NFL 2024 | Post Draft Panic

lsd

The Oracle

Step 1: evaluate at least three years worth of college tape
Step 2: calmly make your own evaluation
Step 3: panic during draft week and overdraft a mediocre prospect
Step 4: ???
Step 5: remain uncompetitive

On the other hand, you never know who can make the next step and getting your franchise QB is the first and most important step towards success. That said, Nix and Penix just aren't top 16 prospects.

Calling it now Nix will be the best Quarterback in this draft

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I like Penix but I worry about his injury record. Otherwise he has a cannon of an arm, he is mobile and willing to stay in the pocket even when his life is at risk.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Calling it now Nix will be the best Quarterback in this draft
I'd say the chance of that happening is less than 0.1%.

Could you name me the last 24 year old QB to enter the league and be successful? Hendon Hooker was generating first-round interest pre-draft last season, Stetson Bennett is another old QB who entered the draft.

Nix is 4 younger than Trevor Lawrence who's been in the league for three full seasons. He's almost two years older (!!!) than CJ Stroud who lit up the league last season. There's a reason he's been in college for five seasons - because he's a standout talent waiting to take the next step in the NFL likely isn't it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Sorry brother.
I always used to get irrationally optimistic around this time of year and believe somehow we’d turn a corner. Then I’d convince myself our draft picks were really strong and it was going to be a good season.

And then…

JPRouve

Scout

Could you name me the last 24 year old QB to enter the league and be successful? Hendon Hooker was generating first-round interest pre-draft last season, Stetson Bennett is another old QB who entered the draft.

Nix is 4 younger than Trevor Lawrence who's been in the league for three full seasons. He's almost two years older (!!!) than CJ Stroud who lit up the league last season. There's a reason he's been in college for five seasons - because he's a standout talent waiting to take the next step in the NFL likely isn't it.
Would you accept Burrow?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Would you accept Burrow?
Not really, he was 23 and 4 months when he was drafted, Nix will still almost be a year older than that - and Burrow was the consenus #1 overall pick after an absolute ridiculous, historic final college season.

Jayden Daniels would be a much, much better comp for Burrow in that respect (barring the obvious difference in playing style): 23 and 4 months when drafted, and a Heisman senior season at LSU. But Daniels could very well be the best QB out of this draft.

lsd

The Oracle

I've called it it's done. All that's left now is the time to show it.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
That wouldn't be surprising given he's 24 and has more experience than most. I could see the Rams going for him.
Don't think they'll be doing that considering Stetson Bennett has been MIA since joining them.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...dest-players-quarterbacks-drafted-first-round
Who is the oldest player picked in the NFL draft?

QBs are the two oldest selected in the common era regardless of round, they were Weinke and Weeden, both 28, and neither did well and both spent most their careers as part-time starters and backup types. The five oldest first round QBs since 1967 are: Weeden, 28.195 (terrible), Druckenmiller, 24.212 (bust), Simms, 24.181 (very good before injury), Pickett, 23.326 (still pending), and Pennington 23.294 (flashes of good, fairly consistent but mostly meh).

I'd wager both Nix and Pennix will outperform most of this bunch if they get to an organization and system to flourish, like all QBs truly need.

Some QBs did very well after making the league at an older than normal age for a variety of reasons. Roger Staubach, Kurt Warner, Warren Moon are three HOF examples.

Last edited:

whitbyviking

Some magnificent names in this year's draft.

I really can't wait for it, even if it does result in crushing disappointment when we inevitably overdraft an edge in the first and take a running back in the 3rd, who will be a bust.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Our GM Brett Veach has traded up in the first or second round in every draft. I think if Thomas Jr is still there by pick 20 he'll throw in the kitchen sink to get him. The main issue we have in moving up is the Bills are also desperate for WRs and know we are looking at the same players. If we negotiate with another team about moving up, if the team is smart they'll then phone up a desperate Buffalo to tell them what we are doing and ask whether they want to trade up for the same deal (with their 1st round pick being at 28 rather than 32).

There's also the possibility of KC trading up for Mims if he's still on the board in the early 20s.

As for who I want at pick 32 if we don't trade up - Legette or Franklin. We need a deep ball threat WR now MVS is gone. I'd be good with Mitchell, Worthy or Keon Coleman too. I'll however be absolutely fuming if we go for Ladd McConkey.

Last edited:

whitbyviking

Our GM Brett Veach has traded up in the first or second round in every draft. I think if Thomas Jr is still there by pick 20 he'll throw in the kitchen sink to get him. The main issue we have in moving up is the Bills are also desperate for WRs and know we are looking at the same players. If we negotiate with another team about moving up, if the team is smart they'll then phone up a desperate Buffalo to tell them what we are doing and ask whether they want to trade up for the same deal (with their 1st round pick being at 28 rather than 32).

There's also the possibility of KC trading up for Mims if he's still on the board in the early 20s.

As for who I want at pick 32 if we don't trade up - Legette or Franklin. We need a deep ball threat WR now MVS is gone. I'd be good with Mitchell, Worthy or Keon Coleman too. I'll however be absolutely fuming if we go for Ladd McConkey.
Lot of speculation the Niners might go for McConkey as a Deebo replacement in the 2nd round, don't think he's a first round pick at all.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
So...Jayden is going 2nd then. Word is Minny won't make a big move for JJM; they want Maye. So that assumed trade may not be on the cards. 5-15 should still be fun for people after OTs or their top DE or CB.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Sun God highest paid WR in the league let’s gooooo :cool:

roseguy64

Thoughts on Drake Maye? I know what Patriots reporters think of him but wanna see what others think.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Just looked at The Athletic's The Beast and they're saying Justin Herbert is a comparison.

I get what he is now. Thanks.
Be cautious though, at least one had Trubisky as a Stafford projection. Another compared him to Wentz (pre-injury when he looked damn good) or Gabbert in a high/low outlook.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mitchell-trubisky/32005452-5521-5336-8519-c8cb45ea9b74

Tannehill comparison https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017mtrubisky.php & https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/03/21/mitch-trubisky-nfl-draft-scouting-report

Carr & Smith comparisons https://www.nfl.com/news/the-book-on-mitch-trubisky-scouting-polarizing-unc-qb-0ap3000000785960

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Just looked at The Athletic's The Beast and they're saying Justin Herbert is a comparison.

I get what he is now. Thanks.
Yeah, I think that is the most common one. It goes something like:
  • CW - somewhere between young AAron and Mahomes
  • Jayden - RGIII
  • Maye - Herbert
  • JJM - Alex Smith
  • Penix - Cousins…Tua? I dunno.
  • Nix - Brees (post shoulder surgery)

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Thoughts on Drake Maye? I know what Patriots reporters think of him but wanna see what others think.
Very good in college. But so was Trubisky, who I thought would do well as a pro. You just never know how a guy is going to develop at the next level.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Not good for the Pack. Though we’ve been good at drafting linemen later in the draft. We will probably draft a safety anyway.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
It all seems to stand or fall with what the Pats will be doing at 3. Can't wait for tonight.

JPRouve

Scout
The Vikings will have to go defense. I have a gut feeling that all the desired QBs will be gone before their turn.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

One of the most reliable guys out there, and think this makes a lot of sense. Although there were a few reports yesterday that the Colts at #15 are dead set on drafting Xavier Worthy.

All depends on if any team will get to #4 to draft McCarthy though if he's still available there and the first three picks are indeed Caleb-Daniels-Maye. Because if someone does, it might drop MHJ to 6, which could make Nabers available to the Bears or Jets at 9 and 10, and Odunze even more down - so what will happen with Bowers then, who's actually a top-10 talent if you disregard position? Interesting stuff.

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

One of the most reliable guys out there, and think this makes a lot of sense. Although there were a few reports yesterday that the Colts at #15 are dead set on drafting Xavier Worthy.
DJ is a good guy to listen to. Latham that high is a bit of a curveball. This is probably the best bet on what Denver will do - trade back with a team after one of the OTs.

If there were any shockers other than something regarding JJM, I’d see it being Byron Murphy or Quinyon flirting with the top 10. There’s always that one defender it seems that goes higher than we were thinking.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Not good for the Pack. Though we’ve been good at drafting linemen later in the draft. We will probably draft a safety anyway.
Everyone seems to be converging on DeJean. I'm expecting a trade back, I think.