NFL 2024

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Daily reminder that its not just old fecks who dream of a Handmaid's tale future. Those old fecks raised young fecks.

I was raised Catholic and it's loonies like him that made me turn away from it. I once worked with a devout catholic who straight up told me that when he comes home his demands the dinner be waiting for him, he takes off his shoes and she is supposed to give him a foot massage while he eats his dinner in front of the tv. And he said she loves doing that for him. Mind you she had a full time job herself and he worked a very limited schedule.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
That supposed follow-up quote from Butker is fake from a satire news page.

It wasn't really necessary to try and worsen what he said, it was dumb enough in its own right.

Satire news is the parody threads of social media. Oversaturated, rarely funny.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Finally a heartwarming NFL related story.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Good. Ridiculous that it is still done with chains, and I'm convinced I've seen quite a few of them measured wrongly as well.
There were a number bad spots where it was pretty clear it should have been a first down in the Super Bowl. I remember screaming at the TV for Reid to throw a challenge flag for at least 2 of them.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I would have thought not allowing interviews during playoff periods was a better idea? Unless that’s already a thing?
That would be a better idea, but currently isn't a thing. Both Shane Steichen and Jonathan Gannon had interviewed with the Colts and the Cardinals respectively whilst they were still with the Eagles on the way to the Super Bowl. Both were officially appointed 2 days after the Super Bowl. It seems like a big distraction to have over members of coaching staff whilst the season is still happening. There's surely a large enough off-season to not allow any coaching interviewing until after the Super Bowl.

whitbyviking

That would be a better idea, but currently isn't a thing. Both Shane Steichen and Jonathan Gannon had interviewed with the Colts and the Cardinals respectively whilst they were still with the Eagles on the way to the Super Bowl. Both were officially appointed 2 days after the Super Bowl. It seems like a big distraction to have over members of coaching staff whilst the season is still happening. There's surely a large enough off-season to not allow any coaching interviewing until after the Super Bowl.
Agree with this, the past few years the Niners have had noise and eventual moves related to multiple coaches and other management staff. Has to have an effect.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Can't argue with much of that top 10 although you could switch some positions.

Nuk and McLaurin way too high for me at this point, would include Tank Dell for McLaurin straight up after what he has shown last season. Diontae Johnson and Calvin Ridley two notable omissions but not sure who I'd drop in order to include them.

I expect London and MHJ to be in or near top 10 territory this time next year.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Tampa radio guys talking about Wirfs the other day saying he'll cost 30m per to retain. I honestly don't see how teams can build a SB winning roster when any key player will cost 20m+ per season and one must spread 250m* across 55-60 players. You truly need to find a QB on the cheap and/or hope he's Mahomes caliber to carry the load. Maybe get lucky with a few key defensive and offensive players on rookie deals.

*That number includes dead money further lessening the number to spread around.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Tampa radio guys talking about Wirfs the other day saying he'll cost 30m per to retain. I honestly don't see how teams can build a SB winning roster when any key player will cost 20m+ per season and one must spread 250m* across 55-60 players. You truly need to find a QB on the cheap and/or hope he's Mahomes caliber to carry the load. Maybe get lucky with a few key defensive and offensive players on rookie deals.

*That number includes dead money further lessening the number to spread around.
Not even QB on the cheap, NONE of the last 10 Super Bowl winners had a QB on his rookie deal.

8 of them did have a top 5 QB of all time, the other two were Stafford and Foles. So you do indeed need to find a Mahomes level QB, that’s the common denominator imo.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Damn. I mean I know you can obviously never really know these guys but never in a million years would I have expected this from him.

Also didn’t know he’d left the Jags.
Was he the one Urb kicked during a warmup session?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Was he the one Urb kicked during a warmup session?
Nah that was Lambo.

B-Mac was with Denver until the arrival of Payton, the last remaining member of the SB50 winning squad. He always seemed like a genuinely great guy. Saddening to see this story.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

It does sound like a solid plan though. Something like maybe camp starts in mid-to-late June with a short break for July 4th. Then a padded scrimmage or two in July - clubs already do this in camp with no tackling - and then two August exhibition games and start the season sometime in late August. I'd also say add a second bye week, the players would like that for sure.

What we need to occur is enough push into February that the Super Bowl falls on the Sunday preceding President's Day... BOOM! National holiday that Monday and we all win and get what we want.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Waddle new contract, 3-years $84m. Puts him 4th in the WR list but I think it only kicks in in a few years by which time it might already look like a bargain.

Read a piece yesterday which mentioned that there are still quite a few WRs waiting for their big contract, e.g. Jefferson, Aiyuk, Higgins off the top of my head; they were wondering if we're going to go the RB way with WR contracts because the talent pool coming in through the draft is so big at the moment. Might be going to a league where the elite QBs (and their LT or O-line) get paid a shitload and just makes it work with an acceptable supporting cast, like how Mahomes won the Super Bowl last season. I don't think it'll go that far, but trends in the market are always interesting to follow up on. I do think elite pass rushers are worth their money as well, guys like Myles Garrett, TJ Watt and Micah Parsons. They can be so disruptive that they can influence an entire game without even filling up the stat sheet.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Waddle new contract, 3-years $84m. Puts him 4th in the WR list but I think it only kicks in in a few years by which time it might already look like a bargain.

Read a piece yesterday which mentioned that there are still quite a few WRs waiting for their big contract, e.g. Jefferson, Aiyuk, Higgins off the top of my head; they were wondering if we're going to go the RB way with WR contracts because the talent pool coming in through the draft is so big at the moment. Might be going to a league where the elite QBs (and their LT or O-line) get paid a shitload and just makes it work with an acceptable supporting cast, like how Mahomes won the Super Bowl last season. I don't think it'll go that far, but trends in the market are always interesting to follow up on. I do think elite pass rushers are worth their money as well, guys like Myles Garrett, TJ Watt and Micah Parsons. They can be so disruptive that they can influence an entire game without even filling up the stat sheet.
With the current WR market and if you're a team paying your QB the play is probably to just draft a WR in rounds 1-3 every year. I'm not really sure how the Eagles have managed to pay both of their WRs and QBs whilst maintaining a pretty decent overall team but they seem to be the exception.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It’s swings and roundabouts. And it makes sense. When there’s a plethora of talent, it’s a franchises market. When the inevitable cycle comes where talent is down, it’s a players market. It’s just that it all gets generally lost in the constant growth overall driven by increased money available. It ends up being about slightly more or slightly less growth which is much harder to identify.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
With the current WR market and if you're a team paying your QB the play is probably to just draft a WR in rounds 1-3 every year. I'm not really sure how the Eagles have managed to pay both of their WRs and QBs whilst maintaining a pretty decent overall team but they seem to be the exception.
Devonta Smith deal doesn't kick in until 2026, he's still on his rookie deal until then, and Hurts' contract is heavily backloaded, his cap hit this year is only $13m. I'm surprised they still managed to extend AJB though. I don't know what that looks like in 2026/2027 when they're paying all 3 big money.

They're still quite top-heavy overall though. Offense is relatively stacked, but defense has a lack of proven talent, and a few players way past their best. CB1 and 2 are old, best pass rusher gone, best DT gone, no idea who's playing linebacker. They have to hope there's no busts in this years draft class, and the draft class from the last couple of years step up, or this season will look a lot like the 2nd half of 2023 did.