Niklas Süle \ signs for Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Not an ambitious move, is it? Yes he’ll now become an important player who should start much more but he could’ve walked into a top Premier League side who challenges for league and Champions League titles. And earned MUCH more money doing so than Dortmund pay.

Strange move unless he’s one of those guys who doesn’t ever want to leave his home country.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not an ambitious move, is it? Yes he’ll now become an important player who should start much more but he could’ve walked into a top Premier League side who challenges for league and Champions League titles. And earned MUCH more money doing so than Dortmund pay.

Strange move unless he’s one of those guys who doesn’t ever want to leave his home country.
Actually it is quite well documented that he likes the PL and wanted to get a move there (WhatsApp messages sent to his agent were used as evidence in a trial against that agent, that's why the public knows some of this definitely).

I also have trouble to understand why he did this. The only idea I have is that this is a massive "feck you" towards the Bayern board. And if you see it this way it is at least ambitious: Leaving Bayern and breaki g their winning streak in the league would make him a massive legend over night, especially for Dortmund.

ShoePolish

Weird move, doesn't it usually happen the other way around? Is today the opposite day?

Weird timing too, shades of Goetze move here, announced so early, either stupidity or bad blood between Bayern and Sule. Guess it's bench time for ol' Niklas for the next 5 months.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Actually it is quite well documented that he likes the PL and wanted to get a move there (WhatsApp messages sent to his agent were used as evidence in a trial against that agent, that's why the public knows some of this definitely).

I also have trouble to understand why he did this. The only idea I have is that this is a massive "feck you" towards the Bayern board. And if you see it this way it is at least ambitious: Leaving Bayern and breaki g their winning streak in the league would make him a massive legend over night, especially for Dortmund.
Dortmund will surely be taking a considerable step back when Haaland leaves this summer, no? If they can’t get close to Bayern with that monster in their team they’ll be nowhere within a hundred miles of them without him.

He could’ve comfortably walked into the XI here at Chelsea, or United/City/Liverpool.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Weird move, doesn't it usually happen the other way around? Is today the opposite day?

Weird timing too, shades of Goetze move here, announced so early, either stupidity or bad blood between Bayern and Sule. Guess it's bench time for ol' Niklas for the next 5 months.
There is some bad blood between him and Bayern's board, but Nagelsmann rates him and he plays all the time. Also Bayern doesn't have that many options at CB, especially not when they have to field three of them. Pavard, Nianzou and Stanisic are not on his level, so benching him would hurt Bayern more than it would hurt him now after he signed his new contract. Might even become a point where manager and board get into trouble with each other.

In any way, might be that FC Hollywood is back in business now :lol:

Edit: There are some precedents. Götze moved Dortmund > Bayern > Dortmund, Hummels even Bayern (youth) > Dortmund > Bayern > Dortmund in recent years.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Dortmund will surely be taking a considerable step back when Haaland leaves this summer, no? If they can’t get close to Bayern with that monster in their team they’ll be nowhere within a hundred miles of them without him.

He could’ve comfortably walked into the XI here at Chelsea, or United/City/Liverpool.
There are big questions around Dortmund's future, in the end they need a positive result for every one of these:

Will they get their preferred Haaland replacement (Adeyemi)?
Will they keep Moukoko and will he get back on track after his injuries (who is destined to become Germany's best striker since Gerd Müller)?
Will they sign another top class CB (in other words, will Nico Schlotterbeck move from Freiburg to Dortmund or Bayern)?
Will they be able to get another decent DM?
Will Marco Rose finally up his game (or be replaced by another manager of better quality)?

If they do, this should mean they can let go of Witsel, Hummels or Akanji and of course Haaland, but if all this should work out and their other youngsters keep evolving too, than I could see them at least challenging Bayern.

Blackwidow

There are big questions around Dortmund's future, in the end they need a positive result for every one of these:

Will they get their preferred Haaland replacement (Adeyemi)?
Will they keep Moukoko and will he get back on track after his injuries (who is destined to become Germany's best striker since Gerd Müller)?
Will they sign another top class CB (in other words, will Nico Schlotterbeck move from Freiburg to Dortmund or Bayern)?
Will they be able to get another decent DM?
Will Marco Rose finally up his game (or be replaced by another manager of better quality)?

If they do, this should mean they can let go of Witsel, Hummels or Akanji and of course Haaland, but if all this should work out and their other youngsters keep evolving too, than I could see them at least challenging Bayern.
Which youngsters will there be for a longer period?
Süle is a good defender - but he did not get the recognition at Bayern as they wanted him to grow into leading the defense - but he is not really leader material - and that is what Dortmund would need, too.

He actually goes the easiest way. He will have a starting position in Dortmund and does not need to fight for it. He will atleast earn as much as he had as offer from Bayern - probably additional money as "hand money" for the transfer.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Which youngsters will there be for a longer period?
Someone with better insight into their squad might know more, I am primarily thinking about Bellingham and Reyna. If they progress further their midfield/wings should be quite strong.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
The longer I'm thinking about Süle's reasons to join Dortmund, the less I understand his decision.

He won everything at Bayern. League, DFB cup and Champions League. Also he feels the club doesn't show him the appreciation he deserves. Thus I can understand Süle is looking for a new challenge.
I could have fully understood him joining a top EPL club and adding trophies to his belt in another country, also joining a Spanish top club.

But why choose Dortmund? Being from Frankfurt he has no association with Dortmund, like Reus has. Even in the best case he can only win the same titles he already won multiple times with Bayern. Albeit the chance to win any title is much lower at Dortmund. He isn't that strong and such a leader that he could transform Dortmund into a serious Bayern challenger. Financially, he won't make much more than he would have at Bayern, and if Dortmund will pay him significantly more than Bayern, one has to question the sanity of their board.

So yeah he might be upset that Bayern didn't offer him a better deal and decided to move to their closest rival for free to piss off the Bayern management. However, I don't think he is such a big loss for Bayern and we will get an adequate or even better replacement.

Thus it's really a very weird move. Yeah me might have showed the middle finger to the Bayern board but at what cost for himself. Of all three parties involved Süle is one who profits from this move the least.

Reactions: Dargonk

Blackwidow

Someone with better insight into their squad might know more, I am primarily thinking about Bellingham and Reyna. If they progress further their midfield/wings should be quite strong.
Do you expect Bellingham or Reyna to stay for long? For Bellingham Dortmund is a stepstone - the same probably for Reyna whose father has started his career in Germany, too - but then left to Rangers, Sunderland and then played 4 years for City.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Do you expect Bellingham or Reyna to stay for long? For Bellingham Dortmund is a stepstone - the same probably for Reyna whose father has started his career in Germany, too - but then left to Rangers, Sunderland and then played 4 years for City.
I am quite sure that he won't leave in this summer. Difficult to project further ahead, but of all young talents Dortmund have Bellingham is somehow the one I could imagine to stay for a few more years. Not even sure why, it is just a gut feeling.

And anyways if you look at the facts, he could easily spent five more years in Dortmund and when he then moves on he would still be just 23.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I am quite sure that he won't leave in this summer. Difficult to project further ahead, but of all young talents Dortmund have Bellingham is somehow the one I could imagine to stay for a few more years. Not even sure why, it is just a gut feeling.

And anyways if you look at the facts, he could easily spent five more years in Dortmund and when he then moves on he would still be just 23.
In theory you are correct. But being English, Bellingham will be on the shopping list of every top club, if his development continues like the last 2 years.
A lot will depend on whether Dortmund can challenge for titles. Honestly I doubt they will. Haaland will move on this or next season. Hummels, Reus and Witsel are beyond their peak and only will get worse.
Can't see him staying more than 2 more years if Dortmund continues to bottle.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Massive respect for Süle.
That's a bull-like move by him.

Kajus

Were City or Liverpool even in for him?

SATA

I think this move is probably more like a big ‘feck you’ to Bayern? He has won the big trophies there so perhaps he doesn’t have much motivation anymore but to go to a club that’s a rival to Bayern and being a certain starter in BVB’s XI. I thought he’s actually more interested in the money and going to Newcastle in the summer

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
All around a strange move.

None of the English clubs offered more than €10m (unlikely)?
It is more than that at Dortmund (unlikely)?
He wants to stick it to Bayern (I guess at least a bit likely)?

Maybe he simply wanted to stay in Germany but was fed up with Bayern’s board.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think this move is probably more like a big ‘feck you’ to Bayern
If so Süle is probably the dumbest footballer on earth. Leaving serial winners to join serial bottlers is more like a big 'feck you' to Süle himself. His career will take a serious hit.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Massive respect for Süle.
That's a bull-like move by him.
Really? What does he gain from the move? I don't see any benefit for him by joining Dortmund. He won't earn more, he won't win more trophies. Looks like he lost all ambition and is just happy to play for the top 4 trophy

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Were City or Liverpool even in for him?
Chelsea apparently were. You know, the current European champions?

United reportedly were, too. A club who should only be a couple of players and a manager away from competing for everything.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
My thoughts as well. Wasn't he supposed to be too expansive, according to Kahn? How then can Dortmund afford him?
Yeah, i've written my thoughts about this transfer (before it was fact), and other contract situations in the context of the priorization of keeping and paying Lewandowski, Müller, and Neuer, in the transfer tweets thread, so shameless self-quote go:
Somehow these things do not fill me with confidence in our mid and longterm planning, at all. Sure, I'd love for Lewandowski, Müller, and Neuer to stay at Bayern until their careers' ends, but if that means we'll lose younger players left and right for that end, the club can't possibly think that this is a sensible course we're on. Not meeting Süle's salary expectations because we need to keep salaries in check is the one thing, and not per se bad, but it's questionable if one of the main driving factors here is reserving the wages for our superstar trio of 30+(++) players.
Losing Süle without a fee because we won't pay him more, *buying* a replacement *and* pay that guy more than Süle was offered? That's just staggeringly stupid. That's what the rumors about Christensen come down to, at least, and i doubt we'll get a semi-established defender and come away any better than what I outlined.
Then there's the stuff about the stalling of Gnabry's extension, again for salary questions, as Gnabry expects to be in the same pay bracket as Coman and Sané (and why wouldnt he be?), but Bayern being reluctant to meet him and putting his signature at risk.
Similar story with Nübel, although money is not the main talking point here. We're about to lose him, too, since he's not getting a whiff of game time with Neuer at the club - who has just been announced out for at least 3-4 weeks.
I appreciate that the club bosses are between a rock and a hard place here, with money being mostly earned instead of injected from a bottomless pit, but banking everything on some of our oldest players is just asking for disaster a few years down the road.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.