NFL 2024 | Post Draft Panic

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
This period between free agency and the draft is literally the worst of the year, more than a month of almost no action (bar the occasional street racing incident), sucks.

After the draft is a quiet period as well but at least you have rookie drafts in FF and the start of OTAs / actual training isn't half a year away.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
As mugshots go, he's a 10.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Almost two years older than CJ Stroud.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I'm more hyped on what Penix may do with the right organization but I'd say Nix has some upside and could end up a decent starting QB, maybe very good in the right system. There are things he needs to correct/work on at the NFL level.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089500-bo-nix-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-oregon-qb
Positives
— Very good athlete. Explosive short-area movement; shows good speed in the open field.
— Good creation ability outside the pocket. Willing to break structure; plays with eyes downfield.
— Functional accuracy. Shows the ability to layer throws.
— Consistent, reliable quick game operator. Ball comes out quickly and accurately.
Negatives
— Oregon did not ask a lot of him as a processor down the field. Ton of screens, RPOs and simple vertical concepts.
— Inconsistent dropback footwork. Too often disrupts his timing when working full-bodied dropback passing concepts.
— Below-average ability to find answers within structure when first read is taken away.
— Inconsistent toughness in the pocket. Shows good flashes, but too often falls away from throws.
Pro Comparison: Andy Dalton

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
They must have a lot of wiggle room with existing and voiding contracts to keep paying these guys.
It looks like the wiggle room for the Smith extension doesn't even exist yet. It doesn't come into play until 2026. He'll play on the 4th and 5th years of his rookie deal this year and next. It might end up looking cheap by then once Justin Jefferson likely sets the record within the next year, but AJ Brown's cap hit skyrockets in 2026, so it'll most likely be one or the other at that point.

Any truth in the noise around Parsons 'wearing thin' in Dallas? No idea if that's coming from anyone remotely reliable, but seen it crop up a few times in the last week or so.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I'm more hyped on what Penix may do with the right organization but I'd say Nix has some upside and could end up a decent starting QB, maybe very good in the right system. There are things he needs to correct/work on at the NFL level.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089500-bo-nix-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-oregon-qb
Positives
— Very good athlete. Explosive short-area movement; shows good speed in the open field.
— Good creation ability outside the pocket. Willing to break structure; plays with eyes downfield.
— Functional accuracy. Shows the ability to layer throws.
— Consistent, reliable quick game operator. Ball comes out quickly and accurately.
Negatives
— Oregon did not ask a lot of him as a processor down the field. Ton of screens, RPOs and simple vertical concepts.
— Inconsistent dropback footwork. Too often disrupts his timing when working full-bodied dropback passing concepts.
— Below-average ability to find answers within structure when first read is taken away.
— Inconsistent toughness in the pocket. Shows good flashes, but too often falls away from throws.
Pro Comparison: Andy Dalton
Penix's biggest question mark is his health. He's torn his right ACL twice and injured both shoulders. Missed 25 out of a possible 51 games at Indiana and didn't play more than six games in any of his four seasons while there. Hasn't missed any time in two seasons at UDub, but still a big injury risk imo

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The Giants officially bailing on Danny Dimes is a common guess these days. Another convenient trade back spot like last year for Zona where they might still get a guy they’re high on, which is a nightmare scenario for Minny (and maybe Denver and Vegas though less likely).

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
It'll be pretty annoying if Marvin Harrison Jr falls to the Chargers. He'll have to get used to Justin Herbert chucking the football 80mph at him when he's 5 yards away though.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
WR is the least of Jim Harbaugh's problems/worries in LA if reports are to be believed. The top 3 WRs in this class are all so good but their draft position might also dip a bit because of how insanely deep the class is this year. WRs are everywhere in the league and (very) talented players will continue to pour into the league, is the state of the position now.

I like the Odunze over Nabers take though. Not sure yet whether McCarthy is really the real deal or Zach Wilson 2.0. A lot of mocks currently have 20+ offensive players going in the first round which would be a unicum.

lsd

The Oracle
Any truth in the noise around Parsons 'wearing thin' in Dallas? No idea if that's coming from anyone remotely reliable, but seen it crop up a few times in the last week or so.

There's talk his attitude is not great and a few people at the team would be perfectly fine to see him go among the coaching set up.

He refuses to play where the coaches want him too and it's basically more concerned with his own stats than anything else.

It's just great being a Cowboys fan :(

MrMarcello

There's talk his attitude is not great and a few people at the team would be perfectly fine to see him go among the coaching set up.

He refuses to play where the coaches want him too and it's basically more concerned with his own stats than anything else.

It's just great being a Cowboys fan :(
I know they optioned him as a DE vs Edge/OLB as it is cheaper. If he's disruptive to the team then perhaps they should see what the market offers, like maybe a couple high picks or more. They're not going to be able to pay Dak, Lamb, and Parsons, and they have some other players with decisions looming and an OL to fix, so one of the big three is probably on the outs eventually.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I know they optioned him as a DE vs Edge/OLB as it is cheaper. If he's disruptive to the team then perhaps they should see what the market offers, like maybe a couple high picks or more. They're not going to be able to pay Dak, Lamb, and Parsons, and they have some other players with decisions looming and an OL to fix, so one of the big three is probably on the outs eventually.
Previously heard similar talk, but with Dak being the odd man out.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
The Giants officially bailing on Danny Dimes is a common guess these days. Another convenient trade back spot like last year for Zona where they might still get a guy they’re high on, which is a nightmare scenario for Minny (and maybe Denver and Vegas though less likely).

Marvin Harrison Jr falling to us at #5 would be amazing

WR is the least of Jim Harbaugh's problems/worries in LA if reports are to be believed. The top 3 WRs in this class are all so good but their draft position might also dip a bit because of how insanely deep the class is this year. WRs are everywhere in the league and (very) talented players will continue to pour into the league, is the state of the position now.
Good chance Harbaugh will trade back to stockpile picks and take a tackle, but WR is definitely an area of need. Starting WRs are Josh Palmer and Quentin Johnston. The only team with worse receivers might be NE

lsd

The Oracle
Where do people think Bo Nix will go in the draft? I've seen predictions of being in the top ten to late second round perhaps even third.

I personally wouldn't mind Cowboys going for him if he falls to them

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Where do people think Bo Nix will go in the draft? I've seen predictions of being in the top ten to late second round perhaps even third.

Late 1st or a fall to the 2nd if I had to put money on it. Likely to Denver or Vegas after a trade back if anyone ‘reaches’ in the 1st.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Looks like Denver got their QB.

Let's ride!

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

If he fell as far down as Dallas we'd trade out of that pick. No chance we pick up a QB in any of the rounds of the draft this year given the numerous needs we have everywhere else.

MrMarcello

It doesn't makes sense for Dallas to use a pick this year on a QB after trading away a mid-round 2024 pick last fall for Trey Lance. That would be akin to Dallas just giving San Fran a selection for nothing, which may end up the actual result anyhow.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Jarrett Stidham, Zach Wilson, and Ben DiNucci. That's quite an exciting lineup Broncos fans can look forward to.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Step 1: evaluate at least three years worth of college tape
Step 2: calmly make your own evaluation
Step 3: panic during draft week and overdraft a mediocre prospect
Step 4: ???
Step 5: remain uncompetitive

On the other hand, you never know who can make the next step and getting your franchise QB is the first and most important step towards success. That said, Nix and Penix just aren't top 16 prospects.