NHL 2023/2024

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Tampa usually get their jersey designs right but this reverse retro one is an absolute disaster.

RedDevilQuebecois

Tampa usually get their jersey designs right but this reverse retro one is an absolute disaster.
It comes from a 1997 "Storm" design that was already considered by many as the very worst to ever exist. Some things just deserve to stay buried.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
It comes from a 1997 "Storm" design that was already considered by many as the very worst to ever exist. Some things just deserve to stay buried.
Indeed. But maybe that was the reasoning why they brought it back it, kind of like a "it's so bad it's good" type of thing.

Or they were just really high.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yep, those were awful jerseys last night. Fell asleep right as the game started, fully expecting to wake up to a loss v. Boston. Nice to see us eke out a victory.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Yep, those were awful jerseys last night. Fell asleep right as the game started, fully expecting to wake up to a loss v. Boston. Nice to see us eke out a victory.
Shame as it was a really good game, had a bit of a playoff vibe to it. I thought Boston were the better team though and should have won it if Vasilevsky hadn't done what he does best.

RedDevilQuebecois

Inevitable Bo Horvat trade then. Slightly surprised it's the Islanders but no way we were keeping him.
I honestly thought that a different team with more Stanley Cup aspirations would be going for him. The Islanders still have ways to go if they hope to leapfrog over Washington or Pittsburgh while Buffalo is already in the thick of the playoff race.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I honestly thought that a different team with more Stanley Cup aspirations would be going for him. The Islanders still have ways to go if they hope to leapfrog over Washington or Pittsburgh while Buffalo is already in the thick of the playoff race.
Yeah! There was a bit of Bruins and Avs talk from what I picked up.

Not sure how it'll work for Islanders. If he doesn't sign there at the end of the year and they miss the playoffs it's a huge buzz kill for them.

massi83

Yeah! There was a bit of Bruins and Avs talk from what I picked up.

Not sure how it'll work for Islanders. If he doesn't sign there at the end of the year and they miss the playoffs it's a huge buzz kill for them.
If he doesn't sign, they can trade him before the deadline.

londonredmaniac

If he doesn't sign, they can trade him before the deadline.
Does that happen often? New to all this!

What sort of trade value would you see them getting at that stage? Given that a team could sign him as a UFA months after?

I guess it depends whether folk see Bo as the difference between a cup of not. He has been excellent tbf.

massi83

Does that happen often? New to all this!

What sort of trade value would you see them getting at that stage? Given that a team could sign him as a UFA months after?

I guess it depends whether folk see Bo as the difference between a cup of not. He has been excellent tbf.
Don't recall exactly similar case from before. But double deals have happened even on the same day, when first team retains 50% (maximum), and second team does the same, so acquiring team only pays 25% of the cap hit.

Even if he would be traded again as a pure rental the price would be pretty close to what it was now. (And Isles can retain 50%, Canucks already retain 25%, so buying team would pay only 37,5% of his cap hit) Don't think Canucks got a great deal, though not terrible either.

I do think anyone signing Horvat long-term will regret it quite soon, but that's a different conversation.

londonredmaniac

Don't recall exactly similar case from before. But double deals have happened even on the same day, when first team retains 50% (maximum), and second team does the same, so acquiring team only pays 25% of the cap hit.

Even if he would be traded again as a pure rental the price would be pretty close to what it was now. (And Isles can retain 50%, Canucks already retain 25%, so buying team would pay only 37,5% of his cap hit) Don't think Canucks got a great deal, though not terrible either.

I do think anyone signing Horvat long-term will regret it quite soon, but that's a different conversation.
Thanks bud :) starting to make more and more sense of all this as time goes by. I'm no GM in the making that's for sure!

Interesting point about Bo, tbf I think we'd have kept him but we've given JT Miller his money. Crazy really.

Unsure on the trade, I don't know either player tbh. Heard good things about the kid though.

Just surprised it took me until my late 30's to find out I love this game.

massi83

Seems the Islanders have
Yup. Never bet on a guy having career year as a pending UFA to be able to keep it up. His shooting percentage is up 60% this year. It would be fine if he keeps it up, but when he reverts to mean, not so much

Ace Krampus

Yup. Never bet on a guy having career year as a pending UFA to be able to keep it up. His shooting percentage is up 60% this year. It would be fine if he keeps it up, but when he reverts to mean, not so much
As a Rangers fan, I was very pleased to see those extension numbers. If he goes back to being a 50-60 point per year guy, would anyone be surprised? I know Zibanejad, for example, isn't exactly Connor McDavid, but Horvat has had 60 points exactly one time and he's making the same money as Mika.

londonredmaniac

As a Rangers fan, I was very pleased to see those extension numbers. If he goes back to being a 50-60 point per year guy, would anyone be surprised? I know Zibanejad, for example, isn't exactly Connor McDavid, but Horvat has had 60 points exactly one time and he's making the same money as Mika.
We've done it with JT Miller after his 99 point season and it's already looking a big big risk.

Bo seems to come across a great fella on and off the ice, so I think he's going to have a positive influence regardless.

Ace Krampus

We've done it with JT Miller after his 99 point season and it's already looking a big big risk.

Bo seems to come across a great fella on and off the ice, so I think he's going to have a positive influence regardless.
Probably and Miller is most certainly not a positive influence type of guy, as I can also attest from closely watching his early career. That said, the Rangers gave him up for a can of WD40 and some pocket lint and that remains wildly frustrating.

londonredmaniac

Probably and Miller is most certainly not a positive influence type of guy, as I can also attest from closely watching his early career. That said, the Rangers gave him up for a can of WD40 and some pocket lint and that remains wildly frustrating.
It's coming across that way bud, I don't want to jump to conclusions as I know next to feck all but the noises around him don't seem to come across positive. Whenever he is interviewed he boils my piss for some reason ha. TBF though it can't be fun playing in Vancouver just now.

What's your take on Lafrenière? I know there's been a bit of noise around him last month or so?

Oh and WD40 incomes in useful now and then :)

Ace Krampus

What's your take on Lafrenière? I know there's been a bit of noise around him last month or so?
It's hard not to be disappointed with his career to this point. I think he's still got the makings of a good NHL player but for all the hype and all the flashes of talent he displays he's not some sort of generational player. He skates well, has good instincts and good hands but he's missing that extra gear and isn't particularly fast.

The biggest issue is, I think, how he's being deployed. Gallant makes frequent line changes so it's hard to build chemistry and rhythm, and none of the "kids" get any PP time. Laf's 5 on 5 numbers are actually pretty decent (though less so this season) and with more time with the man advantage he might have gaudier numbers but Gallant sticks with the same crew on special teams.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
@RedDevilQuebecois I saw this post on an other forum and wants your opinion, at first I thought that it was ridiculous but then McDavid is McDavid. :lol:

To edmonton
Guhle
Caufield
Suzuki
Slaf
Dach
3 firsts

To Montreal
Mcdavid

Montreal finally gets a number 1 center and Edmonton gets some decent pieces for the play offs

RedDevilQuebecois

@RedDevilQuebecois I saw this post on an other forum and wants your opinion, at first I thought that it was ridiculous but then McDavid is McDavid. :lol:

To edmonton
Guhle
Caufield
Suzuki
Slaf
Dach
3 firsts

To Montreal
Mcdavid

Montreal finally gets a number 1 center and Edmonton gets some decent pieces for the play offs
I have seen Quebec fleecing the Flyers with the Eric Lindros trade. Big NO for me.

JPRouve

Scout
I have seen Quebec fleecing the Flyers with the Eric Lindros trade. Big NO for me.
My initial reaction was "hell no" and I agree with you but my second thought was that McDavid is probably the only athlete that could justify it. Though I would say, that one less forward and one less pick are fairer.

On a more serious note, yesterday I was reading a bit about the Habs prospects on defense and there is no room for all of them, whether they are in college, AHL or the NHL they all somehow improved a lot this year. It's going to be difficult to choose who is going to be traded for missing pieces like a bonafide number one goalie and a couple of high octane wingers.

londonredmaniac

@londonredmaniac Scathing video of the Jim Benning/Jim Rutherford era by UrinatingTree.:eek:

fecking hell that's damning.

It's pretty bang on the nose from what I can gather.

Miller and Boeser extensions, OEL contract.

The fact that nor Petey or Hughes should consider resigning with this absolute shit show is alarming.

The way Bruce was handled was nothing short of toxic. The fan support that still exists is testament to the guy himself but just as much to the distain towards management and ownership. Rutherford is fairly unlikable tbh. Aquilini even more so.

The Miller contract makes no sense, the more I think about it the more nuts it gets.

All I wanted to do was go to Canada....went to a game on the last night and got hooked in. Now I'm up at 3am watching a team I barely knew existed 2 years ago (well I'm not at the moment. feck paying a sub and waking up for that).

Anyway, thanks for that :)

londonredmaniac

My initial reaction was "hell no" and I agree with you but my second thought was that McDavid is probably the only athlete that could justify it. Though I would say, that one less forward and one less pick are fairer.

On a more serious note, yesterday I was reading a bit about the Habs prospects on defense and there is no room for all of them, whether they are in college, AHL or the NHL they all somehow improved a lot this year. It's going to be difficult to choose who is going to be traded for missing pieces like a bonafide number one goalie and a couple of high octane wingers.
We'll take anybody that can actually defend!!! Of they're going spare? ;)

JPRouve

Scout
We'll take anybody that can actually defend!!! Of they're going spare? ;)
There are a few of them that will slip through the cracks, among veterans Matheson and Savard could be dealt in the next 18 months, Kovacevic is an older rookie that is a solid NHL third liner. But the issue comes with Mailloux, Struble, Norlinder, Engstrom and Hutson all improving or confirming their talents while Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris and Barron have shown that they are NHL defencemen.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Stars still leading the division despite a disastrous run over the last 15 games or so. Thankfully, the rest of the division is bang average/struggling if the standings are representative of overall play.

RedDevilQuebecois

@calodo2003 What do you think about this?

Not going to criticize a GM who just went to 3 Stanley Cup finals, but what was Julien Brisebois thinking on that one? That's only Tanner Jeannot, man! Jeannot got 14 points and 85 PIM in 56 games for Nashville this season.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
@calodo2003 What do you think about this?

Not going to criticize a GM who just went to 3 Stanley Cup finals, but what was Julien Brisebois thinking on that one? That's only Tanner Jeannot, man! Jeannot got 14 points and 85 PIM in 56 games for Nashville this season.
Admittedly, my hockey engagement has been less than average the past couple of months (typical for me), but that’s a fecking haul for Nashville. We can definitely utilize Jeannot’s grit & toughness & take any increase in his offensive output as a bonus. He also can help us kill penalties off. We definitely think we have a squad that’s going to go deep in the playoffs this season & beyond (take a look at our draft pick situation, it looks like the NHL equivalent of the LA Rams), but we may be harming us re: a rebuild in a few years’ time.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Stupid amount of picks for Jeannot. If the Lightning don't win the cup then it's even more stupid.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

My favorite player alongside Toews on those Stanley Cup winning teams, sad to see him move on :(

massi83

Not sure when, if ever, there has been such unbalance between conferences with 6 of the 7 best teams coming from east.

MrMarcello

Not sure when, if ever, there has been such unbalance between conferences with 6 of the 7 best teams coming from east.
I remember back from around 1997 to 2002 the West was stacked in the top four or five sides - Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, St Louis. Even the Sharks had a squad that could have held their own against the East winner had they gone through the West.

massi83

I remember back from around 1997 to 2002 the West was stacked in the top four or five sides - Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, St Louis. Even the Sharks had a squad that could have held their own against the East winner had they gone through the West.
I would say that Devils and Flyers were top 7 teams during most of those years, especially if Lindros had stayed healthy. Disparity pre cap era is also less surprising. Not that this is an extremely unlikely scenario, a little flippant comment from me.

Would have thought couple of teams in the west would do more on the trade deadline. Since only Colorado is a great team there. And they have some question marks over health. That would make a bigger difference on any teams winning odds, compared to Tampa and Toronto putting more chips in, when their somewhat likely road to cup is playing against 4th/5th best team, then number 1, then number 2/3 and again in finals against 2/3.

londonredmaniac

Can anyone shed some light on Filip Hronek for me?

We've just given up a conditional first in the Horvat trade for him...I'm in the dark really but the initial reaction doesn't seem all that great...

Our last few trades have sounded quite sensible and this sounds anything but?

Last edited:

MrMarcello

Just how good is Boston? Are they possibly an all-time great side in regular season play? Should they win the Cup are we looking at discussion amongst the greatest sides ever?

Btw, would it make more sense for the NHL to award three points for a win?

massi83

Just how good is Boston? Are they possibly an all-time great side in regular season play? Should they win the Cup are we looking at discussion amongst the greatest sides ever?

Btw, would it make more sense for the NHL to award three points for a win?
All-time, no. Montreal on 76-77 and 77-78 at least were better. Cap-era, probably.

And it is a team that is also built for playoff, unlike say last year's Panthers that were a soft regular season team. Only Hall, Zacha and Grzelcyk are on the softer side. If both Hall and Foligno come back from injuries for the playoffs, or even just one of them, there are zero holes in that team. But an injury to Bergeron/McAvoy/Pastrnak would change it. Still only a ~20% favourites at the moment.

Yes, absolutely should be 3-2-1-0, but doubt they change it

Skåre Willoch

They’re already a histroically good team - just look at the goal difference. +105, Devils in second has +53. Insane. Super deep with 4 good lines, a fine mix of younger and older greats. Absolutely incredible. And their trade deadline aquisitions seem perfect as well.

But with hockey being the animal it is, I fully expect the playoffs to be incredibly tough. So many good teams in the east.