Gaming Nintendo Switch

I'm pretty sure there's some version of Street Fighter on the Switch. Not sure which one though.
There's the anniversary collection, which I have but I didn't realise the games in that were straight up ports and not the definitive versions... like why the feck did they do that? Surely it's better to have SF1, SSF2T, SF Alpha Max, SF3 Online Edition... as opposed to like 12 games that are all ports.

And then there's USF2 on the Switch, which I do wanna buy but it's never on sale.

Even with those two, the online scene is dead on Switch so it's not exactly great.

Octopath Traveler 2 and a new Fire Emblem?

I still haven't played the first Octopath installment and Fire Emblem Three Houses. :boring:
Octopath traveler was such a massive disappointment for me. The game had so much potential, with its lovely art style, FF SNES-era worthy soundtrack (seriously, it's that good) and interesting battle system. But the one-dimensional characters, weak writing and its failure to connect the different stories in any way (at least in the +-25 hours I played) ruined the whole thing. It also became a seriously tedious, formulaic grind very quickly.

It's not necessarily a bad game, just not even close to a good one. I recommend skipping it. Maybe the second one will be an improvement.

Octopath is good. Three Houses is probably my favourite Switch Game alongside BOTW. It's brilliant!

Octopath traveler was such a massive disappointment for me. The game had so much potential, with its lovely art style, FF SNES-era worthy soundtrack (seriously, it's that good) and interesting battle system. But the one-dimensional characters, weak writing and its failure to connect the different stories in any way (at least in the +-25 hours I played) ruined the whole thing. It also became a seriously tedious, formulaic grind very quickly.

It's not necessarily a bad game, just not even close to a good one. I recommend skipping it. Maybe the second one will be an improvement.

Ah, doesn't sound promising. I must confess I bought the game mainly for its artstyle and the Final Fantasy setting.
I saw Youtube video reviews that the game improves 30+ hours in.

At least Massive Spanner likes it.
I have to try it myself, but there are so many games I want to play: Xenoblade, Triangle Strategy, Tokyo Mirage Sessions: #FE Encore, Monster Hunter Rise, Devil Survivor for the NDS.

Have you played Fire Emblem: Three Houses? Any good? Want to pick it up due to Massive (Spanner's) praise. ;)

Last edited:

Second this. The art style suckered me in but it's a seriously bland game.

@Unam333 If you like Final Fantasy, my recommendation is Xenoblade. The gameplay isn't the same but it's up there with FF7, 9 + 10 in terms of storytelling and setting.

One of my favourite JRPGs ever alongside Chrono Cross, FF7, Xenogears, Lost Odyssey and Mother 3.

Last edited:
Second this. The art style suckered me in but it's a seriously bland game.

@Unam333 If you like Final Fantasy, my recommendation is Xenoblade. The gameplay isn't the same but it's up there with FF7, 9 + 10 in terms of storytelling and setting.

One of my favourite JRPGs ever alongside Chrono Cross, FF7, Xenoblade, Lost Odyssey and Mother 3.
Have you played all three Xenoblades? How do they compare to each other quality wise?

Have you played all three Xenoblades? How do they compare to each other quality wise?
2 is not fun. I finished it, but it was difficult to do so, think it's generally regarded as the poorest of the 3.

I'm playing 3 now and typically still getting tutorial shit around 12 hours in, it's so massive.

The combat system in them never really manages to suck me in though, but people seem to absolutely love it. I don't really get it. There does seem to be a bit more about it in the 3rd game, though. I would say it's fine so far, better than the 2nd at least, but nothing special and I'm confused by the stellar reviews.

2 is not fun. I finished it, but it was difficult to do so, think it's generally regarded as the poorest of the 3.

I'm playing 3 now and typically still getting tutorial shit around 12 hours in, it's so massive.

The combat system in them never really manages to suck me in though, but people seem to absolutely love it. I don't really get it. There does seem to be a bit more about it in the 3rd game, though. I would say it's fine so far, better than the 2nd at least, but nothing special and I'm confused by the stellar reviews.
That's just standard Nintendo review tax, if tax was a positive thing.

In all honesty I can't judge it as I haven't played 3 yet, but the remaster of the first was another underwhelming game for me. Don't get why it's considered such a classic. Maybe it just aged poorly but I can't imagine I'd have been that impressed 10 years ago either. Or perhaps it just stood out because that was an era when quality JRPGs were basically non-existent.

Considering getting one friends.

Don't want to get a PS5/Xbox as I will drop down a hole and never be seen again if I do that.

At the same time I'm finding I'd like some mindless gaming activity at certain points - BOTW, Skyrim, pokemon, hollow knight and a few others I'd be very keen for.

Generally worth it? Any recommendations or reviews?

Don't want to get a PS5/Xbox as I will drop down a hole and never be seen again if I do that.

At the same time I'm finding I'd like some mindless gaming activity at certain points - BOTW, Skyrim, pokemon, hollow knight and a few others I'd be very keen for.

Generally with it for said games and the portability if you travel a lot or even if you just want to play somewhere without a TV in the house.

I've had a lot of fun with it but if I was looking for a portable console now, I'd be considering the Steam Deck. It sounds more powerful.

One thing I can tell you - you'll probably drop down an even deeper hole since you're not limited to any specific location in order to play.

Yep. Switch is the best home console since the PS2

Thanks my dudes.

Generally with it for said games and the portability if you travel a lot or even if you just want to play somewhere without a TV in the house.
I've had a lot of fun with it but if I was looking for a portable console now, I'd be considering the Steam Deck. It sounds more powerful.

Yeah just looking into this now.

One thing I can tell you - you'll probably drop down an even deeper hole since you're not limited to any specific location in order to play.

Hopefully - it's really an optics thing, me sitting on the sofa with a small handheld saying yes dear at regular intervals plays much better than me locked in a man dungeon with desk, gaming chair, console, headset, controller and tv sorrounded by crisps forgetting I have a wife and child.

Yep. Switch is the best home console since the PS2

Nice.

Basically no sense in getting anything but OLED version?

Would be better playing in handheld mode but might not be worth the bother if you won't be doing that very often. The price difference is around £50 - about the price of a new game.

I have the OLED version and my little boy has the original version. Any improvements specs wise are lost on me but the screen looks nicer on the OLED one, more brighter.

Anyone got Bayonetta 3? I liked the first 2 games a lot for the gameplay, but the whole vibe of it is so ridiculous, Im not sure I'll get this one.

Anyone got Bayonetta 3? I liked the first 2 games a lot for the gameplay, but the whole vibe of it is so ridiculous, Im not sure I'll get this one.
I just read there were some performance issues, so I would at least have a look at that before buying.

Compared tp the original, it is better to go Oled.
If you only want to play it alone the handheld way, the Lite. The Lite is way more comfortable/lighter when playing a game demanding lot of moving like Splatoon (though Splatoon is the only game that gives me wrist pain). But the Oled/OG are more versatile, since you can play with other people, even casual gamers and on TV screen/monitor. And some people complain some games text is too small on the Lite.

After some help guys really. My 6 year old son wants a switch for Christmas. He likes pokemon and Mario (favourite character is yoshi). What games are there for the switch that you would recommend? I am thinking about a couple of Mario games but not sure they are suitable. Namely:

Yoshis crafted world
Luigis haunted mansion 3

Not sure what actual Mario games there are.

He's played through heartgold on the ds fine, what do people think is the best switch pokemon game? I hear the most recent one has a lot of issues at launch.

After some help guys really. My 6 year old son wants a switch for Christmas. He likes pokemon and Mario (favourite character is yoshi). What games are there for the switch that you would recommend? I am thinking about a couple of Mario games but not sure they are suitable. Namely:

Yoshis crafted world
Luigis haunted mansion 3

He's played through heartgold on the ds fine, what do people think is the best switch pokemon game? I hear the most recent one has a lot of issues at launch.
My son loves Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. You can join and play with him too.

Mario Odyssey is the flagship game for the switch if you want a one player game.

Pokémon sword/ shield are decent games. For a 6 year old probably great. As an adult fairly easy! I’ve not played the new one, but maybe just get that as I think it’s priced similarly and it’s the latest one.

Switch sports is also a lot of fun.

You can also download SNES/ N64 games on it too which is a load of games. We have a SNES Mini and my son is playing that more than the switch.

Yoshis crafted world
Luigis haunted mansion 3

Odyssey has been mentioned. There's also Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe where you can play with him as well. In the latter you can play as a character that can't take damage if it's too difficult.

Yoshis crafted world
Luigis haunted mansion 3

The ones already mentioned by other posters plus Mario Rabbid Kingdom (really, really good game). Luigi’s Mansion 3 is brilliant but some of the solutions (it has a puzzle/strategic element to it) aren’t straightforward and even I’ve had to look online for walkthroughs.

In terms of Pokémon, any of them really. The newer games (I’d say about Gen VI onwards, so that includes switch games) have been deliberately ‘dumbed down’ so to speak to make it easier for kids.

Yoshis crafted world
Luigis haunted mansion 3

He’s probably too young to play mario odyssey on his own but you can play together, you control the movement while he throws the hat around. It’s fun!

Yoshis crafted world
Luigis haunted mansion 3

I have a 6 years old son as well. He likes to play:
Mario Maker 2
Stardew Valley
Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Kirby Star Allies
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (I have to help him with dungeons etc. though)
Rollercoaster Tycoon

In that order.
He plays more games, but those games he plays the most.

Yoshis crafted world
Luigis haunted mansion 3

I would still recommend Pokémon Scarlet or Violet, especially if he discusses about it with friends. But since there is a lot reading, someone would have to guide him and read (same for most of the games). Then all the other Pokémon games are good for kids (but legends probably require someone else to do the boss fights because it requires skills more required of fighting games but the catching of most of the pokémon can be done without initiating any fight, it is even easier to catch pokémon in let's go)

- the first Mario Rabbid game is good (though you may have to do the small puzzle parts) - Buy it when it is cheap with the DLC. Digitally, it is probably on its lowest price every month. It is usually better to wait with Ubisoft games, their price drop after one to three months.

- kirby and the forgotten land

I have a 6 years old son as well. He likes to play:
Mario Maker 2
Stardew Valley
Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Kirby Star Allies
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (I have to help him with dungeons etc. though)
Rollercoaster Tycoon

In that order.
He plays more games, but those games he plays the most.

Thank you that's really useful.

I would still recommend Pokémon Scarlet or Violet, especially if he discusses about it with friends. But since there is a lot reading, someone would have to guide him and read (same for most of the games). Then all the other Pokémon games are good for kids (but legends probably require someone else to do the boss fights because it requires skills more required of fighting games but the catching of most of the pokémon can be done without initiating any fight, it is even easier to catch pokémon in let's go)

- the first Mario Rabbid game is good (though you may have to do the small puzzle parts) - Buy it when it is cheap with the DLC. Digitally, it is probably on its lowest price every month. It is usually better to wait with Ubisoft games, their price drop after one to three months.

- kirby and the forgotten land

Good ones, there are a lot of dialogues and reading in Pokémon Violet and Scarlet though.
I would still recommend the games as those are the newest versions and maybe his school friends are playing the games as well.

Personally, I find the atmosphere in Kirby and the Forgotten Land a bit too dark and I don't fancy the whole city-setting. Kirby Star Allies is much more a Kirby game.

Anyone played rabbids + sparks of hope? Is it anything like the prequel?
Yes, I have played it. I would say that it's pretty safe to say that you will like sparks of hope if you liked the first one. All in all both games are on par for me. Some things are better in the original and some in the sequel. I enjoyed both games.

Yes, I have played it. I would say that it's pretty safe to say that you will like sparks of hope if you liked the first one. All in all both games are on par for me. Some things are better in the original and some in the sequel. I enjoyed both games.
Thanks. Think I’m sold now!

I just got an email saying there are 24 new tracks available for MarioKart?

Is this something I can buy as a DLC type thing, or do I have to sign up for this Switch Online nonsense to get them?

My Switch has been in a drawer for months but I bloody love MarioKart!