or something. On track to shatter the Nashville attendance record over the 3 days. Crazy just for a draft.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Read that about 400k+ were in Detroit yesterday with many turned away with the capacity at about 270k or something. On track to shatter the Nashville attendance record over the 3 days. Crazy just for a draft.
Not too surprising when Detroit has a population nearly 3x the size of Nashville. Saw it confirmed at 275k in Detroit yesterday compared to 200k in Nashville that first day and 600k over three days.

Nashville metro 2019 - 1.224m
Detroit metro 2024 - 3.528m