NHL 2023/2024

massi83

Remember when it was "the greatest failure in the history of sports" to lose 4-3 against Florida.

Last edited:

RedDevilQuebecois

UrinatingTree is perfect at impersonating Hurricanes Man; he did that imitation of a redneck a few years ago to have a laugh at the joke that the Hurricanes were. This one is just HILARIOUS with a Brass Bonanza too.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

massi83

Latvia with first ever medal in WC! Hopefully Germany takes first gold later tonight

RedDevilQuebecois

Latvia with first ever medal in WC! Hopefully Germany takes first gold later tonight
Canada came back time and time again before they went for the kill in the 3rd period.

Being a Habs fan, I'm really happy to see Samuel Montembeault winning gold as the team's no. 1 goalie. It also means that the Habs can do something with him as a no. 1 for as long as the coaches solve defensive structure issues.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Gutless to go out in an elimination game and not even turn up, Stars should be ashamed and refund ticket costs to those in attendance.

Thinking Vegas is gonna take out Florida as well.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Canada came back time and time again before they went for the kill in the 3rd period.

Being a Habs fan, I'm really happy to see Samuel Montembeault winning gold as the team's no. 1 goalie. It also means that the Habs can do something with him as a no. 1 for as long as the coaches solve defensive structure issues.
Montemeault is a blessing for the Habs and Primeau seemed to improve during the season.

Who are your favorite targets for the first round picks?

RedDevilQuebecois

Montemeault is a blessing for the Habs and Primeau seemed to improve during the season.

Who are your favorite targets for the first round picks?
Will Smith and Ryan Leonard from the USNTDP are my obvious picks. I know people speak about Matvei Michkov a lot as a possibility if the teams ranked 2nd through 4th pass on him, but his situation is far more complicated because of the war and the contract with SKA St. Petersburg. Gotta remember that Michkov's dad died in very mysterious circumstances recently as well (government-sanctioned intimidation?). Unless some club manages to do with Michkov what the Nordiques did with the Stastnys in 1980, I don't think it's worth wasting a highly-ranked draft pick to select him.

RedDevilQuebecois

Oh, God, I can imagine the salt if Dubas ends up rebuilding a Cup-contending team anyhow in Pittsburgh right under the noses of the Leafs. :lol: I was also reminded that Larry Murphy and Phil Kessel used to be scapegoats in Toronto before they won it all with the Pens.

RedDevilQuebecois

Vegas have to be the dirtiest and most despicable bunch of cnuts there is in hockey. What is even worse is how the NHL seems to be rigging a number of things for them, and it's only Game 1.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Boehly has to be considered a pioneer at this point ;)

JPRouve

Scout
Boehly has to be considered a pioneer at this point ;)

I just saw this. I was a bit worried when I read about a potential bridge contract instead both Suzuki and Caufield signed team friendly long contracts. :D

Regarding length, MLB is the kingdom of long contracts Tatis Jr signed a 14 yeras contract and plenty of guys have 10+ years ones.

massi83

I just saw this. I was a bit worried when I read about a potential bridge contract instead both Suzuki and Caufield signed team friendly long contracts. :D

Regarding length, MLB is the kingdom of long contracts Tatis Jr signed a 14 yeras contract and plenty of guys have 10+ years ones.
That's certainly not a team friendly contract.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Boehly is involved in baseball too. Clearly the entire sports world is playing to his tune.

Burn yeah in all seriousness, this is awesome news. I can’t wait to be excited by Habs again. Last year was … I mean yikes.

JPRouve

Scout
Cap is going up by around a million this year and they expect a 2-3million jump the year after that. That makes the deal extremely good if he continues his current level of play.
He extended 8 years instead of pushing for a bridge contract and put himself in a position to test free agency early. That's team friendly.:drool:

massi83

Cap is going up by around a million this year and they expect a 2-3million jump the year after that. That makes the deal extremely good if he continues his current level of play.
Extremely good, heh. Settle down. Everybody knows the cap is going to rise. But for instance evolving hockey has his contract at 6.665m×8 at 83.5m cap. The cap would have to be on average 98.5m for this to be market value deal, meaning that last 4 years of the deal cap would have to be a lot over 100m, and around the last year of the contract it would have to 115m-ish. Maybe it will be. But those numbers are only for a market value deal. So much for "extremely good" or "team-friendly".

The good thing for Montreal is that, for next couple of years, it doesn't matter, if they are overpaying. Since they’re window isn't open anyway. For the last 4 years it probably will be a good to ok deal. And that's what mainly matters for Montreal.

massi83

Reminder that Florida specifically wanted Vegas to take Marchessault in the expansion draft and chose to protect Mark Pysyk and Alec Petrovic over him.

RedDevilQuebecois

Good explanation for dummies about the mess known as the Arizona Coyotes.

Please move that franchise somewhere else.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Reinbacher is pretty much NHL ready and will be a Top 2 defenseman on the right side in a couple years. It was a really good pick up. I was hoping he would somehow fall to Detroit at 9.

RedDevilQuebecois

Who did you want them to pick?
If Will Smith was taken before 5th (he was), then Ryan Leonard would have been my man. We need players who can be both talented and physically strong to play a style that is compatible with playoff hockey.

JPRouve

Scout
Reinbacher is pretty much NHL ready and will be a Top 2 defenseman on the right side in a couple years. It was a really good pick up. I was hoping he would somehow fall to Detroit at 9.
That's the thing for me up until hours before the draft I was against the idea of drafting Reinbacher due to the Habs having a lot of young defenders. But it is that logic that has caused them issues where they didn't pick the most talented players due to roster considerations. If Reinbacher is a top 2 defenseman and a puck moving defenseman on top of that then it's the right decision, those players are precious.

JPRouve

Scout
I’m not particularly familiar with this Reinbacher kid, but Habs fans are fuming with this pick.

https://theathletic.com/4651006/2023/06/29/montreal-canadiens-draft-david-reinbacher-analysis/

Montreal native and hockey data expert Thibaud Chatel works extensively with teams in Switzerland tracking data and providing detailed analytics to his clients and subscribers. His service, NL Ice Data, tracked 22 of Reinbacher’s games with Kloten, and came to the following conclusion.
“To get deeper, we also have a prospects model, which looks at every player from 16 to 22 and projects their potential career (until) they reach 30 years old. On this one, Reinbacher was simply the second-best player in the draft behind (Connor) Bedard, with a 52 percent chance of being an ‘Elite’ (top 10 percent) player in the league on average during the next decade.”

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Thanks. I’m sold.
You are welcome. Pretty much everything you will see about him points to one of those rare players that rarely enter free agency or are traded. Of course he could be a bust like every other draftees but outside of Michkov, Reinbacher was arguably the best player available and he plays a position that wasn't necessarily of need but that is arguably the most valuable outside of top 6 centers.

I saw this interview this morning and the fact that he is running the PP is an other thing that the press and some fans are completely missing. On paper he is exactly the type of prospect that you should want. The reason people are against him is because he is a defenseman and that the Habs need to add top offensive talent. Basically Habs fans are crying for the team to draft for need.

Also this article gives you more context about his development in the NL.

massi83

Lots of 1 year contracts going round, the limited cap making things a bit different.
Yeah. Bertuzzi is bit of a surprise, but does also make sense. Pad your stats with great offensive players, and sign the long-term deal next year when cap goes up. Better not get injured though.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I was dubious about how the leafs started this off season, I actually think we’ve improved

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Managed to get Section A21 tickets at the Avicii Arena for the Detroit Vs. Toronto game and section A11 Row 4 for the Detroit Vs. Ottawa game (which should have some spice given the DeBrincat shenanigans). Cost an arm and a leg but its a once (twice) in a lifetime experience and I get to come back home and watch the Semi Professional NIHL Milton Keynes Lightning serve up something resembling the sport I will have just watched.