NFL Draft

Vinay

Muppet in Training
<a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/index" target="_blank">Details here.</a>

I think Palmer is going to have a tough first season. I think Detroit came out good with a great WR.

Anyone's views?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My views:

4 Miami Hurricans drafted in the 1st round (to go along with last year's five). Shockingly, Willis McGahee got drafted at 23 by the Bills.

Jens

Looks like the Canes lost pretty much half their defense in this draft.

Couple of picks with an injury history for Denver AGAIN. Foster looks ok. We needed a LT badly. He´s rather big for a Denver O-Line tho.

Pierce in the 2nd? WHY? Wilson is good.

Wish we´d have taken a CB earlier.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can someone tell me something about these players please?

1 5 Newman, Terence CB 5-10 189 Kansas State
2 38 Johnson, Al C 6-3 305 Wisconsin
3 69 Witten, Jason TE 6-6 264 Tennessee
4 103 James, Bradie ILB 6-2 242 Louisiana State
6 178 Tucker, B.J. CB 5-11 188 Wisconsin
6 186 Smith, Zuriel WR 5-11 166 Hampton
7 219 Bates, Justin G 6-4 300 Colorado

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Dallas had a top 3 draft according to most "experts"...

1. Newman will be a top CB within 3 seasons.
2. Johnson will start at C this year and for the next 10-12 seasons.
3. Witten will probably start at TE this year or by his second season and may be a probowl player.
4. James will be solid backup LB for 2 seasons until he becomes a starter by year 3.
5. Tucker is a project at CB and should develop within 2 seasons to be a bonafide nickel back.
6. Smith- never heard of him. Project.
7. Bates will be a practice squad candidate and could develop into a good backup guard.

Good draft...now must see which free agent rookies Parcells signs. I'd like to see him sign these six players:
QB Jason Gesser, RB RaShard Lee, WR Reggie Newhouse, TE Lorezno Diamond, DE Cliff Washburn, CB Jason Goss.

Dans

Can you explain exactly what a nickle back is?

MrMarcello

A nickel back plays when the offense spreads extra receivers on long passing plays or late game situations when the offense needs to move down the field fast. The nickel back is usually a 3rd corner that lines up on the slot receiver. Then nickel back usually has a free safety take the receiver deep if he gets by the nickel back. The nickel defense is 5 defensive backs, usually 3 corners and 2 safeties. Thus the concept of a nickel back (5th man).
<a href="http://www.firstbasesports.com/football_excerpts.html" target="_blank">Football formations</a>

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Originally posted by Jens:
<strong>Looks like the Canes lost pretty much half their defense in this draft.

Couple of picks with an injury history for Denver AGAIN. Foster looks ok. We needed a LT badly. He´s rather big for a Denver O-Line tho.

Pierce in the 2nd? WHY? Wilson is good.

Wish we´d have taken a CB earlier.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They lost their defensive line, but the linebackers and secondary are still intact.

Jens

surprised to see parcells not picking a qb or rb

MrMarcello

<strong>surprised to see parcells not picking a qb or rb</strong><hr></blockquote>

Me too...but look for him to sign Lucas or Griese at QB come June...and maybe a free agent rookie QB...they did trade for a RB (Aveion Cason)...he was with Detroit...not sure if he is a feature back possibility or a third down back...they will probably look at free agent rookies too...

MrMarcello

Yes, Ray Lucas...he is Parcells #2 QB target if Griese does not sign...and Griese might go to Miami which would signal the release of Lucas...I do believe Hutchinson will be the guy in Dallas, especially with the OL healthy and an effective receiving TE (insert Witten)...Lucas would be a solid #2 and thus allow Dallas to trade Carter in August to a team that needs a backup QB due to injury...however, if Griese signed with Dallas, I would not be dissapointed...

Dans

Are you that sure about Hutch? And why would Lucas move to Dallas to be number 2 there instead of number 2 in Miami?

MrMarcello

Lucas is a big fan of Parcells and if Griese signed with Miami, Lucas would be #3...and the Dolphins are not going to pay big money for a #3...plus, Lucas can play "slash" role for Dallas as he did for Parcells in New York...

I am a big fan of Hutchinson...he has a strong arm and is highly accurate...he needs another season to get in the "football mentality"...then he will blossom into a top QB...he has all the skills and toughness you seek in a prototype QB...if only he had a quicker foot...

Jens

Originally posted by MrMarcello:
<strong>

Me too...but look for him to sign Lucas or Griese at QB come June...and maybe a free agent rookie QB...they did trade for a RB (Aveion Cason)...he was with Detroit...not sure if he is a feature back possibility or a third down back...they will probably look at free agent rookies too...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jason Gesser is still out there. Think you might make a move for Stephen Davis?

Broncos signed CSU´s Cecil Sapp as an undrafted rookie.

Kenny mentioned Parcells might move for Vinny Testaverde as he knows and likes Vinny. Parcells is a guy who likes to surround him with familar players and coaches. Today heard a rumour the Broncos might be looking to trade Portis for Newman as Portis is bitching about his contract and the Broncos think they can get good production out of most RBs.

You need a good pass blockin O-Line with Griese. I´m glad I´m gonna see the back of him.

Jens

Don´t think Parcells is gonna go thru the growing pains of a young, developing QB in Dallas so I´d be surprised if he didn´t sign a proven veteran like Vinny or Griese and went with Hutchison.

You won´t find any takers for Carter.

MrMarcello

Griese was solid in Denver but taking over for Elway for a no win situation for any QB...and the health of Davis hurt Griese...he was effective in his first season as a starter and then the Broncos continued to have injury problems to their RBs and WRs...and the OL is nothing like it was in the mid to late 90s...wherever Griese ends up, the team that signs will get a steal...

Dallas is not going to trade Newman for Portis...would be a dumb move...we'll take Anderson though...

Jens

Just saw Dallas signed K Ola Kimrin. Good signing.

Broncos are in talks with the CU Buffs punter. I´d like to see Knorr replaced.

1(20) GEORGE FOSTER OT GEORGIA
2(19) TERRY PIERCE MLB KANSAS STATE
4(11) QUENTIN GRIFFIN RB OKLAHOMA
4(17) NICK EASON DT CLEMSON
4(31) BRYANT MCNEAL DE CLEMSON
5(22) BEN CLAXTON C MISSISSIPPI
5(23) ADRIAN MADISE WR TEXAS CHRISTIAN
6(21) AARON HUNT DE TEXAS TECH
7(13) CLINT MITCHELL DE FLORIDA
7(21) AHMAAD GALLOWAY RB ALABAMA

Does anyone know these players any better than me?

Jens

<strong>Griese was solid in Denver but taking over for Elway for a no win situation for any QB...and the health of Davis hurt Griese...he was effective in his first season as a starter and then the Broncos continued to have injury problems to their RBs and WRs...and the OL is nothing like it was in the mid to late 90s...wherever Griese ends up, the team that signs will get a steal...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Disagree about Griese. It´s not only the injuries to TD and McCaffrey that hurt him, he had problems staying fit himself. His shoulder is a big question mark and there´re doubts about his mobility and arm strength. He blew it last season after Shanahan got Griese guys to make his job easier (Sharpe, Lelie, Portis).

MrMarcello

Broncos had a solid draft...here is my assessment...

1. Foster will be a solid tackle in the NFL if he gets over the injury problems.
2. Peirce will make an impact on special teams to start and might end up a starting MLB by year 2.
3. Griffin will be an all around guy, but not a feature back. Think Dave Megget.
4. Eason has potential to be a solid backup DT. Injury concerns in the past.
5. McNeal has great upside. Should make the squad and develop for 1-2 years.
6. Claxton is a project at center. Not sure if he can long snap, but should make the squad.
7. Madise is a poject at WR, and I have no info on him.
8. Hunt is small DE, probably will play a pass rushing LB spot if he makes team. Project.
9. Mitchell has a better chance of making team than Hunt and could be another late round steal for Denver.
10. Galloway- no info on him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It doesn't matter who QBs the Broncos...afterall...they've got Clinton Portis....who I think will scorch the earth for 2k next year. :D

MrMarcello

I was amazed that Miami had 5 DL drafted and another (Green) who will earn a training camp spot with a team...he has good rush ability, but injuries have hurt him the last two seasons...could be a practice squad candidate with a future in the NFL...

BTW, for all the players Miami has sent to the NFL in the last two seasons, Texas had at least one player drafted for the 66th consecutive year, a feet matched by no other program...1938-2003...amazing...

Jens

<strong>Broncos had a solid draft...here is my assessment...

1. Foster will be a solid tackle in the NFL if he gets over the injury problems.
2. Peirce will make an impact on special teams to start and might end up a starting MLB by year 2.
3. Griffin will be an all around guy, but not a feature back. Think Dave Megget.
4. Eason has potential to be a solid backup DT. Injury concerns in the past.
5. McNeal has great upside. Should make the squad and develop for 1-2 years.
6. Claxton is a project at center. Not sure if he can long snap, but should make the squad.
7. Madise is a poject at WR, and I have no info on him.
8. Hunt is small DE, probably will play a pass rushing LB spot if he makes team. Project.
9. Mitchell has a better chance of making team than Hunt and could be another late round steal for Denver.
10. Galloway- no info on him.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks.

Heard the Griffin/Meggett comparisons myself. Pierce puzzles me a bit as we have Al Wilson who is a good MLB and so does Clexton as we have 2 good centers already in Tommy Nalen and Ben Hamilton. Fair point about the long snapping duties.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
yeah it would've been 6 easily but Corny Green got a bad injury late last year. McGahee's recovery is still amazing. I think he'll get shelved for this year so he can fully recover and learn the offense. He's only supposed to be a Junior at UM this year and he's already in the NFL.

Jens

Originally posted by Raoul:
<strong>It doesn't matter who QBs the Broncos...afterall...they've got Clinton Portis....who I think will scorch the earth for 2k next year. :D </strong><hr></blockquote>

He needs to stop bitching about his contract.

Jens

<strong>yeah it would've been 6 easily but Corny Green got a bad injury late last year. McGahee's recovery is still amazing. I think he'll get shelved for this year so he can fully recover and learn the offense. He's only supposed to be a Junior at UM this year and he's already in the NFL.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Didn´t McGahee say he was at 85% already? I just hope they don´t push him back.

MrMarcello

McGahee owes everything to the biggest con man, errr, agent in the business...Drew Rosenhaus...putting on a "fitness show" for scouts and yet not running a 40...working out is nothing for a physically fit speciman, but suiting up and playing is much different...McGahee needs to "redshirt" for this season and then start 04 fresh and with a year of NFL coaching behind him...Rosenhaus made the prediction that McGahee will start and earn probowl honors this season...that is outlandish...and I think playing McGahee this season could regress his recovery...

Raoul

Admin
Staff
<strong>

He needs to stop bitching about his contract.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They better pay him. He wasn't even supposed to be in the NFL last year and still managed to quietly rush for 1500 yards despite being only 21 years old. He's a special player.

Jens

<strong>

They better pay him. He wasn't even supposed to be in the NFL last year and still managed to quietly rush for 1500 yards despite being only 21 years old. He's a special player.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sure is, but he needs to have some patience. The Broncos will pay him when the time is right.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
<strong>If Frank Gore recovers fully from his injury, he'll be better than any RB ever at Miami...</strong><hr></blockquote>

He's been recovered for a while, infact we could've used him late last season but we didn't want to blow his redshirt. It will be Gore this year, Tyrone Moss next year...and then the Bobby Washington era begins in 05. :D

kennyj

Originally posted by Vinay:
<strong><a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/index" target="_blank">Details here.</a>

I think Palmer is going to have a tough first season. I think Detroit came out good with a great WR.

Anyone's views?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Like most first-year QBs, he may have a tough first season, but I think he'll be great QB. He's big, mobile and has a great arm. I think Cince drafted a offensive lineman to protect him a nd a WR for him to throw to. Good draft by Cinci.

kennyj

<strong>

Kenny mentioned Parcells might move for Vinny Testaverde as he knows and likes Vinny.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Parcells would like to have him, but Vinny presents a lot of cap problems. I was surprised at Dallas' selection of a 25 year old DB. I think that Jones might have been influential in that one.

kennyj

<strong>My views:

4 Miami Hurricans drafted in the 1st round (to go along with last year's five). Shockingly, Willis McGahee got drafted at 23 by the Bills.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Lot of Penn State guys too. McGahee isn't expected to contribute much his first year. Camp opens in two months and he can't even cut yet. There was some talk that the Bills should slow his rehab down.

kennyj

BTW, How screwed up are the Vikings that two teams jump ahead of them during the first round because they aren't ready.

Why do the Saints trade up to get a guy at six who was projected to be available much later?

I wasn't crazy about the Raiders' picks.

Thought Cinci did a great job, even picking the CB that might have been a first rounder if he hadn't gotten shot.