Nigeria kit sells out in three hours

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
All the Nigerians in the world could say they find such jokes offensive and stereotypical but you would have people here who are not the victims of the joke saying otherwise.

The level of scrutiny against offensive statements here is somehow dependent on the people at the receiving end. I do wonder what would happen if a stereotypical and offensive joke about a particular European nation or its people in particular was said here.
Nigeria is stereotyped for scamming, The Dutch are stereotyped for being cheap, stoned, gay, smelly greedy cnuts who sleep with their bicycles. Who cares, it's just that, a stereotype.

E-mal

So I guess they are called princes of Yoruba right?

I won't dare teaching Nigerians about Nigeria but it seems that some Nigerians can learn a thing or two about sense of humour
Nigeria is a beautiful place to visit, not so much about the environment but for the people. We see humor in most things, we take negatives and present them in good light but when a joke begins to distort reality or present us in a bad light to many uninformed people, you must understand if we take exceptions to it.
I never saw the comment as racist and really I dont care about racists, this is not the first time someone is making this stereotypical comments, infact someone actually alluded to me been a scammer from just introducing myself in the newbie forum, that was why I tried to bring your attention to it.
By all means feel free to always speak your mind, this way atleast you might know what is offensive to others. I think is enough on this issue.

I hope we have a respectable outing at the world cup, albeit in a very difficult group.

Gbenger

Nigeria is stereotyped for scamming, The Dutch are stereotyped for being cheap, stoned, gay, smelly greedy cnuts who sleep with their bicycles. Who cares, it's just that, a stereotype.
I can’t remember seeing such jokes against Dutch people at the same frequency I see scam statements about Nigerians.

Regardless, I am willing to admit it happens very often and I don’t notice it because I’m not Dutch. Now, if you are Dutch, and you don’t find such jokes offensive or stereotypical in particular, why should you care that Nigerians take offense against such jokes?

I mean, why must they behave similarly or see things the same way as you?

You see, you’re guilty of the same thing I spoke against in my previous post. Though, it’s obviously not your intention. That you could take a joke does not give you the right to ask others to take it too. It’s very simple.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The first response to my intoduction in the newbie introduction thread was some dude making a joke about me scamming him because am from that part of the world. Is offesnsive when perhaps people just make stereotypes about you without even knowing you even though quite alot is done in good humor.
I am sure you meant no harm, but you must understand.
Stereotyping and exaggeration of a stereotype in a bid to ridicule such stereotyping are two different and often contrasting things. Now the news came from the daily mail which is extremely anti immigration and thrashy. It seemed to me that the idea was to to create sensationalism on something that is really a non story, which would then be indirectly used to fuel the wrong idea of immigrants having their own priorities wrong.. My attempt was to ridicule such stereotyping by exaggerating on another stereotype (oh yeah, the Nigerian prince made them do it) in an attempt to make them look silly.

Its similar to what many professionals (lawyers, doctors, accountants) do when being accused of making too much money or being heartless etc. They would say 'ah yes I have just left the yacht and Im heading now to my palace at the beach'. That doesn't mean they have a yacht or a palace at all.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I can’t remember seeing such jokes against Dutch people at the same frequency I see scam statements about Nigerians.

Regardless, I am willing to admit it happens very often and I don’t notice it because I’m not Dutch. Now, if you are Dutch, and you don’t find such jokes offensive or stereotypical in particular, why should you care that Nigerians take offense against such jokes?

I mean, why must they behave similarly or see things the same way as you?

You see, you’re guilty of the same thing I spoke against in my previous post. Though, it’s obviously not your intention. That you could take a joke does not give you the right to ask others to take it too. It’s very simple.
Last thing I'll say on this, since this thread is for discussing the horrible new kit :)

My post was simply aiming to answer your hypothetical question. I'm not saying whether you should or should not be offended.

Now that you mention it though, I do disagree on the reason for being offended. There is a line between banter and insult. Good friends can insult eachother in terrible ways without it actually being discriminating or offensive. For instance, I have a gay friend that I've known for 20 years whom I sometimes tell to stop being a fag about things. He doesn't care since he knows I don't actually mean what I'm saying. I would, however, never ever dream of saying something like this to someone I don't know very well. Now there's no visible line saying when it's okay to say something like this. This is where the fact that we're not robots come into play. There's a time and place for saying offensive things and it's up to you to figure out what that time and place is. The joke in this thread, to me, is obviously light hearted banter and not meant to defame Nigeria as a nation or people. It should be taken in the same way that jokes about Livepool fans shagging there sister should be taken, as banter. That is ofcourse just my opinion. If you take offense by said joke, that's completely up to you, as it should be, since you're Nigerian and I'm not. I do take offense however, when someone tells me that simply questioning whether something is racist automatically makes me a racist or an insensitive prick who doesn't understand what racism means.

Skåre Willoch

Last thing I'll say on this, since this thread is for discussing the horrible new kit :)

My post was simply aiming to answer your hypothetical question. I'm not saying whether you should or should not be offended.

Now that you mention it though, I do disagree on the reason for being offended. There is a line between banter and insult. Good friends can insult eachother in terrible ways without it actually being discriminating or offensive. For instance, I have a gay friend that I've known for 20 years whom I sometimes tell to stop being a fag about things. He doesn't care since he knows I don't actually mean what I'm saying. I would, however, never ever dream of saying something like this to someone I don't know very well. Now there's no visible line saying when it's okay to say something like this. This is where the fact that we're not robots come into play. There's a time and place for saying offensive things and it's up to you to figure out what that time and place is. The joke in this thread, to me, is obviously light hearted banter and not meant to defame Nigeria as a nation or people. It should be taken in the same way that jokes about Livepool fans shagging there sister should be taken, as banter. That is ofcourse just my opinion. If you take offense by said joke, that's completely up to you, as it should be, since you're Nigerian and I'm not. I do take offense however, when someone tells me that simply questioning whether something is racist automatically makes me a racist or an insensitive prick who doesn't understand what racism means.
Good post.

Also, still a great kit.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

The person is not my good friend, banter is always the word used when someone offends someone and doesn't want to acknowledge it.

Now in all honesty I wouldn't even have commented, until someone made an assertion that a Nigerian person would not be offended, to which I responded, well actually I am Nigerian and find it offensive.

Now light hearted banter made in ignorance of the origination of thought behind it (which happens a lot), is water off a ducks back, but that doesn't mean it isn't offensive, because obviously we know the intention isn't to offend, but you don't need the intention to offend to actually offend.

If you told a man from Liverpool he shags his sister, and he got offended, he has every right to, he doesn't have to take it as banter (especially if he has never met you before)

I can think of similar jokes that are said about other people/nations which are seen as banter, light hearted, at the end of the day those who are affected by the perpetuation of the stereotypes can be offended by it.

Its not even to say stop saying the joke, its more to say don't try and tell someone that they shouldn't be offended. BTW I am not saying you did, but there were definitely people in this thread that did so.

When people moan about political correctness gone mad, or the right to freedom of speech, it always amazes me how loud people shutdown a persons right to be offended.

As for the racism part, well I'll just swerve that conversation all together.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The person is not my good friend, banter is always the word used when someone offends someone and doesn't want to acknowledge it.

Now in all honesty I wouldn't even have commented, until someone made an assertion that a Nigerian person would not be offended, to which I responded, well actually I am Nigerian and find it offensive.

Now light hearted banter made in ignorance of the origination of thought behind it (which happens a lot), is water off a ducks back, but that doesn't mean it isn't offensive, because obviously we know the intention isn't to offend, but you don't need the intention to offend to actually offend.

If you told a man from Liverpool he shags his sister, and he got offended, he has every right to, he doesn't have to take it as banter (especially if he has never met you before)

I can think of similar jokes that are said about other people/nations which are seen as banter, light hearted, at the end of the day those who are affected by the perpetuation of the stereotypes can be offended by it.

Its not even to say stop saying the joke, its more to say don't try and tell someone that they shouldn't be offended. BTW I am not saying you did, but there were definitely people in this thread that did so.

When people moan about political correctness gone mad, or the right to freedom of speech, it always amazes me how loud people shutdown a persons right to be offended.

As for the racism part, well I'll just swerve that conversation all together.
Can’t disagree with anything you say here really. Especially about the right to be offended that you mention. Thanks for elaborating.

Now back on topic:
The kit truly is terrible :-)

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I was on board with you saying that it's perhaps more damaging than some jokey generalisations, but of course you can question why someone is offended and suggest that it's not worth being offended about. Why should that be untouchable? It just opens the door to nonsense otherwise (which I'm not saying this is).

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I was on board with you saying that it's perhaps more damaging than some jokey generalisations, but of course you can question why someone is offended and suggest that it's not worth being offended about. Why should that be untouchable? It just opens the door to nonsense otherwise (which I'm not saying this is).
There is clearly a difference to asking why and having a conversation and dialogue about it, and saying someone is silly, being rude and shouting them down for being offended.

fellaini's barber

Its hilarious reading the back and forth about that joke being offensive. Didn't find it remotely offensive myself, but then I doubt I could get 'offended' by something written over the internet but to each his own I guess. As for the kit I love it but only because of the 94 world cup inspiration, I remember being woken up at ungodly hours by the racket and coming out to a packed sitting room and for once in my life the parents didn't order me back to bed. The timing for any tournament hosted in the US is always a pain in the arse for us here. And that song is awesome.